• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

winjer

Gold Member

rnlval

So what?
It doesn't change the fact that AMD is doing ray testing in the Texture Units, for RNDA 2 and 3.
Here is their patent for RT using the TMUs.

WLk7b9d.jpg

The same for PS5.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
WLk7b9d.jpg

The same for PS5.

Yes, they all have Ray Accelerators done in the TMUs.
The question is what is going to happen with the PS5 Pro. If it will use the RT system of RNDA3, or if it will use some features from RDNA4 and have dedicated units for RT.

I firmly believe Pro is coming (in fact I sold my PS5 last year in the hopes of picking up a Pro later this year); but can you imagine us making it to November and not hearing a thing...the time just comes and goes.

While I would say there is a nonzero chance it gets cancelled... it's not very high.

Geruda065

You guys need to chill with the price. They will never make expensive console again. They just ditched oled tvs for this year to go for cheaper option.

demigod

From https://i0.wp.com/chipsandcheese.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/rdna2.drawio-1.png?ssl=1

This is from clam chowder

4YugkzA.png

Notice both clam chowder's Ampere and RDNA 2 have "TMU / RT" box.

AMD shows the Ray-Accelerator inside the TMU.

And here is AMD's patent for using RT in the Texture Units:

Fellas, take this to the Beyond3D forums.

When actual specs get leaked if no one else does I am making a new thread because I rarely look in here for a meaningful bump
GIVE US LEAKS NAO!!!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Well if Microsoft isn't releasing a Pro varient this year maybe Sony says let's pause. We already have the upper hand and consumer confidence. Why push out something we dont have to yet. Maybe they refine it a little more with another year wait and launch when the newer xbox is to release. Would be a smart move on Sony's side unless they already have mass produced units.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Well if Microsoft isn't releasing a Pro varient this year maybe Sony says let's pause. We already have the upper hand and consumer confidence. Why push out something we dont have to yet. Maybe they refine it a little more with another year wait and launch when the newer xbox is to release. Would be a smart move on Sony's side unless they already have mass produced units.
Contracts and purchase of materials would have already have happen

jzosa

Is the pro really coming? I am holding off on buying a second PS5 to see if this is really arriving later this year. Need those leaks!!!

Jesb

Is the pro really coming? I am holding off on buying a second PS5 to see if this is really arriving later this year. Need those leaks!!!
I’m debating on if I should hold off on buying my first PS5 or wait on this thing. But I kind of would like something now since I just got a new tv.

PeteBull

Sony competes vs pc market too, especially in europe that is sony stronghold, they want to give their consumer base a highend option, by holiday 2024 base ps5 is at best midrange pc equivalent in terms of cpu/gpu, and remember 4 more years left till ps6, in 2025 base ps5 will be only low end pc equivalent, performance wise.

So imagine perfectly plausible scenario- gamers wanna play sony exclusives, but in 2025 they notice how fricken weak base ps5 is, so they say- fk it, i will get into pc for 2-3x more performance(u could get 2x with 3090/3080ti already, which now is 600$ 4070super, hell 500$ 7800xt has 60-70% more performance too and better rt vs base ps5, those arent topend gpus but midrange and very affordable ones).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I imagine we wont actually get any real hard facts about specs until summer. I just hope it's a big enough jump to make me want to buy it. I like to buy the new thing.

SolidQ

That is hint for 8700XT (64CU) So we can see info about RDNA4 RT. Based on some info seems 2 or 4 position
5f8b6d1dceed938e83bed316c8bd8f46.png

Last edited:
What do you guys think? Strong, job terminating NDAs or what that has kept us from hearing of anything?

There might not be much to leak. The only thing might be the GPU clock speed, and since it's variable that doesn't tell you much. The other thing would be the price and developers aren't going to know that.

Who's fact? Clam Chowder?

Using RT cores in Blender 3D is an extreme RT use case example and it doesn't budget for real-time RT considerations.
I actually just started learning blender do you know how to use/add ray tracing to your projects on it? I wanted to add rt shadows and lighting to a shadow model

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I mean if the year difference guarantees a cpu upgrade and full rdna 4 I think they should do it
The problem with them making the Pro a huge upgrade is that it will lessen the jump when they release the PS6, personally I'd rather them focus on getting it out sooner with a good perf increase but not so much it makes next gen look disappointing.

Top Bottom