• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP 3000 street date broken (so's the screen, lol)

The M.O.B

well, 3 games i got (ratchet,monster hunter,demonsiege)and for a first time psp owner it wasnt noticeable at first, but now after the news of it came, it looks like upclose there are some issues with the screen. interlacing problems i guess. im not up with the technical stuff but from what people are saying, i guess that is what it is.

dont have a good cam so no pics unfortunately :l

Yazuka

Damn, damn. And I was thinking about getting one.
Guess I'll just keep my psp phat then. And maybe get a psp 2000 later.

Slavik81

This is pretty disappointing. I guess I'll wait for the PSP-4000.
It would be awesome if they released a cheaper model without a UMD drive...
After all, every game's going to be available for download in the not too distant future...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Wow, the console seems to be getting downgrades all around when moving to a new number.

I know they are trying to reduce costs, but this is insane. Especially to call this hardware problem a "design feature."

kevm3

So is there any advantage with the 3000 than better colors on screen and a mic? Might just get a 2000 instead.

Hcoregamer00

kevm3 said:
So is there any advantage with the 3000 than better colors on screen and a mic? Might just get a 2000 instead.

It has smaller innards so sony could make it cheaper, I guess it is an advantage for Sony.

Hurry before the 2000 is completely replaced by the 3000.

duckroll

Slavik81 said:
This is pretty disappointing. I guess I'll wait for the PSP-4000.
It would be awesome if they released a cheaper model without a UMD drive...
After all, every game's going to be available for download in the not too distant future...

So far it's only in Japan, and only first party games. Pretty much every third party is still sticking with retail only. Considering how "serious" Sony is about the PS Store in the US (lolz), I doubt you'll see the same level of support anywhere outside Japan.

spwolf

Ermac said:
I'm going to have to agree on those interlacing issues.

I bought one and returned it today, because honestly, some games looked worse, and the ones that did look better (SFA3 to name one) weren't a huge improvement at all. I ran through Ratchet side by side and it looked slightly better on my 2000. Also, the picture had a slight yellow tint to it. (maybe it was just mine.)

Anyway, I'd suggest checking one out in person before upgrading. IMO it's not worth the 200 investment. Plus, 5.00 M33 is already out.

only new/er games will use wider color range, so expect it from upcoming games, not old ones...

B.K. said:
10-21-08-psp-screen-comaro.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/21/sony-looking-into-psp-3000-interlacing-problems/

I wonder if it happens on all the 3000 models or if it's random.

man that sucks. maybe sony can finally get the screen right with the next psp revision.

I think they already said that the problem is hardware based and can't be fixed with firmware. Despite people calling this 'interlacing', what they meant to actually say is 'something similar to interlacing', but not the same occurance.

The screen doesn't deinterlace or interlace the image, in fact the idea of a interlaced LCD display it's just ridiculous. Displays show what they're told to show, and LCD displays are progressive. I'm 100% sure that issue can be fixed via firmware.

Vaandaviii said:
The screen doesn't deinterlace or interlace the image, in fact the idea of a interlaced LCD display it's just ridiculous. Displays show what they're told to show, and LCD displays are progressive. I'm 100% sure that issue can be fixed via firmware.

So Sony is wrong about their own hardware?

Jim

I've been going back and forth with the two screens, and overall prefer the 3000s now. The little bit of interlacing artifacts are an OK tradeoff for practically no smearing and the better refresh rate and the black levels. Motion seems to be smoother overall, it's hard to explain w/o seeing it in motion.

I noticed the same thing on the iPhone, although thanks to the higher resolution screen it's not as obvious.

B.K.

KeioSquad2 said:
Deinterlacing can be fixed with a firmware update, so it's nothing to really worry about...

No it can't. Sony's said that it's a problem with the new LCD screens. A firmware update can't fix it.

KeioSquad2 said:
Deinterlacing can be fixed with a firmware update, so it's nothing to really worry about...
What about the engadget update that says this

engadget said:
Update: A Japanese Sony Computer Entertainment representative has informed us that the interlacing-like lines are just "features" of the new LCD, and currently, there are no plans to fix it with a future software update since it is in the hardware.

sammy

I haven't experienced this sort of interlacing in any of the games i've tried on the PSP4k. i've mostly played hours of monster hunter 2nd, and it looks more crisp than it ever has. loco roco looks crystal clear .... i'll try some other games. what seem to be the troublemaker games?

when outputting to a TV I've tried all the options from progressive to interlaced televisions. there's a deflicker option, i've tried that on and off but it works fine and looks good on my SDtv

GitarooMan said:
What about the engadget update that says this

I just found that out myself, so........ a firmware update can fix the issues on a lcd screen, but Sony chooses not to. Is that better?

