• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren “Sony’s PS5 sales down 29% yoy in the recent Q” (forecast FY24 to be lower than FY23)

Varteras

Gold Member
tenor.gif

A rat in a new suit looking for scraps.

Could you share the PS5 equivalent? PS5 has beaten year 3 by exactly 3 million units but is forecasting a 1.4 million drop for next year, if they then see a drop for year 5...Bad times.

I think it's time to face the reality that years of arguing warring fanboys have held onto the thought that a lost sale for Xbox is a sale gained for Playstation or visa versa. The reality is far from it.

t4e27l9.png

vKYfiCx.jpeg

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
How exactly will the Pro boost the platform? The vast majority of people who will buy it will be upgrading from a base PS5. Are people expecting most of them to sell their old systems on ebay cheaply and for this to add people who actually buy games? The Pro could backfire and make the people who would still buy a PS5 hesitant to buy a base model.

I see this as not good for Sony. They are not going to do better than PS4 in a market where their main competition did worse than last gen. So they held on to more of the shrinking market than their competitor instead of growing. I hope a lot of this is due to older gamers moving to PC, but I have not seen numbers to indicate that. Older gamers could just as easily be dropping gaming.

The figures look healthy to me, when considering where we are in terms of product life. If they hit this years target of 18m, then YOY, sales will have only decreased by 13.5%, following a very healthy previous year. Interesting Christmas quarter to come, with the Pro due for release.

Warren's just flying his true colours today.
The 18m forecast makes me think the new Call of Duty will leave last gen behind. Sure, Microsoft has marketing, but way more PS5's will be sold regardless if true. Plus, Assassin's Creed Shadows drops in November. Those will be the two biggest game releases of this generation. Q4 should be huge

Also, I bet GTA 6 will lead to the biggest sales quarter ever for Playstation hardware next year. 10+million is absolutely possible. As insane as the launch of GTA 5 was, it was at the very end of the generation, and the franchise has grown exponentially since then, especially online

Last edited:

You know, one of the things I really love about the PS5 sales is it's a creative art form, and it means that the situation and what successes for each console in the year is also really unique. There's no one-size-fits-all to it for us. And so we look at each unit and each year, and we look at a whole variety of factors when we're faced with making decisions and trade tradeoffs like that. But it all comes back to our long-term commitment to the units we sell, the PS5s we build, the PSN logins, and ensuring that we're setting ourselves up to be able to deliver on those promises."

I have a PS5. It has plenty of games.
Me too. But casuals buy it for a next gen only blockbusters like gow, next gen only uncharted and they expect it every year like clockwork. Last year was only Spiderman 2 was not good enough. Also, fortnite can be played on the 4.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Maybe, you haven't quite understood what I am saying here. I am saying Xbox flatlining, and these users are not going to Playstation. The market is shrinking drastically. If Sony see's further declines over the next few years its going to be bad for the games industry. They need to deliver some serious system selling games to push sales. Channels are stuffed with stock, shipments are slowing. Games cost magnitudes more to develop than they did on PS4, they can't just match PS4 sales in both software and hardware. Let's see what the future brings but the industry is far from "Fine"
Far from fine for Xbox. That’s seems to be your struggle here. The industry isn’t in this imaginary turmoil you’re claiming it’s in and you simply used Tom’s reductive nonsense to peddle it. Reminds me of articles from the 00’s: “console's are dying”. No.

Ultimately, PlayStation is in great shape. Nintendo is in great shape. Because Xbox flounders like a dying fish has no bearing on those two as they were here before Xbox and will remain when it’s gone.

Last edited:
Maybe, you haven't quite understood what I am saying here. I am saying Xbox flatlining, and these users are not going to Playstation. The market is shrinking drastically. If Sony see's further declines over the next few years its going to be bad for the games industry. They need to deliver some serious system selling games to push sales. Channels are stuffed with stock, shipments are slowing. Games cost magnitudes more to develop than they did on PS4, they can't just match PS4 sales in both software and hardware. Let's see what the future brings but the industry is far from "Fine"

Your talking shit. "Shrinking drastically" even though PS5 is only 800k behind without a price cut and being literally impossible to find for 2 years straight? Come on now. Don't let your mask slip again.

Ogbert

Imagine not knowing what you're talking about but having the confidence that you do..

Console sales always slow during a generation, it's part of the standard product life cycle. That being said as far as developers are concerned, userbase are only growing. While hardware sales slow down, software sales pick up.
Userbase isn’t the same as shifting consoles.

This is about the industry, not Sony. We’re going to enter a period of consolidation and conservative predictions. It’s an economic downturn.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Me too. But casuals buy it for a next gen only blockbusters like gow, next gen only uncharted and they expect it every year like clockwork. Last year was only Spiderman 2 was not good enough. Also, fortnite can be played on the 4.

Casuals buy a console for Fortnite, EAFC, COD etc.

I don't know any casual gamer who bought a PS for God of War.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I don't think it will, and with Xbox severely down it's going to be the worst generation for consoles in a while.

Could you share the PS5 equivalent? PS5 has beaten year 3 by exactly 3 million units but is forecasting a 1.4 million drop for next year, if they then see a drop for year 5...Bad times.

I think it's time to face the reality that years of arguing warring fanboys have held onto the thought that a lost sale for Xbox is a sale gained for Playstation or visa versa. The reality is far from it.

People massively switching to pc and that was always the case tho.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
PS4/PS5 sales look close though.
PS4 promotional pricing was already at half the PS5 price at that point though. And ASRP was at least 150$ lower too.

It would stand to reason Sony could afford to drop slim pricing once pro launches but I guess they want to ride the profit trains instead.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Doesn't Tom Warren mainly cover xbox news? How come he didn't mention that xbox had only sold 0.8m so far this year? PS5 just sold more in one quarter than xbox will this entire year. Xbox fans have a new narrative to parrot. The whole industry is dying!
Exactly. When you cut a big piece of the pie, it’s easy to peddle nonsense.

4.5m > 0.8m (over 5.5x) = knocked the fuck out!

There’s only one number there that signifies life support and the industry will be fine when it expires.

Last edited:

Zathalus

PS4 promotional pricing was already at half the PS5 price at that point though. And ASRP was at least 150$ lower too.

It would stand to reason Sony could afford to drop slim pricing once pro launches but I guess they want to ride the profit trains instead.
Yes a price drop would absolutely boost sales, but I think Sony is loath to do that these days. PS5 is still selling very well and they make a profit on the hardware.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Being 25% higher in price than ps4 at this point in thevlifecycke (adjusted for inflation) probably doesn't help make casuals want to buy it.
Slim had sales at 199 during holiday periods already by this point. The only console to have comparable price hold and sales velocity has been the switch, but at a much lower msrp.

Exactly. When you cut a big piece of the pie, it’s easy to peddle nonsense.

4.5m > 0.8m (over 5.5x) = knocked the fuck out!

There’s only one number there that signifies life support and the industry will be fine when it expires.

But PS5 is 800k behind PS4 launch aligned! It's over. The console industry is dying!

It's an obvious deflection from the fact that we are seeing xbox die right before our eyes. No amount of deflection will change that reality though. Some are still having a hard time accepting it.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

PS4 price in April 2017:
$299/£249/€299/¥30000

PS5 price in April 2024:
$499/£479/€549/¥67000

Inflation can be added, but wages haven’t increased 50% let alone almost 100%

I think they are doing good.
This is a pretty great illustration of partly why consoles aren’t selling more. That’s a crazy price difference and Sony needs to do a price drop.

I wonder if we will see one when Pro releases. $399 / $599 for regular PS5 vs Pro could work.

StereoVsn

Far from fine for Xbox. That’s seems to be your struggle here. The industry isn’t in this imaginary turmoil you’re claiming it’s in and you simply used Tom’s reductive nonsense to peddle it. Reminds me of articles from the 00’s: “console's are dying”. No.

Ultimately, PlayStation is in great shape. Nintendo is in great shape. Because Xbox flounders like a dying fish has no bearing on those two as they were here before Xbox and will remain when it’s gone.
I think what he is trying to say that overall console user base has shrunk with Xbox floundering and those Xbox users didn’t necessarily go to PlayStation.

So say in last gen there would have been 30 mil console sold last year between PS4 and Xbone. This gen only 25 mil sold (numbers totally made up, just for illustration).

So that means overall 5 million user loss for the player base for 3rd parties to sell to. Now, in reality I didn’t look at the numbers (on mobile so couldn’t be bothered), and some of those users might have gone to PC and/or Switch, but I think that’s the argument that OP was trying to make.

squarealex

I wonder if we will see one when Pro releases. $399 / $599 for regular PS5 vs Pro could work.

This is the best way I think, but that's means, drive less is 299$ ? (No way)

Or PS5 Pro with Disc Drive less is indeed 599$ but with Drive is 699$ (or the drive is sold separetly to keep "599$" )

StereoVsn

Or PS5 Pro with Disc Drive less is indeed 599$ but with Drive is 699$ (or the drive is sold separetly to keep "599$" )
I think maybe $50 extra with bundled drive? I guess we will see in a few months.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I think what he is trying to say that overall console user base has shrunk with Xbox floundering and those Xbox users didn’t necessarily go to PlayStation.

So say in last gen there would have been 30 mil console sold last year between PS4 and Xbone. This gen only 25 mil sold (numbers totally made up, just for illustration).

So that means overall 5 million user loss for the player base for 3rd parties to sell to. Now, in reality I didn’t look at the numbers (on mobile so couldn’t be bothered), and some of those users might have gone to PC and/or Switch, but I think that’s the argument that OP was trying to make.
I know what he’s trying to say, but it’s still the wrong sentiment. Even if those users didn’t go to PlayStation, it does not mean the industry is in major trouble.

I get what you meant, but those two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Why not though?
Like the whole point of Pro is to maintain ARSP while widening the entry funnel on low end. They did this with slim/pro last gen too.
Also if there's one audience they aren't getting from xbox it's series S buyers so...

StereoVsn

I know what he’s trying to say, but it’s still the wrong sentiment. Even if those users didn’t go to PlayStation, it does not mean the industry is in major trouble.

I get what you meant, but those two things aren’t mutually exclusive.
Someone would need to crunch the numbers but shrinking overall console platform is going to worry 3rd parties. Hopefully Switch 2 will help.

Top Bottom