• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job everyone!

In the year of our Lord 2013, you patriots of Gaf and gaming, led by famousmortimer, charged the fields of Twitter. You fought like warrior poets. You fought like consumers. And you won our freedom.

JaseMath

This is such a huge moment in gaming history, guys. Like a watershed moment in the industry. I'm glad to have been a part of it.

JABEE

#PS4NoDRM is confirmed explicitly by Sony to have influenced Sony's decisions on the DRM front and helped codify the message within the company, and also led to hundreds of news stories which increased awareness with consumers (leading to massively one-sided public perception like with the Amazon poll). That reassurance from consumers led to the confident Sony E3 press conference and Jack Tretton's crowd-pleaser, which fueled even more DRM awareness and pressure on Microsoft.

You're not framing it accurately.
Exactly. That's why Sony was targeted for this campaign. If one folded, the others would hopefully fall in line.

Great job everyone!

In the year of our Lord 2013, you patriots of Gaf and gaming, led by famousmortimer, charged the fields of Twitter. You fought like warrior poets. You fought like consumers. And you won our freedom.

OMG. Had to steal.
zX76SO0.gif

_Ryo_

I wonder if this backpedaling gives devs/publishers less incentives to do Xbox One exclusives due to the lack of DRM and non-restrictive used game market...

zeopower6

Has this been posted? Online play for PS4 won't work outside supported regions?

http://www.gamesreviews.com/news/06/ps4-online-blocked-for-countries-without-a-store/

Don't know if I should start a thread for that or maybe someone already made one, but that's a big problem for Sony users.

There was already a thread about it.

All they were saying apparently was that countries without a PS Store won't be able to get PS+ to access multiplayer... but most people who live in those countries just get PS+ from the US/UK/Japan/etc and may just get their online multiplayer that way.

However, we don't have 100% confirmation that it will work. We just know that all the services work when you sign up for another region's PS+ now, so the assumption is that it'll be the same for the PS4.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
#PS4NoDRM is confirmed explicitly by Sony to have influenced Sony's decisions on the DRM front and helped codify the message within the company, and also led to hundreds of news stories which increased awareness with consumers (leading to massively one-sided public perception like with the Amazon poll). That reassurance from consumers led to the confident Sony E3 press conference and Jack Tretton's crowd-pleaser, which fueled even more DRM awareness and pressure on Microsoft.

100% right.

I'm glad to have been any part of it.

GAF deserves credit.

In this instance, the noise GAF made helped media and press pick up on the situation. They, in turn, escalated the issue even further. Sony deliberately used the media and consumer noise on DRM at the E3 conference to make it seem like a huge deal, and it ended up growing further and ended all over the mainstream. Even if Sony didn't intend on implementing any DRM like MS, they weren't aware that it would cause this huge of a fuss, and they took advantage of that. I guarantee you that. I've seen the E3 script before it was finalised. I know their notes.

The credit for this change and mass attention comes back to this campaign. This is where it began. So, no, whilst MS didn't solely change policies thanks to this, this effort was incredible and lovely to see. It started that domino effect that escalated this to an issue which could not be ignored. Everyone played their part, but GAF was there at the beginning to start that ripple effect.

The positive light on Sony has led to demand being very favourable for the PS4. The recent pre-order data, combined with the rest, likely made Microsoft think they need to back out now or it's going to be game over before the console even gets a serious chance.

Oh ya they deserve credit, but when Sony was saying "we love this compassion" and Shuhei was trolling with Death Ray Manta, MS was updating the official Xbox site with all the DRM of the console. Sony listened before the pre-order wave started even if the DRM thing theoretically could have meant more money for them and MS continued for weeks with the same crap they had been spewing since the reveal. The fact that MS has now had to ditch some of the most promising features the console had, like the family sharing plan, shows they never intended to ditch the setup they had but they got shoved to the edge of the cliff and the ground started to crack underneath them.

Also the fact that only days ago MS was still continuing the spinning and arrogant statements to overnight 180 says it all. Just looking at the attitudes since the individual console reveals, it's much more apparent that Sony was putting consumers first and foremost where MS was basically saying "Don't like it? Deal with it." I agree that the pre-order thing was most likely the last straw when they saw the "best sellers" list on Amazon flooded with PS4 stuff. No matter how stubborn they were, the second money started talking, then consumers are the most important thing in the World for them. We really do owe Sony everything for really listening and making such a big deal about it at E3 and showing that consumers are everything.

Tom_Cody

Quoted for truth.

Mlatador

Banned
You're trying way too hard. If you want to thread shit, at least do it clearly. Of course, you can continue your stint in trolling if you like, but doing it in this thread probably isn't the wisest choice.

I'm not trolling. I mean it. I hate the no-used games policies and the AAA games market (as it is now). BOTH are something that's just bound to fail. No-used policies are the first step, but hopefully the AAA market will follow.

