• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 sales has surpassed the Xbox One

It just hit me the PS5 may outsell the first Xbox, Xbox One and Series together, lmao.
PS5 is not even at half of its lifespan.

The Pro coming out, price decreases (even if it is just one), GTA VI, PS already revealed this is the quiet year as they expect their 1st party studios to make a lot more revenue on the next 2 fiscal years as well.

XXL

It just hit me the PS5 may outsell the first Xbox, Xbox One and Series together, lmao.
This is 100% in reach, which is crazy.

Even just outselling the Xbox One and Xbox Series X and S would be incredible. Especially considering the the Series S is basically half the price and they were pretty much giving out games for free.

GHG

Gold Member
GHG's reciepts are lethal. Got me banned once

Mean Nicole Power GIF by Kim's Convenience

The Pro coming out, price decreases (even if it is just one), GTA VI, PS already revealed this is the quiet year as they expect their 1st party studios to make a lot more revenue on the next 2 fiscal years as well.

I don't think it does but even getting close is crazy.

skyfinch

Consider Xbox One is one Microsoft's greatest achievements, just slightly below Windows Phone, Zune and Windows CE operating system for the Dreamcast, I think Sony has a monster product in ther hands. Once they bundle Sea of Thieves and Foamstars this holiday, Microsoft should just pack it up and start supporting Google Stadia.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Consider Xbox One is one Microsoft's greatest achievements, just slightly below Windows Phone, Zune and Windows CE operating system for the Dreamcast, I think Sony has a monster product in ther hands. Once they bundle Sea of Thieves and Foamstars this holiday, Microsoft should just pack it up and start supporting Google Stadia.

er .. Xbox 360 sold nearly 80 million units.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
As I said you never know with Xbox leadership, they might do crazy discounts just before announcing next gen. That would push sales, and if 1/3 of the already announced games hit the spot (being good) this might push hardware sales more just before next gen announcements. Again, this is all my thoughts.

On a separate note, isn’t gamepass userbase bigger now than xbs console sales? Also, it will be fun guessing what will be the name of the next Xbox console :)
There is still Xbox One users that did not get a Series console, like Sony still have millions of PS4 users that have yet to upgrade. Xbox next name will be very important because if the rumors of a early next gen are true they will have to choose between have a link with the Series name( like a Series z or ultimate) or abandon it, risking to harm their messaging, having customers dropping the Series consoles hard.

I am not sure about the discounts. We know that they are loosing money since day one. Going even lower for then having a very expensive next gen console will be really weird to see.

DavJay

Honestly I always thought the One sold about 20+ million. The early day of that console were dark days.

nosoynadie22

Gold Member
Microsoft's senior vice president of Interactive Entertainment Business Yusuf Mehdi has stated that given the broad multimedia focus of Xbox One, there's no reason why it can't shift between 400 million and 1 billion consoles in its lifetime. He said the company is also angling for 100 million Xbox 360 console sales in the next five years.
"We think you can go broader than a game console, that's our aim, and you can go from 400 million to potentially upwards of a billion units. That's how we're thinking of the Xbox opportunity as we go forward."

jzosa

Ok, why does this need a thread? We have all seen the numerous other threads stating that PS5 is selling well. And why compare to what people called a "failed console". What's the point to this thread?
I mean it shows even more how much of a "failed console the other one is when it's been beaten by another that just passed the halfway point of its lifecycle. The point of this thread is to inform some people that the PS5 has surpassed Xbox One sales, as the title itself states.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think Sony makes the boxes stand out on purpose. Advertising in a living room. Everytime there’s a PS5, theres always a convo like “oh you have a PS5?” atleast where Ive been

This makes a lot of sense actually. While it might be polarizing and keep a small few from buying it, its definately easy to spot vs an xbox.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I mean it shows even more how much of a "failed console the other one is when it's been beaten by another that just passed the halfway point of its lifecycle. The point of this thread is to inform some people that the PS5 has surpassed Xbox One sales, as the title itself states.

I think you missed my point. Why is the benchmark a supposedly failed console? Why was that picked vs PS4 sales or Xbox Series sales? Why would it matter how it sold vs Xbox One? (current relevance?)

Audiophile

Crazy thing is, PS5 is tracking just shy of PS4 at a considerably higher price and with a more lacklustre lineup..

Shave 50-100 off the slim, launch the Pro, then go into a year with GTAVI, Death Stranding 2 and possibly Ghost Of Tsushima 2 and things should pick up even more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom