• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's Automatic RGB setting is unreliable, so double check your TV / PS4

DirtyLarry

Sorry if this has been addressed but I am at work so cannot read through all 13 pages, and someone did ask it on Page 1 but never received an answer.
Exactly how can you determine if your TV supports Full or Limited? It will say so in the setting itself? Or do you just Google your TV make and model with full or limited in the search and find out from there?
TIA,
DL

"- If your TV only has a LIMITED or LOW setting, or if it doesn't even have an option for this at all (probably an older TV) then assume limited, and set the PS4 to LIMITED. As a rule of thumb, it seems MOST PC monitors are set to RGB FULL, thus your PS4 should be set to RGB FULL."

I have an older Samsung monitor, and the only setting related to this I found was under Picture > HDMI Black Level > Low (or Normal)

I have it set to Low because its too bright when on Normal, so is this related to the RGB setting?

Should I leave it on Low and change it to Limited on the PS4 or put it on FULL?

Set your monitor to normal. Then set your ps4 to full.

All pc monitors should be set to ps4 full range.

Likewise, set your xbox one to "PC"

Sorry if this has been addressed but I am at work so cannot read through all 13 pages, and someone did ask it on Page 1 but never received an answer.
Exactly how can you determine if your TV supports Full or Limited? It will say so in the setting itself? Or do you just Google your TV make and model with full or limited in the search and find out from there?
TIA,
DL

Go through your tv settings. And see if there is anything that mentions black level or color range. Set it to the higher setting, than put your ps4 on full. If there is absolutely no setting like this on your tv, set your ps4 to auto.

megazone

Neo Member
Be advised, something in addition to consider.
Many tv's especially sony bravias require you to switch inputs or turn off the tv before the settings actually change if you change from full/limited/auto on the tv.

This can also be complicated it you are running through a av receiver.

GravyButt

So if my tv says color is on 50. Its kind of gray, put ps4 on full and color to 100? It looks a lot better and vibrant and not typical gray, but it almost looks too vibrant

[Asmodean]

Yup the automatic setting has been like this forever.

Here's a easy way to check if your TV supports full and if your setting on the PS4 is correct.

View the below image in the PS4 browser. If your TV supports RGB full you'll be able to see the upper left most square very faintly. If it doesn't support it or if your settings are wrong, you likely won't see most of the top row. Toggle the RGB setting from limited and full and you'll see the difference in the image. If your TV doesn't support Full RGB, you just won't be able to see the top row of squares because the blacks used are blacker than the range RGB Limited can support.

fullrgb_test.jpg

On my PC and I can't see the top row of squares.

Please don't attempt to calibrate your display from your web browser :p 9/10 times it's going to result in inaccurate results.

Save calibration images to your desktop, and view them from there.

---------------------------
#Edit: here's a rough example, below. (still won't be accurate, but it will show the difference).

Left is viewed from the desktop, and right is viewed from the browser.
16465054562_e03b7b686c_o.png

GravyButt

So I messed around and damn im an asshole. All my games look almost gray and dull. Wondering why everyone says how great games like driveclub look and im like meh looks bland. Ya just calibrated and loaded driveclub and farcry 4. Wow looks great now.

Big thx to this thread. My Panny G25 set to auto and my PS4 to Full is glorious!

Glad this thread is helping.

Also, since I've posted this thread, the ps4s "auto" chose the wrong RGB setting each and everytime I hooked it up to a new Tv. Does it even work? Can anyone post here and say the ps4s auto setting actually correctly determines your tvs color space?

Glad this thread is helping.

Also, since I've posted this thread, the ps4s "auto" chose the wrong RGB setting each and everytime I hooked it up to a new Tv. Does it even work? Can anyone post here and say the ps4s auto setting actually correctly determines your tvs color space?

I wouldn't even bother trying to determine if the Auto setting on PS4 is working, i wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. just set it to Full and move on

Nydus

well it seems to workjust fine with my w802 from sony. i tried the fixes but discovered that both on auto is indeed working.

julrik

well it seems to workjust fine with my w802 from sony. i tried the fixes but discovered that both on auto is indeed working.
If you have both on 'auto', how do you even know if you're on 'full' or 'limited'? The 'auto' on the PS4 may just as well output 'limited', which your TV then matches?

julrik

Test image?
A test image would look basically the same on both 'limited' and 'full', though, wouldn't it? The test image is only to determine if either your TV or console is on 'full', while the other is not, or am I wrong? Is there a special test image which would only be visible with 'full'?

I use Lagom.nl to adjust my black level, and it's basically the same on both 'limited' and 'full'. All squares are visible on both.

Shy

fogive me if i sound dumb. but the full RGB on the PS4 when watching blu-rays doesn't work, right. ?

A test image would look basically the same on both 'limited' and 'full', though, wouldn't it? The test image is only to determine if either your TV or console is on 'full', while the other is not, or am I wrong? Is there a special test image which would only be visible with 'full'?

I use Lagom.nl to adjust my black level, and it's basically the same on both 'limited' and 'full'. All squares are visible on both.

This is what I use

http://i.picpar.com/j1nb.png

Anything under 16 and over 235 would be crushed if set to Limited. Full will have detail between 0-16 and 235-255.

