• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Price: $399/399/£349/¥44,980, no camera/move, launching October

They need to make sure people understand the camera is required or a lot of people wil be extra bummed if they unpack their 400 bucks device and fuck all works.
Yes because the enthusiasts are going to run out and pay $400 dollars on a vr headset without knowing about it first

Again, the camera's is pretty cheap, at less than 15$ to manufacture. They could have easily included it at 399$ and still have a good profit margin.
Dont try to excuse shitty moves.

Thats implying they couldnt include it and sell at the same price. Which, well, they could.

I am waiting for your detailed breakdown of the cost to manufacure of it all to prove your point.

If they included the camera people who already have one would bitch about having to buy it twice...

Exactly.

And the purchase of a camera unlocks its own unique set of features, for streaming and stuff like Playroom. It is its own value proposition. That's why so many people bought them that they were in pretty short supply for the first year of PS4.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Not really, at least not from the perspective I'm looking at this: in the end, the vast majority of VR development will focus either on traditional controls, or fully tracked independent VR controllers.

The fact that PSVR does not ship out of the box with the latter reduces its spread to only Vive owners, and those who buy into additional peripherals for Rift (Touch) or PSVR (Move).

I think that's a huge shame. I was really counting on PSVR helping to boost that VR controller base.
No matter how many words you choose to draw this out on you were simply incorrect in your initial statement and if your development concern where the first priority then my post was the wrong jumping off point at best and intentionally spreading FUD at worst.

Minions

Glad it is not a forced bundle. Already picked up the camera when it was $25 at dell, and have the move controllers from the PS3. $399 is a good price for the headset.

Piggus

Already have the Move controllers somewhere behind my TV covered in a protective layer of dust. The camera can be had for almost nothing.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Sony ends up including the camera if people complain enough though.

aren't there only 5 states with no sales tax

"try harder" lmfao

I couldn't care less about the other 45.

No rotational or positional tracking. Essentially just a tv screen strapped to your face without it.

Positional tracking. Seen those light blue stripes the PSVR has on it?

It uses those to track it in 3D space, much like the Move did.

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up. I'll just wait to pick it up down the line once the PSVR comes out. Even if the price is raised I value liquid cash on hand more than saving some money.

For everyone complaining about the camera, if you really plan on purchasing PSVR that's not a problem. There are already plenty of people that picked up a camera already and you can just go and pick one up, I'm sure you can find one for a good price considering how long it has been on the market.

Was sitting on $30 something in gift card credit at amazon which has it on sale.

$16 and change was my total out of pocket.

Will sit in box till october.

Nzyme32

I have the camera from Day One and I have two moves (and two navigations) from my PS3.

399 is a GREAT price for me.

Oculus and VIVE... RIP.

Indeed it is a great price - but I thoroughly expect the "Oculus and VIVE... RIP" to be complete nonsense. If you think otherwise, it shows a complete lack of understanding of the difference between the two markets and what Oculus and Vive need to accomplish in a PC ecosystem vs PSVR.

Expect Oculus and Vive to sell less than PSVR, seems pretty likely, but that is thoroughly expected as PC VR isn't going outside of enthusiasts and industry till PC hardware drops in price and headset prices drop over the next few years along with new competing hardware. For example, Oculus is happy to call selling 1 million Rifts in the entire lifetime of the product, as a success.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Good on Sony for this price point, but honestly I have next to no interest in VR and if I do jump on board, it'll be 3-5 years down the line. If anyone can bring VR to the masses sooner-than-later though, it'll be Sony.

Sakura

People will be able to pay less this way depending on what they already own. If there was only one bundle with the camera and moves at - say - 499, it would be more expensive than it needs to be for some people. A headset only sku is a necessity if they want to lower the price as much as possible for those who already have the camera, moves etc.

My all in price will probably be 450 with the accessories I already have. That's better than the 'full' bundle is likely to be, thanks to a headset only option.

The camera is very cheap to manufacture, and it is required to use the thing. They could've just bundled it in at the 399 price point and say moves are sold separately. A camera wouldn't jack the price by 50 or 100 dollars.

Hasney

Maybe we see a $429 bundle with camera and a $399 without.

Potentially, but with Amazon UK already warning that numbers will be limited, it may not happen before launch. They may just sell out the solus units and wait until all pre-orders are completed however long that takes before doing value bundles.

prwxv3

There will be a bundle with the camera. Forcing people that already own the camera to buy it again would be stupid.

Why would the price drop before the next iteration of PSVR for PS5? What incentive does Sony have to lower the price, when they already announced that manufacturing is gonna run into problems due to high demand?

The same reason PS4 or anything drops in price to drive adoption, what you think it will stay 399 forever? LMAO. Not saying right away but it will as time goes on.

Kill3r7

Nailed the price. Might pick it up in a couple of years after it takes off. I have been burned too many times with peripherals and furthermore I am not sure how VR would fit/impact my life.

they really need gloves iwth lights that recognize opening and closing your hands as well as trigger presses.. makes no sense to use move controllers when you could do it that way

Dinjooh

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up. I'll just wait to pick it up down the line once the PSVR comes out. Even if the price is raised I value liquid cash on hand more than saving some money.

I'm sure NeoGAF will warn you if there's some good deal on it at some point, now that people know that they haven't bundled it to begin with.

6 million?!

That's a great LTD figure, if true.

Indeed, wasn't Move only the double of that?

VanWinkle

I'll be very interested in seeing how well this does. While it's cheaper than the other VR solutions, it's still way above a typical mainstream price for an accessory. Should be a very interesting holiday season.

If you think $400 for VR is expensive why do people even care about it?

Think of the first iPhone, first Blu Ray players, etc. There will always be a gigantic cost attached to new product lines like this. I don't know why so many are playing the sad card.

That said...I called price a long time ago, and have all 4 of my original move controllers bundled in some boxs somewhere with my PS4 camera. See mom! Not getting rid of the junk I don't use paid off!

Either way today was a good day. Day 1 for me.

Elios83

It's a good price for early adopters especially for those who already have the camera, but it's not mainstream and they need to provide great games to make the product appealing.
Clearly Sony has an advantage over the competition which is priced totally out of market.
But the risk is being king of a niche/fad which will end up like 3D glasses or Vita.

Top Bottom