• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Update 1.70 is Live

B-Ri

Did you Disable HDCP, maybe that's the problem. Turn it back on to see if it makes a difference too...

my HDCP was never disabled, and disabling it actually makes the problem worse.

I am on an HDMI switcher that also outputs to TOSlink, so I've been sending audio through HDMI to it, then the switcher sends the audio to my reciever via TOSlink.

It worked just fine before 1.70. Toggling the "output 5,1" checkbox doesnt help either. I forced my switcher to 2.1 mode and it plays the audio just fine.

Something changed in the PS4's audio output that is fucking up the switcher/reciever.

When I get home I am going to see if my TV is a decent passthrough, and bypass the toslink audio out from the switcher to the TV and see if that works out better.

B_Boss

That's the ingame music player of the OS but it only works with Music Unlimited at the moment (and it should not show up unless you started MU and played music)

That can't be so because personally, I've opened the App but I don't have a subscription or anything.

Have they ever said if they're going to make checking trophies easier or have they confirmed it's an (incredibly stupid) choice to make you go to the trophy page and search for it manually?

Like, I understand trophies are hacked in to the PS3, but Vita and PS4 still having them done the same way is totally strange.

Also you can open new tab by holding X or close one by holding O. It might have been there before, but I've never known. Also is it me or is flash working now? It seems to work on some websites...

Shin-Ra

Do you always sit that close to the TV? Mine is in my living room so I'm about 10 feet away from it, so never notice the light unless I look down.
Most of the time, yeah. I play console PC-gaming monitor distance.

Obviously normal TV distance players will see the light bar even less.

clintar

I tried to pool all the information we have of the update and finally make a full list out of it:

PlayStation 4 v1.70 full feature list
Nice list!
Probably not a big enough deal to list, but you could add under fixes that the Momentus XT model ST95005620AS works now. Wonder if other drives didn't work and do now.

omonimo

Banned
Downloading now.

194 MB

I am on an HDMI switcher that also outputs to TOSlink, so I've been sending audio through HDMI to it, then the switcher sends the audio to my reciever via TOSlink.

It worked just fine before 1.70. Toggling the "output 5,1" checkbox doesnt help either. I forced my switcher to 2.1 mode and it plays the audio just fine.

Something changed in the PS4's audio output that is fucking up the switcher/reciever.

When I get home I am going to see if my TV is a decent passthrough, and bypass the toslink audio out from the switcher to the TV and see if that works out better.
Yeah HDMI switch seems has some problems with my ps4 too.

Shin-Ra

I think the Blu-ray player UI's been polished up a bit too, looks better than when I tested it after the launch update anyway. Only the placeholder title graphic (that should use the PS3 one) looks low-res and out of place.

Set DIM, the light bar is about the same brightness as the scroll wheel on my 3.5G Deathadder.

14058705576_4c5b5d7979_h.jpg

When I get home I am going to see if my TV is a decent passthrough, and bypass the toslink loaudio out from the switcher to the TV and see if that works out better.

Turn off deep color, it worked for me, I had same issue.

I think the Blu-ray player UI's been polished up a bit too, looks better than when I tested it after the launch update anyway. Only the placeholder title graphic (that should use the PS3 one) looks low-res and out of place.

Set DIM, the light bar is about the same brightness as the scroll wheel on my 3.5G Deathadder.

14058705576_4c5b5d7979_h.jpg

Man, I really enjoy looking at this picture.

Sh0k

Turn off deep color, it worked for me, I had same issue.

Will turning off the Deep Color option affect the sound problem? As soon as I get home from work I will try changing the sound from Dolby Digital to DTS and also turning off Deep Color to see if that helps my audio issues.

Did they change how the USB copying works? My USB drive, which is partitioned, can no longer be used because the PS4 thinks multiple devices are connected.

sammex

Anyone else have a problem with their PS4 shutting off whilst trying to play FF14?

It was working yesterday, then today I installed the PS4 update, all ok, but when I start FF14 the PS4 powers off after you log in and the Square Enix title comes up.

Then when I turn the PS4 back on it starts in safe mode.

This happens everytime I try it. Any solutions?

androvsky

Why is exFAT supported, but not NTFS? Both are Microsoft's proprietary format.

Because MS will happily license exFat to other companies, they will not license NTFS from what I can tell. The only way I can find to use NTFS outside of MS is to use a third-party company's reverse-engineered libraries.

Anyone else have a problem with their PS4 shutting off whilst trying to play FF14?

It was working yesterday, then today I installed the PS4 update, all ok, but when I start FF14 the PS4 powers off after you log in and the Square Enix title comes up.

