• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/XB1/Wii U sales recap - 2015

Raist

Banned
You said that is a fact, but is not, Raist doesn't know WW Xbox One sales in 2014 and 2015.

And we don't have any precise Xbox One shipment after 5.1 million by march 2014.

I don't "know", sure, but then there's some data and information to work with and common sense. I've made several posts about this in the past.
The counterarguments I usually see are "well this person said that" or "surely the XB1 must have sold X because reasons".

ethomaz

Banned
PS4+XB1 around 20m ahead of where 360+PS3 (38.8m) was in the same timeframe.
First around can means a lot of things like 56m, 57m, 58m, 59m, etc... there are a big range to work here.

Second we need to know how many PS4 was shipped last quarter... it is for sure over 36m (because the sold-thought was 35.9m for end of 2015)... maybe 37m? 38m?

Even so if you want to guess a range then we can work with 18-22m Xbone shipped.

Doesn't look too great for XBO if you remove the launch sales of XBO/360.

When you look at the sales timeline of PS3 and 360, they really started to spike in the third year. XBO could get left behind but this spike might have been GTA IV and big ad campaign MS had in 2008, I believe it was a $300 million. I remember every ad break had something Xbox 360 or 360/GTA IV related that year.

Aenima

Don't know much portuguese apart from obrigado and ate amanha sooo... does that mean PS4 = 12x(WiiU+XB1), or PS4 = 12X WiiU > XB1?
It means 12 PS4 to 1 WiiU+XB1.

Portugal always been a Sony land. But the ratio is higher than i expected.

ethomaz

Banned
The Portugal ratio is crazy and possible true for others small countries.

BTW 360 lt was 7-10k as of November 2007.

dan2026

Its strange the UK was Xbox land last gen, now its Sony heaven.

Microsoft really shot themselves in the foot somewhere.

U.s.,

I'd almost say the 360 winning the Gen Was like 70% luck.

Sony fumbled, and MS had content that made everyone forget there fumbling by a percentage anyway. Sony got back on it's feet but by that time Kinect came out and formed the core of that large gap.

While I could see the 360 winning without ps3 fumbling if they didn't have rrod, the only reason why the 360 beat the Wii here and in other territories, and this applies to Ps3 as well In other countries, is that Nintendo messed up and the Wii abruptly died starting in 2010.

In fact the story here can also apply to the UK and other areas.

Welfare

U.s.,

I'd almost say the 360 winning the Gen Was like 70% luck.

Sony fumbled, and MS had content that made everyone forget there fumbling by a percentage anyway. Sony got back on it's feet but by that time Kinect came out and formed the core of that large gap.

While I could see the 360 winning without ps3 fumbling if they didn't have rrod, the only reason why the 360 beat the Wii here and in other territories, and this applies to Ps3 as well In other countries, is that Nintendo messed up and the Wii abruptly died starting in 2010.

In fact the story here can also apply to the UK and other areas.
Rounding down to nearest 0.1m

360 after 3 years (launch to 08): 13.8m
PS3 after 3 years (launch to 09): 11.1m

360 after 5 years (launch to 10): 25.3m (+83% / +11.5m)
PS3 after 5 years (launch to 11): 19.9m (+79% / +8.8m)

360 after 8 years (launch to 13): 41m (+62% / +15.7m)
PS3 after 8 years (launch to 14): 26.2m (+32% / +6.3m)

360 winning wasn't luck, or going by that logic, the PS4 is winning off of "luck".

360 winning wasn't luck, or going by that logic, the PS4 is winning off of "luck".

Your chart literally proved my point 100%. Unless you want to point out where it doesn't.

noobie

Banned

Its amazing that Ps4 already sold almost half of what PS3 sold in 8 years.

Raist

Banned
Guys it was just a ballpark :p

Ratio probably increased a bit too. especially since we were talking total sales, not launch-aligned performance or anything, so there's an additional 1-2M for the 360's 2014, IIRC.

Raist

Banned
Found some data on Nordic countries (over 0.5M PS4 sold through 2014, PS3's LTD is over 2M), added to the OP.

Raist

Banned
Last week 52 Xbox one were sold in Japan. This change EVERYTHINH.

You shoul update the OP. :p

Haha. Well I stopped the Japanese figures at week 53 2015, because apart from there and the US it's likely the only region we'll get updates before another year.

Welfare

The chart literally refutes your claim by a LARGE margin.

Look at the 5th year comparison. The 360 was $249 for less than a year and a half, the slim revision was out for 6 months and the Kinect was only available for 2 months of 2010.

The PS3 has all of 2011, where there was 2 years of being $299 being accompanied by a slim revision and the PS Move was out for a year.

The 360 was making bigger gains with less time for significant sales events compared to the PS3.

The chart literally refutes your claim by a LARGE margin.

You need to show how instead of just saying the chart refutes my claim. The 360 was already ahead of the PS3 in the US prior to the Kinect. It didn't really need the Kinect's help, but the camera basically made the 360's victory 100% guaranteed.

Raist

Banned
Update for Greece.

According to this article the PS4 has sold ~20k during the holidays, and the XB1 "barely anything". The WiiU is essentially not distributed anymore.
THe PS4:XB1 ratio is 8-9:1

Since the PS4 was at 70k in July, it should be at least 90k so the XB1 is at least 10k.

Raist

Banned
Sooo... could people from some of the missing countries scan some websites to see if there were any HW sales updates recently?
I found the greek one above by essentially looking at the same website that gave numbers before, and was lucky to see an aticle with "PS4 vs XB1" in the title, so that was fairly straightforward and didn't require any knowledge of the language. But obviously that was a lucky one.

I'm thinking especially Spain, Italy, NL, Nordic in particular, as they are reasonably large EU markets.

Raist

Banned
Small update for France, which should now include all of 2015 (previous numbers were missing a couple of weeks at the end of the year).
The numbers I indicated made the assumption that the PS4:XB1:WIU ratios was the same for the last two weeks of December

The update is:
PS4 +33k
XB1 + 10k
WIU + 8k

Welfare

Small update for France, which should now include all of 2015 (previous numbers were missing a couple of weeks at the end of the year).
The numbers I indicated made the assumption that the PS4:XB1:WIU ratios was the same for the last two weeks of December

The update is:
PS4 +33k
XB1 + 10k
WIU + 8k
Nice to see this updated.

Wii U's official (worldwide) total should be updated to 12.6 million as of Febuary 2nd, 2016.

IGN link with info
(fastest I could find, thete was a thread here too).

That is shipped.

Qurupeke

I really didn't think that XBox One was such a failure outside of US/UK. Also, not sure what to make by the PS4 numbers, but overall the generation's numbers are pretty low. :/

Welfare

I really didn't think that XBox One was such a failure outside of US/UK. Also, not sure what to make by the PS4 numbers, but overall the generation's numbers are pretty low. :/

Thank the Wii U. Worldwide totals, Xbox One and PS4 are ahead of their predecessors.

Raist

Banned
So were the 10 million as of September. Main post has reported shipped numbers right at the end of the post.

Correct, and I did mention it. That's the only LTD number we have from Nintendo.
I wonder in how many countries it's distributed, because the shipped - few numbers we have difference is not that huge.

edit: new info for India
PS4 at 100k as of April 2015, XB1 10k LTD ("industry sources").
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/...-till-date-reveals-electronic-arts-cfo-796054

edit2: Australia
PS4 still the fastest selling console ever as of earily December 2015 (Wii was at 750k in Nov. 2008)
http://www.mcvpacific.com/news/read/the-ps4-is-the-fastest-selling-console-ever-in-australia/0160235

So as it stands for the PS4, and including an estimate of 3M for the UK, we're missing ~9.4M sales for the PS4, which includes over 100 countries, and some updates needed for the ones in the OP.

I think we should get at the very least Nordic sales as of 2015 soon.
Spain + Italy is likely another 1M+. Canada is likely over 1M too.

Welfare

Top Bottom