• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane1345

It was mentioned earlier that another big push around E3 would be a good idea. Even having themed tweets per day. What you guys think?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's kinda the point, if Sony kills DRM on the PS4 then Microsoft will have to kill it on the Xbone. Everybody wins.
This is my hope too, although I don't see MS killing it outright. They can easily lighten restrictions though.

It was mentioned earlier that another big push around E3 would be a good idea. Even having themed tweets per day. What you guys think?

Definitely. The campaign will lose some steam before E3 but it's important to pack it up again soon before so they don't think we just forgot about it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
That's kinda the point, if Sony kills DRM on the PS4 then Microsoft will have to kill it on the Xbone. Everybody wins.

You mean like how Sony being region free means Microsoft have to as well?

Or like how Sony not charging for online mean Microsoft have to as well?

I think you're being seriously short sighted if you think Sony's position will have any effect on Microsoft unless Xbone is left dead in the water because of it.

Hex

Banned
Publishers can't boycott the PS4. No sales is worse than most sales. The consoles are too similar to not do multiplatform.

Sure they can.
Microsoft will happily give them incentive for it.

What in the history of anything has ever given you reason to think that this is how it works?

Anyone remember the in-shirt XMB when everyone was shouting for in-game xmb on PS3? Sony trolled then as well but delivered after, hopefully this is like that.

Stuart444

I ♥ Japanese Games
@Japan_Game_Love
Xbox and used games? We're mad because that we want everything as cheap as we can possibly get it, and don't care if developers get paid...

(woops, double post, sorry)

You mean like how Sony being region free means Microsoft have to as well?

Or like how Sony not charging for online mean Microsoft have to as well?

I think you're being seriously short sighted if you think Sony's position will have any effect on Microsoft unless Xbone is left dead in the water because of it.

Region free and charging for XBL or totally different from this. Every consumer will feel the sting of not being able to sell their games, especially if/when their friends are able to do it on the PS4. If Sony doesn't have DRM and Microsoft does, PS4 will absolutely dominate. Microsoft isn't going to let that happen.

fatty

Ahh, OK thanks. Just saw Shahid's post in the DRM Vita thread.

But Yoshida, come on bud. We're hoping (and expecting) a good announcement to come at E3...

can someone add the #PS4noDRM banner to my avatar? Thanks!
hybridavatarb2i0x.png

Would love this as well for my avatar.
chibidrm4tdm8.png

-Cwalat-

It's is and he also just posted in a Gaf thread. DAYUM is correct.
A Master Troller is among us.
Now off to work. Good luck guys :).

Reason I said I have mad respect for him is that he just confirmed that PS4 doesn't have DRM. It's the closest we'll get to a confirmation before E3. I mean, you'd be a total dick to tweet like he just did and have DRM on PS4. He doesn't seem to be that kind of guy, so it must mean that he knows DRM isn't coming to PS4.

All that from a GAF thread? DAYUM!

Salaadin

Obviously, the worst thing that can happen is Sony/MS come out at E3 and tell us that they still have DRM. Ideally, one or both companies will drop it from their system.

My other worry is that it will still be a "publisher decision" and that some pubs are still going to implement some stupid crap that we have to deal with. This also gives Sony/MS and out...they can say "we didnt do it! EA did!"
I really hope the pubs are catching wind of this campaign too. I know the focus was mainly Sony and #PS4NoDRM but I hope the overall message about "DRM = bad" hits everyone...Sony, MS, Nintendo, and all pubs. Thats why Im so happy about the media pickup of this story. Its hard for anyone to ignore it now.

Novak

Publishers can't boycott the PS4. No sales is worse than most sales. The consoles are too similar to not do multiplatform.

If publishers are really behind all this then there could be 3-way deal (publisher-MS-Sony). I doubt one of them signed without guarantee the other will do the same.

Also Both PS4 and XB1 now how zero install base so they could be easily ignored at the start of generation if one breaks the deal.

Question is who publisher think is stronger: Sony or MS.
Or since publishers are for DRM then: Sony (if they ditchDRM) vs. MS+Publishers

* by publishers I mean big players like EA, Activision, Ubisoft

MogCakes

If publishers are really behind all this then there could be 3-way deal (publisher-MS-Sony). I doubt one of them signed without guarantee the other will do the same.

Also Both PS4 and XB1 now how zero install base so they could be easily ignored at the start of generation if one breaks the deal.

Question is who publisher think is stronger: Sony or MS.
Or since publishers are for DRM then Sony vs. MS+Publishers

* by publishers I mean big players like EA, Activision, Ubisoft

That would be illegal, so no.

I think the elephant in the room is something we still don't know.

Will the MS plan, at the end of the year, increase money to the publisher or decrease money to the publisher or nothing different?

