• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP 3000 street date broken (so's the screen, lol)

kuYuri

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
:| Its a little upsetting that every model has new minuses while at best fixing a few old ones.

And its even more upsetting how they always fuck up with SKUs, last time it took like 8 months for the white psp to be released here...and now 4 bundles for the black one, and there's no core package either, no news about core packs or other colors either.

Great job Sony, great job.

They are still releasing a core package December I believe. Sony puts out bundles first to entice new people to buy them since bundles tend to offer better value over just the core package.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, I'm pretty pissed by Sony's formal and public evasion. But I suspect that there might be a stealth-fix in later production runs. Either way I'm waiting for the piano black model to hit, which I think is in late November for us here in the US. We'll see.

Elios83

I'm sure that the scanlines problem will be solved in the units produced after the holday season. It's a hardware problem and they knew about it, they probably accepted it to save money but if people complain they will be forced to fix it in the future by changing the screen again.

spwolf

WickedLaharl said:
i'm going by the pictures. i can tell you right now that if i did play one that i'd notice the scanlines/interlacing since i'm HIGHLY sensitive to them and ghosting.

anyways i'll i'm saying is that I would not buy yet another psp until they get the screen right.

i understand that the screen is overall an improvement. but to me this is like taking two steps forward and one step back.

how can you realize anything if you never saw problem yourself? :lol

duckroll

LOLZ Update: http://psp.ign.com/articles/922/922316p1.html

When approached by IGN, Sony Computer Entertainment America offered the following statement: "On some occasions, scan lines may appear on scenes where brightness changes drastically, due to the hardware features of the new LCD device on PSP-3000. Installed with this new LCD device, PSP-3000 offers more natural and vibrant colors on its screen, but the scan lines have come out to be more visible as a result of improving response time to alleviate the afterimages on PSP-3000. Since this is due to hardware specification, there are no plans for a system software updates concerning this issue."

That about wraps it up for my PSP-3000 purchase. Good job Sony. :D

Aske

That doesn't mean they won't revise the hardware. All they specify is that there won't be any software updates to fix the issue. So if you've got a new 3000, don't expect a firmware upgrade to solve the problem. The response is typical PR speak: a non-committal statement that explains the criticism and tries to paint it in a more flattering light. But they don't flat out deny the problem, or that they're working on a hardware solution in upcoming models.

spwolf

Jim said:
150% agree. I've been flipping back and forth with the 2000 and 3000 side by side for a few days now (in several games, from LocoRoco to Wipeout), and the actual response/motion on the 3000 is way more eye pleasing IMO. Not to mention the better contrast/blacks. It's definitely an improvement.

If the blur/after image on the 2000 didn't bother you, then it's probably not worth it getting a 3000.

I also like the new face buttons. Very responsive, less spongy.

QFT

duckroll

Aske said:
That doesn't mean they won't revise the hardware. All they specify is that there won't be any software updates to fix the issue. So if you've got a new 3000, don't expect a firmware upgrade to solve the problem. The response is typical PR speak: a non-committal statement that explains the criticism and tries to paint it in a more flattering light. But they don't flat out deny the problem, or that they're working on a hardware solution in upcoming models.

We'll see if they bother to fix it. If not, there's no way I'm touching this model. Scanlines pretty much ruin any advantage the screen has for me.

Spwolf: Keep kissing Sony's ass. But trying to backseat mod a mod is a fucking dumb idea. Just saying. :p

sammy

I've tried a handful of newer games out, and yes i can see the interlacing. you really have to get things moving and look for it, comparing the same games on older PSP models it seems that the interlacing must've been the trade-off for ghosting and the new black levels.... it's still insanely puzzling why the LCD would interlace to begin with (would it have anything to do with outputting to non-progressive displays??)

still the new screen is very nice, and interlacing nowhere near as bad as the ghosting is. but damn, i really wish sony would get on the ball with this one .... the new screen is without a doubt the best, but still ... for a handheld that is known for it's screen quality, you'd think we'd have the be-all-end-all of PSP screens by now

zoukka

This and the new DS are the most laughable things in existence. From now on I'll pretend they don't exist.

EDIT: Hey guys remember when Sony said that the crappy square-button on the first PSP-model was a "feature" back in the days?

x3sphere

I've tried a handful of newer games out, and yes i can see the interlacing. you really have to get things moving and look for it, comparing the same games on older PSP models it seems that the interlacing must've been the trade-off for ghosting and the new black levels.... it's still insanely puzzling why the LCD would interlace to begin with (would it have anything to do with outputting to non-progressive displays??)

As I'm sure Sony was aware of this while shipping the 3000, it could be that the problem is not caused by the LCD screen, but rather the GPU inside of the PSP. That's one part of the hardware they can't really change. The scanlines may very well be there on the 1000 and 2000 too, but since the screen is of lower quality, we don't see them.

That said, the scanline effect is nowhere near as the bad as the ghosting on previous models. The issue has really been overblown, tbh.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I swear I've seen this same artifact on other portable devices. I was playing around with some stuff on an iPod Touch recently and there is a very similar effect present. It does indeed resemble poor de-interlacing. I suppose I'm not surprised that the issue would crop up on the new PSP. :\ Perhaps it has something to do with the way such thing screens are manufactured? I mean, if similar portable devices with very slim bodies have similar issues, perhaps they are all related in some fashion?

I was considering upgrading as I never picked up a PSP-2000, but I dunno, I'll have to see this is person to see if it bothers me. I mean, unlike the iPhone/iPod Touch, the PSP is a dedicated gaming machine and will see much faster motion more often. Most of the games I've played on the Apple portable run at low framerates and feature little motion. A high-speed 60 fps PSP game seems far more likely to demonstrate the flaws.

jrricky

Banned
zoukka said:
This and the new DS are the most laughable things in existence. From now on I'll pretend they don't exist.
wot? does not compute....whats wrong with the new ds that im not aware of?

zoukka

sevenchaos said:
Region free? What? You can play games from anywhere on your DS. You've been able to do this from day one.

Yes I know all my games are imported.

Hot diggity damn I guess someone lied to me then.

dsware store is region locked.

Doesn't really bother me, if normal games work.

loosus

Banned
dark10x said:
I was considering upgrading as I never picked up a PSP-2000, but I dunno, I'll have to see this is person to see if it bothers me. I mean, unlike the iPhone/iPod Touch, the PSP is a dedicated gaming machine and will see much faster motion more often. Most of the games I've played on the Apple portable run at low framerates and feature little motion. A high-speed 60 fps PSP game seems far more likely to demonstrate the flaws.
Um, not really. I can see it on the firmware background, for Christ's sake.

marwan

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
man that sucks. maybe sony can finally get the screen right with the next psp revision.

that's like saying i hope Apple would fix the next MacBook crappy screen!

dream on!

marwan

Banned
Tiduz said:
dsware store is region locked.

oh so it's only the DSware stuff is region locked? *phew* i thought you meant DSi would only play games from it's region....which would royally suck!!!

jrricky said:
wot? does not compute....whats wrong with the new ds that im not aware of?
It sacrifices gaming advantages (GBA slot, longer battery life) for multimedia features (music playback, a shitty digital camera), something Nintendo fans used to mock the PSP for.

Yoschi

I have a PSP with a newly installed screen since 4 or 5 months before the 2000 came out.
hoped the 2000 was what i was looking for, tried it, WORSE screen than the one on my 1000.
Saw the 3000 announcement, hoping that one was what i was looking for.. nope, the fucked it again.

To all PSP buyers, unless that RAM thingy extra or microphone is absolutely necessary to you, just buy a cheap 1000, change the screen with an improved one or try finding a 1000 model which has an improved screen.
There are some out there, i think the last 1000 models before the 2000 came out had one of those better screens (that actually has close to NO ghosting like mine).

marwan said:
scanlines...that's so retro!

PSP-2000 FTMFW!!!
To me, usually retro means something good, something from the past you want to keep warm within you heart. But this, No. This is just freakin stupid and i don't want to have to deal with scanlines ever again!

yurinka

Yoschi said:
I have a PSP with a newly installed screen since 4 or 5 months before the 2000 came out.
hoped the 2000 was what i was looking for, tried it, WORSE screen than the one on my 1000.
Saw the 3000 announcement, hoping that one was what i was looking for.. nope, the fucked it again.

To all PSP buyers, unless that RAM thingy extra or microphone is absolutely necessary to you, just buy a cheap 1000, change the screen with an improved one or try finding a 1000 model which has an improved screen.
There are some out there, i think the last 1000 models before the 2000 came out had one of those better screens (that actually has close to NO ghosting like mine).

To me, usually retro means something good, something from the past you want to keep warm within you heart. But this, No. This is just freakin stupid and i don't want to have to deal with scanlines ever again!
Why PSP 1000? PSP 2000 has better keypad, extra RAM and TV-out nope?

yurinka said:
Why PSP 1000? PSP 2000 has better keypad, extra RAM and TV-out nope?

The PSP2000 is leagues ahead of the original in terms of the overall feel of the unit. Plus, the 1000's d-pad is borderline unusable and much improved by the 2000.

2000>1000 without question.

kuYuri

Ermac said:
Hmm. Looks like Sony may be trying to fix the issue sooner than we thought. Apparently they are canceling pre-orders for the black 3000 entertainment bundle on Amazon:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&thread.id=3401928

Just checked Amazon, it's not listed on their site anymore either.

This recall is now confirmed to be that the 4GB memory stick bundle is being cancelled.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/27/psp-3000-update/

Based on ongoing discussions with our retail partners and the feedback they have received from their customers, SCEA has seen significant interest in the Ratchet & Clank Size Matters PSP Entertainment Pack in North America, which includes the updated PSP-3000. As a result, we will be streamlining our PSP hardware lineup and will no longer be offering the previously announced 4GB Memory PSP Entertainment Pack.

Consumers who are interested in a larger capacity memory option can purchase a 4GB PSP Memory Stick PRO Duo, which will be available this fall for $44.99 (MSRP). The Ratchet & Clank Size Matters PSP Entertainment Pack will continue to be available in Mystic Silver in North America, and, starting in December, will be available in Piano Black.

Yoschi

Poimandres said:
The PSP2000 is leagues ahead of the original in terms of the overall feel of the unit. Plus, the 1000's d-pad is borderline unusable and much improved by the 2000.

2000>1000 without question.

I wouldn't say it quite like that. The last units of the 1000 series have all the flaws corrected that it had in the beginning. The dpad problems that you are talking about were corrected in later units, as was the screen (nearly no ghosting and definitely the best of the 3 model variations now that we know the 3000 has scanline issues).
I'm not sure if they put in a bigger battery as well, but it last longer than the 2000 or the 3000 anyway.

The 2000 has TV-out and extra RAM, but that's all. The screen has the same horrid ghosting issues that the first units of the 1000 models had. A lot of people also prefer the shape of the 1000, even though it's heavier.
That's why i would say that getting a recent 1000 model is the most reasonable option, screen wise, battery-wise and maybe even ergonomically depending on your taste.

But as soon as they fix the scanline issues, the 3000 is the PSP to get. Now if only Sony would listen to it's consumers, or at least if the technicians do and sneak up a solution secretly hehe :D

What we will probably see is that some clever dude will work around or find a hack to the problem before sony does, like most of the time when consumers get ignored by big-ass companies like sony or nintendo.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Yoschi said:
With your luck you should just get a PSP3000. It'll probably be one of those improved 3000 models that have no scanlines.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Yoschi said:
i've got one of these:
In that case you should clarify to people to buy a hw-modded PSP (or do it themselves) rather then cryptically suggest there were retail units with no-ghosting screens available.

That said, I'm curious how does that screen compare in terms of other things like color reproduction, contrast, brightness, power drain. The last one isn't a real issue for me, but the others are, I'm not interested in ghosting free screen if it comes with badly muted contrast, obscene view angle issues or something along those lines.

biocat

I was looking at one in Yodobashi today. It really doesn't look that bad.

I wouldn't be too upset if I bought one before knowing about it.

I bought a new PSP 1000 a month before the 2000 came out, it was like RIGHT before the announcement. I have no complaints but I've never actually used another PSP to compare it against. The screen I think is great, but I wish I had TV out. Maybe I'd trade it for a couple PS3 or Xbox 360 games and get a new 3000 when they work the kinks out.

Yoschi

Fafalada said:
In that case you should clarify to people to buy a hw-modded PSP (or do it themselves) rather then cryptically suggest there were retail units with no-ghosting screens available.

If you read my previous post, i said:
Yoschi said:
..,just buy a cheap 1000, change the screen with an improved one or try finding a 1000 model which has an improved screen...

And i know for sure that there are 1000 model units that have screens with a lot less ghosting than previous units, i've seen quite a few and had one of them for 2 weeks or so.

Fafalada said:
That said, I'm curious how does that screen compare in terms of other things like color reproduction, contrast, brightness, power drain. The last one isn't a real issue for me, but the others are, I'm not interested in ghosting free screen if it comes with badly muted contrast, obscene view angle issues or something along those lines.

Unfortunately i don't have the money to buy all units and make side by side comparison pics and don't know anyone that has a 2000 or a 3000.
All i can tell you is that the screen that i have has nothing less than any of the original ones. This is the best screen as far as 1000 screens can go.

I did have a 2000 for a while but i went to get my money back because i thought 169 GBP is no way worth a worse screen, less battery life, extra RAM and TV-out.

TheExodu5

Banned
The PSP-3000 isn't worth getting unless it gets firmware hacked. So far it looks like a firmware hack will not be coming any time soon, if ever.

I need the damned firmware hack to get rid of the ridiculous drive noise.

Top Bottom