Because you cannot create AAA multi-million dollar games that due to their high budgets NEED to play it EXTREMLY safe and thus have such a low replay value that people just don't want them to keep and rather sell them to finance the next, focus-tested, pseudo-cinematic shootbang shitfest --- AND, at the same time, expect people to NOT trade them in like there is no tomorrow.

It's a vicious circle that the big publishers tried to get out off - but they just can't - as we have seen now. People will NEVER accept NO-USED policies.

So I couldn't be happier. Soon I hope the big AAA games will fall and the variety come back!! :D

MogCakes

I get what you're saying, but GAF did get the ball rolling. It is sad that it had to snowball into a mammoth to get MS to change though. However the important thing is: they 180'd, and have begun to climb out of the massive hole they dug.

I'm not trolling. I mean it. I hate the no-used games policies and the AAA games market (as it is now). BOTH are something that's just bound to fail. No-used policies are the first step, but hopefully the AAA market will follow.

Because you cannot create AAA multi-million dollar games that due to their high budgets NEED to play it EXTREMLY save and thus have such a low replay value that people just don't want them to keep and rather sell them to finance the next, focus-tested, pseudo-cinematic shootbang shitfest --- AND, at the same time, expect people to NOT trade them in like there is no tomorrow.

It's a vicious circle that the big publishers tried to get out off - but they just can't - as we have seen now. People will NEVER accept NO-USED policies.

So I couldn't be happier. Soon I hope the big AAA games will fall and the variety come back!! :D

Oh. My bad man, I thought you were meta-trolling. I'm getting way too cynical.

There was already a thread about it.

All they were saying apparently was that countries without a PS Store won't be able to get PS+ to access multiplayer... but most people who live in those countries just get PS+ from the US/UK/Japan/etc and may just get their online multiplayer that way.

However, we don't have 100% confirmation that it will work. We just know that all the services work when you sign up for another region's PS+ now, so the assumption is that it'll be the same for the PS4.

Ok, thanks for that.

hal9001

Banned
This is possibly the biggest, most successful coordinated consumer action ever undertaken.
It's literally for the history books. People will read about it in marketing classes from here to eternity. It's two of the biggest fucking conglomerates in the world changing their entire delivery system because of the backlash.

It's bigger than New Coke.

Holy fuck famous mortimer. Holy fuck Neogaf.

This whole DRM console saga with its twist and turns deserves its own movie/documentary. You literally couldn't make it up. Incredible.

I get what you're saying, but GAF did get the ball rolling. It is sad that it had to snowball into a mammoth to get MS to change though. However the important thing is: they 180'd, and have begun to climb out of the massive hole they dug.

Of course GAF got the ball rolling, I never said they didn't. I said that MS didn't care about the negative feedback until the pre-order numbers started talking, they listen to money. Sony on the other hand instantly jumped on board and reacted at the time it mattered most while stubborn MS continued on with "Don't have online? Buy a 360" to "We ain't scared of Sony, pfftt". In the grand scheme of things, I say it's GAF >>>>>Sony >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> money > MS.

Woffls

I have a feeling this isn't over. Publishers still might be able to leverage these platforms to make their own DRM. Perhaps not any time soon, but one day someone will try this again, and it will be interesting to see if we respond in the same way.

It's a great victory for us gamers. That said, make no mistake, they are backing up because of the low preorders, bad press and perhaps because they realised their so called family plan would actually make devs lose more money than used games ever will. They are not backing up because they care about us, just because they want our hard earned money. I'm sure they will end up lowering the price too, just so they can compete one on one with Sony.

I'm still boycotting Xbone 180, personally, as this move doesn't absolve them of anything. All the terrible PR of the last few months is still there in my mind and heart , all the condensending messenging... I just hope gamers won't forget this and won't fall directly into Microsoft's money grabbing hands. Remember who listened to you , and those that changed just for money reasons.

nib95

Banned
And so many called us naive. Fuck all the doubters. Gamers prevailed. Though I can't say I'm still not very skeptical and cautious of Microsoft.

Brashnir

Nobody can ever give any assurance that their company's policies won't ever change in the future. I can't guarantee that Microsoft won't include live hand grenades in their Xbox One S models, or that PS4 won't ever have a bundle with a free puppy.

The important thing is that they changed their policies now because they finally realized that what they were doing was a terrible business move.

Ikael

This is incredible. I feel bad now for not having a proper Twitter account and being out these last days (job trip) so I could have contributed more to this cause. Still: holy freaking shit everyone, you guys are freaking amazing. This IS a turning point in consumer rights, and who knows if this could ever apply to politics. History in the making.

Steroyd

I will admit, I didn't believe for one second that Microsoft would reverse their DRM policy, but it was a beautiful sight to behold when they did.

MogCakes

GAF >>>>>Sony >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> money > MS.

I agree with that. Sony were already leaning towards no and the movement solidified it; MS wouldn't listen until the preorders and near universal backlash gave them cold feet. Hopefully this will be a lesson to all companies in the game industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom