• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR will pass through 4K but not HDR to your 4KTV

Jeez. Sony really is half assing this 4k HDR thing.

Kind of surprising they are dropping the ball considering how tied at the hip PlayStation historically has been with pushing new TVs

cakely

So, you need to swap a cable to get HDR when you're not using the PSVR breakout box.

It's a little inconvenient, but I'm just not feeling the outrage.

5taquitos

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but.. does this only matter for other people in the room watching you game? Why would I care about feeding anything through to my TV from the PSVR in any other case?

You are misreading. This is for when you're playing a non-VR game that supports HDR when the breakout box is connected. The HDR signal will not be transferred through the box.

To be more clear, the breakout box is supposed to be always connected, even when you're not using VR. It will pass the HDMI signal through normally when playing a non-VR game. Unfortunately, it won't pass HDR signal.

persoannly, don't care. But I will say this whole 4k HDR thing has gotten insanely confusing. At this point pretty much want to just say fuck it and wait until a tv standard is settled upon. There's just too much HDR 4k, vr shit going around now. I love this stuff and can follow for the most part, but with all the new stuff going around my head is spinning.

timmyp53

I just assumed you would unplug it if you weren't going to play a vr game. What am I missing here. Is it a big deal to not having HDR passed through the VR headset?

Seems like a small inconvenience to me. Only thing I can relate it too is having to take off 3D glasses and reconfiguring tv etc. None of this tech will be seamless for awhile.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Can we NOT conflate wide-color-gamut of a display with dynamic range of the rendered images when discussing software? Virtually every console game for past decade has supported HDR, and VR games aren't any exception.
The screen tech catching up doesn't suddenly reset a decade of software progress.
Ok. To experience HDRV VR games, you'll still need a 10bit HDR enabled screen though no? As far as I know, none of the current VR screens offer that? Or do they?

So, you need to swap a cable to get HDR when you're not using the PSVR breakout box.

It's a little inconvenient, but I'm just not feeling the outrage.
Inconvenience? Definitely. Enough to have an actual outrage over? Lol fuck no.

score01

Unless they can update the fw on the breakout box this is fucked up. Who wants to be dicking about connecting/disconnecting cables all the time.

Fix your shit Sony.

FHIZ

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but.. does this only matter for other people in the room watching you game? Why would I care about feeding anything through to my TV from the PSVR in any other case?
I believe you need to plug into the breakout box regardless if you want anything displayed on your tv or not.

5taquitos

I just assumed you would unplug it if you weren't going to play a vr game. What am I missing here. Is it a big deal to not having HDR passed through the VR headset?

Seems like a small inconvenience to me. Only thing I can relate it too is having to take off 3D glasses and reconfiguring tv etc. None of this tech will be seamless for awhile.

This has nothing to do with the headset, and everything to do with the breakout box. The breakout box is designed to always be connected, even when not playing in VR.

0racle

Basically you do this and solved... and you need to change from "HDMi 1:VR social screen signal" to "HDMi 2:pS4 HDR signal"

7SjcMco.jpg

WTF @ that picture. I always knew PSVR involved a lot of wires, but wow that puts things in prospective.

krae_man

My guess is a HDR pass through capable breakout box will be standard as soon as they can add that change into the production line(maybe wait for the cost of production to go down if adding HDR pass through adds to cost significantly).

jrcbandit

This is highly incompetent of Sony and does show that the Pro is an after thought since their VR device wasn't even designed with it in mind at all. Who knows if a splitter will properly split hdmi 2.0a and output HDR. This problem could have easily been avoided if they had dual HDMI output on the Pro if there is some technical limitation on the breakout box that prevented them from revising it too allow HDR passthrough. Maybe Sony just doesn't give a f@@@ and didn't care about revising the breakout box lol.

Stike

I have a 4K HDR TV and the PS4 Pro is on preorder.

I wanted to get PSVR soon afterwards, but this is a terrible annoyance, and a dealbreaker for me.

I will wait for a hardware revision of PSVR or the breakout box then. Your loss, Sony, really.

timmyp53

This has nothing to do with the headset, and everything to do with the breakout box. The breakout box is designed to always be connected, even when not playing in VR.

I meant passed through PSVR unit as a whole not the headset.

Having it plugged out when not playing in VR seems pretty reasonable and simple to me.
Not seeing the big deal. What is going to be the percentage of people who even have a PSVR , a PS4pro, a 4k tv(one that supports hdr), and the knowhow to see the benefits of having hdr passed through the vr box?

