• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP 3000 street date broken (so's the screen, lol)

FoxSpirit

DrPirate said:
Pros

CFW

SNES Emulator/PS1 Emulator

UMD - Memory Stick holder

Fun to last a life time.

Cons

The thing doesn't run on batteries forever.

Yeah, but if it turns out the 3000 is modding proof, I'll be without a portable emulator, so I'm cautious -.-

Ravidrath

Any idea what the imports are likely to run?

I'd like a black one of these soonish, and without any having bundlery forced on me.

So what improvements will I gain by upgrading my launch day PSP fat to a PSP-3000?

- Improved Screen (anti-reflective/higher contrast/better response time)
- Video-Out
- 32MB more RAM
- 33% lighter and 20% thinner
- Better placed speakers and WLAN switch
- Built in Microphone (w/ Skype)
- Chargeable via USB (my USB cord already has a charge plug though)

Is that everything? Seems intriguing but I can't imagine having a PSP without CFW, no emulators, no CWCheat, no RemoteJoy, no ability to play my PS1 games on it... eek

Houston3000 said:
So what improvements will I gain by upgrading my launch day PSP fat to a PSP-3000?

- Video-Out
- 32MB more RAM

Is that everything? Seems intriguing but I can't imagine having a PSP without CFW, no emulators, no CWCheat, no RemoteJoy, no ability to play my PS1 games on it... eek

You forgot a wonderfull dpad.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Houston3000 said:

- Video-Out
- 32MB more RAM

Yup. Resist temptation and wait and see what happens with CFW.

Ephemeris

FoxSpirit said:
Yeah, but if it turns out the 3000 is modding proof, I'll be without a portable emulator, so I'm cautious -.-

If it comes with the TA88v3 motherboard, it will be; by current standards anyways. To expand a bit, the jigkick method used to downgrade and install CFW will not work on PSP's with the TA88v3 motherboard.

sammy said:
the silver is matte/spray paint like any GBA SP and not the glitter boat-paint speckle ... which i didn't mind so much as the 2000 being too glossy plastic feeling. no fingerprints anymore

You may have just sold me. I liked the silver until I saw it up close and it looked like there was glitter all over it. The PSP homebrew scene has really stagnated, so I'm thinking of getting the 3000 and selling my CFW fatty.

Doesn't the 4gb pack that comes out next month include a voucher for Everyday Shooter? I think I'll probably wait for that one.

Yazuka

I gott ask an hope someone has the answer.
So with the PSP-3000 will you be able to use the tv-out function for games with an sdtv?
I can't remember what site I read it on, but the way they had written about their impressions, I got the feeling you could.
It could just be a missunderstanding from my part. But all the more reason to ask.

spwolf

Yazuka said:
So with the PSP-3000 will you be able to use the tv-out function for games with an sdtv?
I can't remember what site I read it on, but the way they had written about their impressions, I got the feeling you could.
It could just be a missunderstanding from my part. But all the more reason to ask.

yep... as much as I know...

How's the sound quality and volume compared to the Slim? Is it any better? The Slim made the original PSP's sound quality even quieter and it was absolutely horrible when there are epic soundtracks out there like Crisis Core's.

Yazuka said:

Yes, I just saw a video with some dude from Sony saying that you could. With the 2000 you could only do video out for games with a component cable. With the 3000 he said video out will work with a composite cable, which will cover you on an SDTV. Hopefully it'll look better on an SDTV, cause man... I tried playing the psp 2000 on an LCD and it looked awful. Haha.

PhlivoSong said:
Yes, I just saw a video with some dude from Sony saying that you could. With the 2000 you could only do video out for games with a component cable. With the 3000 he said video out will work with a composite cable, which will cover you on an SDTV. Hopefully it'll look better on an SDTV, cause man... I tried playing the psp 2000 on an LCD and it looked awful. Haha.
Hm... I wonder what change in hardware allowed them to do that? Could there be another quiet hardware update with the 3000 as well?

spwolf

Mr. Wonderful said:
Hm... I wonder what change in hardware allowed them to do that? Could there be another quiet hardware update with the 3000 as well?

whats so quiet about hardware update in 3000?

x3sphere

Mr. Wonderful said:

Nothing, I bet. There is a homebrew software available for the 2000 that allows you to hook it up to any regular TV using a composite cable.

x3sphere said:
Nothing, I bet. There is a homebrew software available for the 2000 that allows you to hook it up to any regular TV using a composite cable.

That being said, it's telling when only the 3000 model supports this and it hasn't been patched into the 2000.

Gwanatu T

jaydogg691 said:
That's cool, but I'll wait for the White PSP. Already have Ratchet and the sliver one doesn't look all that great. I though SCEA would have fixed the packaging for the new PSP's, but it still looks like crap. I want badass packing like this SCEA!!!

sony-details-psp-3000-japanese-release-20080902070916952_640w.jpg

I've always wanted a white PSP, why can't they just release them here in the US?

Where are the video comparisons? I've got to see the difference in that screen.

Yazuka

PhlivoSong said:

Thanks a lot for the info. Glad that I wasn't way off then.
Not that this option is important, I'm just glad to have it.
I'm a bit surprised that it will be released soon and there aren't much info. o_O

bigswords

sammy said:
The screen is really nice, and yes noticeable - i checked out Loco-Roco and Patapon to see the colors, no ghosting either so i tried out some 60fps games (gorgeous). the blacks look really nice, and colors on menus stand out vibrant. the whole screen looks more rich like a CRT. I donno' what else they could do besides letting us access the highest brightness (looks very nice with the contrast) without plugging the thing in. I haven't tried it out in the sunlight.
Monster Hunter looks fantastic on it, i didn't know they were using so many colors. I can actually see the red hands on a pissed-off tigrex now from any position.

the silver is matte/spray paint like any GBA SP and not the glitter boat-paint speckle ... which i didn't mind so much as the 2000 being too glossy plastic feeling. no fingerprints anymore

Damn it , this is too tempting....I must resist...

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
sammy said:
i whored out and got one last nite as soon as i saw them all in the open at Best Buy. it comes with a voucher for echochrome as well, so that sold me.

The screen is really nice, and yes noticeable - i checked out Loco-Roco and Patapon to see the colors, no ghosting either so i tried out some 60fps games (gorgeous). the blacks look really nice, and colors on menus stand out vibrant. the whole screen looks more rich like a CRT. I donno' what else they could do besides letting us access the highest brightness (looks very nice with the contrast) without plugging the thing in. I haven't tried it out in the sunlight.
Monster Hunter looks fantastic on it, i didn't know they were using so many colors. I can actually see the red hands on a pissed-off tigrex now from any position.

everything else seems to be in working order, haven't tried out the mic since i donno' what uses it. and yes, i feel like a slut but no ghosting should've been mandatory on the PSP from day one.

So the black is not glossy like the current fingerprint magnet black slim?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Mr. Wonderful said:
Hm... I wonder what change in hardware allowed them to do that?
Upgrading from the ~4 year old CRT controller(video out) they (re)used in PSP2k.

x3sphere said:
And has massive performance hits and compatibility issues with a lot of games. The homebrew is just hacking around the fact that CRT scanout for SDTVs in PSP2k was not designed to work with linear display buffers used in games.

I really wanted a PSP for CFW to play my PS1 games, but I've realized that I probably wouldn't play them much. I would like a PSP, though, as there are several games I would like to play.

I may pick this up at some point.

Kyuubi

The target in my area is already selling them. I'm so tempted to pick one up, but I think I'll hold out for the black.

marwan

Banned
Houston3000 said:

- Video-Out
- 32MB more RAM

all of this and i'm surprised Sony hasn't upgraded the speakers! I have the PSP-2000(and PSP fat which i gave to a friend), and the speakers sound like shit, it's almost pointless listing to games over the PSP speakers, everything sounds very flat and it's not loud enough either, instead i use my headphones for better sound, but then again i don't like using headphones very much.

DoubleTap

If anyone is interested, the slim version of the Logitech Playgear Pocket is out. I just picked up one at my local Fry's today ($14.99). The only notable feature is that it fits the 2200mah battery. Finally!

mollipen

shagg_187 said:
Star Wars PSP says hi?

Shitty image silkscreened onto the battery cover, forcing you to hunt down a replacement battery cover to match, doesn't count. I don't know what SCEA's problem is with offering legit color choices in this country is, but it's starting to get annoying.

Animal

Banned
FiOSGuy said:
I need bout' 10 mins ... I take a few snaps of my new 3000. New power supply too.

Thanks! Very appreciated. I am have been on the fence for a PSP lately. I got a taste of TOCA couple days ago and was really impressed. It's either this or a 360 tomorrow.

Animal

Banned
FiOSGuy said:
Crap! My powershot is down ... dunno why. Used my webcam ...

Thanks! The screen looks really good. It's going to be a touch decision on what to buy tomorrow. :lol

B.K.

I hope they find a way to hack it. I want to upgrade, but I don't want to go back to playing games on UMDs.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Epcott said:
WOW... I just read about this at this site
http://www.qj.net/PSP-3000-spotted-at-Best-Buy-street-date-broken/pg/49/aid/124682

wait... oh, I see what they did there ;)

jk, but seriously, how much is this at the ole Best Buy?

199.99. Hey at least they gave me credit. :)

Anyway, I'm definitely picking this baby up this week. Even though I have a Slim, I haven't touched it in a while (even with CFW) and I'm loving the new silver color.

Edit: I noticed you're from Silver Spring Epcot. I found this at the BB in Elkridge, not too far from ya.

Dre

Truespeed said:
Dump the UMD
Put 8GB on board
Add GPS
Add Camera

And then I'll consider you.

Dump the UMD ?
How are we supposed to play older games then ? Only few titles (and future first party titles) are available on the PSN.

Epcott

O rully?

Hmmm, me thinks I need to replace my dusty fatty model. But $199.99 is pretty steep for something I already own. I suppose the screen is worth it, so I'll see if it's in the budget and head to Elkridge

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
shidoshi said:
Shitty image silkscreened onto the battery cover, forcing you to hunt down a replacement battery cover to match, doesn't count. I don't know what SCEA's problem is with offering legit color choices in this country is, but it's starting to get annoying.
whatever. my white is awesome and the silkscreen actually looks very classy. and i felt the same as this guy before i got it too.

Top Bottom