• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well I'll still take part, GAF actually got Naughty Dog to put in an option in U3 controls to make the game much more replayable, it was actually pretty amazing how fast they got someone from GAF to come down and then implement it, so this place does have more power than some give it credit for.

Definitely, annoys me when people say "this is only a forum, no one cares about what we do here." We are a community and have the power to change things or at least get people to notice, as this thread once again shows.

Woffls

I done tweeted that twitter thing. I'm sure they're well aware of people's opinions on the matter, so let's hope they are able to still do something.

Sony need to really pick a good time to reveal their DRM stance If it's an awesome one, they can either do it now and show up Microsoft, or at E3 and win everyone over in 90 minutes.

If they're adopting the same measures that we think Microsoft are, then they should get that out of the way so that people's expectations are appropriate for E3. Of course, they need to be sure of Microsoft's stance before they say anything, so I expect Sony will wait until after the E3 conference to clarify any negative stance on the subject and just hope that the conference will carry them through.

Not that any of this matters to the rest of the market. I'm really interested to see how they respond to this news, and I'm guessing it will be a similar response. Mostly because of the used games thing.

What's going to be super important is the right media channels communicating what each console is offering/restricting and letting consumers know how it affects them. They'll have to report positive news about Nintendo, though, so that might be a conflict of interest...

Did my part as well. Tweeted to Yoshida and the others. I also wanted to say that I am very proud of being part of such a great community! Keep it up guys!

hal9001

Banned
My only concern with this campaign that the average casual gamer might mistakenly think that the ps4 is doing these policies and that the negative attention is dragged away from microsoft and is instead placed and assoacited with playstation brand. But nevertheless its still a great campaign to do, so keep up the good work.

artist

Banned
It can't hurt, so I've whipped together an open letter / call to action page:

http://gofreak-ie.appspot.com/ps4usedgames

Feedback on the wording or content or other ideas welcome.
Here is my feedback

x1u3q.gif

Gori

My only concern with this campaign that the average casual gamer might mistakenly think that the ps4 is doing these policies and that the negative attention is dragged away from microsoft and is instead placed and assoacited with playstation brand.

Well if your fear is more about how your brand is associated rather than the actual policies that brand puts in place, that's just wrong.

My only concern with this campaign that the average casual gamer might mistakenly think that the ps4 is doing these policies and that the negative attention is dragged away from microsoft and is instead placed and assoacited with playstation brand.

That can be a good or bad thing. Putting Sony in the spotlight would force them to act and that's what we want. Right now they are sitting and waiting. Unlike Microsoft, Sony as a company cannot afford to piss off their fanbase.

hal9001

Banned
Well if your fear is more about how your brand is associated rather than the actual policies that brand puts in place, that's just wrong.
I just meant that your average day person might notice this trending on twitter and mistakenly take it as a negative when its really a positive campaign.

Alec

Perfectly fine comments were downvoted for some reason. I voted it back up for the hell of it.

There is an auto-downvoter "built in" to the site. It attempts to balance the false upvotes. Just because something was downvoted doesn't mean that it was downvoted by a human being.

My only concern with this campaign that the average casual gamer might mistakenly think that the ps4 is doing these policies and that the negative attention is dragged away from microsoft and is instead placed and assoacited with playstation brand. But nevertheless its still a great campaign to do, so keep up the good work.

That should be an even bigger concern for Sony and another reason for them not to do it. They should just keep in mind what they've said so far

On who the PS4 is targeted at

Jack Tretton: Well, the casual experience is going to be there, and it's already there on the PlayStation 3. We have free-to-play models, we have 99 cent games, but the real heat behind the gaming industry--behind the PlayStation consumer--is that dedicated gamer, and they're who we're speaking to, they're who we start with, and they get it. And that audience is growing. We've sold 30% more consoles this generation as opposed to the previous generation.

On used games

We are just now announcing the basic vision and strategy of PS4 and will have more information to share regarding used games later this year. But PlayStation has a long history of keeping its gamers happy and we won't make decisions that damage our relationship with them.

If there's any truth to either comment then an anti-used games policy won't be in place in the PS4.

Krabardaf

I'm just saying I find spamming Sony's high ranked personal to express your opinions is disrespectful. I also asked if you'd like to receive hundreds of tweets that aren't even directly targeted at you.

But I also said it was perfectly fine to protest via hashtags. I'm evidently in favor of the right to voice an opinion. I only took issue with the way this tread seemed to do it at first.
And I issued a reminder that regardless of how vocal you are, a Steam-like policy is unlikely to severely affect sales. At the end of the day, that's what Sony cares the most about.

I should have avoided direct comparison with riot, I admit, I was just pointing out that spamming real people accounts was more intrusive and offensive than a public demonstration.
But that's just me, and I'm not in favor of aggressive DRM such as always online.

End of rant, won't repeat myself indefinitely, and my issue with this seemed to have vanished anyway. Have fun.

nib95

Banned
Until Sony confirms they are not doing DRM, it's both.

Sony has already stated that they'd leave it up to the publishers. At least Yosp did anyway. They've also said the console does not need to be online (a massive portion of their market has no Internet) and that PS Eye is not mandatory, though it will be a pack in.

I made two threads on the biggest Online gaming communities in Italy, I'll try to whip out a letter for local and national press later, I hope someone will grab the news and give us more exposure.

There is an auto-downvoter "built in" to the site. It attempts to balance the false upvotes. Just because something was downvoted doesn't mean that it was downvoted by a human being.

Balancing false upvotes? And what's with balancing false downvotes? Again, this is why I hate Reddit.

scakko84

I made two threads on the biggest Online gaming communities in Italy, I'll try to whip out a letter for local and national press later, I hope someone will grab the news and give us more exposure.

Nice to see some fellow italian in here... keep up the good work man. Cheers from Verona.

PaulLFC

What is a false upvote? It only lets me upvote things once - are there programs people use to get more upvotes or something?

Sony. Chances like this come once in a decade. You're prime for domination possibly. Do the right thing and you'll have thousands if not hundreds of thousands of loyal fans over night.

You said you wanted to take back the console market and for the PS4 to be a gaming machine.

Time to put up or shut up.

nubbe

Sony. Chances like this come once in a decade. You're prime for domination possibly. Do the right thing and you'll have thousands if not hundreds of thousands of loyal fans over night.

You said you wanted to take back the console market and for the PS4 to be a gaming machine.

Time to put up or shut up.

but bean counters love DRM

HT UK

What do you guys feel would be a good alternative to Xbone's strategy?

I just find it very unlikely that one console will have such restrictive DRM, whilst the other will have nothing. PS4 must have some sort of system in place.

What do you guys feel would be a good alternative to Xbone's strategy?

I just find it very unlikely that one console will have such restrictive DRM, whilst the other will have nothing. PS4 must have some sort of system in place.

It does, but to implement it to all games, that would be the nightmare scenario. PS3 also have the system in place, but hardly any game used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom