• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts PC Demo

Alex

I love all the casual dialogue spread throughout. Kid on the plane made me laugh.

It's funny, I wasn't pumped at all prior, but I'll likely preorder now. That was probably the best demo I've ever played. Really sold the game well, IMO.

joshschw

haha, great game, I must get this now. its only $29 for PC? I'll grab that version then, it played great with a PS2 controller.

FoneBone

I think I'm sold on it... it actually played decently, even with a keyboard. Though that may change when I get more powers, etc...

hooo

boooy
=/ worked with neither of my ps2 to pc adapters and a range of controllers. Guess I'll just wait for the xbox version. sigh...

Mrbob

Bizzdiddilybumpa for this thread! I need to make sure this is near the top when I get home so I can download this demo! Can't wait to play it! Positive buzz already in the thread! :D

Memles

nitewulf said:
bah, my laptop wont run this. i'm gonna have to go for the xbox version.

I got infinitely luckier...it runs it pretty darn well. The synch in the cutscenes is off, but the gameplay is fine.

It's a lot of fun, it really is. Neat atmosphere, fun stuff all around. I won't have a PC good enough to run it come its release, though, so I will have to con my friend into letting me steal his PS2 for a week and hope Blockbuster has a copy.

Amir0x

Banned
trippingmartian said:
The storyline is clinically insane, the dialogue isn't funny and the gameplay leaves much to be desired. Pass on this one.

just for reference which games do you find funny

Amir0x said:
just for reference which games do you find funny
Monkey Island 1-4, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle? There really aren't that many consistently funny games to begin with, though. And even if Psychonauts WAS funny (which it isn't) I would not submit myself to that torturous gameplay!

Electrii

Wow, after playing the demo, I have to say it surpassed my expectations - I didn't expect the gameplay to be so fun!! collecting the random memories (like those weird ducks with helmets) and the emotional vault was hilarious, I can't see the other stuff they come up with.

Holy crap, the 19th can't come soon enough

xsarien

daedsiluap
trippingmartian said:
Monkey Island 1-4, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle? There really aren't that many consistently funny games to begin with, though.

Space Quest 1-6? Leisure Suit Larry 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 & 7?

I dunno, I thought most of Psychonauts humor wasn't in the dialogue (and this is just from the demo, I'm talking about), but the world and some of the visual humor. Emotional Baggage, some of the figments of imagination, things like that.

Eh, pretty much what I was told from the buds at MS. Run of the mill platformer with snappy dialog. Tim would do better with adventure games, but as we all know, graphics killed adventure games, right Tim?

Coop

Heh

If you punch the kid looking into the girl's cabin, his head gets stuck.

And btw, Monkey Island 4 is not funny

pxleyes

Banned
The gameplay reminds me a lot of Beyond Good and Evil. It didn't run well on my computer (even at 800x600) but I got a feel for the game. I didn't find it all that impressive, and I thought the controls were clumsy at best.

Cheesy line "You would have to have psychic powers to control this game with any sort of percision."

Chiggs

I really don't find this game very funny at all. There are a few moments which made me grin slightly, but it certainly isn't the ha-ha funny parade everyone's making it out to be. As a point of reference, I think Mr. Show and Arrested Development are funny.

Additionally, this game strikes me as the kind that will be used to pad the gaming resumes of pretentious, elitist gamers everywhere. For example:

"Oh, you like Halo and Gran Turismo? I've always found those titles to be a little too mundane for my tastes. I enjoy experiences like Alex Garden's Homeworld, Tim Schafer's Psychonauts, Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil, and [insert arty, financial flop here]."

I'm willing to bet that more than half of the people that are clamoring on and on about how great this game is, probably won't even buy it. That's right, this game has FINANCIAL FLOP written all over it.

By the way, Doublefine's website is much funnier than the game's content, in my opinion.

Pachinko

I have to say I enjoyed it , it was a pretty run of the mill platformer but it was still fun for the stage that was there. I'd probally get it for xbox though instead of PC just becuase it's less work when your controller is allready configured, although teh wingman rumble pad pro worked well enough with some tinkering.

Overall I give it a thumbs up.

pj

Banned
Chipopo said:
god I hate this kind of shit. imo.

I usually don't like when people do it with opinions and attempts at being clever, but I did it as a factual correction. The -ified was an attempt at being clever :(

Speevy

Banned
Chiggs said:
I really don't find this game very funny at all. There are a few moments which made me grin slightly, but it certainly isn't the ha-ha funny parade everyone's making it out to be. As a point of reference, I think Mr. Show and Arrested Development are funny.

Additionally, this game strikes me as the kind that will be used to pad the gaming resumes of pretentious, elitist gamers everywhere. For example:

"Oh, you like Halo and Gran Turismo? I've always found those titles to be a little too mundane for my tastes. I enjoy experiences like Alex Garden's Homeworld, Tim Schafer's Psychonauts, Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil, and [insert arty, financial flop here]."

I'm willing to bet that more than half of the people that are clamoring on and on about how great this game is, probably won't even buy it. That's right, this game has FINANCIAL FLOP written all over it.

By the way, Doublefine's website is much funnier than the game's content, in my opinion.

Yeah, I'll use it to pad my gaming resume. I'm a rebel.

Amir0x

Banned
Chiggs said:

Please point me to the Mr. Show and Arrested Development games. They're probably rad. If Rad is some clever code for exists in an alternate dimension and probably sucks ass because it's a licensed game.

Chiggs said:

Hey look, someone is feelin' down today... this something you needed to get off your chest? I mean, 'cause I like Halo 2, Gran Turismo 4 and Beyond Good and Evil and many [insert artsy, financial flop here]'s. Unless you're suggesting we shouldn't like genuinely good games for the sake of looking like an elitist prick. We wouldn't want that, would we? Image is everything.

But yes, fyi Beyond Good and Evil was fucking brilliant and I love ICO. I also think Lumines and Rez are rad!

But, hey, the reason I'm keen on Psychonauts is its incredible world it seems to have built and the fact that Tim Schafer has made two games which are arguably some of the best ever made (Full Throttle and Grim Fandango). If that's not enough of a reason to be very interested, then who the fuck knows! But there's a lot of pretentious people, obviously, since Psychonauts has been scoring very well.

Chiggs said:

I'll make sure to go and cancel my pre-order so I can help prove your point.

But yeah, I will agree it has a super high probability of being a flop.

Chiggs

Amir0x said:
A whole bunch of stuff; some of it clever, some of it not.

The only reason I mentioned Mr. Show and Arrested Development (which, funny enough, were/are big ratings flops), is to, like I said, give a point of reference for what type of humor I respond to (and there certainly haven't been very many comedy-themed games out lately). But, regardless, I'm sure you enjoyed using your "They're probably rad. If Rad is some clever code for exists in an alternate dimension and probably sucks ass because it's a licensed game." line. If only internet forums had laugh tracks.

Secondly, I'm not saying that Tim Schafer's unfunny; I'm just saying that, from what I've played, Psychonauts definitely is. I, too, have played Grim Fandango and Full Throttle, and each had their moments. They're certainly not my favorite games, but the humor factor was there. Of course, I played these games a long time ago, so I'm not really sure how funny I'd find them today.

You know, one of the reasons that I even wrote this stuff, was because, like you said - the scores for this game are quite good - and I have a hard time believing that all the people who are praising it, and Tim Schafer, are actually going to buy it. At what point does all this clamoring - and not just from professional reviewers, mind you - translate into sales(granted, the game's not out yet, but do any of you think this game is going to sell really well)? I swear, I remember reading dozens and dozens of posts on various gaming forums about how bloody fucking brillant Beyond Good and Evil was, and yet that game tanked real bad - even with it's two-weeks-and-it's-$19.99 price tag! But even today, I still hear from a lot of people about how great it is. Well, my question is: Are the same people that swear up and down by critically-praised, yet commercially-disasterous games, really buying them? I mean, I realize that maybe you guys are just the vocal minority, but there sure are a fucking lot of you.

Regarding Speevy's mocking statement: Haven't you ever met someone that would always try to align himself with something that was critically-praised? Haven't you ever had a sneaking suspicion that they were just trying to appear intelligent, just like - to borrow from The Onion here - that guy on the train that keeps positioning his Thomas Pynchon novel, so that everyone can get a real good look at it? That's exactly how I feel about the throng of people who keep posting about how great games like Prince of Persia: Sands of Times and BGaE are. Some of them probably really do like it (like Amir0x), but I'm guessing there are good number of people who are just saying they like it to distinguish themselves from the vast sea of "stinky, unwashed, degenerate Madden fans", and not because they really like the game itself. You might laugh, but I say to you: Go hang out around a liberal arts college, preferably, the library. You'll see what I mean about people pretending they like something even though they really don't.

Azih

"You'll have plenty of time to stand around when you're DEAD!"

Are the same people that swear up and down by critically-praised, yet commercially-disasterous games, really buying them? Or maybe you guys are just the vocal minority?
This is an enthusiast forum. You'll find plenty of people here who love ANIMAL CROSSING for crissakes. There's a reason why MS is revealing the 360 on MTV and not at the zealously followed E3.

Speevy

Banned
A great game is a great game.

Those who seek out the obscure, unique gems are only improving their gameplay experience. It doesn't matter whether Madden, Halo, or GT4 sell better. Because once you've played those games, it's over. There's only a slight surprise that can come from their sequels. I'm constantly seeking out originality, and I respect any developer which brings about

A) Original game worlds
B) Original characters
C) Original and/or heavily modified gameplay mechanics
D) Ambitious art direction, and character/level design

and other things.

