• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

It seems like the underlying emotional response is that people are mad others will be getting better graphics. And that's childish and selfish. Am I missing some other reasonable explanation for the knee jerk that actually makes sense?

Preach! Pleas post this shit in the OP.

EDIT: Above meme ^^^ i lol'd so perfect!

Servbot24

Banned
Yeah, at first. At some point the 4K will take on the lead development however and the experience on the PS4 will not be what it would have been if it were still the lead. If you think that isn't going to happen then I don't know what to say.

If PS4K releases Q1 17, normal PS4 should be around 50mil sold. Are you of the opinion that PS4 sales will halt, and PS4K will sell enough units over the next couple years to make the current 50mil PS4s obscure?

onQ123

Just to follow up on this... looking at the code, these functions aren't implemented on every platform. In public code to date, on Mac and Windows, but not iOS/Android as far as I can tell. And they seem to be precisely the kind of functions you'd use to determine codepath switches depending on GPU/CPU type at runtime...

But maybe still a coincidence ;)

Like so? https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=198970824#post198970824

DYNAMIC CONTEXT SWITCHING BETWEEN ARCHITECTURALLY DISTINCT GRAPHICS PROCESSORS

0224_jordan_630x420.jpg

Raistlin

Well the current most recent example is Hyrule Warriors. It runs 30 fps on the New 3DS, but only runs about 20 fps on the 3DS. It's not an unreasonable fear to expect that at some point the PS4 version may have an inconsistent framerate due to efforts put into the PS4.5K version. Maybe not right away, but down the line can't be ruled out.
But that isn't an inherit problem with the paradigm, that's a poor implementation.

EGOMON

Another thing people here don't understand is that knowing there is a better version of a game on PS4 makes you feel inferior it's that inner feeling that's tell you what if I had the better version how much my experience would improve? This whole thing already making me uncomfortable about my base PS4... ugh

Curufinwe

That's already happening with multiplatform games on PC.

Why not? Because you'll be able to play inferior versions of you favourite games on the PS4?

Because the power differential won't be close to the difference between PS2 and PS3, and between PS3 and PS4.

And what basis are you using to assume worse framerates?

The entire paradigm of how the PC's have a viable games market is based on the idea of having low versus high settings, etc. in order to get playable framerates regardless of a given user's config. And since the developers are in control of these settings and are only targeting two fixed specs, there's no reason to assume they won't get good framerates any more than in existing games now.

But why is it a bad idea exactly?

If we assume all games play on both systems and gameplay is intact ... what is the problem? What you're saying has been repeated over and over again by many in this thread, but I have yet to see a rationale explanation as to why it's actually bad?

It seems like the underlying emotional response is that people are mad others will be getting better graphics. And that's childish and selfish. Am I missing some other reasonable explanation for the knee jerk that actually makes sense?

The answer is very simple. And it has been repeated over and over again. Many people choose consoles because they dont want to have to keep upgrading their hardware to play games on the maximum settings available for the platform. Now Sony are going to break this, and people are going to be annoyed.

After all this fuss, it would be pretty funny if Sony just revealed a new PS4 revision with a UHD blu-ray drive and 4k media support and nothing else.

Another thing people here don't understand is that knowing there is a better version of a game on PS4 makes you feel inferior it's that inner feeling that's tell you what if I had the better version how much my experience would improve? This whole thing already making me uncomfortable about my base PS4... ugh

Please don't take videogames so seriously.

orochi91

Also the word "Sacrifices" is being blown out of proportion. There are sacrifices made when making a console version of a game as compared to a PC game or when making an XB1 game as compared to a PS4 game. Don't expect PS4 games to all of a sudden become shit just expect them to run better on PS4K. I would expect a game that is really pushing the graphics envelope to run at 1080p 60fps on PS4K while the same game might run at 900p 60/30fps on PS4. Just the way I took it.

Lol

I completely missed this in the OP.

That makes the situation far more palatable for vanilla PS4 owners.

ISee

That's already happening with multiplatform games on PC.

Because the power differential won't be close to the difference between PS2 and PS3, and between PS3 and PS4.

It's a new, significantly more powerful full priced console and new games will take advantage of it. It'll also come with new features like UHD Blu Ray Support, HDMI 2.0, most probably HDR ready, 4k Netflix streaming etc. In my book it's the start of a new generation.

We don't have much a of a problem playing inferior versions of PC games currently.

But you know that's one of the reasons we're getting a new and more powerful Playstation in the first place, to shorten the gap (for a while at least).

But that isn't an inherit problem with the paradigm, that's a poor implementation.

It's both. In console development, you set a baseline target and then every platform falls in place around that. If developers shift from the PS4 being the baseline target now that a PS4.5K exists, then these problems start to come in to play. Which do you think is more reasonable? 100% of developers will insure that moving forward the PS4 version is optimized to the best of their ability and will be the target baseline or less than 100% of developers will do that now that there's at least one new target, and possibly three new targets if you factor in another Xbox and who knows what the NX will be. There's also the false assumption that there will only be two targets this generation let alone if generations still exist. These things can't be assumed at this point and each of those things introduces a new paradigm in how game development will pan out. I don't know why everyone supporting this is fixating on there being only two targets when two weeks ago there was no concept of such a thing and we only had one target. What assurances do we have moving forward that this is the business model?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
But maybe still a coincidence ;)
Ignoring high-level middleware monoliths for a second, most device APIs come with standard type of queries like this - we could query CPU information (ID, Mhz etc.) at least as far back as PS2.

PS4 has some pretty nice-looking games for which PC was the lead platform, and PC is way more powerful than PS4K will be.

I never said they wouldn't be nice looking. I did say that there will be some effect on them. Like I said in another post, NOT a doomsday scenario. Not "literally nothing" either.

I never said they wouldn't be nice looking. I did say that there will be some effect on them. Like I said in another post, NOT a doomsday scenario. Not "literally nothing" either.

Exactly. People thinking nothing can go wrong will change with the PS4 with this new change in the business model are being a bit naive.

Daft Punk

Banned
As far as I'm concerned, May 10 will mark the day that the first good ps4 exclusive game is released. The only other good games are remasters/ports. TLOU remaster, Brothers a tale of two sons, Soma, LIS, GTA V and that's pretty much it. The rest of the games are rather average. I have like at least 50 games in my ps4 library and most of them are trash. I spent an hour with them and then deleted them from my hard drive. There are a few decent games like Wolfenstein, etc but honestly this gen hasn't really gotten started. Sony's studios have been really slow to get going and now that they are just about to start churning out the good stuff, there are rumors of new hardware? That's just trash.

We have been conditioned to expect a minimum of 5 years for a console generation from sony before the release of new hardware and now they want to change it to 3? Nope. The ps4 was $400 on launch day and this november will make 3 years. If you've been a ps plus member since the beginning, you've invested an additional $150 into the console. So essentially, you've paid $550 for the console. All we've gotten so far is rubbish ps plus games that no one ever wanted to play, rubbish online service that we have to pay for, subpar hardware on release, rubbish launch controllers that I've had to replace several times and basically 1 good exclusive. That is a waste of $550 as far as I'm concerned. I certainly won't make the mistake of buying a sony console early in the generation ever again. I'll wait till the end of the gen when all the good games have come out. Then it'll be easier to find the consoles and games at a cheap price.

As far as I'm concerned the uproar is not about others having better graphics but about managing expectations. When people are conditioned to expect something, any changes should be communicated clearly. Nvidia, Intel and AMD manage expectations by releasing road maps and communicating that information to their consumers. Sony and Microsoft are trying to pull a bait and switch and as expected, people are pissed off.

So because of your own personal opinion of PS4 and PS+, this somehow validates this ridiculous post especially especially when we are coming into 3 years these systems have been out? Ok.

That would not be mind boggling. We have a past precedent with their idiocy.

Some of you in here are oblivious to how new hardware and software actually works. I'm not calling for a doomsday scenario. However, if you think there will "literally be no impact" on the PS4 because of the existence of the PS4K you're insane.

I'll copy paste my own edit of that post:

"Sony make their money from platform holder royalty fees from the software sales on their consoles, not from selling the consoles, they seem to think having a faster iteration will reach more people but in the end it couldn't matter less to them whether you buy a ps4 or a ps4k, as long as you keep buying games so they can keep collecting royalties. If they thought people would have kept buying ps3 games and ps3s indefinitely they would never release a ps4 to begin with."

I understand malice from these companies in the name of their bottom line (online paywalls) , I understand them neglecting customers as soon as they stop being a significant source of revenue (I have a ps vita, the second it didn't succeed they abandoned it because there wasn't much money in it for them). I roll my eyes at the for the players slogan.

But neglecting a 40 million + install base , who are their main source of revenue , by releasing ps4 versions of their games as an afterthought? That would be acting against their own bottom line and I don't see why on earth they would do that.

That's why I said it would be mind boggling to me.

I mean it's possible, it would just defy all logic

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Raistlin said:
While that may be the case - multi-hw target paradigm directly increases the cost of sw-development, by non-trivial amount. And last third of most development cycles is a race against the clock in how many corners to cut. This includes optimization targets, in a big way.

Melchiah

It does setup a weird precedent. If they do this of the PS4, would people potentially hold back on a Day 1 PS5 if they possibility of a PS5.5 is out there 2 or 3 years down the line?

Anyone who wants to keep playing the console exclusives immediately will buy at launch. Those who are willing to wait three years will buy later. Just like before. Personally, I would have bought the PS4 at launch even if this was known back then, instead of taking a long break from gaming due to PS3 releases drying up.

And what basis are you using to assume worse framerates?

The entire paradigm of how the PC's have a viable games market is based on the idea of having low versus high settings, etc. in order to get playable framerates regardless of a given user's config. And since the developers are in control of these settings and are only targeting two fixed specs, there's no reason to assume they won't get good framerates any more than in existing games now.

But why is it a bad idea exactly?

If we assume all games play on both systems and gameplay is intact ... what is the problem? What you're saying has been repeated over and over again by many in this thread, but I have yet to see a rationale explanation as to why it's actually bad?

2 ways that I hate this.

1. The lesser version could run less so where the game simply isn't as good. Ps3 ports of ps4 games are mostly garbage unless that game was considerably scaled down in advance with ps3 in mind. For example shadows of mordor. Its insane to believe devs won't want to max this thing, which in turn could strongly hurt the ps4 version- tearing, poor IQ, choppy framerate, etc.

2. Vr experiences. Graphics don't matter to a lot of people, but there's no doubt visuals play a massive role in the vr experience. If the rumors are true about for instance gtsport... Then psvr on the ps4 simply won't be able to run gtsport to a satisfactory level. The visuals will be significantly gimped.

Ps4k that can run battlefield 5 at 1080/60 and I am there day zero. I mean I'll buy to anyways and trade in my ps4 but hopefully DICE takes advantage of the hardware.

While that may be the case - multi-hw target paradigm directly increases the cost of sw-development, by non-trivial amount. And last third of most development cycles is a race against the clock in how many corners to cut. This includes optimization targets, in a big way.

Man, I keep saying this, but I keep getting replies with all you do is configure some ini files and you're done. It's frustrating that people think this is trivial and practically free in terms of cost, resources and time on the developer.

This thing hasn't even been announced yet. Jumping the gun a bit there aren't we?

Honestly, everyone on both sides is jumping the gun and making a lot of assumptions from questions that we really don't have the answers to yet. The problem with this rumor is it introduces a ton of questions and uncertainty on how things are going to be moving forward.

