• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's Automatic RGB setting is unreliable, so double check your TV / PS4

So many different opinions in this thread. Limited or Full for TVs, Low or Normal = Full, etc.

How do I know which is correct? Currently I have this setup...

PS4
RGB Range: Full
Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Range: Full
Deep Color Output: Automatic

TV
Mode: PC
Picture Mode: Entertain
Backlight: 15
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 50 (Appears blurry at low values)
HDMI Black Level: Normal
Most other settings are greyed out such as color, advanced settings, etc.

This is my TV model: Samsung UN32EH5300 32-Inch 1080p 60 Hz Smart LED HDTV http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074FGNJ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the exact same TV as you. You have it right, normal = full, low = limited.

In fact my settings are almost exactly the same as you as well. However I'd suggest using game mode instead of PC mode. PC mode on that TV looks very...colourless. The picture looks dull. Try changing to game mode (as the input AND in the settings, doing this will also change your picture mode to standard automatically) and put the colour setting at about 75 and see what you think. To me it looks a lot better. That's pretty much what I have for setimgs, aside from my sharpness being at 20 instead of 50.

Doomguy84

I have the exact same TV as you. You have it right, normal = full, low = limited.

In fact my settings are almost exactly the same as you as well. However I'd suggest using game mode instead of PC mode. PC mode on that TV looks very...colourless. The picture looks dull. Try changing to game mode (as the input AND in the settings, doing this will also change your picture mode to standard automatically) and put the colour setting at about 75 and see what you think. To me it looks a lot better. That's pretty much what I have for setimgs, aside from my sharpness being at 20 instead of 50.

I also have been trying PC vs Game on the same TV with the same settings...PC looks dull and colorless, and Game looks quite vibrant. What's the benefits of PC? Less screen lag?

TheBoss1

I also have been trying PC vs Game on the same TV with the same settings...PC looks dull and colorless, and Game looks quite vibrant. What's the benefits of PC? Less screen lag?

Y'all think so? When I changed the source name for the first time, I immediately felt like PC mode looked way better. I'll try out game mode one more time and see if it's worth going back to.

Lucreto

Stumbled across this thread

My TV is a 6 years old Sony Bravia kdl40v3000

The PS4 settings are on automatic but I manually change to full RGB and the screen goes black for a second and comes back.

Does that mean that was a settings fault or I am forcing my TV to go to full RGB?

I was thinking to upgrading to the Sony Bravia kdl50w829bbu but the current TV has sentimental value at it was my 21st Birthday present. I could not bear to throw it out or give it away but I have no room to set it up somewhere else.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Bullshit. A lot of TVs nowadays handle the full range just fine. Unless I've been incredibly lucky and had 3 different TVs from 3 different manufacturers which just so happened to be the odd ones out.

i think if you go mid-range or higher you should have no problems. but a lot of really poor quality tvs still get sold. these usually don't let you modify very many settings. like those really shitty tvs people buy on black friday thinking that they are getting a steal. there's usually a reason something sells for $200.

i wouldn't be surprised if there are a decent number of sets where you can't manually set this.

SeanTSC

i think if you go mid-range or higher you should have no problems. but a lot of really poor quality tvs still get sold. these usually don't let you modify very many settings. like those really shitty tvs people buy on black friday thinking that they are getting a steal. there's usually a reason something sells for $200.

i wouldn't be surprised if there are a decent number of sets where you can't manually set this.

Yeah, any TV that's worth a decent amount of money is more than likely basically just a monitor and performs exactly as they do with Full. I could see it being an issue with super cheapy stuff though.

I think the article doesn't at all take into account mid-to-high range TVs that are more or less monitors now.

My God I went into my menu for my projector to mess around with settings and just changed it from Theater Black to Dynamic. The picture looks amazing now. Go back to what I've been playing for YEARS and all the colors look washed out. Not really RGB related but that is what I went into the menus for initially.

I have an LG 55LM7600 (USA).

I see a Black Level setting, right now I have it set to Low (which makes the Full setting on the PS4 cause that first row of black images to be all the same color).

Should I switch that to High and then switch the PS4/etc. to Full?

Stumbled across this thread

My TV is a 6 years old Sony Bravia kdl40v3000

The PS4 settings are on automatic but I manually change to full RGB and the screen goes black for a second and comes back.

Does that mean that was a settings fault or I am forcing my TV to go to full RGB?

I was thinking to upgrading to the Sony Bravia kdl50w829bbu but the current TV has sentimental value at it was my 21st Birthday present. I could not bear to throw it out or give it away but I have no room to set it up somewhere else.

Yes, if it's set to automatic and it blacks out while changing to a specific setting, it means you chose the opposite of what automatic found. Your tv does not support full RGB, IIRC.

Raist

Banned
I have an LG 55LM7600 (USA).

I see a Black Level setting, right now I have it set to Low (which makes the Full setting on the PS4 cause that first row of black images to be all the same color).

Should I switch that to High and then switch the PS4/etc. to Full?

Yes. Although TBH you'll barely perceive a difference between Full/Full and Limited/Limited (or High/Full and Low/Limited in your case, the former being the TV and the latter the PS4).

Yes. Although TBH you'll barely perceive a difference between Full/Full and Limited/Limited (or High/Full and Low/Limited in your case, the former being the TV and the latter the PS4).

So as long as Low/Limited passes that black/grey box image test from earlier in the thread I'm good? It's just making sure one doesn't have a mismatch?

haikira

Just checking. Colour 4, which uses 0-255, would be correct, right?

img_20140907_125846ggsvi.jpg

My computer either has "Standard" RGB setting, which equates to low, or "Nonstandard" which does not state exactly the number range. So for right now, I have it set to Standard, my PS4 set to low, but I can't see the top row of that image. Ugh.

TheBear

Got a weird issue with blacks on my TV. I set the PS4 to full and the TV to full (Panasonic S60) and now I get a weird fuzzy look on the screen with blacks. I changed back to limited on the TV and the screen is dark as fuck. The issue only happens with the PS4. Any ideas?

Padinn

Anyone know which to use with a 2013 Vizio M series (55 inch version)? I've tried the test image and I'm not seeing much of a difference either way.

f@luS

More than a member.
I have a panasonic 65vt50 (eu modèl) and i just cant know If im full or limited. By default my ps4 out limited

image.jpg

image.jpg

My tv has No settings. ONE is full other is limited. What should i put ?

Imho on the First picture i can See a bit the 2nd too left square ... Maybe Im mistaking though

evilalien

I have a panasonic 65vt50 (eu modèl) and i just cant know If im full or limited. By default my ps4 out limited

image.jpg

image.jpg

My tv has No settings. ONE is full other is limited. What should i put ?

Imho on the First picture i can See a bit the 2nd too left square ... Maybe Im mistaking though

If one of those pictures is the PS4 set to limited and the other is the PS4 set to full, the only conclusion I can make is that your TV is able to auto-detect RGB range and adjust properly.

I see no evidence of black crush in either picture (entire first row would be black) which would occur if your PS4 was set to full and your TV was expecting limited. I also see no evidence of overcompressed RGB range in either picture (upper left box would be grey) which would occur if your TV was expecting full and the PS4 was outputting limited. Thus the only conclusion is that your TV is able to auto-detect RGB range if my understanding that one picture is PS4 set to RGB full and the other is the PS4 set to RGB limited is correct.

f@luS

More than a member.
That is right. ONE is limited other is full

So which ONE should i put then? And why is ps4 putting Automatic limited?and What about other settings below rgb output should i put ?

Model is vt50 europeen

On google i found us model has a manual setting for full or limited. But none on eu.
And i CANT find manual ... Or official infos on it

evilalien

That is right. ONE is limited other is full

So which ONE should i put then? And why is ps4 putting Automatic limited?and What about other settings below rgb output should i put ?

Model is vt50 europeen

On google i found us model has a manual setting for full or limited. But none on eu.
And i CANT find manual ... Or official infos on it

It doesn't matter since your TV appears to be doing the correct thing either way. Just go with setting the PS4 to full if you care since it is slightly better objectively.

The PS4 auto setting works correctly, a lot of TV's just don't communicate that they support RGB full so the PS4 defaults to limited on the auto setting which is absolutely the correct behavior.

f@luS

More than a member.
It doesn't matter since your TV appears to be doing the correct thing either way. Just go with setting the PS4 to full if you care since it is slightly better objectively.

The PS4 auto setting works correctly, a lot of TV's just don't communicate that they support RGB full so the PS4 defaults to limited on the auto setting which is absolutely the correct behavior.

Then why with my PS3 i can See a lot of différences between limited and full on the same tv ?

Thanks for ur time

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Open the following link in your PS4 browser. If your TV is set up properly in regards to your RGB settings on your PS4 and TV, then you should be able to make out all the squares. The squares in the top row should be barely visible. If you can't see them -at all- .... then you have crushed blacks. If you see them way too easily, then you have a washed out image.
CLICK THIS IN YOUR PS4 BROWSER: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127322789&postcount=18

Video Description on my set-up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JLZMJUkWM4

okay, i opened it on my ps4. if i look at the gaf post i can see every square (except for the last one in the highest row on the left.) but if i "click" with X on it so the ps4 opens a new tab with only the picture in it..i can see only black except for the first row o.o..
i have a LG 42LM649S with Colour Gamut: Wide

Cdammen

Nice post OP. The Wii U has the same problem for me on my BenQ projector. It's like it can't communicate through HDMI and get the proper settings on auto always defaulting to full when it should be limited.

Raist

Banned
Nice post OP. The Wii U has the same problem for me on my BenQ projector. It's like it can't communicate through HDMI and get the proper settings on auto always defaulting to full when it should be limited.

WiiU doesn't support full RGB.

okay, i opened it on my ps4. if i look at the gaf post i can see every square (except for the last one in the highest row on the left.) but if i "click" with X on it so the ps4 opens a new tab with only the picture in it..i can see only black except for the first row o.o..
i have a LG 42LM649S with Colour Gamut: Wide

Colour Gamut is not the same as RGB range. There should be a seperate setting for that (Black Level low/high).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How should it be set for a PC monitor? It doesn't seem to have any colour settings, so just a case of experimenting with PS4 settings until that test image looks correct?

edit: if I have it set to automatic or limited I can see most of the top row (left half almost disappear), but if I set it to full range the top row is just gone. I would have expected the opposite on a PC monitor? Maybe because I'm connected via HDMI its doing something to it?

edit 2: ok double odd. viewing that image on my monitor, the top row of squares is pretty much gone. So maybe that *is* the correct setting and I need to recalibrate my monitor? with the PS4 on limited the top row seems too visible in comparison so maybe that is washing it out

f@luS

More than a member.
I just checked on wiiu its like on my ps4 pictures

What i dont get is If my vt50 ajust automatically to the console why on PS3 it doesnt as i See a big difference between full and limited ?

Raist

Banned
How should it be set for a PC monitor? It doesn't seem to have any colour settings, so just a case of experimenting with PS4 settings until that test image looks correct?

PC monitors are Full RGB by default. Very few have a direct setting for that.

f@luS

More than a member.
I just checked on wiiu its like on my ps4 pictures

What i dont get is If my vt50 ajust automatically to the console why on PS3 it doesnt as i See a big difference between full and limited ?
Auto quote :0

f@luS

More than a member.
no idea why i do have a difference on ps3 ( full seems crushed) where on ps4 , it looks the same ? (full or limited)?

Raist

Banned
no idea why i do have a difference on ps3 ( full seems crushed) where on ps4 , it looks the same ? (full or limited)?

Maybe the HDMI handshake works better for one than the other.
As long as you know how to get it to work properly, it doesn't matter I guess.

f@luS

More than a member.
Maybe the HDMI handshake works better for one than the other.
As long as you know how to get it to work properly, it doesn't matter I guess.
So my tv would update automatically for ps4 and not PS3? But i dont have manual setting for my tv So i Guess i should stick to limited to be sure as its good for PS3...?

psychotron

Thanks GAF for this thread. My st50 now has no more crushed black. The last of us R is a totally different game now!

Do you have a US ST50? If so, the ST50 auto adjusts based on what it's being fed, unless you specifically tell it not to under the HDMI settings. I believe the options you get are Auto, Standard and Non-Standard. When my ST50 is set to auto, I see no change when feeding it limited or full range RGB. I believe the Kuro's used to do the same thing.

tonypark

Do you have a US ST50? If so, the ST50 auto adjusts based on what it's being fed, unless you specifically tell it not to under the HDMI settings. I believe the options you get are Auto, Standard and Non-Standard. When my ST50 is set to auto, I see no change when feeding it limited or full range RGB. I believe the Kuro's used to do the same thing.

You are right. That was misleading.

I bought it in Canada but I started checking the settings and there was a deep black setting or something that I deactivated, the difference it made was wow... It wasnt related to RGB settings indeed.But this thread made me double check my settings to get the optimal picture quality on my TV. Glad I stopped by! (The grey squares test)

LoveCake

I had a mess about, my TV has a THX certified screen & i have tweaked the settings, there are loads of things to change & it has a painting on the screen so you can see what happens as you are making the changes, i just did what i thought looked the best & i have just had a play of Destiny (PS4) & my eyes are now on stalks O.O

f@luS

More than a member.
i think i got my answer

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-vt50-tx-p50vt50b-3d-plasma-tv-review.276

The DVI Input can be set to Normal/Full where Normal represents video level signals (16-235) and Full corresponds to PC levels (0-255) but if the input is straight HDMI – rather than a HDMI to DVI connection – the VT50 will automatically operate in Normal mode

so in HDMI , its just limited....

still dont explain why my ps3 is quite dark in full , where my ps4 looks the same....whatever. limited it is for me then

Does anyone know if a Panasonic GT30 has full or limited RGB? I can't find anything online.

I've noticed some games being very dark at times, and when I set up the black bars I often have to dial it down a lot of the first one to disappear. Based on the OP, it would seem my TV is limited, but I have my PS4 set to full... I will investigate when I get home.

Ok, so guys - to really break it down simply, and to use generalities here : most of the time, if you have a regular HDTV and as long as you didn't change any of it;'s RGB settings out of the box, you should be fine setting your PS4 to limited/auto.

However, if you're using a computer monitor for your ps4 gaming, then most likely you want to set your ps4 to full.

Ok, so guys - to really break it down simply, and to use generalities here : most of the time, if you have a regular HDTV and as long as you didn't change any of it;'s RGB settings out of the box, you should be fine setting your PS4 to limited/auto.

However, if you're using a computer monitor for your ps4 gaming, then most likely you want to set your ps4 to full.

counter point: use full RGB because your TV it supports it. most newer sets do.

Top Bottom