• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's Automatic RGB setting is unreliable, so double check your TV / PS4

Vashetti

Banned
Local dimming is under energy saver I believe, and it's already off, unless expert mode is the only official way to guarantee it being off. I have under gamer mode but by switching it to laptop/notebook mode it seems to have gotten rid of the global dimming. Putting my calibration blu-ray back in to see if that did the trick.

My LG TV:

Settings > Picture

Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: isf Expert1

*bottom of the page* LED Local Dimming: Off

bradman

Neo Member
Limited is always the correct choice, in every set-up. Full will always crush blacks, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on set-up.

My LG TV:

Settings > Picture

Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: isf Expert1

*bottom of the page* LED Local Dimming: Off

Any particular reason you're using the expert mode over the gamer mode?

Advantages?

I might have to switch to it for blu-ray films later on. But the PS4 at full blacks stopped doing the dimming.

SeanTSC

Limited is always the correct choice, in every set-up. Full will always crush blacks, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on set-up.

This is not always true. Full Range 0-255 works perfect for all of my devices with my Panasonic Plasma ST60 (except the Wii U which is only Limited). There's no crush at all with it when the settings are properly matched. Many displays handle Full Range correctly.

I use Full for everything possible since I use my ST60 as a Second Monitor for my PC via HDMI. I frequently switch between using it between my PC and consoles and it's easier to not have to switch back and forth when I change devices and Automatic settings are hit and miss. My PS3, PS4, PSTV, and PC all work perfectly at Full Range 0-255 with my ST60 also set to it.

Hopefully the Nintendo NX will also have a Full Range option so I don't have to switch back and forth when I use it like I do with my Wii U. Though my Wii U rarely gets any use anyways so it's not a huge deal.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
set the PS4 to fullRGB and test out the different BlackLevel settings on your TV. use that image I posted above. if you can see all the shades of black 0-255 then you have a TV that is FullRGB capable.

all TV manufacturers have different terms for describing the black levels. so on some sets Normal is FullRGB and on other sets High is Full RGB.

OK, great. Thanks a bunch!

This is not always true. Full Range 0-255 works perfect for all of my devices with my Panasonic Plasma ST60 (except the Wii U which is only Limited). There's no crush at all with it when the settings are properly matched. Many displays handle Full Range correctly.

I use Full for everything possible since I use my ST60 as a Second Monitor for my PC via HDMI. I frequently switch between using it between my PC and consoles and it's easier to not have to switch back and forth when I change devices and Automatic settings are hit and miss. My PS3, PS4, PSTV, and PC all work perfectly at Full Range 0-255 with my ST60 also set to it.

Hopefully the Nintendo NX will also have a Full Range option so I don't have to switch back and forth when I use it like I do with my Wii U. Though my Wii U rarely gets any use anyways so it's not a huge deal.

Yeah. Ultimately what's important is that the TV and Ps4 are set to the same setting.

Its still safe to assume that televisions default to limited out of the box right?

Apparently my blu-rays films don't work with full black range. PS4 games do though. So I just copied settings from one to the other but my PS4 has full blacks.

I just played with my settings till full RGB looked right. Its just the better option.

Xbox One thought I cannot adjust the Tv to look good, so that is set to limited.

What if your TV is also set to automatic?

The point of this thread is basically don't trust the auto setting. When you have the know how to set it up manually...set it up manually then. The ps4s color gamut is fine. Its only the automatic setting that's faulty on ps4 so set it up manually I say.

I think the XB1 still has a problem with crushing blacks wen trying to use FullRGB. unlike the sharpening filter that was fixed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722069

The ps4s color gamut is fine. The problem is that It's automatic setting is unreliable, And thus needs to be set manually.

The Xbox one color gamut on the other hand is just fucked. I guess for you dual console owners, see if you can set picture settings exclusive to each hdmi input. My tv has an apply to all source options, and in that case I would set that to off, and calibrate each source individually.