Then when I turn the PS4 back on it starts in safe mode.

This happens everytime I try it. Any solutions?

Sounds like it might be overheating, maybe? Try initializing your console and see if it still happens

I tried to pool all the information we have of the update and finally make a full list out of it:

PlayStation 4 v1.70 full feature list

(OS) Applications:
  • SHAREfactory video editor app has been added to the content area (see thread)
  • Additional option in the Share button menu to share songs while in the updated Music Unlimited app
  • Capture Gallery shortcut/app has been added to the content area. You can use it to view screenshots and video clips that you saved
  • USB export option for captured gameplay (USB 2.0&3.0, FAT32&exFAT formated devices, but some don't work either way)
  • While watching a Blu-ray or DVD, you can now switch back&forth to the PS4 OS without quitting the movie/disc playback (will still happen when you launch a game, but OS apps like the Internet Browser allow multitasking)
  • What's New feed posts have timestamps now
  • Delete All option in the Internet Browser history

PSN:
  • Automatic pre-download for preordered games on PSN
  • Party chat can host up to 16 people now (instead of 8) EDIT: Or not. Apparently still only 7 more people can join even though it says 16 slots...
  • Ability to search Friends-of-Friends, view Mutual Friends on another user’s profile and accept Friend requests directly from the Friends list.
  • You can now share your real name and profile picture with the close friends of your close friends (= friends of your friends who have accepted the name request of your friends)
  • For Plus members, you’ll now have the PS Plus icon appear next to your SEN ID on the login screen, home screen and other areas
  • Use a custom profile picture (not PSN avatar) via the updated PlayStation App on Android/iOS (see thread for the App update as it also allows now push PSN notifications etc.)
  • [From PlayStation] has been added under Notification (for global PSN announcements etc.)
  • PayPal support (but... it's not there?! Use the web store I guess)

Settings:
  • Option to disable HDCP for games (needs to be switched on if you want to use e.g. blu-ray and Netflix)
  • DualShock4 lightbar intensity can be change to Bright (default), Medium or Dim (ca. half as bright)
  • You can test&adjust your Microphone input volume (Device settings)
  • Audio Mixer for Party Chat: You can manually adjust priority of party versus system audio
  • When the PS4 crashes you can now choose to attach a video clip in the feedback
  • Option to enable sending in the crash reports automatically.
  • You can now e.g. force the PS4 to output 5.1 channel audio over HDMI even if it detects 7.1 channel support. (set primary audio output to HDMI or optical, then mark the desired audio formats)
  • Video setting for Deep Colour Output (automatic by default, switch off if your display reacts weird to it)
  • Default language options for BDs&DVDs, [Blu-ray Disc Data Management], and [Allow Internet Connection] have been added under [Video Playback Settings].
  • [Noise Reduction] has been added as an option that is available during video playback (available in the extra video settings when you watch a BD/DVD, on by default)

Streaming/Share:
  • HD option (=720p) added for streaming gameplay
  • Archive your broadcasts on Twitch or Ustream (via their accounts)
  • Upload video clips and screenshots during your live gameplay broadcasts
  • You can now submit a grief report about an inappropriate profile picture or broadcast.
  • Ability to live-stream and watch PS4 streams via NicoNico (requires Japanese PSN account)
  • Ability to view NicoNico broadcasts from within the updated Playstation App (requires Japanese PSN account)
  • Improved broadcasting layout. Comments/viewers notifications when you are in a full screen streaming (of view comments without having to switch streaming modes)
  • Change the default gameplay recording time in the SHARE menu under Video Clip Settings (1, 3, 5, 10, or 15 minutes)
  • Select specific Facebook audiences to share each video or screenshot with (was only a global setting before)
  • Select multiple screenshots/videos to export/upload

Remote Play:
  • Ability to Remote Play PlayStation 4 from PS Vita TV (PS Vita TV update required)
  • Automatic&faster PS4 Link Update for Remote Play, no code entry necessary when using same PSN account (requires PlayStation Vita v3.15 Update)
  • You can now disable the overlays that appear when you use the touchscreen and back panel during Remote Play (on the Vita)
  • Apparently better Remote Play video quality
  • From Reddit, not sure if new: There's now a Connection History log option under Remote Play Connection Settings
  • From Reddit, not sure if new: L2 / L3 / R2 / R3 are now mapped to the corners of the Vita's touch screen during Remote Play on the homescreen

UI/Input:
  • You can now sort Trophies by rarity in the Options menu
  • Popup notification when a friend joins a party chat (even when you are not in any party chat, can be disabled)
  • Switch user option, allows multi user login with a single DS4.
  • DS4 touchpad can be used to navigate the on-screen keyboard at any time
  • Slightly modified on-screen keyboard and a L2 + Triangle shortcut to switch to the extra characters list
  • The controller rumbles slightly when you switch to GYRO pointing input for the on-screen keyboard now.
  • More voice commands are added to launch the apps installed on your PS4 with the sound of your voice (Netflix, IGN app, Internet Browser, Sharefactory, Vidzone, BBC iplayer etc.)
  • New general voice commands added: "Save Video Clip" and "Start Video Clip"
  • Apparently overall OS improvements (faster loading of the Store/What's New etc.)
  • You can now set a screensaver (only dims the screen, after 15 minutes by default)
  • From Reddit, not sure if new: Your name appears on the battery notification popup

Changes/fixes:
  • No more log in screen when reconnecting the DS4 (even when switching controllers after one has been turned off)
  • Opening the Share menu doesn't automatically save anything anymore. Upload or save videos/screenshots for each capture (apparently saving the last 15 minutes can still be bugged, but the way how seems to have changed due to this)
  • Pressing X on screenshots/videos will now open them in preview mode, viewing screenshots has been fixed and it doesn't crash/black screen anymore
  • While a game is running, the option menu in the OS has "Close Application" and "Delete" far apart now.
  • Scrolling quickly through long friend lists has been fixed
  • The black crush has been fixed when recording gameplay videos
  • [Share Settings] > [Video Clip Settings] > [Indicate Blocked Scenes for Video Recording] is now turned on by default.
  • [Stop Broadcasting] is now under [Broadcast Settings]
  • [Login Settings] and [Initialization] > [Delete User] are now under the newly added [Users].
  • Update History entry is now always at the top (except when selecting a disk-based game). Also has better formating
  • Not sure if new: Information option entry for a PSN game now shows Download Status

You can add better bluray compatibility. Tried Barry Lydon and it works perfectly while before the update it was a stuttering mess and I was forced to play it through my PS3.

After messing around on my PS4 last night, I'm definitely pleased with the improvements this update brought. The friends news feed is finally useful because of timestamps, the streaming quality is finally good, and I can finally dim the controller light to a reasonable level.

The biggest thing I want ASAP is friends notifications, and of course I'd like to change my PSN name, but I've wanted to do that for years now, so I'm not holding my breath anymore. :/

I hope the wait for friends notifications isn't long.

And, is there still no way to copy multiple save files to USB like on the PS3? I want to backup things to a thumb drive, but this is taking way too long since I have to select each game separately.

sammex

Sounds like it might be overheating, maybe? Try initializing your console and see if it still happens

Nope, it's the first thing I tried after turning on the console and updating so I doubt it's too hot and the problem seems to be only with FF14. I'll try reinstalling it before a system initialize.

SkylineRKR

Nope, it's the first thing I tried after turning on the console and updating so I doubt it's too hot and the problem seems to be only with FF14. I'll try reinstalling it before a system initialize.

Don't bother reinstalling, doesn't work. Game keeps on hanging at the Square logo. This is likely an issue with the FW, I am going to initialize it. And I hate this update for wasting my time.

FyreWulff

Why is exFAT supported, but not NTFS? Both are Microsoft's proprietary format.

Because MS will happily license exFat to other companies, they will not license NTFS from what I can tell. The only way I can find to use NTFS outside of MS is to use a third-party company's reverse-engineered libraries.

Androvsky nailed it. NTFS is not even licensed a little bit by MS. And the open source drivers to deal with all still pretty much say "unless you really need to use NTFS in another OS, uh, don't"

Will turning off the Deep Color option affect the sound problem? As soon as I get home from work I will try changing the sound from Dolby Digital to DTS and also turning off Deep Color to see if that helps my audio issues.

It was my last hope before I went crazy and just completely shut everything down and re did it all. But it worked and I ha e it set to pcm linear I think, if that makes a difference but I was happy the audio was working fine again.

On Demand

Banned
It defaults to '1' so remember to turn it off next time you watch a Blu-ray video.

I don't know why the decided to add it for bluray. The PS3's upscaling and noise reduction features are only for DVD's. As it should be.

After messing around on my PS4 last night, I'm definitely pleased with the improvements this update brought. The friends news feed is finally useful because of timestamps, the streaming quality is finally good, and I can finally dim the controller light to a reasonable level.

The biggest thing I want ASAP is friends notifications, and of course I'd like to change my PSN name, but I've wanted to do that for years now, so I'm not holding my breath anymore. :/

I hope the wait for friends notifications isn't long.

They have party notifications so why couldn't they also add friends notifications?????

andshrew

Getting pretty horrible speeds with a USB 2 pen drive formatted in exFAT. Well below 1MB/s same drive gets around 15MB/s on a PC.

