• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

i think it would be cool though if they could fit all categories of the xmb on one screen so that you could scroll each one almost like a column in a slot machine with swipes of the finger. but when you want to go to big categories like ps store or maybe even your games folder, those sections would fill the whole screen and be more columns/rows you could swipe. i really like the look of the xmb so i think just modding it like that could be really cool.

ZoddGutts

jiggle said:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/topics/2011/03/01/flying_get/

Following last week's in-depth feature on 3DS, this week's Famitsu has a feature on Sony's new NGP portable.

Included in the feature is some commentary from many third party VIPs. Here's some of what has leaked out from the commentary:

Square Enix's Yoshinori Kitase

Sega's Satoshi Sakai (aka Mr. Phantasy Star)

Crafts & Meister's Noritaka Funamizu

Namco Bandai's Katsuhiro Harada (aka Mr. Tekken)

Konami's Akari Uchida (aka Mr. Love Plus)

Level-5's Jiro Ishii (aka Mr. Time Travelers)

The feature also has commentary from Suda 51, Jun Takeuchi (Capcom), Hiroyuki Kobayashi (Capcom), Toshihiro Nagoshi (Sega), Hiroshi Matsuyama (CyberConnect2), Yoshifumi Hashimoto (Marvelous), Yousuke Hayashi (Tecmo/Team Ninja) and others.

comments in link
:lol at namco
not expecting much from Lv5 if Hino doesn't even bother to comment on the thing

One of the developers says he thinks I'll cost ¥24,980= $300. Here's hoping he's right.

jiggle

ZoddGutts said:
One of the developers says he thinks I'll cost ¥24,980= $300. Here's hoping he's right.
looking at the list at hachimaki
almost all of them took a stab at guessing the price
seems like ¥30,000 is the most popular guess
a couple of ¥40,000 ones @.@;

OneMoreQuestion said:
I tend to just hold the directional button until I reach the option I want, maybe I just have a knack for the timing.

It's a ton of travel and navigation regardless. I like XMB but it's a little ridiculous to use now. I would have liked a more XMB-like UI for NGP but I understand the decision.

jhawk6

MoxManiac said:
$300 would be amazing. Considering the specs and feature-set it would be day one for me at that price.

300 would be a great target to shoot for, they should really pull out all the stops and make it happen. Would definitely be bringing some competition to the 3DS at that price point.

btkadams

darkwing said:
yeah $299 would be the best price, but we know its not going to be $299 :(
Industry people are saying 300. Lots of people on GAF have also guessed 300. Many leaks from "supposed" sony people have said 300.

Why do you "know" it won't be 300? It's seeming more likely than other rumoured prices.

darkwing

btkadams said:
Industry people are saying 300. Lots of people on GAF have also guessed 300. Many leaks from "supposed" sony people have said 300.

Why do you "know" it won't be 300? It's seeming more likely than other rumoured prices.

its a Sony

darkwing said:
its a Sony

I think people predicting $300 already consider that it's a Sony. after PS3 and PSP Go, you'd think people speculating will already inflate their expectation of Sony pricing a little? don't forget that we're speculating on the base model here, not the premium SKU

Keep in mind as well that a base model of 299 is a lot more plausible when they have already announced a tarted up version that will cost much, much more. Sony isn't stupid, they learned from apple about multiple models and price points.

Acrylic7

Any speculation on the price of software? $$5-25 would be a sweet spot for a download only device. Sorry but I cant pay over $40 for a handheld game unless its Pokemon or an lengthy RPG.
Any thoughts?

Spiegel

Acrylic7 said:
Any speculation on the price of software? $$5-25 would be a sweet spot for a download only device. Sorry but I cant pay over $40 for a handheld game unless its Pokemon or an lengthy RPG.
Any thoughts?

NGP is not a download only device

MightyKAC

Acrylic7 said:
Any thoughts?

