• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebula

My tweet.

"To @Playstation, an open letter: ps4nodrm.com @philrosenberg @amboyes @yosp @nikoro
I discovered many great game franchises on the Playstation by borrowing from my friend. I learnt about Crash Bandicoot and have since bought all of Naughty Dogs games and have The Last of Us pre-ordered.
#PS4NoDRM #PS4UsedGames http://www.ps4nodrm.com/"

and

"Dear Publishers: ps4nodrm.com @erichirshberg @petermooreEA @EA @Kristian66 @Ubisoft
As a child I did most of my gaming by renting games at the video store, it's how I discovered my hobby, please let kids of the future do the same.

You're 200 characters over the limit there.

IvorB

It's easy. Hit the tweet links at the top.

http://www.ps4nodrm.com/

Check out the OP for some accounts or go to http://www.ps4nodrm.com for some easy hotlinks to quickly tweet. Since you have a fresh account, just space them out a bit, since you may get a temporary suspension since they think you're a bot.

Okay managed to do the PlayStation crew with the first hotlink on the webpage but the second and third produced an error when I tried. I'll try again later...

falconzss

Well, at least we know Sony has been listening.

Still, we can do better.

AGkAvOV.png

My tweet.

"To @Playstation, an open letter: ps4nodrm.com @philrosenberg @amboyes @yosp @nikoro
I discovered many great game franchises on the Playstation by borrowing from my friend. I learnt about Crash Bandicoot and have since bought all of Naughty Dogs games and have The Last of Us pre-ordered.

and

"Dear Publishers: ps4nodrm.com @erichirshberg @petermooreEA @EA @Kristian66 @Ubisoft
As a child I did most of my gaming by renting games at the video store, it's how I discovered my hobby, please let kids of the future do the same.

too long mang

Soi-Fong

If anything, if they reiterate the policies they have stated beforewe, they should troll the Doritos Pope. Because really, this whole ball got rolling with him.

Hell, after all this, if this was the policy all along, Shuhei Yoshida should come out on stage at E3 dressed at a "white knight" and riding a horse, just to pay back Geoff.

That would be ultimate trolling right there and I would pay to see that. Geoff just getting owned in front of a whole audience. Wouldn't bode well for his rep.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I know you guys are fighting the good fight and thats great but most of you should know it's pointless, DRM and most likely no used games are coming......without it I hope everyone is looking forward to apple dominating the industry with iOS type games for 1-5$ a piece.

Even if Sony says "PS4 has no DRM" that's still essentially leaving it up to the developers unless Sony explicitly prohibits online DRM in their terms for licensing and developing software for the platform. Hell, a developer could probably have implemented online DRM on a PS2 title if they had wanted to do so and wanted to setup the server infrastructure themselves.

So there's no reason for Sony to come out at E3 and say "We're leaving it up to the publishers." That buys them nothing PR-wise, because a developer could still do it even if they say "we don't have it" and just build it into their game code. They should just come out and say "No DRM" on PS4, and then leave it to devs and publishers to be the easily boycottable bad guys that have to announce that they're going to use DRM in their titles or even on a game-by-game basis.

At this point I don't see how either one of them can fathom NOT addressing these issues in their actual press conferences. Therefore, MS will be going first. Heaven help them if they don't back down and then later in the day Sony announces no DRM.
Ea will have drm on both. No doubt at all. Hence no online pass anymore and probably why they dropped wiiu if it doesn't support it.

Soi-Fong

I know you guys are fighting the good fight and thats great but most of you should know it's pointless, DRM and most likely no used games are coming......without it I hope everyone is looking forward to apple dominating the industry with iOS type games for 1-5$ a piece.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the DRM Vita thread. Don't try to bunch Sony and MS together just yet. Both seem to be going in different directions with Sony going the route of hardcore gamers.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Your thoughts aren't an uncommon one. Yours isn't the first post to say it, and it certainly won't be the last.

dosh

Really? If I were Sony I would say the fans are what convinced me. It would be a coup for a company that's projecting their 'gamers own' PR on every available channel.

Don't get me wrong, that would be fantastic. But I think something along the lines of "Our fans convinced us we were doing the right thing" is more likely, and more in tune with the response we've already had from Shahid, Koller or Boyes.

Note that I would happily eat crow on this one, and you will hear me scream in an awesome explosion of victorious joy from wherever you live on our planet if that happens :)

I mean, the campaign is OBVIOUSLY working and I really believe it's helping nudging them the right way. Are we playing a role in this? We sure do.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Don't get me wrong, that would be fantastic. But I think something along the lines of "Our fans convinced us we were doing the right thing" is more likely, and more in tune with the response we've already had from Shahid, Koller or Boyes.

Note that I would happily eat crow on this one, and you will hear me scream in an awesome explosion of victorious joy from wherever you live on our planet if that happens :)

I mean, the campaign is OBVIOUSLY working and I really believe it's helping nudging them the right way. Are we playing a role in this? We sure do.

I don't really care what spin they put on it, as long as the end result is what we all want.

IvorB

After seeing Yoshida's trollish comments on DRM on Vita I think I can rest easier now. I really don't think it's likely they would start making comments like that if they had bad news coming on this issue.

dosh

I don't really care what spin they put on it, as long as the end result is what we all want.

Ho, absolutely, I couldn't agree more. That's the point I failed to make I guess. In the end, I don't really care about acknowledgement at all. I just want my ps4 games to work just like my ps3 games.

I'd like to get Microsoft to turn around, but I think a lot of folks here are firmly in the Sony camp... which is perfectly fine. I think it's up to those with a vested interest to pick up the torch.

I think most people jumped on this because it was suggested that Sony was undecided, so we had a shot. I assumed MS was pretty set in stone, at least before the "thanks for the feedback" tweet.

Exclusive DLC for Microsoft is the worst that I can see happening. Maybe a few times exclusives. No way is EA or Activision going to turn away the potential sales involved in a multi-console release.

Didn't EA just come out and say no Wii U games? Interesting that Wii U has no used game policy and EA isn't making games for them. And X1 is having some kind of used game crap and EA is all cozy making exclusive game for them.

Carl

It doesn't matter that it's slowing down, really. It was never going to carry on at that sort of pace. But it got Sony and MS (and third party) attention, and that's all it needed to do. It can carry on at a slow pace now :)

Didn't EA just come out and say no Wii U games? Interesting that Wii U has no used game policy and EA isn't making games for them. And X1 is having some kind of used game crap and EA is all cozy making exclusive game for them.

It would be super crazy for EA to say No Wii U and No PS4. That would probably send their shareholders into an uproar after their total sales volume dropped.

TeaFan

As much as i support this cause and hope it wins out i cant help but feel like its an all or nothing policy. If Xbone will have DRM and no used games, i cant see how publishers will allow it on one platform and not the other? Surely it plays into the hands of Microsoft as publishers will get much better margins from selling games on that system

As much as i support this cause and hope it wins out i cant help but feel like its an all or nothing policy. If Xbone will have DRM and no used games, i cant see how publishers will allow it on one platform and not the other? Surely it plays into the hands of Microsoft as publishers will get much better margins from selling games on that system
What exactly do publishers do to not allow it?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Okay all of these exec tweets have to mean something. I mean, they can't all be idiots tweeting this stuff to only break bad news later, right?
Shahid tweeting about it doesn't mean all that much, he's very laid back and open, but Yosp mentioning it is a good sign.

Minions

Whens the last time you had another company run your company? Does not sound like a very sound game plan. What is the publishers plan? Get half the sales of this gen by limiting their scope? However keeping the $200+million dollar price tag of production?

That's kinda the point, if Sony kills DRM on the PS4 then Microsoft will have to kill it on the Xbone. Everybody wins.

Soi-Fong

I love how people seem to think that Publishers are holding the gun and it is the console manufacturers that are held hostage. Publishers won't let go of one console and lose all those sales. They just won't. Greed works both ways and publishers will want all pieces of the pie, even if a part of that pie isn't as tasty as another part.

You say allow but what could publishers do about it? They know that used games don't really cost them sales and not publishing on 50% of the US market and most of the rest would be very rough on them.

edit: beaten by 5 people, don't mean to gang up on you, sorry.

TheLight

Negative nancies will not be tolerated and will be punished for treason. We have a war to fight, men!

I'm having too much fun with this...

TeaFan

What exactly do publishers do to not allow it?

i phrased that wrong, sorry what i meant was that if a publisher was guaranteed more money and sales from xbox than ps4 due to the used games issue surely it plays into microsofts hands and i cant see Sony putting themselves in a weaker position.

I hope im wrong though

mjontrix

That's kinda the point, if Sony kills DRM on the PS4 then Microsoft will have to kill it on the Xbone. Everybody wins.

Pretty much this.

Of course, by the NEXT generation there won't be any physical media distribution par limited edition runs. It'll mostly be digital.

Bittercup

After seeing Yoshida's trollish comments on DRM on Vita I think I can rest easier now. I really don't think it's likely they would start making comments like that if they had bad news coming on this issue.
I'm still cautiously optimistic but I agree, it would be very rude if they had plans for DRM and then mock their fans with DRM-jokes so this might be a good sign.
But I'll wait until they make an official statement before I get my hopes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom