• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's 8GB RAM was kept secret from third-party devs until console reveal

JCizzle

I want to know why you would keep a secret like that. Aren't you hindering development speed in the short term?

Because the hype it caused was so great that the Internet nearly exploded. Truly an omg moment when these things normally seem to be well known weeks or even months ahead of time

Orca

This is the interesting part, does that mean that system memory is being kept separate from game memory? meaning that the full 8gigs of memory is available for games only?

It sounds more like the full OS requirement is gated away so there's no worry about having to deal with an increased demand if gamers want to open the XMB or things like that.

Respawn

Banned
I think 8GB was a last minute thing. Which is why I don't put much weight in the XBOX specs, if Sony put it to third parties that PS4 would have 4GB and then changed it, what's to stop MS from doing the same thing? It's not too late.

If the console was built around DDR3 then no you cannot up the specs to GDDR5 and even adding more ram wont help and will be costly.

Sendou

Yep, ps4 threads are for Sony guys only. As a mainly PC gamer myself, I'm very interested in specs and discussions what next-gen will bring.

This. Not the least because the more powerful these consoles are the less gimped PC gaming will be going forward five years from now.

I want to know why you would keep a secret like that. Aren't you hindering development speed in the short term?

Starts with Micro and ends with soft. It really was kept a secret to give them an edge in the hardware race. If Microsoft got wind of this information early on, they could have used their deep connections in the PC industry to match that.

For a PC guy, you sure spend a lot of your time in PS4 threads... I'm not sure what it could mean though.

Head into the MS threads, you'll see that I have a pretty strong presence there too. I like talking about stuff :)

Edit: And to explain the "migraine" comment, it's not about the 30 fps. It's about the game journalist's complete lack of undestanding when it comes to specs and their effect on performance.

Triple U

Banned
Yep, ps4 threads are for ps3 guys only. As a mainly PC gamer myself, I'm very interested in specs.
Not really.

It's just that PS4 specs have been discussed about as much as they can, with most of PC GAF already turning their nose up. Most anything regarding consoles and their graphics/hardware has been spit on repeatedly and PCers have already championed about how "they've already had next-gen for years" yet they still show up in almost every thread to repeat it. And to complain. I think it deserves to be called out.

synce

I'm surprised Sony even considered 4GB RAM. A decent laptop today has 8GB RAM + 2GB VRAM. Anything less than 8GB GDRR5 would've been underwhelming IMO (*cough*cough*)

kuroshiki

I'm surprised Sony even considered 4GB RAM. A decent laptop today has 8GB RAM + 2GB VRAM. Anything less than 8GB GDRR5 would've been underwhelming IMO (*cough*cough*)

what is the price of this decent laptop you are talking about?

Into

This pardons the mistake that EDGE made, since nobody apparently knew, thus their rumors so far have all been correct.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i can just imagine it. in the back they were rehearsing the lines with Mark Cerny.

"Ok, Mark, make sure you say 4 GB of Ram at this point."

"Right, 4 GB of ram. Right."

Later on...

"8 GB OF GDDR5 RAM."

Unseen executive in the back: "NO MARK, NOOOOOO!!!"

what is the price of this decent laptop you are talking about?

$1800

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Competent PC's run fine with 4GB. The bump up provides better things like textures but we could get by without that but why would we want to :)

I really don't believe that's what he's saying. He is probably saying that Sony has already fixed some amount of memory that will be used for the OS, and developers will not need to worry about it shrinking, or using more memory when specific OS features are used (I believe this was the case on PS3).

That is what ringfencing means in the financial world, and that is what I suspect he meant here.

E.g. 1GB is ring fenced for system use, leaving 7GB for the game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That is what ringfencing means in the financial world, and that is what I suspect he meant here.

E.g. 1GB is ring fenced for system use, leaving 7GB for the game.

Or it could even be like Vita and have a set amount already aside for just OS function on top of the 512~ pool for games.

i can just imagine it. in the back they were rehearsing the lines with Mark Cerny.

"Ok, Mark, make sure you say 4 GB of Ram at this point."

"Right, 4 GB of ram. Right."

Later on...

"8 GB OF GDDR5 RAM."

Unseen executive in the back: "NO MARK, NOOOOOO!!!"

$1800

LOL... hate to ruin the fun but the 8 GEE BEES were in the slides:
IMG_3006.jpg

Not really.

It's just that PS4 specs have been discussed about as much as they can, with most of PC GAF already turning their nose up. Most anything regarding consoles and their graphics/hardware has been spit on repeatedly and PCers have already championed about how "they've already had next-gen for years" yet they still show up in almost every thread to repeat it. And to complain. I think it deserves to be called out.

Exactly.

The same old faces keep coming in and shitting on PS4 threads. There's no comments on whether they're excited about new social features, the exclusive games, the new controller,etc: it's always comments on the technical make-up of the PS4 system.

We get it.

The constant shitting on PS4 specs is as tiresome as it is predictable.

You've already had "next-gen" for years? Great. I'm genuinely happy for you. Why can't you be happy for us that we (the console folk) are going to get a generational jump instead of constantly looking down on us?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really don't believe that's what he's saying. He is probably saying that Sony has already fixed some amount of memory that will be used for the OS, and developers will not need to worry about it shrinking, or using more memory when specific OS features are used (I believe this was the case on PS3).

This sounds more likely. I just hope they do the same thing as the Vita and have a "lite-OS" mode so that there can be as much RAM available as possible. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about the OS reserve in a while. I think the 512mb number is the only one that's been rumored.

killbox

they did the same thing on PSP. It had 8megs of ram confirmed....all the way until just before launch...then it was 32megs, with only 22 available to devs. So launch titles had to pretend it was 8, and hope for more.

You can get a decently priced laptop with 8GB of GDDR5? Please show me this revelation.

I know nothing about the tech side, all I know is what I see on the screen, and from what I've seen I'm liking it.

Question though - the suggestion that the reason Thief was capped at 30 FPS is due to the believe the system would have 4GB as opposed to 8GB; is this true? Would this be a legitimate reason for the cap?

Not directly, but I have been told that you can pre bake some animations and keep them in the RAM while freeing up the GPU/CPU to up the framerate, but I have absolutely no clue.

We get it.

The constant shitting on PS4 specs is as tiresome as it is predictable.

No, you really don't. Once again:

Edit: And to explain the "migraine" comment, it's not about the 30 fps. It's about the game journalist's complete lack of understanding when it comes to specs and their effect on performance.

Are we good now? I wasn't making fun of the PS4's specs. I was making fun of the clueless game journalist.

No, you really don't. Once again:

Are we good now? I wasn't making fun of the PS4's specs. I was making fun of the clueless game journalist.
I wasn't referring to your post in this thread but speaking generally (and I didn't name names either) so it's funny how you have responded...

I'm far too lazy to bother but it wouldn't be too difficult to go through your recent post history and provide examples of your constant PS4 trolling. Why not let folks be happy and excited for PS4 instead of constantly pissing on their bonfire?

Salaadin

Mark Cerny seems like a cool guy. I want to buy him a cup of coffee or something.

Its actually surprising to me that Sony kept this a secret from 3rd party devs. I dont know..I would assume that the devs, first or third party, are the first people you tell. The reasoning behind keeping it secret does make sense though.

Mario007

Mark Cerny seems like a cool guy. I want to buy him a cup of coffee or something.

Its actually surprising to me that Sony kept this a secret from 3rd party devs. I dont know..I would assume that the devs, first or third party, are the first people you tell. The reasoning behind keeping it secret does make sense though.
Can we stop this making it a secret talk? Devs werent told because Sony was only able to secure the the higher density chips now. That's why they could move to clamshell model and double the RAM. There is no conspiracy theory behind it, just Sony not wanting to promise more than was going to be in the box.

i-Lo

This is what I am most interested in as well. Even in the case of PS3, wasn't the memory initially "fenced" or reserved at around 120MB which over the years were reduced to the current standing of 50MB?

I am curious as to how much this "ring fenced" reserve amounts to because it sounds like it's not going to shrink.

I wasn't referring to your post in this thread but speaking generally (and I didn't name names either) so it's funny how you have responded...

I'm far too lazy to bother but it wouldn't be too difficult to go through your recent post history and provide examples of your constant PS4 trolling. Why not let folks be happy and excited for PS4 instead of constantly pissing on their bonfire?

Because it makes him feel secure in his choice of platform.

Why not let folks be happy and excited for PS4 instead of constantly pissing on their bonfire?

I would be more than happy too, as long as any comparisons are limited to current-gen consoles and-or the nextbox. When people start making false claims about the PS4's power compared to PC, then I become an interested party and I feel the need to speak my mind. It's not my intention to piss on anyone's bonfire.

I would be more than happy too, as long as any comparisons are limited to current-gen consoles and-or the nextbox. When people start making false claims about the PS4's power compared to PC, then I become an interested party and I feel the need to speak my mind. It's not my intention to piss on anyone's bonfire.
What false claims? Component for component a console will murder a PC. That doesn't make better spec'd PC's any less powerful.

It's like the thread last week were some Epic dude claimed PS4 was like a perfect PC or something. Every sod jumped on it whilst ignoring the word "like". Not "is", but "like".

It seems the PC lot are so threatened by PS4 they feel the need to invent counter-claims.

Will PS4 be powerful? Yes. Will it be as powerful as some PCs? No. Will it be more powerful than some PCs (including my own)? Yes.

So what's the big deal? What's there to piss on?

To me PS4 will be like a Ford Focus WRC Rally Car. Compared to a standard Focus, it'll batter it. But it's still not gonna compare to an F1 car.

PCs can be Ford Focus's. They can be F1 cars. They can also be Toyota Aygo's.

Be happy with your F1 car and let others be happy with their WRC Focus.

DonMigs85

Cheap ass Nintendo should have put in at least 4GB of DDR3 RAM in Wii U.
I see low end graphics cards under $80 like the Geforce GT 630 with that much memory, and more bandwidth too (over 17GB/sec)

Truespeed

I think Microsoft was surprised at the 8GB GDDR5 reveal. They weren't expecting that and the companies that did have access to the devkits were also under the impression it had only 4GB. And when you have people with access to the PS4 devkits possibly tipping off Microsoft that the PS4 only had 4GB of RAM that was probably all the confirmation they needed. I also find it rather odd that the next Xbox announcement has suspiciously been rescheduled. Could they be looking to spec bump their console? Do they have the time to? In any event, this was well played by Sony and it looks like they're not quite finished with the surprises either.

Triple U

Banned
I think Microsoft was surprised at the 8GB GDDR5 reveal. They weren't expecting that and the companies that did have access to the devkits were also under the impression it had only 4GB. And when you have people with access to the PS4 devkits possibly tipping off Microsoft that the PS4 only had 4GB of RAM that was probably all the confirmation they needed. I also find it rather odd that the next Xbox announcement has suspiciously been rescheduled. Could they be looking to spec bump their console? Do they have the time to? In any event, this was well played by Sony and it looks like they're not quite finished with the surprises either.

Ram? I'd say no way in hell. Unless its getting pushed back.

Evoga

I am guessing they found out the new xbox had 8GB and decided to revise the hardware so it could compete on the same level.

I am guessing they found out the new xbox had 8GB and decided to revise the hardware so it could compete on the same level.

Well I think it was more so that if the average joe saw the numbers 4GB GDDR vs MS's 8GB RAM, they'd *think* MS would be better because of the higher number even though that clearly wasn't the case.

With 8GB this puts them on "even" terms in the eyes of the average joe AND they get a BEAST of a machine for devs to make.

Top Bottom