If you can't do that, then it's best to set everything to limited. Tv, PS4 and Xbox one, just set it all to limited. Even then, the Xbox version will look washed out, but washed out is better than crushed blacks IMO.

Understand that on the settings menu Xbox one limited RGB refers to " TV"setting. While full RGB refers to "PC" setting. Why Microsoft labeled it like that, Fuck if I know.

SeanTSC

The point of this thread is basically don't trust the auto setting. When you have the know how to set it up manually...set it up manually then. The ps4s color gamut is fine. Its only the automatic setting that's faulty on ps4 so set it up manually I say.

Yeah, the auto-setting is really hit or miss. It can work perfectly fine with some TVs and not others. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with EDID signals and it is especially flakey with Receivers.

Manual is the way to go. The only situation that I'd use Automatic settings in is if I had multiple devices that *had* to be set differently and the Automatic setting 100% worked. Otherwise, just set everything one way or the other.

I'm actually in that situation, but the Auto setting doesn't work for me due to my Receiver.

There is no harm if your display supports full RGB. Otherwise, yes, picture quality will degrade if it isn't supported.

I just picked up a XB1 yesterday and not really sure what to do because I run everything through my AV Receiver. i really don't want to fuck with my TV setting every time I boot up my XB1

I can't believe MS hasn't fixed this, or even addressed it yet. I'm starting to believe that it's still here because of "pop"

Vashetti

Banned
Any particular reason you're using the expert mode over the gamer mode?

Advantages?

I might have to switch to it for blu-ray films later on. But the PS4 at full blacks stopped doing the dimming.

Expert Mode lets you access more settings, so if you're calibrating your TV/monitor, that's what you want, because you can be more accurate.

You can use Expert Mode, and still rename the input to PC in the input selection screen. Use that to turn Local Dimming off, and all the other processing rubbish off.

eso76

Not if you have a good plasma, man.
Then fullRGB is the only correct answer.

Blacks are only crushed on worse TV sets or when range of console and TV don't match.

FullRGB TV - Limited RGB console = Washed out image.
Limited RGB TV - FullRGB console = Crushed blacks.

Both limited is OK
Both full is best.

Expert Mode lets you access more settings, so if you're calibrating your TV/monitor, that's what you want, because you can be more accurate.

You can use Expert Mode, and still rename the input to PC in the input selection screen. Use that to turn Local Dimming off, and all the other processing rubbish off.

Will give it a try with the WOW blu-ray later. PS4 is running at full black without issues in gamer mode, I'll put expert mode for films.

Does anyone have any recommended settings for a BenQ XL2420TE monitor?

I'm always feeling like things are a little washed out on it.

alKfRqY.png

Adjust for full range

epmode

I can't find any options in my TV settings that correspond to color ranges or dynamic range or anything. It's an older Bravia, a KDL-40XBR2.

I assume I should be picking Limited but I'd like to know if anyone can confirm it.

owlbeak

Just to clarify, first time seeing this thread, if my TV has settings for Red Green and Blue that go from 0-255, it's a full range RGB TV? I have older Vizio 42", model GV42LF

Yup the automatic setting has been like this forever.

Here's a easy way to check if your TV supports full and if your setting on the PS4 is correct.

View the below image in the PS4 browser. If your TV supports RGB full you'll be able to see the upper left most square very faintly. If it doesn't support it or if your settings are wrong, you likely won't see most of the top row. Toggle the RGB setting from limited and full and you'll see the difference in the image. If your TV doesn't support Full RGB, you just won't be able to see the top row of squares because the blacks used are blacker than the range RGB Limited can support.

fullrgb_test.jpg
I have a Samsung H7000 series LED and the only way I can see the top row is if I set the PS4 to full and the TV to Black Level: Low. That doesn't sound right, does it? But if the point is to see all the squares, that's the combo that works.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
set the PS4 to fullRGB and test out the different BlackLevel settings on your TV. use that image I posted above. if you can see all the shades of black 0-255 then you have a TV that is FullRGB capable.

all TV manufacturers have different terms for describing the black levels. so on some sets Normal is FullRGB and on other sets High is Full RGB.
soooo, i set my monitor to HDMI Normal and PS4 RGB to Full, and from your image I can see all but 1 and 17.

I should be good right?

Can confirm ...

And it resets too ... Dunno whether this is because of the initial HDMI Handshake between my AV Receiver and screen, but it's always set to Automatic.

I sometimes run through a projector, and changing to FULL adds tons of depth to both color and blacks.

Tis a noticable chage.. improves Netflix PQ somewhat too

I have a Samsung H7000 series LED and the only way I can see the top row is if I set the PS4 to full and the TV to Black Level: Low. That doesn't sound right, does it? But if the point is to see all the squares, that's the combo that works.
If you set ps4 to full and black levels to low you are basically Washing out the image, which means black are turning into grey and the whole screen just looks like someone put a milk lense over it.

Full with black levels high is the way to go and if messing with brightness doesn't ever give you an option to see the blacks then your TV wasn't made for it fully or has bad black levels. So just leave it at limited rgb with low black levels as that's the next best thing.

as a note to people trying to see if this works.

you should immediately notice that the blacks get deeper, on my set the deepest black is almost as black as if the TV wasn't on. it's a big contrast VS the limited setting when watching the PS4 splash screen (cold boot)

Not if you have a good plasma, man.
Then fullRGB is the only correct answer.

Blacks are only crushed on worse TV sets or when range of console and TV don't match.

FullRGB TV - Limited RGB console = Washed out image.
Limited RGB TV - FullRGB console = Crushed blacks.

Both limited is OK
Both full is best.

I have a Kuro Elite and found out that using full for games is okay, but with my calibration settings it really didn't add any extra benefit in terms of black levels or contrast; if anything it messes with the limited range of blu-ray movies, so I just left it at Limited. I did the same to my Panasonic ZT60.

If you set ps4 to full and black levels to low you are basically Washing out the image, which means black are turning into grey and the whole screen just looks like someone put a milk lense over it.

Full with black levels high is the way to go and if messing with brightness doesn't ever give you an option to see the blacks then your TV wasn't made for it fully or has bad black levels. So just leave it at limited rgb with low black levels as that's the next best thing.
This worked! Set them both to full and adjusted the brightness. Thanks!!

Thanks for this thread OP. I gotta say, I did this because why not, and then I was really surprised of how much of a difference it made.

foxdvd

So some help needed. I recently bought a vizio M series 4k tv. I have both my xbox one and ps4 calibrated and running to the tv on HDMI 4 and 5. I am happy with the picture.

My friend bought the same tv, and has both his xbox one and ps4 hooked up the same way. What he is finding is his blacks are crushed on his ps4. He has swapped cables. Messed with his rgb settings on the tv and ps4 and nothing works. When he switches his RGB range on the xbox one he can see the image crush and then go back to good when he switches back. No matter what he does his blacks are crushed on his ps4. It is driving us nuts because we are using the same tv and systems, and settings. He has also switched HDMI cables and nothing works.

I can't find any options in my TV settings that correspond to color ranges or dynamic range or anything. It's an older Bravia, a KDL-40XBR2.

I assume I should be picking Limited but I'd like to know if anyone can confirm it.

Most older tvs default to limited, especially if you didnt make any changes to it. So set the ps4 to limited.

etta

my hard graphic balls
For Samsung TVs you have to do it the opposite, right?
The TV's settings are Normal and Low, where Low darkens the blacks more than Normal.
PS4's Full darkens the blacks more than Limited, so you don't want to combine settings that both go in the same direction, you want them to go in opposite directions.
So Low on TV and Limited on PS4, or Normal on TV and Full on PS4, right?

Top Bottom