• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP 3000 street date broken (so's the screen, lol)

I want a PSP, but I'm not sure what I should do. If I trade in my Wii, I can get $160 and $20 extra from a promotion at Gamestop (not great, but it's something). They have a special offer where you can get a used/refurbished original model PSP for $139.99 and you get any two used $19.99 and under games free. With the remaining credit, I could get some more games.

Or, I could check to see if Gamestop is getting the new Ratchet bundle and pay the remainder in cash, and possibly pick up MGA2 since it's only $8.

So, any suggestions?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Barkley's Justice said:
psp-3000-top002.jpg

wow, the sides are way more beveled.
Im not a big fan of the way this looks at all.

leehom

When is the PSP 3000 stand alone expected to hit shelves? I need to purchase one as a Christmas gift. If the stand alone isn't released, I'll go for the entertainment pack at the end of Nov.

Tabris

People are waiting for UMD's to be removed.

NEWS FLASH! Isn't happening until PSP2 so get the PSP now and enjoy all the great games coming out or already released.

The other people who say the are "waiting" aren't actually waiting and are just posting that so they don't come off as a fanboy. Just admit you don't want a PSP. Actually just don't post in PSP threads and that solves it.

Anyways, I'm trying to sell my current PSP and I'll be upgrading early november when the black PSP-3000 comes out.

neight

Banned
Tabris said:
The other people who say the are "waiting" aren't actually waiting and are just posting that so they don't come off as a fanboy. Just admit you don't want a PSP. Actually just don't post in PSP threads and that solves it.
Nah more like they want one but just can't afford one. But yea they shouldn't post.

Tabris

marwan said:
is it true the PSP-3000 has a weaker battery?

Same but screen draws more power, so if your previous PSP lasted 4 hours playing games, this one lasts 3 hours and 30-40 minutes as an example.

The M.O.B

leehom said:
When is the PSP 3000 stand alone expected to hit shelves? I need to purchase one as a Christmas gift. If the stand alone isn't released, I'll go for the entertainment pack at the end of Nov.

So far, not one announced.

marwan

Banned
when are we going to see a firmware that allows the PSP to run DivX and Xvid? :(

and btw, how much longer does the PSP last when running games entirely from the memory stick? i just got a 16GB MSpd.....too bad 32GB isn't out yet.

Tabris

marwan said:
when are we going to see a firmware that allows the PSP to run DivX and Xvid? :(

I would pay for this functionality it's so wanted.

PSP would become the absolute perfect portable video player by far if that happened.

marwan

Banned
Tabris said:
Same but screen draws more power, so if your previous PSP lasted 4 hours playing games, this one lasts 3 hours and 30-40 minutes as an example.

and if games are running of the memory stick, it'll be obviously longer right?

does the screen make a huge difference? i have a 2000....is it worth the upgrade for the screen alone?

marwan

Banned
Tabris said:
I would pay for this functionality it's so wanted.

PSP would become the absolute perfect portable video player by far if that happened.

tell me about it, i dunno why Sony is holding back

you know what else would be cool? is if they released a firmware that would allow your UMD based games to be ripped from the PSP itself and converted into an ISO on the memory stick to be played directly from the MS :) of course with all the sony protection and crap, instead of us waiting for them to put games on the PSPstore so slowly.

DJ GT-S

Banned
Tabris said:

Wasn't this corrected later on though? Apparently powers savings were had in other components so it about evens out?

loosus said:
Put a screen in there that's not arguably worse than the one before it?

In no way is it worse than the old PSP screen. There is the interlacing issue, but that is up against the horrible ghosting of older PSP systems. The actual color option could be turned off for games that don't support it and it will look the same, but for the games that do support it (such as Dissidia) will look better since they were built that way.

It isn't perfect, but it is an improvement, albeit a small one. If I wasn't such a freak for buying Handheld SKUs I would probably pass on it.

loosus

Banned
Linkzg said:
In no way is it worse than the old PSP screen. There is the interlacing issue, but that is up against the horrible ghosting of older PSP systems. The actual color option could be turned off for games that don't support it and it will look the same, but for the games that do support it (such as Dissidia) will look better since they were built that way.

It isn't perfect, but it is an improvement, albeit a small one. If I wasn't such a freak for buying Handheld SKUs I would probably pass on it.
"Improvement" is not the word I would use. I would use the word "different," because while it does have slight improved color and admittedly less ghosting, the interlacing issue SUCKS SHIT.

Also: if you turn off the "Wide" color option, you still get the interlacing issue.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I'm going to have to agree on those interlacing issues.

I bought one and returned it today, because honestly, some games looked worse, and the ones that did look better (SFA3 to name one) weren't a huge improvement at all. I ran through Ratchet side by side and it looked slightly better on my 2000. Also, the picture had a slight yellow tint to it. (maybe it was just mine.)

Anyway, I'd suggest checking one out in person before upgrading. IMO it's not worth the 200 investment. Plus, 5.00 M33 is already out.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
loosus said:
"Improvement" is not the word I would use. I would use the word "different," because while it does have slight improved color and admittedly less ghosting, the interlacing issue SUCKS SHIT.
Can someone please quantify a bit on this supposed "interlacing" (someone with hands-on experience on the issue, not reiterating web-sites). Because again(ok, from the other thread), if it IS actual interlacing, then it's not really a hw-fault at all(I've never heard of such a thing as an LCD capable of only interlaced scan - not sure if that's even possible to be honest) and is most likely fixable by a simple FW patch.

Schrade

It's not interlacing. They're just having a hard time trying to put it into words to describe it and are using interlacing incorrectly instead.

neight

Banned
Obviously it can't be interlacing it's impossible on an LCD. But I think we all get the meaning(combing artifacts). Even if combing artifacts isn't what they mean that it has any sort of artifacting is disappointing.

kevm3

The new PSP looks ugly... I'm not a fan of the extra curves they threw on it. Maybe it's that silver color or matte finish, but it has a cheap plastic look to it. If the screen isn't significant and the Skype feature isn't all that good, I might just go get the 2000.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Whatever you call this problem, it just shows that this PSP model was rushed to market.

I am fine with the yearly updates, but at least make sure that there are standards for manufacturing the consoles. This is starting to sound like the PSP launch with the flawed LCD's with many dead pixels.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
neight said:
Obviously it can't be interlacing it's impossible on an LCD.
To my knowledge, some(many?) LCD screens are indeed capable of interlaced scan (including PSP1000 and most likely 2000, since it seems to be exactly the same). I can't speak for 3000 as I know nothing about those screens.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
kevm3 said:
The new PSP looks ugly... I'm not a fan of the extra curves they threw on it. Maybe it's that silver color or matte, but it has a cheap plastic look to it. If the screen isn't significant and the Skype feature isn't all that good, I might just go get the 2000.

The 2000 has Skype as well. Has had it for a good while, actually. The only difference is that you'll probably need to purchase a headset for it, since the 2000 lacks the 3000's onboard mic.

kevm3

How good have the PSP emulators been? I'd love to play some of the snes games I own on PSP... Yoshi's Island and FF6 for example.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
SNES emulation really hasn't come nearly as far as it should have. You can forget Yoshi's Island, and just about any game which originally features specialized hardware built into the cart. I never tested FFVI, but I imagine that it won't run all that well. Mode 7 effects tend to bring this emu to its knees with many games, and unlike most later SNES RPGs, FFVI used mode 7 for all overworld exploration, not just the airships. Still, towns, dungeons, and battles will probably run fine, with things bogging down in the overworld.

NES, GB/GBC, GBA, SMS, Genesis, PSOne, and Sega CD emulation are in pretty great shape. Not to mention a load of other, lesser systems and computers. TurboGraphx-16 support is pretty good, though proper CD emulation is still mostly lacking. But there's a new Turbo emulator currently in development that's making strides.

kevm3

Ahh that sucks. Looks like I'll be leaving the custom firmware alone then. Final question. Is it possible to rip the PSone games I own and convert them into a format the PSP can read without using custom firmware or is that only available on custom firmware?

B.K.

Pretty soon, we're going to have to find a way to identify PSPs to find a good one, just like people do with 360s.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
The interlace thing scared me so I jumped the gun on a slim. Can anyone point me to a good cover/skin? I'm pretty rough with my stuff.

B.K.

Paznos said:
Well if it's because of the new LCD screen then all of them would have it right?

Didn't the 1000 have screens from several different manufacturers? If the 3000 is the same way, there may be some good ones out there.

mollipen

Man, I was so close to replacing my PSP-1000 with a 3000, but now after seeing this new screen issue... I'm going to absolutely hold off until we know more. I love how, these days, it's nearly insane to actually expect a piece of gaming hardware to not have some sort of fucked-up part of it.

Yeah, I'm probably going to hold off on getting the 3000 until the issue is fixed. Hopefully the black units out next month are the fixed ones.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon

duckroll

Man, just when I thought Dissidia + PSP-3000 would be a great purchase in Dec, now it looks like it's just Dissidia until we can figure out wtf is going on here. Wtf Sony?! :(

Top Bottom