:| Its a little upsetting that every model has new minuses while at best fixing a few old ones.

And its even more upsetting how they always fuck up with SKUs, last time it took like 8 months for the white psp to be released here...and now 4 bundles for the black one, and there's no core package either, no news about core packs or other colors either.

Great job Sony, great job.

Hcoregamer00

sammy said:
I haven't experienced this sort of interlacing in any of the games i've tried on the PSP4k. i've mostly played hours of monster hunter 2nd, and it looks more crisp than it ever has. loco roco looks crystal clear .... i'll try some other games. what seem to be the troublemaker games?

when outputting to a TV I've tried all the options from progressive to interlaced televisions. there's a deflicker option, i've tried that on and off but it works fine and looks good on my SDtv

Holy crap, a time traveler!!!

DoubleTap

KeioSquad2 said:
I just found that out myself, so........ a firmware update can fix the issues on a lcd screen, but Sony chooses not to. Is that better?

Going by your logic, Sony could also release a firmware update that should get rid of the ghosting on the 1000 and 2000 models. Do you get it now?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DoubleTap said:
Going by your logic, Sony could also release a firmware update that should get rid of the ghosting on the 1000 and 2000 models. Do you get it now?
Actually he gets it, you don't (you equate ghosting to interlaced scan). One is a property of display, the other is a function of display controller.

KeioSquad2 said:
To be fair, there's a possibility someone made the retarded choice to hardcode video-out controller to interlaced scan. Ever since I heard of this issue I've been wondering if this could be there as result of them adding unified SDTV-out support (ie. default system into interlaced scan, and voila, there's your SDTV out at all times).

So what am I hearing, GAF? That I should postpone my PSP purchase? What are the odds that Sony will fix this problem in the next bundle, or the core 3000 when they're released?

Hcoregamer00

Spike Spiegel said:
So what am I hearing, GAF? That I should postpone my PSP purchase? What are the odds that Sony will fix this problem in the next bundle, or the core 3000 when they're released?

Yeah, postpone it for the time being.

Hopefully Sony listens to the backlash and does what we want, a gorgeous PSP screen with low latency that provides a nice picture.

kevm3 said:

Besides better color saturation, it has better black levels, better contrast ratio, a far superior refresh rate, less ghosting, and less glare.

Schrade

Onix said:
???

What issues are there with the Slim versus the original?
If I remember correctly:

1) Some say it feels "cheaper" and more fragile.
2) Some say the UMD door opens too easily and feels fragile.
3) Video out cables aren't all-in-one with Composite/S-Video/Component outputs on the same cable. This means you have to buy separate ones for each kind of output you want to do.
4) No Video out for games unless you're using the component cable + a progressive monitor/TV.

I'm sure there's a few more but that's just what I remember from off the top of my head.

Raistlin

Schrade said:
If I remember correctly:

1) Some say it feels "cheaper" and more fragile.
2) Some say the UMD door opens too easily and feels fragile.
3) Video out cables aren't all-in-one with Composite/S-Video/Component outputs on the same cable. This means you have to buy separate ones for each kind of output you want to do.
4) No Video out for games unless you're using the component cable + a progressive monitor/TV.

I'm sure there's a few more but that's just what I remember from off the top of my head.

Unless I'm mistaken, the original didn't have video output ... did it? So 3 and 4 don't make sense.

If the issue is only that it feels a bit more fragile, I think I'll just go with the Slim.

CNET has an SCEA rep response on the screen issue:

"On some occasions, scan lines may appear on scenes where brightness changes drastically, due to the hardware features of the new LCD device on PSP-3000. Installed with this new LCD device, PSP-3000 offers more natural and vibrant colors on its screen, but the scan lines have come out to be more visible as a result of improving response time to alleviate the afterimages on PSP-3000. Since this is due to hardware specification, there are no plans for a system software update concerning this issue."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10071277-1.html

Hcoregamer00

So basically the scanlines are the consequence of the PSP's output being designed for high latency LCD screens.

What?

glad I got my pop 2000 before they discontinued it. don't have to deal with this deinterlacing trash...

i guess i'll wait for 4000 or psp2. Don't see either happening anytime soon though.

Let me add that I own a PSP 3000, and it does not look bad at all. So far I've only played R&C: Size Matters, and it looks better than it did on my 2000. I'm not regretting my upgrade at all.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That picture blows the issue out of proportion.

The screen is all around better.
I don't think anyone would pick the older screen after seeing them both in person.

spwolf

mysticstylez said:
Let me add that I own a PSP 3000, and it does not look bad at all. So far I've only played R&C: Size Matters, and it looks better than it did on my 2000. I'm not regretting my upgrade at all.

what, you dont press your eyeballs to the screen when you play games? wtf dude... do it properly :D

I wish I had 3000 because I mostly watch movies over remote play and this would be awesome upgrade, i just cant justify it over PSP-2000...

Jim

dallow_bg said:

I don't think anyone would pick the older screen after seeing them both in person.

150% agree. I've been flipping back and forth with the 2000 and 3000 side by side for a few days now (in several games, from LocoRoco to Wipeout), and the actual response/motion on the 3000 is way more eye pleasing IMO. Not to mention the better contrast/blacks. It's definitely an improvement.

If the blur/after image on the 2000 didn't bother you, then it's probably not worth it getting a 3000.

I also like the new face buttons. Very responsive, less spongy.

Just playing GOW:Chains of Olympus on a 3000 is reason enough to own it. Ghosting has been minimized almost completely.

Now I gotta try bot GTA games, they had shitty ghosting. Hey Jim, have you tried either of those games?

dallow_bg said:

maybe so but for someone such as myself considering upgrading from the slim to 3000 it is a big deterrent. i'm not about to plunk down another $170 for another psp when it still has such glaring flaws with its screen.

sammy

Hcoregamer00 said:
Holy crap, a time traveler!!!

heh whoops! (soon enough right?)

I'm still not seeing the interlace issues on my 3k, whatever it is it sure as hell doesn't stick out much. the interlacing output option also doesn't seem to have any influence (though when on a non progressive TV, taking the soften filter off makes shit incredibly jaggy)

i've tried out all 3 of my models at length to compare. and as a videophile, i don't think it's arguable how much nicer the 3k screen is when they are side by side (even when you turn the Wide color range off, it's still a much nicer screen.)

in my opinion, this new screen is what the PSP should have had from the beginning. there's no excuse for a handheld gaming unit to have ghosting

regardless of how nice the new screen is, i'm still keeping my slim 2k monster hunter edition PSP around :D

WickedLaharl said:
maybe so but for someone such as myself considering upgrading from the slim to 3000 it is a big deterrent. i'm not about to plunk down another $170 for another psp when it still has such glaring flaws with its screen.

Yeah blowing up a 2d sprite to show interlacing is a "glaring flaw"

it is a glaring flaw for an lcd screen. i could resize that picture and still be able to notice the scanlines easily.

doing away with ghosting and giving us interlacing issues is not an acceptable trade off to me.

Jim

WickedLaharl said:
it is a glaring flaw for an lcd screen. i could resize that picture and still be able to notice the scanlines easily.

Are you really going just by the pictures, or have you tried playing games in person, on the screens, side-by-side? At first, you notice them (while comparing), but then you realize that the screen IS an improvement for a number of reasons.

Jim said:
Are you really going just by the pictures, or have you tried playing games in person, on the screens, side-by-side?

i'm going by the pictures. i can tell you right now that if i did play one that i'd notice the scanlines/interlacing since i'm HIGHLY sensitive to them and ghosting.

anyways i'll i'm saying is that I would not buy yet another psp until they get the screen right.

At first, you notice them (while comparing), but then you realize that the screen IS an improvement for a number of reasons.

i understand that the screen is overall an improvement. but to me this is like taking two steps forward and one step back.

my biggest concern is that they will fix this pseudo-interlacing problem, only without losing all the other benefits to the 3000 screen, and just do it stealthy and still release it under the 3000. I don't want to buy the 3000 only to see that they were manufacturing new models. Hopefully there is more info from Sony before the black entertainment bundle releases in America.

Top Bottom