• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 & XOne owners - Give your 9 month review

X1 = C+ Geez, if it hadn't been for Titanfall, this could have been really ugly for me.
While my best experiences have been on PS4.....my biggest playtime of either console has been on X1. Its a nice console and i don't regret buying the console aside from being fooled into a Kinect edition and they couldn't even hold their ground with it a damn year.

You haven't played any other titles on it?

Anyone extremely pleased with what the Xbox One or PS4 has had to offer so far is either lying to themselves or does not own a proper gaming PC.

I am very pleased with the Xone, the PS4, the Wii U, my x51 under my TV and my SLI GTX780 nVidia Surround rig in my office.

I also don't generally lie to myself. So, you're wrong, I guess?

enewtabie

I bought both at launch.

Xbox One
Love getting the updates and features. Spending more time on it than my PS4 at the moment,but we'll see when Destiny arrives(I double dipped on that also).

Forza5 is pretty good,but I don't like the progression system.
Spent 100 hrs in Titanfall and continuing. Good game
BF4. Rank 28 on XB1 and Rank 38 on PS4 with Premium. Still enjoying it.

Overall, I really enjoy the Xbox and haven't really seen a downside.

PS4

Bought KZ shadowfall, MLB, Infamous,BF4,AC4. The system is definitely powerfull but I haven't sank as much time into it as I thought I would. Still enjoying it but I would like a better social system with it. The friends list isn't good for me either.

I own both the PS4 & XB1, and no buyers remorse. XB1 is my primary though due to grabbing it at launch, Snap, NFL app for fantasy football, the TV functions and my son is now playing the PS4 more which cuts into the time I want to play it.

PS4 review-
I have a lot of games in it, none which I'm too interested in playing at the moment as I'm waiting for destiny. But hey more shit is coming and for now it's a fantastic Crunchyroll, Netflix, amazon prime and possibly future HBO go box.

Xbone- haven't even opened it yet waiting for sunset overdrive.

Bonus round!

Wii u- played some Mario Kart for a bit and loved it but I can only play a racing game for so long before I get bored. Waiting for super smash so I can obsess with this console.

Steam- playing my backlog like a mofo.

Anyone extremely pleased with what the Xbox One or PS4 has had to offer so far is either lying to themselves or does not own a proper gaming PC.

Whilst I definitely won't talk for how other people should feel as regards this, it definitely reflects my feelings. I bought the PS4 at launch with KillZone shadowfall and played the destiny 'alpha' and 'beta'. I am not impressed. Mine has pretty much been collecting dust I have a gaming PC which works well and Steam home streaming means I can play on my TV if I want to via my laptop.

I didn't really want a PS4, but my fiance's parents got me one for xmas with madden and cod:dogs - 2 franchises i've never owned and barely ever played.

madden I enjoyed for about 1/2 a season... cod sits in it's shrink wrap...

after that I tried all the free PSN games... and then I just let the system sit until a week or two ago when TLOU came out. now i've been using it daily.

still never found a PSN/ PS+ game that I wanted to see through to then end on it.

been playing my PS3 way more, cleaning up that backlog. After TLOU i'll return to BL2 or start Folklore.

Also, the battery life on the DS4 controllers are shite, and with barely playing the thing I can notice the rubber already getting rubbed away on the thumbsticks.

Definitely should have waited on PS4

Bought xbox one at launch and had a fantastic time with it
Dead Rising 3 x Ryse x Forza x killer instinct stole the launch for me, had great fun
Then plants vs zombies which is a real surprise since I expected titanfall to crush it but plants killed it.

But the drought is real for both systems, at least September is close

PS4 has been great with infamous , killzone and indies x PS+ , (waiting on last of us when I get home)

I just want the white console lol so that's why I should have waited

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'll say what I tell everyone else when they ask if they should get a PS4 now.

"No, nothing is out until next year".

I should have waited, but I couldn't resist and was afraid of being spoiled on Ground Zeros and Second Son.

Which is funny because the trailers already spoiled Ground Zeros and I still haven't finished Second Son because the story is so uninteresting. There was a two month period where I didn't even turn on the system.

But hey, I've been playing the shit out of The Last of Us, so I have that going for me, and Destiny is coming out too, so that will hold me over for a bit.

I've played my PS4 nearly every single day since launch. I always find something to do. Thus far I really, REALLY enjoy the system.

I'll probably be picking up an X1 in a year or two.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

qGBYKBv.gif

i am extremely pleased with my PS4 and will be with my xbone later this year. i am having massive fun with my purchases. i have pc that will blow anything on the market so your logic is flawed.

ez3c

Neo Member
Coming into this new gen I had decided on a PS4 after being a 360 owner previously. I ended getting a Xbox one shortly after launch. I just couldn't give up the hope of playing a next gen Alan Wake.

I had cancelled my Xbox live membership prior to getting the Xbone as it was not doing anything for me. I seldom play MP and games w/gold had not been introduced. Purchasing a year of PS+ was the best decision i made as it gave me small games to tide me over till the big ones came around. I have had nothing but great experiences with PS Plus. I will most likely never renew xbox live as I cannot justify paying for two subscriptions

Ive loved the PS4 games released and have purchased many exclusives and multi-plats. The PS4 will be my multi platform console. My one gripe is the XMB. Ive accumulated so many free games ( PS+!!! ) and retail releases that its getting a bit tiring to navigate.

On the other hand, Ive purchased two games for xbox one. Dead rising 3 was great, not exactly next gen to me but very enjoyable. Ryse was boring as hell and was a chore to get through ( glad it was short ). Since launch the xbox has been sitting and gathering dust. Im several updates behind and fear that when i actually play a MS exclusive I have days worth of update in front of me. So far nothing MS has released interests me or isnt already available on PS4. Sunset Overdrive looks interesting and Halo doesnt appear to be the savior IMO... hard for me to get exited for a title which Ive played over multiple gens ( and quire recently as well )

maybe the xbox one can pick it up as time goes on. My Wii U set collecting dust but I play it quite a bit since picking some its awesome titles

First Post!! Glad to be here, thanks for having me!!!

eXistor

PS4 owner. I hardly touch the thing, but I knew this when I bought it (I was able to get a massive discount at launch). The games are coming, but not this year for me. Controller is hit-and-miss for me. The touch pad is useless and I don't like the share and options button's positioning. In short: It's a solid machine lacking games that interest me so far, but they're coming (Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Last Guardian (believe), Rime, The Witness, No Man's Sky etc.).

My Wii U and PC get the most play-time by far. I might get an Xbone if they announce any games that interest me, I don't care about games like Forza or Halo. The only ones that I care about right now are Sunset Overdrive and D4.

Phil4000

Oh shit the Pleased Police is here to tell you what you can and can't like!

I am just saying if your an informed gamer and your compare the content between the platforms how can you possibly be completely pleased with what the new consoles have offered so far...

- The number of console only exclusives seems to be shrinking
- Both consoles are already fairly under-powered from the start and multiplats will only get worse as time goes on (compared to the version they show you at press events and in screenshots...the PC version)
- No backwards compatibility this gen (would you like a remaster for $40-60...)
- A proper VR experience (90+ fps and a high resolution) will not be possible on the consoles going forward (a.k.a the next big thing in gaming)

The list goes on...

Jito

Banned
I am just saying if your an informed gamer and your compare the content between the platforms how can you possibly be completely pleased with what the new consoles have offered so far...

- PC has more exclusives
- Both consoles are already fairly under powered from the start and it will only get worse as time goes on
- No backwards compatibility this gen
- The list goes on
- A proper VR experience (90+ fps and a high resolution) will not be possible on the consoles going forward (a.k.a the next big thing in gaming)

The list goes on...

Do you have nothing better to do than try and rub your dick in everyones face? No one cares.

phanphare

Banned
Wii U, picked it up on the $200 refurb deal, at first we played a ton, and it finally got my wife to play games which I thought was awesome. She is actually the reason we got the Xbox one, she wanted it for the fitness, which she never uses, and after getting the Wii U she immediately said we should have gotten it over the Xbox one in the first place. I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the N64 so its been great playing Nintendo stuff again. I still think its horrible that their online "profile" stuff is so archiac. I should have an account that comes with me to new systems and keeps my library in tact, but I don't trust anything I buy digital on it I will get to use on new systems. Outside of our binge on Super Mario 3D world, I haven't played a ton of other games even though I went out and picked up a crap ton. Mostly its because I have wwaaaaaayyyyy too much stuff to play, and just not enough time. And at the end of the day my PC and PS4 are in my den, while the xbox one and wii u are in the shared living space of the family room so I just don't play either one as much.

let me get this out of the way first, Nintendo has a ways to go with their account system. I'm not trying to claim otherwise.

ok, but the bolded I just don't understand these fears. so far Nintendo has the best track record with letting you use your previous content on your new system. all of your physical and digital content from the Wii can be played or brought over to your Wii U. yeah you have to do it in Wii-mode but that's a minor inconvenience, if that. what's the point of a proper account system if your digital stuff is locked to a certain generation of hardware? do you really think your Wii U content won't be able to come with you to their next console?

Rains

Honesty for me the software was not there at Launch this year is looking good tho and where the hell is my DLNA not being able to stream my content from a NAS is silly for the so call one box.

PS4 no comment the games look good this year but i bought a ps3 and never used to not making that misstake again but drive club and the last of us remake look excelllent

bebop242

PS4

Happy with it

enjoyed and beat

Knack
Infamous SS
Watchdogs

bought and didn't care for
Killzone
Ass Creed Black Flag (might try this one again in the future)

Played a shit ton of Warframe
a decent amount of Resogun
and tried out the PS+ offerings

All in all not bad for me especially with Diablo, PvZ and Destiny coming out in the next month. Those (with Driveclub) will keep me busy the rest of the year.

Negatives!

Sony has been too slow with everything! Soony is so fitting. Waiting for meaningful system updates, games like Planetside 2 and the US version of War Thunder (which is out, it just took FOREVER), and even game announcements (they always seem to punt game announcements to a future event) is annoying.

Dual Shock 4 is too much of a battery hog.

- PC has more exclusives
- Both consoles are already fairly under powered from the start and it will only get worse as time goes on

The list goes on...

1425.gif

Tigress

PS4:

I love the system. It runs so much smoother than my PS3 and is a lot nicer to use. I love how it suspends a game for Netflix rather than quits it and how it loads much quicker. To the point that I'm happy for remakes on it cause that means less games I have to use the PS3 for (and it seems a lot of my favorite games for PS3 are being remade. Well save Skyrim and Fallout but I don't expect games that old to be remade, they're not old enough really to be classics and not new enough to want to jump on the bandwagon to make a little more money).

The controller is usually comfortable except in games that I tense up... it gives me hand cramps. For this reason I actually think overall the PS3 controller was more comfortable (Though I do prefer the triggers and the much tighter feel of the sticks. I just think where your palms grip is just too big for me as that is about where I cramp up or worse, my hand starts going numb). Yes, I have small hands :( (and I know most people thought the Dualshock 3 was too small. Apparently it was right sized for me).

Unfortunately, for me, it "having no games" seems to be true (I'd say the same of the xbox one to tell the truth). Most of my most exciting games I've played this year are still on PS3, save Wolfenstien (which I could have gotten for the PS3 if I didn't have the PS4). GTA V is the first game I'm really excited for it, a game I already had on the PS3. I chalk this up to next gen still not having much RPGs and I refuse to buy EA so no, not excited about Dragon Age (only game I'm going to be sad at having to avoid cause of EA).

But, I kinda expected that to tell the truth. I knew I was being impatient by buying it already rather than waiting for a game I really wanted to come out on it (My original plan if not for willpower was to wait for Fallout. That way I could be sure of which console was dominating the market or at least if it wasn't knowing how many games I was interested was on it. Plus it might have been cheaper at that point. It would have been the better plan, I just don't have patience).

I am enjoying it as a Netflix machine though :). And sometimes time wasting with the PS+ freebies. And I'm excited for GTA V which looks vastly improved on it (to the point I immediately notice the difference and I'm the person who goes, "I don't notice 1080 vs. 920 without really looking and I definitely don't notice 30 fps vs. 60 fps). Plus playing GTA V on my Vita ;).

And, after Gamescom, there are a few games that seem very promising (Wild, No Man's Sky, DayZ maybe, H1Z1, that Hellblade one) that if some of them pan out to be as good as I think they sound, will justify the console even without Fallout or Witcher 3 :).

PS4. Bought it to play sport games pretty much since EA makes nothing for PC anymore. Between Madden, FIFA, MLB the Show, and UFC I've beaten the crap out of the PS4. Destiny Alpha and Beta got about 40 hours of play too. Once Destiny comes out I don't think the PS4 is going to have a break.

Ramma2

- PC has more exclusives

The list goes on...

Are you just incapable of comprehending the concepts of personal preference or taste? What type of exclusive game do I like, that just because the PC has more of them might make me like it better? Hardware was something that I cared about 15 years ago but now it's about the experience and convenience of a console for me. Gigaglop epeen battles are a waste of my time and of no interest.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

- PC has more exclusives

The list goes on...

Well that's not what this thread is about, so save it for somewhere else.

PS4 = hmm I would give it a B+ Battlefield 4 got boring after 100 hours (I got tired after BF3 to be honest). Killzone Shadow Fall's SP was meh and multiplayer was only fun for 10 hours....Infamous Second Son ROCKED - totally worth PS4 purchase to me. Resogun was simply fantastic. the beta for FFXIV was great, the free to play stuff has been great, and the last of us remake was also fantastic

Coolade

Diablo 3 next week will be my first legitimate purchase on the PS4 since I bought it at launch. Destiny to follow after. I could have gone without a PS4 for this entire time. Nothing of note was released on it. Thankfully the drought is over this Holiday season. Just the same was happy to support Sony after that E3 press conference out of the gate. Been on the PS3 more than anything this past year.

TRI Mike

I got a PS4 at launch and other than Resogun and Dynasty Warriors 8 XL CE, I haven't used it very much. I purchased Infamous and Shadow Fall and though pretty, none of them appealed to me very much.

I got a Wii U a week later and I'm having a blast almost every day with it playing MK8, New Super Mario Bros., Wind Waker, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper and Mario 3D World. Extremely hyped about Smash, Bayo 2 and Hyrule Warriors.

Then I got an Xbox One a week ago and I've been using it non-stop with Forza 5, Killer Instinct and Crimson Dragon. In fact, I've used my X1 in a week more than the PS4 since launch, which is kinda sad.

Still, I know the PS4 will eventually get a lot of excellent exclusives. Right now Bloodborne and Driveclub look fantastic and it seems to be the best console for multiplats, though I wouldn't mind getting some for X1. I'm also a huge JRPG/Japanese game player and I know the PS4 will be the one getting these kind of games (HyperNep Victory 2, Omega Quintet, FFXV, KH3, etc)

zedge

- PC has more exclusives

The list goes on...

Who cares?? I have a capable PC but prefer to play on console.

Give it a rest.

TRios Zen

Xbox One:
  1. Controller: love it, still the best IMO.
  2. OS: step down from 360, which is messed up, MS is at least doing a good job of updating here though.
  3. Headset: complicated to get going, but works good when set-up
  4. Games: A few stand-outs, with Titanfall being my most played.

Playstation 4:
  1. Controller: big step up from DS3 for me, not great battery life though.
  2. OS: I like it better than XMB, and easy to use.
  3. Headset: works out of box, nice.
  4. Games: primarily buy games on Xbox because of friends, but TLOU was great. Looking forward to other exclusives.

I regret neither at this point; am looking at an expensive end of year game wise cross both these platforms.

DrKelpo

Banned
PS4 since launch.
I needed a few days to really getting used to it and there weren't that many launch titles I was interested in. But once I figured everything out and saw what huge improvements there were, for example installspeed etc, I really fell in love. Also more and more games came along which I cared for.

Sony still has some things to add and fix, but I'm really looking forward to it and the games to come this and next year.

PS4

The hardware is fine; games look great and the online is accessible enough. I just wish I had more games to play on it. It's collecting dust while my PS3 is getting all the attention. Lack of backwards compatibility is hurting it dearly.

MacBosse

Got them both on launch.

PS4 was collecting dust but once The Last of Us arrived it got love. Now ... collecting dust again until the next awesome exclusive is released.

I don't know why really I'm just more at home with the X1. I think it has a great UI (the voice controls are often very very useful), jumping between apps and a game is so effortless and without pause. Really great system, not from the start mind you. The system was slow and buggy as hell on release, got me really questoning my purchase and MS.

Ah well, its good to go with both this generation. Don't want to miss out on quality gaming.

Diablo 3 next week will be my first legitimate purchase on the PS4 since I bought it at launch. Destiny to follow after. I could have gone without a PS4 for this entire time. Nothing of note was released on it. Thankfully the drought is over this Holiday season. Just the same was happy to support Sony after that E3 press conference out of the gate. Been on the PS3 more than anything this past year.

Are you sure? Wolfenstein is excellent, so is Hohokum.. I also hope you played Ground Zeroes and Infamous SS, the latter one just for the graphics alone!

Have you tried the P.T. test yet? Quite impressive.

After playing forza 5 and ryse and titanfall I traded in my Xbox one and got a ps4 with infamous. Finished that and a few other games like thief, Killzone, and rayman. It's a better system than the Xbox overall, but I did like the voice commands for tv control and Netflix as it was very convenient. Haven't played the ps4 for a couple of months besides playing Destiny a little bit. I'm going to keep it for bloodborne though.

Couldn't put a score on either, but I would rate the ps4 higher than the Xbox one. However, Xbox has better exclusives at this point in time.

I've put over 1000 hours on BF4(PS4)...so I've gotten my money's worth alone so far. The PS+ games have been pretty underwhelming. Nothing on the horizon looks remotely interesting IMO besides Driveclub. Still waiting for Knack(or any other big game) to hit PS+. Wish there were some RPGs.

antibolo

Banned
Bought my PS4 in March to replace one of my PS3 that died, mainly so I can continue watching Blu-ray/Netflix/Crunchyroll on the TV it was plugged to. I wasn't planning on buying one as early as this, but I figured I'm better off getting a PS4 rather than getting yet another PS3 at this point in time (I still have another working PS3).

It was DOA. Took an entire damn month to get it fixed and back to me. With no compensation in any way. Not a very good first impression of the console.

PS4 is very underwhelming so far:
- Nearly no games I care about so far, mostly due to Japan not having really started making games for it yet (and with home console gaming dying in Japan, you have to wonder if they will ever start)
- Lack of offline media capabilities is retarded
- Vita remote play is trash in my opinion, locked to 30 fps and with noticeable lag, don't understand why people praise it so much, I guess they all don't own a Wii U and have shitty standards of what is considered acceptable performance
- Lack of compatibility with PS3 controllers makes the console worthless when hosting a gaming party at my house because none of my friends have PS4s yet so they can't bring extra controllers. Also the lack of PS3 stick support means I won't be in a hurry to migrate to PS4 for fighting games (I'll probably get the PS3 version of GGXrd).
- For firmware updates, Sony seems more interested in working on share-related features rather than features people genuinely want (suspend on standby is *still* not working)

Overall I don't recommend. It's just not ready yet.

Yeah, I've been thinking about trying Ryse and DR3, but I might as well wait until next year because fall is going to be packed.

You have some time right now before Destiny. I beat Ryse in about a week of play and DR3 you can beat pretty easily too, but the zombie killing is just so damn fun!

FLEABttn

Banned
I've had my PS4 since day 1. While I do like it a lot and use it near daily, it feels really more like a PS3.5 in terms of offerings, as I've played only 3 games that were next gen exclusive (Killzone and Knack being serious exercises in mediocrity that I could have easily lived my life without playing). Everything else I've played was also on PS3, so it's really just been an extension of the PS3 but with nice IQ. Even the games with firm release dates later this year that I want to play are also all available for last gen consoles, so I don't really feel like I'm necessarily playing "next gen" games yet.

I've had my Xbone since March. That's just collecting dust. I had higher hopes for Titanfall and got bored of it quickly, and none of the other exclusives really do anything for me. I haven't decided on Sunset Overdrive yet but am leaning towards no, so the only exclusive this year that I really am interested in is the Master Chief Collection, and that's a good ways off. While I technically got my Xbone for free, I feel like I should have waited for even more of a price drop.

Felspawn

PS4 is the Obama of consoles, Amazing rhetoric during launch that evaporated once the system landed. my PS4 sits essentially unused. its not even handling media duties over my PS3 as i still Plex/Hulu/Netflix/Crunchyroll on that. Honestly with games like MGS5 being announced on the PC it really has me re-evaluating if i dont just want to sell it. I probably wont as EVENTUALLY there will be something that i must play thats PS4 exclusive but at the end of the day i regret buying the system at launch.

Top Bottom