• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's 8GB RAM was kept secret from third-party devs until console reveal

This is what I don't get, if Sony can do this, why can't MS do the same thing?

People are very likely reading far too much into this. Sony probably didn't want to pick higher density RAM but tons of devs complained about the specs so they caved and gave they what they want.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I wonder, does that mean the 8GB are for games only?

Probably just means that Sony has already set a hard limit on the OS, as Sony updated the XMB on the PS3 they also slowly released memory back to developers over the years, they went from like 120+ to around 45ish iirc. The PS4 is probably taking 512-1GB and that wont ever be released back to future proof anything they need to do.

I think 8GB was a last minute thing. Which is why I don't put much weight in the XBOX specs, if Sony put it to third parties that PS4 would have 4GB and then changed it, what's to stop MS from doing the same thing? It's not too late.

At this point MS could probably bump up the amount of Ram if they wanted, if the rumours of the OS taking up 2-3GB for whatever they will be doing it true then I could see them bumping it up so that the memory available to games is more inline with the PS4. Changing Ram type though isn't as easy, so I wouldn't expect them to suddenly jump to GDDR5 too unless they are willing to absorb to cost of a change like that and the time to make it happen before release.

As mentioned in the topic, a few things had to happen for Sony to offer 8GB, if higher GDDR5 densities hadn't become available we would no doubt still have only 4GB.

faridmon

No wonder the Devs are crazy about it. I suppose, if they knew about it beforehand, they wouldn't make as much positive remarks about the console as they are now.

"especially DDR5 memory, because it's so fast you don't have to have everything there at once. You can swap it in and out instantly, effectively.

Wait. Where exactly are they swapping memory instantly in and out of? Surely not the blu-ray disc or the HDD.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So Deep Down was running on at most half the RAM that the final kit has. Thats pretty crazy.

If it was actually running on a dev kit and not a pc of course

Azull

Yo we making a game thats capable of 160 terraflops, and then they reveal that we have more flops to flop, and man I don't even know how we can cope with that many flops.

For some reason I laughed uncontrollably when I read this. Probably because I pictured Xzibit saying it.

Feature

Banned
They wanted to catch Microsoft by surprise and they did. Microsoft is probably now scrambling around to make their system more powerful, hence them being very quiet. I bet they wanted to announce a long time ago but the PS4 announcement made them hold back.

Why do people have to pick up on the slightest typo, when it's perfectly obvious what he means, just in order to make some smart alec remark.

Seriously.

The dude doesn't know what AF is, you really can't be certain he knows the difference between DDR5 and GDDR5:

Anyway, and again I stick my hand up and say "WTF?" I know what MSAA, but what's "af" ? I'm the business guy now, NOT an actual developer so that term is lost on me.

So Deep Down was running on at most half the RAM that the final kit has. Thats pretty crazy.

If it was actually running on a dev kit and not a pc of course

Didn't they only show a couple scenes? They probably didn't even come close to filling the 4GB of memory available to them up.

I want to know why you would keep a secret like that. Aren't you hindering development speed in the short term?

Prevent leaks. Normally graphics and optimization are the last thing to be worked in in most game dev productions so they keep it secret announce the specs months before the console release to give devs time to work out kinks.

Kinda smart especially if they didn't know where the leaks were coming from.

Edge leaked the info anyway

iirc they were the odd ones out right? I thought other sources rumored 4 gigs.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I wonder if they held back the specs from devs to avoid potential leaks?

That would be my guess. What's to stop them from blabbing to Microsoft that it's only 4GB? Perhaps that's part of the reason we haven't seen Durango revealed.

Sony probably wanted to avoid another :
metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20060109004411479.jpg

case of over-promising and under delivering. This time they started out with weak specs and gradually built their way up.

Wait. Where exactly are they swapping memory instantly in and out of? Surely not the blu-ray disc or the HDD.
The memory is SO FAST that makes the Blu-ray disc go faster. Unless Nintendo, that uses 2004-era RAM technology and can't of course impregnate it's blu ray with the speed of the RAM, Sony does what everyone's PC can also do.

gbovo

Swapping assets in and out of memory, not swapping memory chips.

An "added bonus" of PS4's memory is that Sony has "already ring-fenced the system memory away from the game memory," Gilray adds, "so there's none of this business that we had with PS3 of having to share memories.
This is the most interesting part. Is he confirming that PS4's OS does not use any part of the 8GB GDDR5 RAM, and uses it's own dedicated (flash?) memory?

If so, that means devs have access to all of the 8gigs of ram, and don't have to share it with the OS (rumoured to be 512mb).
That's unreleased information that nobody has made mention of.

Pitmonkey

I wouldn't doubt the delay in confirmation was due to the internal struggle to get the 8gb approved. Down to the wire, is my assumption.

Remember when some claimed that there's no way Sony could get even 4GB of RAM in PS4? Because of 'motherboard complexity'? Yeah...

Hey Thuway is a liar!

Hey if thuway is liar, but states he is liar, wouldn't that mean the statement is a lie and he is normally tell the truth? Or is the statement a truthful statement in which in immediately cast the doubt on the veracity of the claim he is a liar? Ahhhhhhhh!!!

yes, but what's the other thing involved in the swapping? that's what we're getting at. it's not going to be practically instant unless for some crazy reason you're swapping something from RAM to RAM. you're either swapping from SSD, HD or BD-Rom, and either way, it's not going to be the RAM that's the bottleneck.

yes, but what's the other thing involved in the swapping? that's what we're getting at. it's not going to be practically instant unless for some crazy reason you're swapping something from RAM to RAM. you're either swapping from SSD, HD or BD-Rom, and either way, it's not going to be the RAM that's the bottleneck.

What he said.

RAM <--> CPU/GPU = "effectively instant", sure. But you don't call that "swapping assets in and out"

RAM <--> HDD/SSD/BD = GDDR5 ain't gonna help you there.

VVV Mars VG

No surprise, the 360 ending up more powerful than previously expected. The Saturn had an extra SH2 chip whacked in last minute.

Everyone likes to keep a little bit back ;)

Busty

Banned
So Microsoft wouldn't find out is the likely reason. Sony were probably thinking that it would be too late for them to combat it if they found out that late.

Pretty much. I imagine it's far too late for MS to directly 'answer' Sony's move.

Not that they'd bother anyway.

Raven77

so incomplete games/demos on incomplete hardware, makes sense

You realize that they don't supply devs with ONLY one version of a dev kit right? They have at least 2-3 versions each with hardware variances to some degree.

This is not uncommon practice at all. Very few devs get early access to "final" hardware in their dev kits till much closer or even after release of the home console.

Durante

This is the most interesting part. Is he confirming that PS4's OS does not use any part of the 8GB GDDR5 RAM, and uses it's own dedicated (flash?) memory?

If so, that means devs have access to all of the 8gigs of ram, and don't have to share it with the OS (rumoured to be 512mb).
I really don't believe that's what he's saying. He is probably saying that Sony has already fixed some amount of memory that will be used for the OS, and developers will not need to worry about it shrinking, or using more memory when specific OS features are used (I believe this was the case on PS3).

Angelcurio

An "added bonus" of PS4's memory is that Sony has "already ring-fenced the system memory away from the game memory," Gilray adds, "so there's none of this business that we had with PS3 of having to share memories.

This is the interesting part, does that mean that system memory is being kept separate from game memory? meaning that the full 8gigs of memory is available for games only?

Omeyocan

I think that the OS footprint is part of the whole system memory.

Only Mark Cerny did.

He even made the powerpoint presentation.

Kaz sitting there in the audience and as soon as he hears Mark Cerny say 8gb he thinks "wtf?!" Then when he hears Cerny say GDDR5 Kaz shouts "WTF?! You're a dead man!" while being held back by Tretton and Yoshida.

Now you know why Cerny had that evil smile.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If the whole 8 Gigs is reserved only for gaming purpose, then it's very good news !

That's not what they're saying. They're saying that a certain amount of the 8 GB will always be reserved for the OS. The full OS will always reside in that memory, so taking advantage of certain features (custom soundtracks, video streaming, etc) won't affect the amount of memory available to the game (which it did on the PS3, if my understanding is correct). I would guess it's logically divided into two separate memory partitions, with devs not having to pay any attention at all to the OS memory part.

Anyway, devs will still have access to something like 7 GB, and that's still a pretty amazing amount of GDDR5. That "missing" 1 GB isn't gonna make or break anything.

This is the interesting part, does that mean that system memory is being kept separate from game memory? meaning that the full 8gigs of memory is available for games only?

If you read some of JeffRigby's theories he proposes that GDDR5 is not suitable for use with the ARM processor that will be used for the PS4's OS. He thinks that in order to have a secure OS, you also need a secure UI (makes sense) and as such the only way to have both is for the ARM processor to also contain a GPU (ARM Mali). In order to maintain a low-power mode (Cerny has talked about background downloads even when PS4 is "off") then at the least the ARM processor needs RAM but GDDR5 draws too much wattage to conform to low-power mode standards.

TLDR Rigby speculates the ARM processor will have its own RAM for OS usage.

It makes sense to me and sounds great, but whether it happens no one is 100% yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's how I read it but I'm not sure if that's right or not. Would be amazing if true.

It was also pretty obvious that third parties didn't know about the change. I just hope they found out early enough to take advantage of it a bit by launch.

They were wise for doing so, and what's this crap about the extra 8GB suddenly making 60fps more possible. It's already possible enough on the current PS4 specs if it only had 4GB.

Top Bottom