• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Price: $399/399/£349/¥44,980, no camera/move, launching October

So if they release a sku with a camera bundled in for an extra $50 you will be ok?

Yes, since I'll have to pay it anyways might as ell be packed in.

People will be able to pay less this way depending on what they already own. If there was only one bundle with the camera and moves at - say - 499, it would be more expensive than it needs to be for some people. A headset only sku is a necessity if they want to lower the price as much as possible for those who already have the camera, moves etc.

My all in price will probably be 450 with the accessories I already have. That's better than the 'full' bundle is likely to be, thanks to a headset only option.

I mean they can make 2 bundles or even 3.

I can understand the argument of people already having the camera, and you are right to not want to pay for it again. But the first bundle you announce is not the one without all the necessary hardware to make the experience work. Today is the day that's getting all the media coverage. Today is the day that's getting all the hype and when all the news articles will be written. You should come out upfront with the full bundle as your main SKU, then later announce options for people who already have Move controllers and a camera. Doing it this way just means that the general consumer will be confused when they hear all about "Playstation VR" and then buy it and get pissed off that it doesn't work. It seems like they willingly are opening themselves up to market confusion just so they could get on stage and say $399.

mephixto

Banned
That was the price I expected from the PSVR, hope it does well and on the PS4. But for me the I still had to choose between the Vive and the Rift, maybe the first one that ships to my country will be the one.

I also have a PS4 but I barely turn it on, last time I did was for Bloodborne, I have no plans to buy a PSVR.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/03/15/playstation-vr-launching-october-for-399/

And now that I think about it. This is a Sony peripheral. Support for this is gonna die faster than you can say Virtual Insanity.

Sony are investing money in software, but the fundamental difference this time is indie devs. As long as VR is doing well, the software produced for OR and Vive will be ported to PSVR, which will ensure continued support even if Sony doesn't back it with a ton of AAA first party games.

Frodo

So, the prices is actually $499, right? Unless you already have the camera and move, size the camera is a requirement for it to work, did I get it right?

ekim

I am amazed at how many people are just now finding out that the camera is required

for head tracking, right? They should write that on the box come October or people will be confused when it's not working correctly if the Headset still works but without head tracking.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Price isn't too bad. As someone with two Moves I'm glad I can get the headset standalone, I'll just pick the camera up sometime soon, but no SKU that includes at least the camera is BS.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
LOL at all those that said it would be $299.

I called it at £349. It's reasonable.

DiracSea

Banned
The same reason PS4 or anything drops in price to drive adoption, what you think it will stay 399 forever? LMAO. Not saying right away but it will as time goes on.

The PS4 has lots of competition. PSVR has not.

And again, people DID expect this to be the start of VR as a mainstream form of entertainment. At 399, it priced itself out of that.

barit

Do people really want move controllers that badly for this? Between them not really being much better than they've ever been (last gen's waggle in other words) I'm perfectly fine with just having a VR display and a regular PS4 controller for my mitts. But then again I'm not a VR true believer, so the full bodied immersion fantasy doesn't fire me up the way it does for some.

I'll worry about arm simulation once the ones that work really well become cheaper

Don't underestimate the importance to actually hold something in your hand in VR. Yes people will want these Move controllers very quickly when you can simulate a real lightsaber/lasergun with it. Gamepads are sup-optimal for these kinds of experiences. You don't play your typical VR games with two analog sticks and 16+ buttons

Not including the camera is a silly move. Anyone who gets this thing home before realising they need a camera too is not going to have a great first impression of VR. They were obviously desperate to come in under $400 for the PR.

ZarKryn7

What are we expecting this thing to sell like?

I'm expecting super niche out of the gate.

I doubt it. Since now that all the SCE divisions will be unified into SIE along with SCEE doing the marketing (SCEA ads and marketing campaigns are abysmal), it should be probably be at a little dar from the nichw area.

Wagram

I can't wait for the crap gamer emergency podcast about how terrible this is. I need a 2 hour session of crazies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Just as dumb as Nintendo not including chargers needed to make their products work. Eating the minimal cost in order for everyone to be happy would be worth it. Sure, you'll have a few people already owning the camera, but it's not worth making it an inconvenience for everyone else.

£350 to play Bloodborne, Yakuza 0 and Persona 5 in 'VR', yes please.

That is all I wanted from a VR headset. What I tried at the Eurogamer Expo was £350 worth I think.

Acrylic7

Oh wow so no Camera and move?

This was the initial problem with move last gen. Hey here is the Move and the PS EYE, Hey you also need the navigation controller but its sold separately. Why?
I don't want to buy extra shit separately, just give people everything out of the damn box. Even if the price goes up at least the person has everything lol.

At least offer a bundle for people who don't have any of the things.

TheBear

Weird that it needs a camera but it isn't bundled.

But fuck yes at that price. Staring down the barrel of $1200 aud for VR was ridiculous, this is much more palatable. See y'all in october!

Expected price, but not coming with a camera is pretty shitty IMO. Sure it's already out there, but not being functional out of the box at $400 leaves a bad taste in my taste IMO. Still need to see the actual games like Ace Combat before I jump in.

HardRojo

There will be a bundle with the camera. Forcing people that already own the camera to buy it again would be stupid.

Yeah, I'm positive we'll see more info regarding bundles at E3. They just wanted the initial impression of $399 to stick for a while.

By the time this launches, I doubt the hardest of the hardcore willing to buy this on day one will be confused about camera needs, and after some penetration they can include it for the same 'desired' price.

Trago

I doubt it. Since now that all the SCE divisions will be unified into SIE along with SCEE doing the marketing (SCEA ads and marketing campaigns are abysmal), it should be probably be at a little dar from the nichw area.

I think they'll drop the price if it doesn't meet Sony's expectations.

Top Bottom