• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys feel would be a good alternative to Xbone's strategy?

I just find it very unlikely that one console will have such restrictive DRM, whilst the other will have nothing. PS4 must have some sort of system in place.

I honestly think that an well priced online pass is still the best solution for used games.
I would understand paying, let's say, 5(1 Dollar to Sony, the rest for the developers) dollars to gain multiplayer priviledges for a used game I bought, and if I don't want to pay I can always play off-line.
In this way, I can select which games I want to support, and which I don't. It's a democratic and reasonable method. Of course, getting rid of the AAA system, and lowering the prices would be an immensely better option, and a weathier scenario for the Industry as a whole.

dosh

Explain..

He probably means that some of the hostnames listed in the visitors statistics are from publishers' studios. Stuff like 71-19-177-226.dedicated.Ubi.com

This means that some people from studios are looking at this, probably guys and girls working in the dev teams (they are players too, and some of them are on Gaf).

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just got home from work and off to bed now. Keep up the good work fellow gaffers. Glad you're making your voices be heard by tweeting/spreading this thing. Hope to wake up to more updates with other major websites picking up on this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
He probably means that some of the hostnames listed in the visitors statistics are from publishers' studios. Stuff like 71-19-177-226.dedicated.Ubi.com

This means that some people from studios are looking at this, probably guys and girls working in the dev teams (they are players too, and some of them are on Gaf).

Yeah. And I shan't name names since I think privacy is privacy, and we're probably talking about 'regular folks'.

But it is spreading :)

Xater

I like Gofreaks letter but I'll continue with the more personal approach.

bildschirmfoto2013-052euii.png

RpgN

Done to both DRM always online and no used games. Although I won´t support them anymore after this shit, I´m happy to be able to support others who still wanted to buy these systems.

dosh

Yeah. And I shan't name names since I think privacy is privacy, and we're probably talking about 'regular folks'.

But it is spreading :)

As it should. Frankly, your letter is well-written, and it sums up the situation and people concerns very nicely.

Well, I bet the pressure from publishers is pretty high..

If famousmortimer's sources are accurate, then there's very little pressure from publishers. According to him this is more about Sony and MS wanting to make more money than about publishers pushing them around.

Corto

It will be really weird if Sony just say "lol no" after all this.

But just think if they show the open mind to give us a benign DRM without any used games limitations. They'll have us at our knees then. This could turn to be a really great marketing coup for PS4 and with little effort from Sony itself.

MMaRsu

Banned
My god that first comment.. are people really that fucking dumb?

I mean, why would you ever be anti used games? Why would you be so shortsighted to say "well I always buy new so it doesnt affect me". My god..

Corto

I mean, why would you ever be anti used games? Why would you be so shortsighted to say "well I always buy new so it doesnt affect me". My god..

Just a contrarian troll.

QP3

But just think if they show the open mind to give us a benign DRM without any used games limitations. They'll have us at our knees then. This could turn to be a really great marketing coup for PS4 and with little effort from Sony itself.

They would win my support not just for this gen, but for those to come as well.

Audioboxer

I know. I usually buy new unless it's a rarer game that's hard to get new at an okay price, but the biggest thing is my GF and I share our collections.

MMaRsu

Banned
I know. I usually buy new unless it's a rarer game that's hard to get new at an okay price, but the biggest thing is my GF and I share our collections.

Exactly, I mostly buy new as well, but I do like selling my old games and buying new games with that money.

I also like giving out games I've finished to friends. Most of the times those are games they wouldn't have bought themselves, but are open to new experiences.

Xater

This is true, I lend some games to a close friend and a family member, it helped creating bonds and the love from gaming can only grow that way too.

Sharing is caring. :)

But for real, I trade games with my friends. Not as often as I was younger but I think it would be an awful thing to lose. There are countless franchises from back in the day where I played a friends copy of a game and later got the later games all myself. Tekken is just on example, there is also Mega Man, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil and probably a lot of others that I can't remember from the top of my head.

scakko84

I always buy new too but i'm not so dumb to think this used games drm stuff is something to be proud of.
Lending/used games is very important, lending games to friends is the reason why some of my friends now are into franchises they didn't know nothing of.

Even if this doesn't affect me it does not mean it doesn't affect others and i'll not buy a console with such a drm system by principle even if it would not affect me AT ALL.

Carl

Yes, feel free to change recipients etc. however you like :) The default text is just a suggestion.

Need something on the letter about how many people only manage to afford new games by selling old ones. It's a very big thing. If they put DRM in i see new game sales declining.

That's not to mention that many people borrow games, enjoy them, they purchase the prequels/sequels. This stuff benefits publishers. DRM would be bad for everyone.

Stuart444

I buy new when I can as well however some games that are out of print or just hard to find, I may only be able to buy/find used. And usually that would be from amazon/ebay instead of GAME so a solution like MS' one (where they have an agreement with specified retailers) that cuts out amazon marketplace sellers and ebay doesn't work that well for me either.

ElRenoRaven

I love this. Seeing people stand up and do whatever they can do to make their voices heard is just awesome. Let's show people that we the consumers still have the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom