• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sephi22

Guys like Famousmortimer save console gaming.
Guys like me eat pringles and fap to ecchi doujins.

God I should do something with my life.

MogCakes

and it's a collective effort, not a "neogaf" thing

the twitter thing, yes it's neogaf

ms pulling out? it's everyone

I agree with that. But the #NoDRM movement did expand to include MS, thanks to m0dus and others. GAF alone doesn't hold much power, but it started the snowball at the top of the mountain.

Kouichi

This is so amazing. The gamers have won!

I'm still shocked that we were able to make Microsoft do a complete u-turn with their policies. This is something we should always look back on when publishers try to shove this anti-consumer bullshit down our throats. We can make a difference if we try.

Congratulations famousmortimer and GAF! We are victorious!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
lol, I tried to spread the word about this thread on reddit but it didn't go well at all.

Oh well, congrats everyone

Eric C

Thank god this campaign worked.

I honestly thought Microsoft was going to stick with the DRM crap at least through launch, possibly the entire 1st year.

So glad they changed their DRM policies.

Replicant

What a relief. I hope this is permanent and the industry will never take this course ever again. I hate how some journalists suggesting that we're just delaying the inevitable.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_m4zc1fMLux1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I hate to say it but I guarantee MS didn't change policies because of this.

#PS4NoDRM is confirmed explicitly by Sony to have influenced Sony's decisions on the DRM front and helped codify the message within the company, and also led to hundreds of news stories which increased awareness with consumers (leading to massively one-sided public perception like with the Amazon poll). That reassurance from consumers led to the confident Sony E3 press conference and Jack Tretton's crowd-pleaser, which fueled even more DRM awareness and pressure on Microsoft.

You're not framing it accurately.

Mlatador

Banned
Guys, I thank you sooo much!! You all are awesome! :D

This is one step closer to the death of the AAA multi-million dollar games!! HURRAY!!

I mean, no-used-game-policies were somewhat a threat in that regard. It's not like I ever believed no-used game-policies would ever work (the sanity in the gaming world is just too strong), but I was a little concerned.

So hopefully AAA games will die soon and bring us back variety!!

Cheers!!

Verendus

Banned
I hate to say it but I guarantee MS didn't change policies because of this.
GAF deserves credit.

In this instance, the noise GAF made helped media and press pick up on the situation. They, in turn, escalated the issue even further. Sony deliberately used the media and consumer noise on DRM at the E3 conference to make it seem like a huge deal, and it ended up growing further and ended all over the mainstream. Even if Sony didn't intend on implementing any DRM like MS, they weren't aware that it would cause this huge of a fuss, and they took advantage of that. I guarantee you that. I've seen the E3 script before it was finalised. I know their notes.

The credit for this change and mass attention comes back to this campaign. This is where it began. So, no, whilst MS didn't solely change policies thanks to this, this effort was incredible and lovely to see. It started that domino effect that escalated this to an issue which could not be ignored. Everyone played their part, but GAF was there at the beginning to start that ripple effect.

The positive light on Sony has led to demand being very favourable for the PS4. The recent pre-order data, combined with the rest, likely made Microsoft think they need to back out now or it's going to be game over before the console even gets a serious chance.

Corto

So stoked to have witnessed this. Thousands showed their disapproval, made noise, the ripple effect did the rest. So beautiful to see this unfold like this.

MogCakes

Guys, I thank you sooo much!! You all are awesome! :D

This is on step closer to the death of the AAA multi-million dollar games!! HURRAY!!

I mean, No used games was a serious threat in that regard. It's not like I ever believed NoUsed games would actually work (the sanity in the gaming world is just too strong), but I was concerned a little.

So hopefully AAA games will die soon and bring us back the variety!!

Cheers!!

You're trying way too hard. If you want to thread shit, at least do it clearly. Of course, you can continue your stint in trolling if you like, but doing it in this thread probably isn't the wisest choice.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
#PS4NoDRM is confirmed explicitly by Sony to have influenced Sony's decisions on the DRM front and helped codify the message within the company, and also led to hundreds of news stories which increased awareness with consumers (leading to massively one-sided public perception like with the Amazon poll). That reassurance from consumers led to the confident Sony E3 press conference and Jack Tretton's crowd-pleaser, which fueled even more DRM awareness and pressure on Microsoft.

You're not framing it accurately.

Yup. The campaign influenced Sony. Sony influenced Microsoft. Without it, we could have had a very different outcome. These things have to start somewhere!

It must feel great on days like today to have worked to make NeoGAF what it is.

Good job everyone

Woffls

I could have done so much more, but I still feel so very proud of being involved in some way from the start, just making a few tweets here and there, telling my friends, droppin' some rhymes...

One day we'll look back at this thread and wonder how messed up things could have gotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom