• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

Seems like I will wait with my Uncharted 4 playthrough. Wonder what MS is doing. If they have a super similar setup again then I'm calling collusion lol.

I'm not opposed to the concept of iterative hardware in theory, but that price and the lack of a tradein option are just... I'm sorry, I can't get behind that, at all. I just bought my PS4 too. :|

Like if this was $100 or whatever, okay, that's reasonable. But this is the price of an entirely new console. I cannot justify that for myself.

The games may run, but I can't help but be concerned as to what level is considered the acceptable minimum by publishers. We already have cases like Hyrule Warriors which might as well be an N3DS exclusive.

Ryan_MSF

Why is it a fuck you? Your (vastly inferior) PS4 will not stop working. And you'll continue to be able to play future PS4 games (at subHD and sub 20fps).

Seriously though, nothing's stopping you from selling your current PS4 to get some money for the upgrade.

oh boy the sony defence force is super out in full right now.

Yes of course I could trade in my PS4 and get a 1/3rd of the price for what i paid for it to line sony's pocket with even more money after they've effectively shafted me to begin with.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
At least we can celebrate that deep down lives, right guys?
also higher specs means that PC-games will benefit which is pretty nice.
PS4 will drop in price dramatically, might even pick one up for a few japanese games.

really?
why?

its great, the normal PS4 will play the same games just less graphics. the new one plays better graphics for the people that wanted better looking games. nobody is forcing you to upgrade as you can get the same game for your vanilla PS4. its a win win.

Come on. Its asking developers to build games to 2 different specs instead of one optimized version, leaving those who invested in the system early a potentially suboptimal game.

And we all know goddamn well which version will be in all the marketing.

This is the definition of a lose scenario. It's a win win is a beautiful fantasy world were all things are equal and these games won't have drastic performance differences.

ekim

Makes sense if they really want to push VR. Curious if MS also releases a new iteration in the same ballpark this year with Oculus support.
I appreciate that step. Shorter time between HW is a good thing for me.

sony needs a trade in+leasining option for this to make sense. If the PS4 hardware (maybe just "PS hardware" now) gets refreshed every 2 years or so now, let users pay $15 a month to get the latest hardware+a system and maybe additional contract signing goodies. Would make it still a decent amount more affordable than going PC and I think retailers would love it if they could lock users in like that and guarantee people coming in to swap out hardware and such.

I don't know if I'm into this. I'm not against shorter console cycles with cheaper hardware, but I think it could get confusing pretty quicly

Boyzi

Banned
Just release a PS5 November 2018 and have done with it (5 year cycle). Fuck all this 0.5 incremental bollocks. I still refuse to believe Sony would be this stupid, but then again, nothing surprises me anymore LOL

DryvBy

really?
why?

its great, the normal PS4 will play the same games just less graphics. the new one plays better graphics for the people that wanted better looking games. nobody is forcing you to upgrade as you can get the same game for your vanilla PS4. its a win win.

lol

I have no problem with this as long as my current PS4 still play new games many years to come. I will upgrade probably 3-4 years later like I do with my phone.

Nesther

Well now I regret staying 1080p when I bought my new Bravia TV a few months back. Was assuming console 4k content is years away.

Blobbers

Last thread some people were convincing the rest of us that the OG PS4 would not be given low priority, that this wouldn't be a PS3-PS4 cross-gen situation, that Uncharted 4 already looks awesome etc.
Basically that the architecture allows for easy scaling

If OP is to be believed, we will be getting beautiful 1080p 60FPS God of War trailers and gameplay videos, Deep Down insane effect showcases and then when we buy the unmarketed PSPoor version, we will get dicked. You know how you never saw PS3 versions of cross-gen games in marketing? Get ready for you OG PS4 to become the shunned console now.

"Sacrifices"

Really, Sony?

This is exactly what shouldn't have happened. Remember Ubisoft's statement about PC gamers that "they can always buy a better graphics card"? Now combine that with the fact that the mainstream gamer doesn't give a damn about framerate and resolution, which the devs know, and what do you get? Devs subtly giving less and less priority to the OG PS4 when developing. Nobody will notice anyway, except us doofs who don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Wording is everything.

considerable sacrifices made to performance.

Could just as easily be expressed with:

Considerable improvements for PS4K.

This is why this leak could damage Sony. It's not a 'downgrade' for the PS4 games, they'll be at the level they've always been, it's an 'upgrade' for PS4K owners.
This. Honestly, I don't know why this freaks people out so much.

People need to get their meltdowns and such out of the way now, and move on to the acceptance faze of things soon. Xbox will do the same thing. Maybe as soon as E3

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
CPU still not decided?.
Thats a good one.Like if the most important thing in a new apu design is a last minute change.
Or they are still debating whether to go with 4 zen cores or eight.
The GPU is Polaris 10 for sure, probably smaller than Pitcairn and 2,5 times as powerful with 2.304 shader cores rumored.

These systems are generally based off of off-the-shelf APUs so they're presumably looking at two basic options AMD set up for them at separate price points.

I just want to know:

Are current PS4 users getting the shaft?

Current PS4 users aren't going to be given poorer treatment are they? I worry that devs wont optimize games for us the same way anymore

MUnited83

For you.
So many PS4 games already have some terrible sub-par performance. If this takes off, i foresee a very shitty future for the original PS4 owners.

entremet

wow

There it is.

Fuck you. This is a complete unnecessary step and will destroy a lot of goodwill they build up this gen.

Also the new CPU is still in question? I thought the bottleneck IS the current CPU and not the GPU anyway.

Joe Walmart doesn't care. And Sony is counting on those who really care about performance to upgrade.

23qwerty

the outrage at this is bizarre to say this least. double the gpu and better cpu for the same price sounds pretty incredible to me.

Cancelling PSVR preorder. Abandoning Sony for 1st time since PS1.

Fucking DONE. Their sega 32x moment.

The meltDOWNS HA!

Stay PRESSed lol!

These meltdowns I LIVE FOR!

Promising thread ngl

giphy.gif

MK_768

Is it really that different?

It's basically the DSi/N3DS idea of having an update halfway through the generation.

Except the execution is being treated differently if this is true. Nintendo screwed over N3DS owners as far as I'm concerned. Sony is looking to make the PS4K the main focus where Nintendo made the 3DS the main focus even after the N3DS came out.

Again that's if this rumor is true.

Ya think? So there won't be incentives to target the higher spec machine to push people into adopting the newer hardware?

The higher spec version will be better, of course. But standard PS4 games aren't gonna get any worse. Most of the development effort will go into the version most people are gonna play. That's how multiplatform stuff has always worked. PS4K is just a new platform, in a sense.

Soupy

Banned
Hopefully these early-mid generation upgrades are only happening because of 4K and will not be the norm.

But personally I don't mind buying a new PlayStation every 3-4 years, but every year like an iPhone would be horrible. Also considering I always have two consoles for my "main" console (Living Room & Bedroom), this could get rough.

I basically quit PC gaming because I was sick of being OCD about the upgrades.

geordiemp

Dumb if true.

My PS5 purchase will be delayed by a lot next gen.

Why, An improvement like this is only possible because 14 nm process is coming out and gives advantages to 28 nm. So its a worthwhile upgrade.

Maybe Ps5 will be HBM with memory onboard the chip will be the next big step..... But there might not be an upgrade after that for 10 years....!

Maybe 14 nm is a low as it goes ?

It all depends on the technology and if its worth it, 3 years, 10 years...who knows.

Personally, when games hit 1080p60 with confidence, there is not much need for anything more other than VR.

Hopefully these early-mid generation upgrades are only happening because of 4K and will not be the norm.

But personally I don't mind buying a new PlayStation every 3-4 years, but every year like an iPhone would be horrible. Also considering I always have two consoles for my "main" console (Living Room & Bedroom), this could get rough.

I basically quit PC gaming because I was sick of being OCD about the upgrades.

Maybe it is because of 4 K Tv's but lets face it, there was not much you can do with a Ps4 without the 14 nm new process for the APU. I doubt we will get major performance changing tech every 3 years.

It's basically the DSi/N3DS idea of having an update halfway through the generation.

It's not bad at all but the psychology of people wanting to be pissed will be the real scary situation.

I dont think its a big deal at all and makes sense to keep your system in check with the increase in pc players and upgrades. People will have had 3 or 4 years of play time on a ps4 before they need this and they are pissed about that. Ok, if you just bought one this year I can get it but these are game consoles man... price increase is no where near homes/cars. It isn't that big of a deal especially consideration inflation which gamers never do.

Meier

Man. This doesn't sound very incremental to me. Feel a bit backstabbed if I'm honest, but I guess we'll need to get used to this concept in video games as well. They will need to offer some sort of subsidized pricing in the future IMO..

There were only a handful of games made available for those systems and the cost of entry was much, much lower to start. It sounds like they're going all in on the 4K model with "significant" improvements to some games just at the launch, let alone down the line. Not that apt of a comparison.

Daffy Duck

Sony is getting ready to fumble the ball big time here. Fucking hell. They didn't learn. For like all the good will they built up over these last 3 years they are really going to fucking do this and just shoot themselves in the foot.

Yeah I think this is a big fuck up, like MS XB1 E3 reveal fuck up levels.

Wiped89

True, but it does sound like the games on the OG PS4 are going to take quite the hit from what the OP says.

Wrong.

Your standard PS4 is the same power as it ever was.

The games that can run on the more powerful one will have to be reduced in comparison]

It's all relative. It's like, say you own a Ford Fiesta. If I bought a Ferrari, I could still drive it at 70mph like your Fiesta, or I could drive it at 140mph. Your Fiesta is the still the same speed as it always was, it just looks slower by comparison.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm ready for it. Will sell current PS4 for around $200 to a friend probably.

I hope I'll be able to use the P.T. download trick to get it to a new machine, if I can't just swap HDD though.

Venom Fox

Banned
Don't know what everyone is moaning about. The quote below:

"these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance"

To me means that the old PS4 will play games with equal performance to how they are now, e.g. 1080p 30fps, which obviously would be a downgrade from the games that take advantage of the PS4k. E.g. 1080p 60fps or 4K 30fps (Hint, it has a better GPU and CPU).

Honestly re read it and think it through properly.

Edit: Perfect anology a few posts up:

Your standard PS4 is the same power as it ever was.

The games that can run on the more powerful one will have to be reduced in comparison]

It's all relative. It's like, say you own a Ford Fiesta. If I bought a Ferrari, I could still drive it at 70mph like your Fiesta, or I could drive it at 140mph. Your Fiesta is the still the same speed as it always was, it just looks slower by comparison.

Top Bottom