• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Your PS4 might not be backing its saves up to the cloud

Ravidrath

Oh, interesting - I was wondering why I was always getting this error.

There should probably be apps that can be flagged so they don't save to the cloud, either.

For example, Hulu Plus keeps trying to upload save data to the cloud.

Guymelef

First days PS4 automatically uploaded saves when you turn off/turn on console.
After a firmware release this doesn't work.

The solution is, when you want upload saves, PS button-> logoff user-> login user again.

sja_626

PS4 cloud save needs a lot of work.

- Seemingly unreliable when it comes to auto-uploads
- Severely limited storage, and if you can only back up SOME of your games the usefulness of the feature is impacted hugely. When Minecraft comes out next month the storage limitation will be brutally exposed.
- Auto uploads and downloads only happen on your primary console. This defeats half the purpose.

This is one area where Xbox One is way ahead and I hope PS4 catches up soon.

i actually filled that 1GB with my PS3, you got me worried now op because yesterday it said that it couldnt upload my D3 save(it could be because i played during the psn attack and something messed up the sync )

edit: i think that i didnt care because they upped my cap to 10GB BUT i may be wrong and thinking of other stuff will check out when i get home after work

LoveCake

I often get a message that there was a error in uploading to the cloud, it doesn't give a reason why though.

Figured I'd just let people know as I almost lost all my saves.

So I bought a 2TB drive for my PS4 and I'm getting ready to do the swap. I don't have a spare USB drive to back stuff up, but I'm just going to redownload everything and all my saves are on the cloud storage, so I'll copy them down on the other end. But just to be extra sure, I decide to check what's on the cloud storage before I power down, and only a handful of saves were backed up. I pushed a save to upload, and it told me I didn't have enough space left.

Looking at the sizes, of the 1GB available, NBA 2K14 was taking up 900MB. And I drilled in and there was the same "User Data" file duplicated dozens of times.

What I figure happened was that some bug in a previous firmware caused it to not recognise the existing save files, and upload it anew every time. But the worrying thing is that it doesn't alert the user to the space being filled and it being unable to add new files.

So yeah, my PS4 hasn't backed up a save for months, and gave no indication that anything went wrong, so you should check things are okay with your own.
Same exact thing happned to me a few weeks ago. In deleting the saves, I accidentally erased my nephews MyPlayer career... Whoops. But yea this is a he'll of a glitch.

btkadams

Is there any way to back up saves to a USB or are we fucked if we want to replace the HDD and have reached the 1 GB limit?

I've never been able to figure out when the PS4 uploads saves. Sometimes it happens when I'm using it, sometimes when in standby, sometimes not at all. And some games are really picky. Like my TLOU SP saves upload every time without fail, but my MP save NEVER uploads. I mean never. I don't get it.

Very frustrating, especially since you could specify a time for uploads on the PS3 and it always worked.

See

69NGrOc.jpg

Too bad you can't see your quota like in the PS3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sony needs to get rid of the 1GB limit, it's a joke. They also should open the cloud to all people instead of making it a PS+ paywall.

true. It isn't like user storage where we can store as much as we like. We can only store one save game per game. If we need more than 1GB that is either because
1 - we are buying tons of games and Sony should be more than happy to give us more space (costing them pretty much nothing)
2 - developers are using up too much space for saves (not our problem, sort your TRCs out)

Just tell us we have unlimited storage, as it is all controlled by the console anyway and would never realistically get *that* big.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No. It saves local only and after you put your console in Standby it update everything to cloud.

also a little dumb IMO, it should upload while you are in the dashboard after quitting a game - plenty of idle time to do that. Same with trophy sync - little and often.

kaiyo

true. It isn't like user storage where we can store as much as we like. We can only store one save game per game. If we need more than 1GB that is either because
1 - we are buying tons of games and Sony should be more than happy to give us more space (costing them pretty much nothing)
2 - developers are using up too much space for saves (not our problem, sort your TRCs out)

Just tell us we have unlimited storage, as it is all controlled by the console anyway and would never realistically get *that* big.

