• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 "PRO" speculated price? What are you willing to pay?

SHA

I wanna pay for a 1080p@120fps or 1440p@60fps, if these companies walk the other way then they don't know what they're doing, I mean it's a simple concept and pretty effective, the 30fps world is consuming the hardware and we haven't seen a game that made it meaningful on gameplay yet, I promise this way will surely sell consoles like hot cakes.

Last edited:

hinch7

Don't play mine enough so going to stick with my current (fat) one.

Going to upgrade my PC instead. Either at the end of this year with a new GPU, or the next.

Last edited:

Embearded

600€ max and even that depends on the games supporting the hardware day 1 and what the hardware can really achieve.

Little Mac

I've already talked myself into spending $599 for it. More than that and Sony will really have to blow me away at the reveal. Hoping for a big boost to Helldivers 2 performance on day 1.

Melfice7

0, fuck pro consoles, all they do is give developers an easier way to brute force their unoptimized pieces of crap games

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I dont think the drive will cost $100 more when the current Slim is only a $50 difference. I know they did that with the original PS5 but thats because they just soaked up the loss of more money on the Digital version. I would think with the Pro they wont be losing any money on it

My guess $600 digital, $650 with bundled drive (hopefully less, but like I said, I dont think they'll lose any money on it)

The current slim costs $50 more because they increased it $50 from the original slim. If it's the same routine than the digital will be closer to the physical's price, not the other way around.

Euler007

If I could pay whatever it costs to play the exclusives on day 1 at 120fps, I would. 3-4 grand wouldn't even register.

Audiophile

drive off 50 cent GIF
x1200

StereoVsn

I must be in the minority but I'd be willing to pay 700-800€ or even more for a real beefy pro machine.
For some reason, consoles are the only piece of tech where you can't have a powerful beast and no, I don't want to buy a PC.
You are getting a decent machine with a fairly weak CPU by modern standards unfortunately.

Basically most folks who are willing to pay that sort of cash just get a PC.

Although I can see MS for next gen making a deal with ASUS/MSI and allowing beefier hardware for more $$$.

SmokSmog

It will be 499$ or at worst 549$, it's just swapped APU and slightly faster GDDR6 chips + maybe bigger SSD. Rest internals will be 1:1 with this slimed down PS5 version that launched last year.
Standard PS5 will drop to 399$, maybe we will get the real slim version on N4P.

Last edited:

midnightAI

The current slim costs $50 more because they increased it $50 from the original slim. If it's the same routine than the digital will be closer to the physical's price, not the other way around.
Thats what I'm saying though, the original Digital was sold at more of a loss than the regular PS5, the current slim is just bringing it more in line with the regular PS5 pricing (I believe that the regular PS5 and slim models are no longer sold at a loss to Sony and is making them money).
That drive + bits of plastic will cost Sony peanuts, there is no reason to have a $100 dollar difference as there is no need to take a loss on the hardware like before (and in retrospect this just proves that people would rather have the disc version even at the higher cost so Sony didnt need to take the bigger loss with the digital version, but this add on drive is the best of both worlds because you could always buy the drive later if you wanted the cheaper option, I think the digital version was just an answer to the Series S)

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I'll pay right around cost and that's it. It will come out how much it costs to build it.

They will make money from games and services sales.

KiteGr

I won't be renewing my Plus membership due to the price increase.
Might as well downplay the Console games and not get a Pro model.
I'll save my money for upgrading my PC's hardware and library.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
You are getting a decent machine with a fairly weak CPU by modern standards unfortunately.

Basically most folks who are willing to pay that sort of cash just get a PC.

