• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP 3000 street date broken (so's the screen, lol)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Spike Spiegel said:
I may pick up a PSP to get my Monster Hunter fix, but what other games are considered "must haves"? I haven't really followed the PSP scene.
the wipeouts
ug'n'g
loco roco
daxter
patapon
chains of olympus

this before we consider the homebrew scene, which may or may not be relevant on the 3k, depending on the side of the pants sony pictures had it in the morning.

blu said:
the wipeouts
ug'n'g
loco roco
daxter
patapon
chains of olympus

this before we consider the homebrew scene, which may or may not be relevant on the 3k, depending on the side of the pants sony pictures had it in the morning.

Syphon Filter is awesome as well.

B.K.

Epcott said:
Hmmm, me thinks I need to replace my dusty fatty model. But $199.99 is pretty steep for something I already own. I suppose the screen is worth it, so I'll see if it's in the budget and head to Elkridge

Wait for the Core pack. It's going to be $169, just like the 2000 Core pack.

The M.O.B

DoubleTap said:
If anyone is interested, the slim version of the Logitech Playgear Pocket is out. I just picked up one at my local Fry's today ($14.99). The only notable feature is that it fits the 2200mah battery. Finally!

Anybody know if this will this fit the 3000? The 3000 has slightly more slanted edges but overall it's the same size as the 2000, would the slanted edges cause any problems?

I swung by both Best Buy and Target this morning, and both of them had the PSP 3000 available already. If you're thinking about picking one up this week, couple it with the TRU B2G1 free deal to build a PSP library quite quickly.

psp-3000-top002.jpg

wow, the sides are way more beveled.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Spike Spiegel said:
I may pick up a PSP to get my Monster Hunter fix, but what other games are considered "must haves"? I haven't really followed the PSP scene.
Crisis Core, Metal Gear Ac!d 1 and 2, Gurumin, Disgaea, Killzone, Patapon, Lumines, Dracula X Chronicles, Final Fantasy Tactics, Star Ocean very soon, Jeanne D'Arc, Crush, LocoRoco, God Of War, MegaMan Powered Up, Megaman Maverick Hunter X, Ultimate G&G, DJMAX, Tekken DR and gimped Valkyrie Profile, but Valkyrie Profile nothenless! All those are AAA IMO, then you have many more, not so awesome but decent.
You also have a shitload of good working emulators starting from PS1 at 100% speed.
I love my PSP... I'm getting a 3000 to replace my 1000 as soon as they sell it without a shitty bundle.

Having had one in my hands, they actually feel even lighter in material than the 2000s. The paint is also kinda odd feeling, I wouldn't say cheap, but it's not the highest quality. Didn't actually get to turn one on though, so I can't comment on screen quality yet. Buttons feel a bit better though.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I am hoping that all this cost cutting means that there will be a $150 PSP in the future.

I love the console, but there is no way I am buying a replacement for my PSP-1000 when it works perfectly well and a replacement is the same price as when I first bought the PSP.

Aru

marwan said:
is it true the PSPstore would only be available on the PSP-3000? please say t ain't so!

It would have been a really bad decision to do so.
I'm keeping my PSP-1000 because I don't really need the additions of 2000 or 3000.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Aru said:
I would have been a really bad decision to do so.
I'm keeping my PSP-1000 because I don't really need the additions of 2000 or 3000.

I'm with you. Don't need to upgrade though the nicer screen is drool worthy. Doesn't warrant me buying a whole new system.

I'll be waiting for the PSPhone. Please sony.

Tobor

The silver is so incredibly awful. What are they thinking?

I've been holding out so long for a PSP with a decent screen, I guess I can wait a bit longer for the black units to arrive.

CamHostage

Has anybody actually taken a PSP3000 outside yet? I'm really curious about the glare fix, that would be a huge upgrade for me if the system was playable on a sunny day without running for a bungalow.

Aru said:

well, i'd keep the 1000 regardless because it's craftsmanship is leagues beyond the 2000 and 3000. not that the newer units are not technically impressive themselves, but you can FEEL and see the difference when holding a 1000. it's just a sexy expensive unit and it shows.

all the more reason to get a newer unit, imo. i feel much more comfortable taking my 2000 with me, even going so far as to throw it into my bookbag now (with logitech case, of course) -- something i would never do with my 1000.

P90

Barkley's Justice said:
well, i'd keep the 1000 regardless because it's craftsmanship is leagues beyond the 2000 and 3000. not that the newer units are not technically impressive themselves, but you can FEEL and see the difference when holding a 1000. it's just a sexy expensive unit and it shows.

all the more reason to get a newer unit, imo. i feel much more comfortable taking my 2000 with me, even going so far as to throw it into my bookbag now (with logitech case, of course) -- something i would never do with my 1000.

Info, I was looking for. Thx.

I'll get a 3000 unit in the near future... and I'll keep my 1000 series too.

blu said:
the wipeouts
ug'n'g
loco roco
daxter
patapon
chains of olympus

DKnight said:
Crisis Core, Metal Gear Ac!d 1 and 2, Gurumin, Disgaea, Killzone, Patapon, Lumines, Dracula X Chronicles, Final Fantasy Tactics, Star Ocean very soon, Jeanne D'Arc, Crush, LocoRoco, God Of War, MegaMan Powered Up, Megaman Maverick Hunter X, Ultimate G&G, DJMAX, Tekken DR and gimped Valkyrie Profile, but Valkyrie Profile nothenless! All those are AAA IMO, then you have many more, not so awesome but decent.
You also have a shitload of good working emulators starting from PS1 at 100% speed.
I love my PSP... I'm getting a 3000 to replace my 1000 as soon as they sell it without a shitty bundle.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. So far I've picked up...

- Patapon
- Monster Hunter Freedom
- Monster Hunter Freedom 2
- Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX
- Tekken Dark Resurrection

I was going to get God of War today, but my TRU has a sh*t selection on PSP games so the B2G1F plan fell through. Any other games to recommend? What about the Metal Gear Portable Ops games?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Spike Spiegel said:
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. So far I've picked up...

- Patapon
- Monster Hunter Freedom
- Monster Hunter Freedom 2
- Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX
- Tekken Dark Resurrection

I was going to get God of War today, but my TRU has a sh*t selection on PSP games so the B2G1F plan fell through. Any other games to recommend? What about the Metal Gear Portable Ops games?

There's no need to get both MHF games, you'd really get nothing out of playing them concurrently/sequentially. Just stick with MHF2, it has a smoother difficulty curve and content wise, is MHF1+more.

MGS Portable Ops is good, the controls are wack though.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Barkley's Justice said:

Bingo, even if I ever buy a PSP-3000, 4000, 5000 or whatever, my PSP-1000 will always be there because it felt like it is like the Ferrari of the PS3's. Sure the newer ones have superior features and may have improvements, but you can't beat the original.

Until they make a PSP that feels as well manufactured as the PSP-1000, then there is no need to get rid of the original (and the best design).

Aru

Dizzan said:
I'm with you. Don't need to upgrade though the nicer screen is drool worthy. Doesn't warrant me buying a whole new system.

I'll be waiting for the PSPhone. Please sony.

Hey, thanks to you I noticed I made a typo in my post :eek:

After playing with the 3000 model at the TGS, I've decided to postpone my purchase. It's not as much of a step up as I was hoping for. Maybe after the Xmas wallet hit. To console myself I bought N+ for the PSP.

Ronok

Barkley's Justice said:
psp-3000-top002.jpg

wow, the sides are way more beveled.

Wow, that looks pretty ugly, especially compared to my psp slim. :-/

On a side note, you get the most horrid packaging over there. lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Segata Sanshiro said:
After playing with the 3000 model at the TGS, I've decided to postpone my purchase. It's not as much of a step up as I was hoping for. Maybe after the Xmas wallet hit. To console myself I bought N+ for the PSP.

Yes, I would like to see more posts like this detailing how the unit actually is and less PICS OF THE SYSTEM!!!!!11 DO THEY HAVE COLORZ?!?! posts.

madara

Has the controls seen any improvement since this system launched? I remember a friend and I trying it out and really didnt like how stiff it felt.

Snipes424

I haven't bought a PSP yet, but I'm seriously thinking about getting one now. One question though, can you use it like an Ipod? aka listening to podcast/music?

Does anyone know when Resistance is actually coming out? On the stiq of Joy they said that it will come out this holiday, and even via the download store, but all the major gaming sites say Q2 2009.

Snipes424

Kestastrophe said:
Does anyone know when Resistance is actually coming out? On the stiq of Joy they said that it will come out this holiday, and even via the download store, but all the major gaming sites say Q2 2009.

I'm pretty positive that it's Q2 2009 or at least sometime in 2009 because when they were talking about the infection with R2 and RR they were talking about it being launched in 2009.

Aske

Snipes424 said:
I haven't bought a PSP yet, but I'm seriously thinking about getting one now. One question though, can you use it like an Ipod? aka listening to podcast/music?

I have to disagree with Segata. I bought my PSP expecting solid MP3 player functionality, but was very disappointed by its implementation. It wasn't high on my list of priorities, but it's still a source of frustration, and my biggest problem with the system (besides poor ergonomics and lack of dual analog!).

If you just want to dump a single playlist of tracks or a specific podcast onto the system, basic MP3 playback is fine, and sound quality is good. But if you want to keep a moderate library of music on your memory stick, you'll run into problems.

The PSP doesn't sort tracks by their ID3 tags, so your music is ordered by file name. Fortunately track name/album/artist info is displayed, but your music will appear as a jumbled mess of songs with no discernible order. This makes locating one track out of a hundred very difficult, especially on the go. The other problem is that while you can make playlists in sub folders (or organise your music by artist/album when you import the files), you can't shuffle music between folders. So you either lump all your songs together in a messy list, or sort them into groups which segregate your music. There's no option to create on-the-go playlists either.

The fact that Sony hasn't fixed basic MP3 sorting is inexcusable. The PS3 does it beautifully. I can sort my music by artist, album or genre; and my library is displayed alphabetically. It's like a well-ordered CD rack. Conversely, when I think of listening to music on my PSP, it's like my songs have been poured into a small bag with a large silver '?' on the front. I can sort through them laboriously, or I can shake out music at random. Or I can pre-seal songs in special little sub-bags that are easier to find, but which I have to open one at a time.

So does the PSP play music and podcasts? Sure. Is it a replacement for a dedicated player? Not by a long shot.

Has there been any details impressions on the 3000 yet? I had a launch PSP that I loved to death for along time, but once the 360 launched, I played it less and less, and often only when I traveled. I ended up selling it off, but I'm about to do some more traveling again, and have been considering picking up a portable system for games once more. I'm torn between grabbing the 3000 or getting a DS Lite, as I'm looking for some RPG's to play.

Top Bottom