Not true, I have like 5-6 TLoU:R saves in the cloud.

Reule

also a little dumb IMO, it should upload while you are in the dashboard after quitting a game - plenty of idle time to do that. Same with trophy sync - little and often.
Well, it's also supposed to do it when you turn your system off but it doesn't always want to do that. Only going into Standby will make them automatically upload for me. Even then, I don't think my Ground Zeroes saves ever went to the cloud yet automatically.

Needs to be fixed. :|

I noticed this the other day, NBA 2k14 was taking up 720MB of my cloud save storage! it has (50?) copies of this 17MB UserData file, I don't recall getting errors that said my cloud storage was full

MUnited83

For you.
This also highlights how while on the PS3 and PS Vita the 1GB cloud space is acceptable, it's just way too low on PS4.

Afrika's save file on PS3 is like 600MB, so even on PS3 it can be quite low. And hell, Modnation Racers on the Vita can take like 200MB on it's save file.

Alucrid

Banned

1 gig isn't that big. Each save file is at least 11 mb, so that's only like 90 games if each one has a single save. Multiple games have a save and a profile attached to it (TLOU) which runs about 21 mb. Hell, Hohokum's save is 45 mb for a single file.

edit: Octodad is 74, yeesh

BadAss2961

The NBA2K thing has been there since day one. For some reason, cloud saves for 2K14 aren't overwritten, so you have to delete old files manually.

Every time I finish playing 2K14, I upload my saves to the cloud (usually 7 files for me), then delete the old 7.

My biggest problem with psn, after having one of a ps4 and xb1 each at my house and one at my sons mothers house, is the fact that only the primary ps4 console automatically backing up cloud saves whereas the xb1 it doesn't matter and is seamless between consoles. Idk why sony can't implement that.

kgeisler

Neo Member
Actually, just going through these uploads manually now, some of these sizes make the 1GB limit look nuts. 74MB for Octodad. 105MB for Trials Fusion.

Hmm, I apologize for the Octodad save size. We picked that size as a reservation/maximum since the space is blocked out on creating the save. A lot of the space is currently empty, so I will look into reducing it in a future patch. It probably would not affect existing saves, though.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Strange that all the One saves I've encountered so far are less than a MB. Why are the PlayStation saves so much bigger?

c0de

Hmm, I apologize for the Octodad save size. We picked that size as a reservation/maximum since the space is blocked out on creating the save. A lot of the space is currently empty, so I will look into reducing it in a future patch. It probably would not affect existing saves, though.

Do you use compression for saves? Out of curiosity, if you know from the start there is a lot of emptiness in the file, why not zip it?

mines constantly fails to update since a recent firmware update. I am no where close to filling cloud saves either. It would fail the automatic and about 80% of manual uploads. We NEED MORE STABILITY SONY.

kgeisler

Neo Member
Do you use compression for saves? Out of curiosity, if you know from the start there is a lot of emptiness in the file, why not zip it?

If we compressed our files, it'd still have the space 'reserved' for how much we specified. We can't zip the entire save outside of that. I would have thought that cloud saving would compress before uploading.

My biggest problem with psn, after having one of a ps4 and xb1 each at my house and one at my sons mothers house, is the fact that only the primary ps4 console automatically backing up cloud saves whereas the xb1 it doesn't matter and is seamless between consoles. Idk why sony can't implement that.

I think they'll get there. A lot of games function that way with their own cross save solution, so Sony is hopefully looking at increasing our storage space and making it a seamless sync.

Dunlop

grandpasimpsonyellingatig3.jpg

Never trust the cloud...

When I checked my kids Marvel lego save (switched physical to digital), the local save was actually 2 months more recent than the network one. It was an eye opener

goonergaz

3GB limit

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/08/20/playstation-plus-on-ps4-the-revolution-continues/

"Cloud storage and discounts
I can confirm that on top of the combined 2GB cloud storage we currently provide for PS3 and PS Vita users, members with a PS4 will receive an additional 1GB of cloud storage.