Go through your tv settings. And see if there is anything that mentions black level or color range. Set it to the higher setting, than put your ps4 on full. If there is absolutely no setting like this on your tv, set your ps4 to auto.

My tv has a "black detail" setting. I can change it to off, low, medium and high. Is that the same thing as black level?

julrik

My tv has a "black detail" setting. I can change it to off, low, medium and high. Is that the same thing as black level?
No, that's not it. Should be only two choices. It may not be under 'picture settings' on your TV, but maybe 'TV settings' (or similar). At least that was the case with my previous Samsung.

No, that's not it. Should be only two choices. It may not be under 'picture settings' on your TV, but maybe 'TV settings' (or similar). At least that was the case with my previous Samsung.

Hmm..ok. I don't see any setting like that for my tv. I have a Vizio M422i-B1.

julrik

This is what I use

http://i.picpar.com/j1nb.png

Anything under 16 and over 235 would be crushed if set to Limited. Full will have detail between 0-16 and 235-255.
So, I just tried with this image, and the blacks are NOT crushed with the PS4 set to Limited. I can't see a difference between Limited and Full tbh, with the TV set to Auto. What's up with that?

Pioneer Kuro LX5090 btw.

Audioboxer

Thanks to this thread I set RGB to full and now everything looks so ... colorful

I'm quite shocked lol

Be sure your TV supports full. As others will have said before, the perceived contrast boost isn't worth crushing blacks and losing detail if your TV doesn't support full. You'll find it near impossible to play some games during night gameplay or dark gameplay.

Essentially what happens is instead of utilising a correct greyscale many shades of near black are made full black. This is what can make an image appear to pop more but in fact the colours on screen are suppose to be lighter shades of black.

Ricky_R

I have a 55 inch Vizio and no matter what option I select on the PS4, the colors remain the same.

I like the way the games look, so I'm not too worried, but it would be cool to know if I can get it to look better.

Anybody here with Vizio experience in this kind of stuff?

Audioboxer

Samsung TV, game mode yes or no?

You'll lose a little in the picture quality but it'll have a faster response rate. Personally I don't notice a difference in that category so I just run my Panasonic plasma in THX cinema mode 24/7. I'd rather better PQ than a slightly faster response rate. I don't play too much MP though I guess.

So, I just tried with this image, and the blacks are NOT crushed with the PS4 set to Limited. I can't see a difference between Limited and Full tbh, with the TV set to Auto. What's up with that?

Pioneer Kuro LX5090 btw.

Weird. Brightness too high maybe?

What happens when you have the TV set to Limited?

Violater

Ok just tried limited, full and automatic on ps4.
Automatic was the only one that did not result in crushed blacks.
Game mode on the Samsung resulted in lighter interiors but overall the image quality and colors took a hit.

Ok just tried limited, full and automatic on ps4.
Automatic was the only one that did not result in crushed blacks.
Game mode on the Samsung resulted in lighter interiors but overall the image quality and colors took a hit.

Don't you have to force 'Full' on the TV itself?

I've got a Sony W705 and even with the PS4 connected (the TV knows it's a PS4 rather than just a console/HDMI device) you have to go into the TVs options and force Full on for each HDMI port.

Violater

I've got a Sony W705 and even with the PS4 connected (the TV knows it's a PS4 rather than just a console/HDMI device) you have to go into the TVs options and force Full on for each HDMI port.

Ok I need to figure out how to do that.

I have a Sony 705 but can't find the option to change it to full. Where about is it?

Edit. It's ok, found it. So I should set it to full and ps4 to full?

Ok I need to figure out how to do that.

For my Samsung, It's Picture > Picture Options > HDMI Black Level > Normal (Low would be Limited).

Then, once I set the PS4 to Full.. It seemed like I was getting crushed Blacks, even in Game Mode. Then I had to turn off the extra stuff I pointed out before like Dynamic Contrast and Black Tone. I also have Color Space set to Native.

However, newer Samsungs also have the ability to change the output on the HDMI port itself by hitting Source > Edit Name. Changing it to PC can change the image quality as well.

My Samsung TV's black level was low, and PS4 was limited so my PS4's settings have always been OK....

but my PS3 was set to full! So most of my last gen games have been black crushed. Shit.

You have to go into the Home screen rather than options for some reason:

Home > Settings (top right) > Display > Video Input Settings.

Yep.

Have it on full, but honestly can't tell the difference. Hmm. Maybe I need to compare them by taking a screenshot of each to notice the difference.

Have it on full, but honestly can't tell the difference. Hmm.

I'm not sure what would be a quick and easy option to test with. On the XB1 you can remain in game and swap around the colour range without rebooting so the difference is immediately apparent in game.

Best bet is to check the shadows in a game. On FH2, for exmaple, if it's crushing under the car is solid black and an awful fade between the shadow cast by the car. When it's set up correctly the crush is gone and the blend looks a lot better/more depth and detail.

On xbox one I believe you do limited ans TV to see all the black levels in rhe built in calibration.

such a pain

Nah it works on full. They've even added a tooltip in now (as well as renaming full to 'PC RGB') explaining what it does.

Syrus

Banned
On xbox one I believe you do limited ans TV to see all the black levels in rhe built in calibration.

such a pain

Top Bottom