40 to 50 bucks is what I'd imagine for full retail games and all psn compatible releases will no doubt remain the same.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Acrylic7 said:
Any thoughts?

It's not a download only device.

But between downloadable and high end retail games, the price range for games will be anything from low-single-digits to $50, I guess. Hopefully $40 at the high end as seems standard on PSP, but I am guessing some pubs will push things.

darkwing

Acrylic7 said:
Any thoughts?

can't see why it should be more expensive than PSP games

MightyKAC

Boney said:
It really shouldn't, but they'll try to charge more and see if it sticks.

I swear to god if this "HD tax" bullshit carries over to handheld gaming I'm gonna fucking choke somebody.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Acrylic7 said:
Isn't the umd removed?

Yes, but they're using 'game cards' - flash-based cartridges - as their medium for retail delivered games on NGP.

It sounds like all games will be made available on their digital store also, but the usual $40 games will be at retail on those cards also.

Acrylic7

gofreak said:
Yes, but they're using 'game cards' - flash-based cartridges - as their medium for retail delivered games on NGP.

It sounds like all games will be made available on their digital store also, but the usual $40 games will be at retail on those cards also.
Oh, okay
I was under the impression that the cards would be used the same way as flash drives, or memory sticks. I thought that you would only be able to download the games from psn straight to the cartridges.
Thats my bad.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Apparently Destination PlayStation is going on at the moment, and Sony brought some NGPs. That is according to Twitter. So maybe some people might have impressions from it.

If they're bringing it to DPS I am sure they'll have some at GDC for select press at appointments.

lupinko

IonicSnake said:
I think the premium model will just have 3G.

Just this, although 3G is starting to look a little bit more tempting.

But I don't want to be stuck on a contract for 3G, but Rogers will let me add another 3G device for just $10 more, hmmm.

Acrylic7 said:
Oh, okay
I was under the impression that the cards would be used the same way as flash drives, or memory sticks. I thought that you would only be able to download the games from psn straight to the cartridges.
Thats my bad.

There's two slots on the top, one is for games and another is memory stick style, but uses a new proprietry format too. They haven't gone into this in much detail yet.

lupinko

gofreak said:
They could (and I think probably will) differentiate that SKU further with larger internal storage.

I know this may sound crazy, but I would pay a bit for a non-contract 3G NGP with internal storage. /homer simpson drool

If they do release a 3G model with larger storage and it isn't that much more expensive I'd definitely be inclined to grab that.

Though I suppose it's highly like they'll just update the SKUs later on with higher-storage models.

btkadams

lupinko said:
Just this, although 3G is starting to look a little bit more tempting.

But I don't want to be stuck on a contract for 3G, but Rogers will let me add another 3G device for just $10 more, hmmm.
yeah, i don't think i'll get the 3G model unless it does more than just web-browsing. if it works with a lot of features like multiplayer then i will be extremely tempted and will probably bite on the premium.

Takao

Banned
darkwing said:
its a Sony

3/4 platforms Sony has launched were released at $299 or less. There's only 1 platform that broke that pattern, and it's the platform that burned a huge hole in the company and is the least successful. I doubt they'll ever want to repeat that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There were a couple of other middleware announcements today, Vicious Engine and Autodesk's HumanIK 2012.

On another note there's apparently a 'NGP party' being hosted by Sony in GDC-land tonight, to show off the hardware. Maybe they'll bring something new to show people...or more likely just the same stuff they were letting the press play at the January event, but you never know.

turnbuckle

yencid said:
if it did come out at 300 i would hold off buying a 3ds and wait for this...

Just the announcement of the NGP has me holding off on the 3DS. I was already leaning that direction but seeing the NGP kinda sealed the deal for me. Will almost surely get the first revision of the 3DS though.

If this is $299 it's a no-brainer for me. If it's $349 I'll have to see what it comes with. Anything more than that and I'll just hold tight until revisions and price drops for both portables come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom