• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/XB1/Wii U sales recap - 2015

Welfare

On the whole, Wii U not doing as bad as everyone on GAF makes you believe in comparison to Xbox One!

The Wii U is doing as bad as people say because it's been on the market for longer. Looking at the Wii U's LTD by the end of its second full year, it was at 9.2 million shipped. The Xbox One is more than doubled that in shipments.

Sterok

So, worldwide PS4 vs XB1 is boring. XB1 vs Wii U worldwide is also boring, if a bit amusing in a few countries. 3DS vs PS4 or XB1 won't be interesting, as it seems it will land well between the two of them. That leaves Wii U vs Vita for the only worldwide battle to not yet be settled. Whooo....

Furthermore...

...Wii U beating Xbox One in all regions with established numbers except for US.

No Xbox one is beating Wii u, the Wii u sold more.

The Wii u with a tear Headstart is going to be stalled on sales and will be passed by a console which arguably had prevously a worse brand image.

In Spain where Xbox ones are used to hold toilet paper the Wii U has hit a wall and will inevitably be beaten.

Na and Japan are all that's left for it and its crashing in both.

The Wii U is doing as bad as people say because it's been on the market for longer. Looking at the Wii U's LTD by the end of its second full year, it was at 9.2 million shipped. The Xbox One is more than doubled that in shipments.

These people continue to ignore reality. It's like saying ps4 would be close to xbone if it wasn't for Europe.

The 360 has sold +40 million outside of the US. I'd think Europe represents more than half of that number.

You think 20+ consoles were sold on Europe of the 40 when we have yet to include Japan, rest of Asia, Oceania, Africa, me, central and south America, carrinean, and Canada?

Raist

Banned
Sigh...

The rate at which the XB1 is "doing better" than the 360 is going down fast.

Ratios:

2013 - 1.56
2014 - 1.21
2015 - 1.15

That's why a lot of people say the whole "yeah but it's doing a lot better than the 360!" thing really doesn't mean much.

Sigh...

Ratios:

2013 - 1.56
2014 - 1.21
2015 - 1.15

That's why a lot of people say the whole "yeah but it's doing a lot better than the 360!" thing really doesn't mean much.

Sigh

None of that means anything 3 years into the Gen. It'll fall behind at Kinect but that really just shows how not too well the 360 was doing before Kinect.

ethomaz

Banned
Huh... So I guess a lot of the German sales for 360 were post Kinect?
MS threaded Europe like Tier 2 for 360 in the first years... they shipped very few console to the continent in 2005/2006.

From this period to half 2008 360 double it sales in Europe ;) it even overtaken PS3 in Germany again for some time before PS3 start to crush it after 2009.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341734

That was before Kinect.

People are doing the wrong comparison... 2008 (that refers to 2016 for Xbone) was when 360 started to sell good in EU.

MS threaded Europe like Tier 2 for 360 in the first years... they shipped very few console to the continent in 2005/2006.

From this period to half 2008 360 double it sales in Europe ;) it even overtaken PS3 in Germany again for some time before PS3 start to crush it there after 2009.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341734

That was before Kinect.

People are doing the wrong comparison... 2008 (that refers to 2016 for Xbone) was when 360 started to sell good in EU.

That was ony a few countries: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=13586300

Not all of eu.

lyrick

So where did Sony hide the missing 10+ Million consoles, did they sprinkle ~100K units on every developing nation not listed in the op?

ethomaz

Banned
So where did Sony hide the missing 10+ Million consoles, did they sprinkle ~100K units on every developing nation not listed in the op?
Well there is about 16-19 countries in OP.
Sony sells PS4 in 123 countries WW.

Canada is probably over 1m or even close to 2m.
There are countries like over 500k.
There are countries like below 10k.

100k avg. for 100 countries looks fine.

BTW they are not hiding because the give us the WW sales for the console.

Sigh...

Ratios:

2013 - 1.56
2014 - 1.21
2015 - 1.15

What was responsible for the XB1 being ahead of the 360 was its launch. The XB1 had ~1 million launch and had plentiful stock throughout 2014. In contrast, the 360 opened much lower and suffered from supply constraints throughout 2006.

Intrigue

Banned
For the average player that want a console to play the big hits of the market, I believe price and which system friends have are the major factors for choose between PS4 or Xbox One.

PS4 having better specs and more japanese games is something appealing in the core world, but not in the mass market.

I don't think so. Sold very well in UK.

I also believe price is very important, but Xbox didnt do much to catch up with PS4 when it was cheaper most of the year and eventually same price. In fact it kept falling behind.

Why is that?

As you put it: the mass market doesn't care about which system is better, nor do they care about niche games.

Before you answer, flip it around and ask yourself how its different from when 360/ps3 came out.

ethomaz

Banned
Does it really?
Again...

Remove Canada and you will have about 8.5m for 99 countries... the avg. already downgraded to 85k per country.