PlayStation Plus is committed to attempting to secure exclusive and additional discounts on PS Store products for our members and this will continue to be the case as we move into the PS4 generation."

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This is the first time I've ever whined about having to pay for XB Live or PSN.

BUT

I'm PAYING for the goddamn service. And all you can give me is 1GB? 1GB is absolutely nothing these days. It's insulting.

Andrefpvs

3GB limit

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/08/20/playstation-plus-on-ps4-the-revolution-continues/

"Cloud storage and discounts
I can confirm that on top of the combined 2GB cloud storage we currently provide for PS3 and PS Vita users, members with a PS4 will receive an additional 1GB of cloud storage.

PlayStation Plus is committed to attempting to secure exclusive and additional discounts on PS Store products for our members and this will continue to be the case as we move into the PS4 generation."

It's 1GB for each console, not 3GB combined. Once you hit 1GB on PS, you can't upload any more PS4 saves, even if you still have space on your PS3 & PS Vita cloud storage.

Will chk. I get fails ever time I log I to my ps4. Maybe because of years worth of ps plus usage on 2 ps3s, vita, and ps4? Weren't Skyrim saves huge?

goonergaz

It's 1GB for each console, not 3GB combined.

Whilst my reply was directed at those complaining about 'only 1gb isn't enough if you have more consoles' the wording on my link clearly says 'extra 1gb added to the combined 2gb for PS4 owners'.

edit - bolded my original post to make it clearer

Since you're doing a PSA, I'd like to add one;

If you removed the auto renewal for PS+, then added a Credit Card and then Wallet funds (or vice-versa) check if your auto renewal came back on. Mine did and I realized 22 days into August (I only used my ps4 to play P.T.).

I called Sony support and they hinted that I'd be ignored for a refund because they will think I took advantage of PS+ since it was so late into the month.

andshrew

Well, it's also supposed to do it when you turn your system off but it doesn't always want to do that. Only going into Standby will make them automatically upload for me. Even then, I don't think my Ground Zeroes saves ever went to the cloud yet automatically.

Needs to be fixed. :|

I think this is by design as if it did the upload whenever you turned the system off you could end up waiting ages while it uploads (even more so if you have a low upload bandwidth). Standby is the only way it will do it automatically.

Thanks for confirming that's how it works. Out of interest what is the smallest save size you can reserve?

here you go:

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2034/~/playstation-plus-introduction

"Online Storage - Access to online Cloud game save storage (Up to 3GB)."

No, as others have said its 1GB per platform (hence the upto 3GB).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
1 gig isn't that big. Each save file is at least 11 mb, so that's only like 90 games if each one has a single save. Multiple games have a save and a profile attached to it (TLOU) which runs about 21 mb. Hell, Hohokum's save is 45 mb for a single file.

edit: Octodad is 74, yeesh

That's my point, if you need more than 1GB (and the PS4 is behaving itself) then that means you have lots of games, so sony has made lots of money from you, so it can afford to give you more space.

Multiple files being uploaded is surely a mistake and that shouldn't count against your storage - another reason it shouldn't be metered

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is here a quick way to see how much space is being used - either on the PS4 or the SEN website?

Edit: totting it up I'm at about 800Mb already. Trials Fusion takes up over 100MB for a single save, octodad is 75MB(!), FIFA is 75MB. All the rest are 11-30MB (about another 30 games). Wow, goes quickly

It really isn't enough space, plus they don't give you any way to manage it - eg easily copying older ones to USB, or flagging saves as favourites and letting older ones expire to make soace for newer ones. Lots of fridge management may be needed

OneUh8

Most game saves are 11-50mb. 1GB should be plenty and offer a ton of saves. NBA2K however is out of control with it's save file. I also noticed I did not have much auto backing up and it was because NBA2K took up almost the entire storage space. Obviously having more online storage would be nice, 1GB still should be a decent amount to save a ton of game saves over the first couple years.

Mine hasn't been failing as often, though it sometimes does fail. I hope they fix this with the big update coming up. As well as with recording video clips by the time youtube implementation comes out.

Top Bottom