Raistlin

The answer is very simple. And it has been repeated over and over again. Many people choose consoles because they dont want to have to keep upgrading their hardware to play games on the maximum settings available for the platform. Now Sony are going to break this, and people are going to be annoyed.
People may be saying that, but since when has that actually been a significant reason? Seems more like revisionist history since this hasn't been a mainstream option in the past.

The reality is consoles have historically been popular mainly for:

1) Ease of use. Basically just put in / download a game and it works. Don't have to mess with the OS per se.

2) Compatibility. Games intended for the console just work.

3) Exclusives.

4) Input method. At least in the past, game pads weren't well support on PCs.

5) Couch usage. Until the above changed, most didn't like hooking up a PC to a TV since a keyboard / mouse wasn't well suited to non-desk usage.

6) Assuming the console is relatively successful, there's an assumption of compatible games for a decent lifespan.

Based on the info thus far, there's nothing that breaks the above expectations. Only now with the lens of the PS4K's existence are people revising the above to include 'maximum graphics fidelity'. I don't see how improving graphics that doesn't break any of the above is a bad thing. It's an option, and the only reason one would be upset is if they are jealous others will have better graphics than them.

So because of your own personal opinion of PS4 and PS+, this somehow validates this ridiculous post especially especially when we are coming into 3 years these systems have been out? Ok.
Please explain how my post is ridiculous. Apart from my opinion on the ps4 library, I don't see how anything I've said is contentious.

- The ps4 released with under powered hardware and I consider this not to be debatable. There were many forum posts complaining about it during the final specs annoucement and we've seen the result in the games. Games that struggle to hold a 30 fps frame-rate this early into the gen.

-There have been several articles of recent questioning the value of ps plus on the ps4. Microsoft's GWG has be subjectively better and they allow you to keep the games after your subscription elapses.

-If we compare Microsoft's online infrastructure and Sony's, we can see that one suffers outages with less frequency than the other. Again, one is factually better.

-If we look just at this forum alone, the issue surrounding the ps4's launch controllers are well documented. Poor battery life, Analog sticks wearing out, Triggers getting stuck and etc are some of the many issues that plagued the launch of the ds4.

Again, the only opinionated issue I put forward in my previous argument is the quality of the games. If you think that the games are excellent, that's fine but there is evidence to support other parts of my argument.

Bootsy

I'm glad devs will have more incentive to target (or take advantage of) higher end PC hardware. 360/PS3 gen dragged on way too long; holding back PC gaming with it. I think this will be great for motivating devs/publishers to continuously improve their tech at a faster pace.

I understand malice from these companies in the name of their bottom line (online paywalls) , I understand them neglecting customers as soon as they stop being a significant source of revenue (I have a ps vita, the second it didn't succeed they abandoned it because there wasn't much money in it for them). I roll my eyes at the for the players slogan.

But neglecting a 40 million + install base , who are their main source of revenue , by releasing ps4 versions of their games as an afterthought? That would be acting against their own bottom line and I don't see why on earth they would do that.

That's why I said it would be mind boggling to me.

I don't entirely disagree. If you look at the PS3, however, there is precedent for them to take their user base for granted and make terrible decisions.

Like I said in another post...the PS4 is not going to die off. It's not some doomsday scenario where we're all screwed. But, to think that there won't be any effect on PS4 games because of the PS4K is, in my opinion, incredibly naive.

Me, personally, I plan on playing my PS4 until it either A) dies or B) I can no longer get exclusives on it. I won't ever upgrade to a 4K. I won't buy a 5 because I'll wait for the 5.5, then I'll jump in again after my stock 4 is no longer useful. The only difference is that I now will buy all multi-platform games on PC and use my PS4 only for games I can't get anywhere else. I probably should have been doing that already, to be honest. I bought a little too much into the Sony ecosystem and it's time to pull back the reigns and hedge my bets more.

This has Sega 32X written all over it.

I say leave these "upgrades" to PC. Really not a fan of these companies releasing slightly updated/more powerful systems. I felt the same way about the New 3DS.

Top Bottom