C'mon there are big sales countries in the 100 left yet lol

lyrick

Again...

Remove Canada and you will have about 8.5m for 99 countries... the avg. already downgraded to 85k per country.

if you're going to be exacting with the math, if you subtract 2M for Canada you still have 11.6 Million unaccounted for in the OP...

What are you implying? Sony is lying about the sales numbers?

Nope just that there's a lot of unaccounted for units.

What was responsible for the XB1 being ahead of the 360 was its launch. The XB1 had ~1 million launch and had plentiful stock throughout 2014. In contrast, the 360 opened much lower and suffered from supply constraints throughout 2006.

Except no because for example, France and Germany have the xo ahead and this was for 2015, both are up yoy.

Launch doesn't work here.

Chastten

Banned
I don't understand some comments here, France for example, the Xbox one is doing better than the 360. There seems to be people who believe the 360 did well in Europe. It didn't.

Well, I can say for sure that in the Netherlands, the Xbox 360 had a pretty big presence until 2-3 years ago while the One is nearly invisible right now. You'll have a pretty hard time finding anything but Destiny/Call of Duty/Fifa + whatever big game released this month in the average toy/electronics store for the One.

Raist

Banned
Nope just that there's a lot of unaccounted for units.

Several countries listed aren't up to date at all, including "big" (meaning way >100k) ones, some that will be easily above 100k aren't even there (Canada, Nordic countries), etc etc.

Ashtar

Had no idea the gap is only a million in the us, that's actually very strange considering how bad most xbone exclusive do in the us... That worldwide though.... Obviously Nintendo and Microsoft need to join forces!

Had no idea the gap is only a million in the us, that's actually very strange considering how bad most xbone exclusive do in the us... That worldwide though.... Obviously Nintendo and Microsoft need to join forces!

Huh? Both Sony and Ms exclusives sell bad in the u.s. Without bundles outside Halo mcc and Halo 5.

Exclusives don't move consoles outside Halo and bundles. Does anyone even remember knack?

Oh and Nintendo games. Those exclusives sell.

Raist

Banned
Huh? Both Sony and Ms exclusives sell bad in the u.s. Without bundles outside Halo mcc and Halo 5.

Exclusives don't move consoles outside Halo and bundles. Does anyone even remember knack?

Oh and Nintendo games. Those exclusives sell.

Even Halo doesn't sell consoles anymore.

Except no because for example, France and Germany have the xo ahead and this was for 2015, both are up yoy.

Launch doesn't work here.

A few exceptions don't make the rule. This doesn't change the fact that the XB1's worldwide baseline is lower than the 360's worldwide baseline if you read Raist's post earlier.

allan-bh

A few exceptions don't make the rule. This doesn't change the fact that the XB1's worldwide baseline is lower than the 360's worldwide baseline if you read Raist's post earlier.

What baseline you're talking about if Xbox One is doing better than 360?

Raist

Banned
I mean it's fairly simple. MS shipped 1.5M vs. 3.9M respectively for the 360 and XB1's first quarters. As of the end of the 3rd (calendar) year, the 360 was at 17.7M shipped. The XB1 is likely around 19, tops.

This coming (calendar) year will be telling, because MS shipped 10.8M in CY2008, and as it stands that might be fairly tough for the XB1 to match that.

allan-bh

XB1 is doing better than the 360 cumulatively. However, the ratio of XB1 sales to 360 sales has decreased over time.

As far as I know we don't have WW data for Xbox One in 2024 and 2015 so that statment is not a fact.

We can talk a little about shipments.We know that Xbox One at the end of 2013 was at 3.9m against 1.5m for Xbox 360 in 2005. That's a 2.4m diff. At the end of 2007 Xbox 360 was at 17.7m. Using AMD info Xbox One appears to be around 20 million, what basically means similar sales for 360 and One after launch year. But this is not a fact either.

As far as I know we don't have WW data for Xbox One in 2024 and 2015 so that statment is not a fact.

We can talk a little about shipments.We know that Xbox One at the end of 2013 was at 3.9m against 1.5m for Xbox 360 in 2005. That's a 2.4m diff. At the end of 2007 Xbox 360 was at 17.7m. Using AMD info Xbox One appears to be around 20 million, what basically means similar sales for 360 and One after launch year. But this is not a fact either.

I think Raist explains it succinctly. In addition, we have XB1 shipments up to a certain point, so we can still compare shipments between the two consoles even if the XB1's numbers aren't up to date.

allan-bh

I think Raist explains it succinctly. In addition, we have XB1 shipments up to a certain point, so we can still compare shipments between the two consoles even if the XB1's numbers aren't up to date.

You said that is a fact, but is not, Raist doesn't know WW Xbox One sales in 2014 and 2015.

And we don't have any precise Xbox One shipment after 5.1 million by march 2014.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It'll be cool if we can get data for the rest of East and Southeast Asia (Korea, Taiwan, Hongkong, Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand, Singapore).

Top Bottom