• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
longdi said:
does it have a touch screen? i think now the emerging standards for handheld is to have touch input. sony is wasting a redesign and premium one somemore, if it does not have touch input. not so appealing.

What games on the PSP do you think needs touch screen controls? Seriously. People act like touch screen is the most badass awesome input device! Touch input is super overrated. It's nice to have, my cellphone has it, but damn I would never put down a device because it didn't have it. It's nowhere near a necessity.

Epcott

25gdvl1.jpg

This Thread

Seriously, what the hell is up with Kotaku and 1up? Must be a slow day in their offices :lol

Personally it looks very bad aesthetically, I was expecting more from Sony design-wise. Maybe some hands-on during E3 may change my mind.

Love all the leaks, no mention of touch-screen?

Thrakier

I agree the silver circles should go. It looks ok actually and if it's small and very lite it could be sexy. However if there is no chance to get your umds on this thing (via PS3 or whatever) when I won't buy. IF there is a chance... <3

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OK, checking the gallery now..the shots in the OP and off-screen shots aren't very flattering at all by comparison. They wash out the colour and finish pretty badly. The back of it looks grey-ish on those shots, whereas in the actual ones they're a proper black.

So I wouldn't judge it at all by those. Seeing it 'properly', and particularly in the segment where they were talking about it, it looks way way better.

Shawn128

Did I hear that right? Did he say rent or buy at the beginning of that youtube video?

edit: whoops, think he was talking about movies there, not games lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
BulletSmoke said:
Love all the leaks, no mention of touch-screen?

Yup, it's touchscreen - they're just not mentioning it anywhere because they want to surprise everyone at E3 when someone play with a demo unit for the first time.

Mega-Megaton!!

LCfiner

Adam Prime said:
What games on the PSP do you think needs touch screen controls? Seriously. People act like touch screen is the most badass awesome input device! Touch input is super overrated. It's nice to have, my cellphone has it, but damn I would never put down a device because it didn't have it. It's nowhere near a necessity.

For media playback. it would be handy to navigate the XMB without having to slide open the device and use the buttons.

right now, the device is nonusable in closed mode. it's a missed opportunity considering this smaller redesign is aimed at new devices like the Zune HD and ipod touch.

gantz85

Banned
Raist said:
From the youtube vid. (00:56)

2me5ok0.jpg

It.. doesn't look that much smaller than a regular PSP, although its measurements and design tells us it should. Can't wait to actually see them side by side.

yeah, wtf? I can download the episode of Qore right now.

Y2Kev said:
Wouldn't it be amazing if these games were available at E3 launch? :D

Like IN STORES NOW! ON THE WEB NOW! F off PSP Ho, you ugly and busted. gimme the fruits of your labor

I would buy a PSP-3000 if they did that. Truth talk. I already have a 1000 and 2000 too.

squicken

Maybe they made it blocky and ugly intentionally. You don't give a sleek piece of electronics to a kid. You give him an ugly piece of crap Nintendo handheld, b/c it's built like a tank. Maybe Sony is going that route with this?

Shawn128 said:
Did I hear that right? Did he say rent or buy at the beginning of that youtube video?

edit: whoops, think he was talking about movies there, not games lol

Wasnt there news of a games rental thing Sony has planned this week..

gofreak said:
Subtle but maybe important point: Dude says that Go might be for the consumer who's looking for something 'more premium'. So maybe more expensive than psp-3000? Price cut on the 3000 and then this at the current psp price?

He said that when talking about all the DLC stuff in comparison to the UMD's, which gave me the impression that he just meant premium in the sense of being ready to download lots of stuff right away. He even said that there will be some games only available through download.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Linkzg said:
yeah, wtf? I can download the episode of Qore right now.

I would buy a PSP-3000 if they did that. Truth talk. I already have a 1000 and 2000 too.
What if they fucked up and this episode was supposed to come out NEXT WEEK?! Since Qore comes out the first Thursday of every month right? :lol :lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
LCfiner said:
For media playback. it would be handy to navigate the XMB without having to slide open the device and use the buttons.

right now, the device is nonusable in closed mode. it's a missed opportunity considering this smaller redesign is aimed at new devices like the Zune HD and ipod touch.

Good point, good point. I overlooked that. I was looking at it from the gaming perspective, since I rarely use my PSP for anything non-gaming related (music, video, photos).

However, I still say that is not a make or break thing that goes into someone purchasing the device. Not buying a PSP because of no touchscreen is like saying I'm not buying a Nintendo DS because it doesn't have an analog stick or more buttons.

squicken said:
Maybe they made it blocky and ugly intentionally. You don't give a sleek piece of electronics to a kid. You give him an ugly piece of crap Nintendo handheld, b/c it's built like a tank. Maybe Sony is going that route with this?

It might look like shit but If i drop the psp go............

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I know I won't be as hasty to judge this as others seem to be, at least. Seeing crappy photos of the hardware vs holding it myself, there can be a lot of difference (both in looks and how the button layout feels). For now, I'm glad it exists. E3 will be interesting. :)

Raist

Banned
gantz85 said:
It.. doesn't look that much smaller than a regular PSP, although its measurements and design tells us it should. Can't wait to actually see them side by side.

Shell around the screen is smaller than for the 3000, and the GO screen is small as well so...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MechaX said:
You know, given that Portable Ops controls were absolutely garbage combined with how the PSP Go seems to exacerbate some pre-existing issues, for some reason, I'm just not that excited for this.
The MGS saga, it continues.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Gattsu25 said:
Yeah, I think it's ugly.

I'm downloading Qore now though, so I guess I'll know if it's real or not soon enough

The YouTube video has already been posting in this thread, it's real.

gtj1092

Somnid said:
I thought it was confirmed at the first unveiling of the PSP and just took forever to get here?

Apparently someone is actually playing it this time. So maybe only 2 years till it is released this time:D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Putting up an official sony-produced video on an official sony-sanctioned store for play on an official sony-designed device is not a leak. It might have been accidentally released early, but it's not a leak. It might be botched PR, but it's not a leak.

In another thread, I heard someone claiming that an actual company-issued E3 press release was a "leak". Use your brain cells, people.

WKC footage is not a leak. Heavy Rain footage is not a leak. The Trico footage may have been a leak or it may have been an intentional release. This is not a leak--it may have been released early by accident, but it is not a leak.

Also, for reference, when you read some article on a blog where some no one says what he thinks, it's not a rumour. It's speculation. A rumour is when someone claims to be saying something that is factually true, but you can't verify what they're saying or vouch for their credibility. If I say "I think MS will launch a new console this year", that's speculation. If I say "Internal sources tell me that MS will launch a new console this year", that's a rumour.

It's pitiful that supposedly literate, English-speaking adults have a difficult time figuring this stuff out.

harSon

Banned
Kaako said:
What if they fucked up and this episode was supposed to come out NEXT WEEK?! Since Qore comes out the first Thursday of every month right? :lol :lol

I don't think they're dumb enough to purposely leak a Qore episode with a bunch of things they'd be announcing at e3 in 2 days.

iammeiam

squicken said:

While I don't think the Lite or DSi fall into ugly territory, the DS Phat really, really did.

It also did something vitally important in that it provided a built-in way to protect the screens whenever the device was not in use. The DS family protects itself.

The PSP Go protects the controls and leaves the giant screen exposed; this is not a kid-friendly proposition unless the screen is virtually scratchproof.

Wollan

16GB internal memory (Memory Stick slot still there)
Bluetooth (no usb wires to PS3 anymore)
New design (obviously)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
harSon said:
I don't think they're dumb enough to purposely leak a Qore episode with a bunch of things they'd be announcing at e3 in 2 days.
PSN monkey man, it has a brain of its own!

LCfiner

Adam Prime said:
Good point, good point. I overlooked that. I was looking at it from the gaming perspective, since I rarely use my PSP for anything non-gaming related (music, video, photos).

However, I still say that is not a make or break thing that goes into someone purchasing the device. Not buying a PSP because of no touchscreen is like saying I'm not buying a Nintendo DS because it doesn't have an analog stick or more buttons.

I think we need to see how Sony markets it. if they push it as just a smaller PSP (as shown on that Qore video) with core games then you're right. the touchscreen stuff doesn't matter.

but... if they start to talk up all the media playback (as they did when first showing the PSP) then people will start to put two and two together and realize that it will be more cumbersome to use this than the MS and Apple offerings.

squicken said:

That's what I'm thinking. This is based off the new PS3 Slim logo too. Looks not nearly as sleek as before.

Top Bottom