It's not even that complex.

It's not complex, but it's certainly a lot of wires to connect. I'm dreading hooking all that up but I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who massively did an overhaul of cable management and now have to neatly integrate all that in. It's nothing if I want to leave everything in a messy state, but no way am I going back to that.

UrbanRats

Basically you do this and solved... and you need to change from "HDMi 1:VR social screen signal" to "HDMi 2:pS4 HDR signal"

7SjcMco.jpg
So that's 2 HDMI slots just to use the ps4.
Now add another one because the ps4 doesn't have a uhd player, so you need another device plugged to the TV... Nice thinking on their part.
Not to mention if you're using a Samsung TV with a separated connector box, you're gonna have quite the busy knot of cables and extra boxes under your TV.

Guymelef

So that's 2 HDMI slots just to use the ps4.
Now add another one because the ps4 doesn't have a uhd player, so you need another device plugged to the TV... Nice thinking on their part.
Not to mention if you're using a Samsung TV with a separated connector box, you're gonna have quite the busy knot of cables and extra boxes under your TV.

Add another to connect PC because PS4 doesn't have Windows.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Garrett Hawke said:
Aren't current textures only 8 bit tho?
That depends on what data is stored in them. Majority of what gets used by real-time renderers isn't actually dynamic-range data - we've stopped baking luminance into color-maps a long time ago. Exceptions are things like sky-boxes, where usage of HDR data is fairly common.

Kaako said:
As far as I know, none of the current VR screens offer that? Or do they?
Not to my knowledge, but it's still worth noting that because of the nature of how HMD displays are viewed (occluding all external light), and adding in the lens-optics, effects of brightness changes are quite different from conventional display viewing conditions (less need to achieve the same kind of luminance levels specified by Dolby standard for instance).
Obviously - expanding actual color range will still matter, but my point was that for most VR software, that'll be a simple patch away also.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Having it plugged out when not playing in VR seems pretty reasonable and simple to me.
Not seeing the big deal. What is going to be the percentage of people who even have a PSVR , a PS4pro, a 4k tv(one that supports hdr), and the knowhow to see the benefits of having hdr passed through the vr box?

Pro isn't even needed, since all PS4s support HDR for games now.

And no, I disagree. Leaving it plugged in to easily switch between VR and traditional gaming was exactly most would have done.
Now I have to switch this cable and breakout box out each time? Ugh.

It's definitely an annoyance and you would think they would have thought about this beforehand and just have it pass through all information.

NewDust

It's not merely the fact that VR breakout box has to be unplugged, but also that the PS4 (not necisarilly Pro) has to be reconnected to the TV/Receiver. Peoples setup vary wildly, and for some that might be an issue. Getting a splitter (we don't know if that will work correctly) or a HDMI extension cable, might diminish these issues, but nonetheless it's still an annoyance, not matter how small.

UrbanRats

Add another to connect PC because PS4 doesn't have Windows.
Yeah because that's the same thing.
Ps4p could've easily had an uhd player (infact, it was basically expected by a lot of people), asking for it to have windows isn't remotely comparable.
But as someone who connects his PC to the TV, yeah, having to waste HDMI ports for this bullshit is annoying.

Wth Sony???! One thing after another!!! Sheesh gimme a break.

Did I do it right?

Nope, you forgot "pre-order cancelled".

I think it's a design flaw, not a big deal of course, but still a stupid one. Even if there is a workaround using a $20 HDMI switch, we still have to spend that $20 now because Sony wanted to save a couple of cents per unit.

grendelrt

So basically the box doesn't conform to hdmi 2.0a spec. Really stupid decision by Sony, I am still running 1080p right now, but will probably move to 4k eventually. This and the no uhd player are stupid decisions. And I have both on pre order so I guess I am an asshole contributing to the problem lol.

ElNino

Except you won't need a PS4 Pro to have HDR as any PS4 should work (via firmware).

Sure, the number of people with a new TV capable of utilizing HDR isn't huge (yet), but it still seems strange that the box won't pass through the signal if it is capable of 4K.

FHIZ

So the PSVR processor unit is basically used for 3D audio and putting the image on TV correct?

Would it be possible to just hook up the USB for the 3D audio and not worry about the external display, thus avoiding splitters or plugging and unplugging cables or is the HDMI to the PU required either way?

Seems like this one doesn't support 10-bit (and thus, HDR).

Hmm yeah, I guess I was looking at the Q/A section and got the first response mixed up with actual info.

Top Bottom