Because the answer to that question will drive adoption regardless of what consumers complain about. If enough people buy/sell and re-buy re-sell old games... It will generate money and then our complaints will fall on deaf ears.

Novak

That would be illegal, so no.

Which part? Deal or ignoring one platform?

This generation MS and Sony already have deals with publishers that games on their platform must have equal or better content than competition. Same could be extended to this gen (ie. MS mandating that game must have equal DRM on competing platforms) or game must be exclusive

I am sure there are backroom deals...legal or illegal..thats corporate business

Rich!

Wrote an article last night for use in a job application, thought you guys might want to have a look. It is a general overview of the next generation, and makes note of the DRM campaign.

It's at http://richorchard.wordpress.com

Feedback would be appreciated. Going to try getting it published, as it is written for a wider demographic.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
You know I wasn't planning on buying a PS4 day 1 at launch due to the fear of hardware issues. I'll get a PS4 day one now if Sony comes out and confirms that there will not be system level DRM on the PS4 outside of digitally published games.

I'll go day one solely due to the fact they have been such good sports about this movement. They could have just stayed silent on the issue but they have acknowledged us multiple times and now even trolled us big time. I respect that. You have my respect for now Sony.

I think the elephant in the room is something we still don't know.

Will the MS plan, at the end of the year, increase money to the publisher or decrease money to the publisher or nothing different?

Because the answer to that question will drive adoption regardless of what consumers complain about. If enough people buy/sell and re-buy re-sell old games... It will generate money and then our complaints will fall on deaf ears.

with neither console released, there is no way to tell this. Which is probably what the people advocating on our behalf are saying. There is no proof that removing the used game market on consoles will increase/decrease revenue or even the amount of people playing.

You know I wasn't planning on buying a PS4 day 1 at launch due to the fear of hardware issues. I'll get a PS4 day one now if Sony comes out and confirms that there will not be system level DRM on the PS4 outside of digitally published games. I'll go day one solely due to the fact they have been such good sports about this movement. They could have just stayed silent on the issue but they have acknowledged us multiple times and now even trolled us big time. I respect that. You have my respect for now Sony.

until the xbox one reveal i was perfect content waiting it out a few years.

Now its day one, long as Sony listens.

MogCakes

This generation MS and Sony already have deals with publishers that games on their platform must have equal or better content than competition. Same could be extended to this gen (ie. MS mandating that game must have equal DRM on competing platforms) or game must be exclusive

The deal of course. In fact collusion between such large companies could trigger an FBI investigation. From what we've heard though this is not the case. That's a conspiracy theory at best.

Deitus

The deal would be illegal. Making deals with your direct competitor to both implement the same policy is anti-competitive, and considered collusion.

Now as for backroom deals, sure they will happen. But you can't sign a legally binding agreement to secure an illegal deal can you? Assuming Sony and Microsoft are engaged in such dealings, Sony could pull out at any time and Microsoft would have no legal recourse other than to out them both as conspirators (and they certainly wouldn't want that).

Novak

The deal of course. In fact collusion between such large companies could trigger an FBI investigation. From what we've heard though this is not the case. That's a conspiracy theory at best.

ok. I am not from USA so I don't know about the law there.
What if publishers made separate deals with both parties in which platform holder guarantees them some sort of DRM? would that be legal?

Edit: can someone explain me difference between noDRM and noUsedGames? Arent they the same? DRM is there to prevent used games, right?

MogCakes

What if publishers made separate deals with both parties in which platform holder guarantees them some sort of DRM? would that be legal?
I'm not sure. But from the info we have from famousmortimer there are no such deals in place for Sony, considering they're rumored to be sitting on the decision to use their DRM.

Deitus

That would be. And it's certainly possible that Sony has signed such deals. I can almost guarantee Microsoft has, which is why I don't think they will back away from their policies unless they effectively have no choice.

There's no way to tell what deals Sony might have signed, but lets hope they haven't done anything that can't be reversed.

Edit: can someone explain me difference between noDRM and noUsedGames? Arent they the same? DRM is there to prevent used games, right?

They are interrelated, but not the same thing. The DRM is ultimately there to prevent used games and piracy, but has a side-effect of controlling the way you can use your purchased games. If Sony were to allow used games without an extra fee, but still have restrictive DRM preventing you from lending or borrowing games, that would be considered a loss for this movement.

spwolf

Region free and charging for XBL or totally different from this. Every consumer will feel the sting of not being able to sell their games, especially if/when their friends are able to do it on the PS4. If Sony doesn't have DRM and Microsoft does, PS4 will absolutely dominate. Microsoft isn't going to let that happen.

while not every customer pays for online?

Contrary to that, paying for online should have been a lot more damaging than this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom