• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP 3000 street date broken (so's the screen, lol)

Yoschi said:
This is the best screen as far as 1000 screens can go.
You have me very very interested.

I'd like to know as much as you could tell us about this custom screen. Really no ghosting? Same quality as the original PSP screen? Is it availible for 2000 models?

I've been considering getting a PSP for a while now but couldnt decide what I wanted. On one hand I love all the things custom firmware lets you do such as play PS1 games and load multiple UMD games on a mem stick. Yet the 3000 really attracted me with its vivid screen and claims of no ghosting. Yet now that these problems have come up with the 3000's screen I dont want one & am currently in limbo as to what to do.

If I could get a 2000 and swap the screen out with one that had no ghosting I'd consider pulling the trigger right now.

Yoschi

B.K. said:
How is that screen? I'm tempted to get one.

I would love to make some footage for you, but my camera is far from good enough.
Here's a try though:

PSP_modded_screen1.jpg

It's pretty much the same screen as a 1000 or 2000 one, except the blacks are just a little bit brighter but it's hardly noticeable. How could i describe the ghosting..
okay, look at this:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R9gLAvpjMFM
The black windows trailing behind is the ghosting problems that everybody has with the psp, it was pretty much like that on my first screen. Imagine it being 90%-95% less, that's what it would be like on my actual 1000 screen. Like i said before, i have "close to" no ghosting, you have to look at it really closely to even realise that there is ghosting. I have never seen anyone with a better display than me until now, including the revised 1000 units of which i had one for 2 weeks. (I don't know anybody that changes the display of his psp as well..)

B.K. said:
I was watching some videos and it looks like it's not that hard to replace the screen.
That totally depends on your experience in dismounting stuff and putting it together again. I didn't find it too hard to change the screen, but the PSP was the most cramped thing i worked on til' now, the really managed to put loads of shit in it (poor people that had to solder modchips in them).

Keep in mind that you need a very small cross screwdriver and you may need some of this:

PSP_modded_screen3.jpg

It's some sort of foam to put around the screen so the dust won't get in easily. Like this:

PSP_modded_screen2.jpg

You sould also have some compressed air to get the dust out of the way without touching the screen or the faceplate (which is more sensible on the inside!)

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
You have me very very interested.

I'd like to know as much as you could tell us about this custom screen. Really no ghosting? Same quality as the original PSP screen? Is it availible for 2000 models?

I've been considering getting a PSP for a while now but couldnt decide what I wanted. On one hand I love all the things custom firmware lets you do such as play PS1 games and load multiple UMD games on a mem stick. Yet the 3000 really attracted me with its vivid screen and claims of no ghosting. Yet now that these problems have come up with the 3000's screen I dont want one & am currently in limbo as to what to do.

If I could get a 2000 and swap the screen out with one that had no ghosting I'd consider pulling the trigger right now.

I don't know what else to say about it. Don't expect the enhancements of the 3000 series, maybe the best thing to do is go into a store and look at one of the original 2000 or 1000 screens and see if you like them, if the color gamut etc. is ok to you. Only then i would consider buying a console and replacing the screen.
I can only tell you about the experiences i have with my 1000 screen. I know there are screens for the 2000 on eBay and such but don't know if they eliminate the ghosting issues.

hope this helped..

B.K.

Yoschi said:
That totally depends on your experience in dismounting stuff and putting it together again. I didn't find it too hard to change the screen, but the PSP was the most cramped thing i worked on til' now, the really managed to put loads of shit in it (poor people that had to solder modchips in them).

That won't be too bad. I've taken my PSP apart before to do the D-Pad mod.

Yoschi said:
I wouldn't say it quite like that. The last units of the 1000 series have all the flaws corrected that it had in the beginning. The dpad problems that you are talking about were corrected in later units, as was the screen (nearly no ghosting and definitely the best of the 3 model variations now that we know the 3000 has scanline issues).
I'm not sure if they put in a bigger battery as well, but it last longer than the 2000 or the 3000 anyway.

Your probably right. My comparison was based on my 1000 (Aus launch) vs 2000 (Aus launch). I know the d-pad on my 1000 was undeniably crap. Made games like Gradius pretty much unplayable, and I was astounded by the difference in the 2000s d-pad quality. I wasn't aware they had fixed the d-pad issue with later 1000s.

That said, I wouldn't wholesale recommend a 1000 because clearly there are many out there with the abysmal d-pad. Tread carefully potential buyers.

marwan

Banned
i saw the PSP-3000 today in a display at HMV London, not sure if the brightness was turned up, they were playing The Simpsons Movie and i did notice the scanlines, only not as bad. I'd like to get one for the mic to use with skype, but the scanline were kind of a turnoff, plus i wanted white one which they didn't have, so fuck it.

I love my PSP-2000, i just wish it had built in Bluetooth.

I got to try a 3000 yesterday and I was impressed. The interlacing thing isn's nearly as big a deal as people were making it out to be.

Anyways question time. I really dont like the silver color, and thinking about it I would love a white 3000. I'm interested in importing one from Japan, since it looks like America won't be receiving them, so I have a few questions:

Will I be able to switch the system to be in English? Also, will this Japanese PSP be able to connect to the US Playstation store?

Also if there is anything else you guys think i should know about an import unit i'd appreciate it if you let me know.

Aru

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I got to try a 3000 yesterday and I was impressed. The interlacing thing isn's nearly as big a deal as people were making it out to be.

Anyways question time. I really dont like the silver color, and thinking about it I would love a white 3000. I'm interested in importing one from Japan, since it looks like America won't be receiving them, so I have a few questions:

Will I be able to switch the system to be in English? Also, will this Japanese PSP be able to connect to the US Playstation store?

Also if there is anything else you guys think i should know about an import unit i'd appreciate it if you let me know.

The firmware is the same for all PSP, so yes you can switch the PSP to be in english and it will be able to connect to ANY PS Store (US, UK, HK, JAP or whatever you want).

Aru said:
The firmware is the same for all PSP, so yes you can switch the PSP to be in english and it will be able to connect to ANY PS Store (US, UK, HK, JAP or whatever you want).

Here is my reasoning and let me know if this sounds stupid.

I want a white PSP the most, I couldn't care less about Ratchet and Clank and it pisses me off a bit that its the only way to get a 3000. Since SCEA is refusing to sell a core unit by christmas should I just import a white one for $200? Normally I wouldnt pay an extra $30 for a different color, but if I'm stuck paying $200 I might as well get a color I want rather than a color I dont want and a crappy game.

This is where I was thinking about getting it from. Has anyone bought from here before? Do they look ok?

http://www.riolala.com/product_info...=2261&osCsid=614b768ead58f1609bdb6cdaea2b7925

However now I'm worried about a screen defect. If I import one and it comes with a dead pixel I will not be happy at all. If I bought it at my local Walmart then I could just return it no questions asked and get a new one. I remember dead pixels were a big issue when the PSP first came out, but how do they fair nowadays?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's fucking Datel, so I won't believe it until I've actually seen it. They're known for taking the work of their betters, shitting it up, spitting it out into a box, and selling it for profit.
However, if true, and the piano black 3000s are still slated to hit the US in late November, timing could not be more fortuitous.

Also, the scanline-like flaws in the PSP-3000's screen are hardware-based, not software-based.

I was in Akiba the other day and was surprised to see quite a few more PSP 3000s at the used shops than 2000s. The 3000s are even going for a lower price.

Yoschi

Mejilan said:
It's fucking Datel, so I won't believe it until I've actually seen it. They're known for taking the work of their betters, shitting it up, spitting it out into a box, and selling it for profit.
Very true, it's the first time i am actually reading about them and thinking "engineering division? I didn't know they had engineers..."

Linkzg said:
I got a call from Gamestop today saying my pre-order of the black entertainment bundle was canned. Don't know what the deal is.
Mejilan said:
What the fuck. I remember when the Amazon orders were shit-canned a month or so ago.
Speaking of which...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KMRN0M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

No image or date.

I wonder if this is by any chance a sign that they are fixing the screen secretly?

marwan

Banned
i'll wait for the PSP-4000 :D

and regarding the scanlines, Sony could easily replace the screen of the PSP-3000 quietly without any announcements, just like Nintendo replaced the GBA SP screen with a backlit (instead of the original front lit screen) one without any fuss or announcement.

Does anyone have any clue about when the black bundles will be out? The offical sony blog says sometime in december but I'd like to know when since its december in less than 2 weeks.

I decided not to import one. I would love a white PSP but none of the import places accept returns for dead pixels. I refuse to spend $200 on a handheld and put up with defects.

So I'm going to buy the black bundle at walmart, open it in my car and if it has a dead pixel then walk right back in and exchange it untill I get a good one. Then my family can give it to me for christmas.

Everyone keeps saying "wait for the 4000 man" but I'm not going to wait who knows how long for sony to "fix" the screen, if ever. The interlacing isnt that bad and worst case scenario: I get one for christmas, they release an updated "fixed" model later, I sell the 3000 I got for most of my money back & just get the new one.

B.K.

marwan said:
and regarding the scanlines, Sony could easily replace the screen of the PSP-3000 quietly without any announcements, just like Nintendo replaced the GBA SP screen with a backlit (instead of the original front lit screen) one without any fuss or announcement.

Hopefully that's what they're doing now. The Core set was supposed to be out by now. Hopefully the reason they cancelled it was so they could put new screens in the Piano Black PSPs.

Mejilan

marwan said:
i'll wait for the PSP-4000 :D

Actually, the GBA SP+ wasn't really a stealth update. Boxes with a GBA SP+ were clearly marked as having the updated hardware.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
B.K. said:
Hopefully that's what they're doing now. The Core set was supposed to be out by now. Hopefully the reason they cancelled it was so they could put new screens in the Piano Black PSPs.

It could also be the tanking economy and that they want to keep the higher end model out so that they could deal with currency fluctuations.

marwan

Banned
Mejilan said:
Actually, the GBA SP+ wasn't really a stealth update. Boxes with a GBA SP+ were clearly marked as having the updated hardware.

it was the same box with a label that said "Brighter Screen"....most people wouldn't even pay attention!

plus they only made them in charcoal grey and i think they were a bit limited since they came out towards the end of the GBA life.

EDIT: i guess you're kindda right, though the box change was subtle...

gbaspbrighterbox.jpg

gbasp01.jpg

EDIT 2: the moral of the story, Sony needs to do the same with the PSP-3000 (minus the box modification)

Mejilan

It's not a coincidence that the GBA's light is shining riiiiiiight on that rather large announcement of an improved screen. ;p

Also, timing isn't really relevant to the stealthiness (or not) of this revised hardware.

Mejilan

Do not want shitty game, shitty movie, shitty memory stick, shitty screen, and an increased price for all that shittiness.

:(

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Snipes424 said:
Sweet, I hate the silver, so I think I'm going to wait till the 15th to pick that one up.

Btw guys, what are your 2 favorite games for the PSP (only 2 please :))

Lumines...and hmmm God of War. Hard to pick 2....

suffah said:
Lumines...and hmmm God of War. Hard to pick 2....

I'd go with Lumines 2 and Crisis Core. Plenty of good choices though.

(I'm still stunned, Crisis Core made almost too much sense to be an FF7 game.)

Yoschi

Evil Sony tricks in firmware
scroll down..
Also in the f0 dump is found a 01-12-3G.bmp which can be changed to 01-12.Bmp and enjoyed by everyone. *This is one evil trick by sorny that makes the 3000 screen look SOO much better than the 1000/2000 during side by side test in xmb due to the different levels of contrast in the background images EVIL I SAY
This is ridiculous

B.K.

I'm thinking about changing the screen on my 1000, but I'd kind of like a new faceplate too. Are there any black faceplates that look good, but have a flat finish? I hate how the glossy face shows fingerprints so badly.

Yoschi

B.K. said:
I'm thinking about changing the screen on my 1000, but I'd kind of like a new faceplate too. Are there any black faceplates that look good, but have a flat finish? I hate how the glossy face shows fingerprints so badly.
in my opinion these ones are the best you can get:
smooth as silk psp 1000 faceplates

i have one of these in white (look at the pics) and i love it, they have a matte finish too so it's no fingerprint magnet. The feel of the faceplate is really nice as well :) smoooth

Schrade

DKnight said:
What's the big deal with the "scanlines". Some DS screens are like that too.
Because it's not desirable to compare display quality of the PSP with the DS. You don't want to go backwards.

P90

Snipes424 said:
Sweet, I hate the silver, so I think I'm going to wait till the 15th to pick that one up.

Btw guys, what are your 2 favorite games for the PSP (only 2 please :))

NeoGAF Stat Wars
FF VII: Crisis Core

Top Bottom