Although I can see MS for next gen making a deal with ASUS/MSI and allowing beefier hardware for more $$$.
And I hope they do And that it is somewhat successful .. so we can break this barrier in the console space... is ridiculous riding this 400 dollar wave this long with people spending thousands on cellphones that each do the exactly same thing every year...ajusting for inflation gaming is cheap as fuck and stuck in peasant land for too long

Last edited:

FR1908

A - If it increases the framerate in GTA VI to 60 fps and keeps the resolution at the same level (very unlikely): €700,-

B - If it combines performance and quality mode in all games: €600

C - If it boosts the VR experience: €550

D - If it plays PS3 games optimized: €525

E - If A, B, C and D aren't the case, I'll stick with the OG

Last edited:

StereoVsn

And I hope they do And that it is somewhat successful .. so we can break this barrier in the console space... is ridiculous riding this 400 dollar wave this long with people spending thousands on cellphones that each do the exactly same thing every year...ajusting for inflation gaming is cheap as fuck and stuck in peasant land for too long
Interestingly enough people are generally keeping their cell phones longer, with average of over 3-4 years I believe.

StereoVsn

I
A - If it increases the framerate in GTA VI to 60 fps and keeps the resolution at the same level (very unlikely): €700,-

B - If it combines performance and quality mode in all games: €600

C - If it boosts the VR experience: €550

D - If it plays PS3 games optimized: €525

E - If A, B, C and D aren't the case, I'll stick with the OG
You may get some B&C but due to weak CPU you aren’t getting much more for frame rate vs vanilla.

saintjules

Might be $649 w/ detachable disc. $599 without. If they go this route.

Anyway I'd go go to $700. After that I'd have to look at QOL improvements of in-game comparisons before I take the plunge.

BlackTron

Lately I've been thinking I may never even need another Sony or MS console again beyond PS4 Pro and Series S. I have a PC for high-test graphics. The consoles still give me access to the ecosystem, UI, apps and 95% of games that don't require added PC power. For many of the ones that do, they're actually on PC like Ratchet & Clank lol.

Maybe I will get one when you can get PS5 Pro for the current going rate of PS4 Pro lol. To put it bluntly, that's how I'll play Demon's Souls. With all the other PC ports, there isn't enough exclusivity left for the whole system to be worth it to me. It'll have to be severely devalued, maybe when PS6 is around.

Katajx

Gold Member
I’m just waiting on the reveal. I think people need to get their expectations in check though. I don’t think there is going to be any/much difference for us on the consumer side whether it costs us $499 or $599.

FR1908

I

You may get some B&C but due to weak CPU you aren’t getting much more for frame rate vs vanilla.
I hope 'Sony have learned' from the disappointing upgrade that the PS4Pro was. Especially compared to the One X a year later.
I bought the pro for a sharper Rez Infinite PSVR experience, but for everything else the differences were barely noticeable.

Sleepwalker

If it gives me 4k60 or at least 1440/60 in the majority of games I will be willing to pay. If it's just 4k30 with RT stuff I will pass. My PC is more powerful than the PS5 pro will be anyway.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I must be in the minority but I'd be willing to pay 700-800€ or even more for a real beefy pro machine.
For some reason, consoles are the only piece of tech where you can't have a powerful beast and no, I don't want to buy a PC.
The bottom line is Most game releases do not either take advantage of all the power of the PS5 or optimize their games. Why spend more on a much more powerful machine? You think you can just play current games at better resolution or better Frame-rates, WRONG! Each game will have to have a patch and you bet your ass that some publishers are going to charge an upgrade fee. Oh you like the 10th release of GTA 5 currently on the PS5? Guess what? Pretty soon you will have the "pro" or "enhanced" version for a mere upgrade price of $10-$20. Some publishers are going to go balls deep and ask for $40 or more for the new and "improved" version. Maybe I am getting Cynical and still stick to the Quote under my tag (especially how anti consumer Sony has become) in expecting the worst in things. I guess call it life experience. To be 100% honest I would sell my PS5 and not look back if it weren't for GTA 6 and hoping for another God of War sequel. Sony and MIcrosoft have turned me off in games with all the nickle and diming bullshit. I have been playing my switch more and more because it brings me back to a much simpler, happier time in gaming. Corporations have taken over /end of old man shaking a stick rant

I guess I just don't see the point.

Last edited:

Certinty

£499 at most considering I’m only really interested in it to play GTA VI in the best possible way at launch.

Top Bottom