Just an update on this for those interested in transfer speeds...

With a USB 3 portable hard drive (a 2TB Seagate Backup Plus), single partition formatted in exFAT it took just 41 seconds to transfer a 835MB file - so around 20MB/s.

Raptor

I turned off Deep Color but it didnt caused any problems while ON, someone could share some thoughts on what is that suposed to do, or what benefit shoudl have while ON?

SkylineRKR

Don't bother reinstalling, doesn't work. Game keeps on hanging at the Square logo. This is likely an issue with the FW, I am going to initialize it. And I hate this update for wasting my time.

quick Initialization works! FFXIV functions again. Initialize is the only solution that works. This might be helpful to those having problems with games since the update.

Sh0k

It was my last hope before I went crazy and just completely shut everything down and re did it all. But it worked and I ha e it set to pcm linear I think, if that makes a difference but I was happy the audio was working fine again.

Thanks, will try that as soon as I get home and will report later how it goes.

Has the 15 minute share bug been fixed?

the old bug that i had pre-1.70 was that it recorded the wrong footage when pressing the Share button, typically the start of the gaming session. Now what happens is the PS4 will simply not record the footage at all, it wont give me a Square button prompt. this varies too, and seems to work occasionally.

I'm not sure if this is the same problem or an entirely new bug. this has happened with 15 minute pre-set and the 1 minute pre-set.

ToD_

I turned off Deep Color but it didnt caused any problems while ON, someone could share some thoughts on what is that suposed to do, or what benefit shoudl have while ON?

Deep Color basically allows the PS4 to output a wider color gamut (30, 36, 48 bit or billion+ colors). This theoretically results in less banding where you'd expect smooth color gradients. The vast majority of content on the PS4 only supports regular 8 bit per channel (24 bits total). Due to the way displays handle colors, however, an increase in color depth may still help in reducing banding - even with 24 bit material.

My display, a Pioneer KRP-500M, will show slight banding with a grayscale gradient with deep color off. With Deep Color enabled/automatic the gradient is completely smooth.

ckohler

If you set up a custom avatar image using the Playstation Mobile app, does that custom image appear when you live stream on Twitch (when using the "show comments mode")? Or does just your normal PSN avatar appear?

mattp

If you set up a custom avatar image using the Playstation Mobile app, does that custom image appear when you live stream on Twitch (when using the "show comments mode")? Or does just your normal PSN avatar appear?

you can only upload a custom profile picture, not avatar

sammex

quick Initialization works! FFXIV functions again. Initialize is the only solution that works. This might be helpful to those having problems with games since the update.

Thanks for the info. It's working again now after doing the initialisation.

Yeah it's frustrating having to reinstall, download and update everything purely because of an update. 2 and a half hours later I can finally start playing. Lucky my broadband is fast or that 12gb dl would have been ultra annoying.

ckohler

you can only upload a custom profile picture, not avatar

I guess I'm confused as to the differences. Don't your friends (and you) see your profile picture? And since I'm broadcasting my screen wouldn't I (and my viewers) see my custom profile pic?

Where do each show up?

FyreWulff

I guess I'm confused as to the differences. Where do each only show up?

the profile pic only shows up locally to you and to people you've accepted a Real Name Request with.

It's pretty silly how it's tied to the Real Name Request but I guess Sony(tm)

ckohler

the profile pic only shows up locally to you and to people you've accepted a Real Name Request with.

But if I see my own custom profile pic on my screen and I broadcast my game, would it show up on the stream?

I imagine it's because they plan on selling avatars as they did before. So to not cut into that profit they're limiting custom pictures to people you know really well/personally.

Shin-Ra

Profile Pic's designed for a picture of your face really, that's why it tied into Facebook originally.

So it makes sense to tie it into the real name request, for privacy.

ckohler

I don't think I'm making myself clear. My question is simple. If I create a custom profile pic, will it show up here...?

orwBtsd.jpg

Prior to 1.70, if you had your camera off it just showed a placeholder image. Now it shows your PSN avatar. However, if you have a custom profile, will it show that instead? You are looking at your own screen and that's what is being broadcast after all.

Thanks.

I don't think I'm making myself clear. My question is simple. If I create a custom profile pic, will it show up here...?

orwBtsd.jpg

Prior to 1.70, if you had your camera off it just showed a placeholder image. Now it shows your PSN avatar. However, if you have a custom profile, will it show that instead? You are looking at your own screen and that's what is being broadcast after all.

Thanks.

As far as I know, it will only show for people you are Real-Name friends with.

Top Bottom