Though I haven't played a Tim Schafer game, I hear this guy made the best adventure games around. A whole genre that most people on this forum probably aren't intimately familiar with. So if he can bring even a tiny bit of what made those games great to the consoles, I say go for it. Microsoft was stupid for dropping this game. Yet another game that would have set the Xbox library apart.

pj

Banned
Chiggs said:
I swear, I remember reading dozens and dozens of posts on various gaming forums about how bloody fucking brillant Beyond Good and Evil was, and yet that game tanked real bad - even with it's two-weeks-and-it's-$19.99 price tag! But even today, I still hear from a lot of people about how great it is.

"a lot" is a relative term. A lot of people say GTASA is great, relatively nobody says the same about BG&E.

Chiggs said:
Well, my question is: Are the same people that swear up and down by critically-praised, yet commercially-disasterous games, really buying them?

I don't know about other people, but I buy every game I hype. Psychonauts has been fully paid off for several months. ....and I also own BG&E, great game BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT

Chiggs said:
Well... there sure are a lot of you.

No, we're just REALLY vocal.

One thing you have to realize is that GAF =/= the game market, even if every single member of these forums (which wouldn't happen because only a small percentage of the members are active with any regularity) bought BG&E, that's only like 20k(?) sales.

Amir0x

Banned
Chiggs said:
The only reason I mentioned Mr. Show and Arrested Development (which, funny enough, were/are big ratings flops), is to, like I said, give a point of reference for what type of humor I respond to (and there certainly haven't been very many comedy-themed games out lately). But, regardless, I'm sure you enjoyed using your "They're probably rad. If Rad is some clever code for exists in an alternate dimension and probably sucks ass because it's a licensed game." line. If only internet forums had laugh tracks.

I know what you meant, my point was really just that it seems you really don't find anything genuinely funny in the videogame world if you had to go outside of it for a point of reference on your sense of humour.

That's understandable, the videogame world needs to progress in many ways. But I watched the video and I laughed, and I feel Tim Schafer is one of the few genuinely funny cats left in the game world. I hope he makes more games, but what can I say. And obviously Psychonauts is funny in the more cute-slightly-darker-than-Saturday-morning cartoon way, but there's a certain level of charm to that as well I think. Certainly it makes me chuckle and smile, which I think serves its purpose well. Not to judge the entire game because maybe it WILL end up a total bust from a comedy standpoint, just acknowledging that my little experience with the dialogue and delivery from a voice perspective was really positive.

Chiggs said:
Secondly, I'm not saying that Tim Schafer's unfunny; I'm just saying that, from what I've played, Psychonauts definitely is. I, too, have played Grim Fandango and Full Throttle, and each had their moments. They're certainly not my favorite games, but the humor factor was there. Of course, I played these games a long time ago, so I'm not really sure how funny I'd find them today.

I would really be surprised if you didn't find Grim Fandango even the least bit amusing today. I mean, I think it's pretty much transcendant and deserves its place in videogame history as one of the highest quality games around pretty much because of its many brilliant features, much of which relied on the worlds and dialogue/story/comedy he integrates into the experience.

Chiggs said:
You know, one of the reasons that I even wrote this stuff, was because, like you said - the scores for this game are quite good - and I have a hard time believing that all the people who are praising it, and Tim Schafer, are actually going to buy it. At what point does all this clamoring - and not just from professional reviewers, mind you - translate into sales(granted, the game's not out yet, but do any of you think this game is going to sell really well)? I swear, I remember reading dozens and dozens of posts on various gaming forums about how bloody fucking brillant Beyond Good and Evil was, and yet that game tanked real bad - even with it's two-weeks-and-it's-$19.99 price tag! But even today, I still hear from a lot of people about how great it is. Well, my question is: Are the same people that swear up and down by critically-praised, yet commercially-disasterous games, really buying them? I mean, I realize that maybe you guys are just the vocal minority, but there sure are a fucking lot of you.

This is GAF. Unfortunately, I didn't really follow Beyond Good and Evil until I heard it dropped to 20 bucks. And then I ran out and purchased it, and I must say I have no regrets. It's one of those rare surprises that catches you out of left field specifically because it's niche and it's not accepted by the mainstream. You're not expecting it to be much of anything because no one has really talked about it, and then suddenly everyone in the hardcore gameverse is clamouring on about its awesomeness and then when you play - well - it actually is awesome and it's a good thing. The game world needs more original properties, and I don't say that as an insult to the established franchises and the big games that frequently sell millions of copies. I myself am a big fan of the Grand Theft Auto series, and Gran Turismo 4 is tied for my all-time favorite racing game (with F-Zero GX). So there's certainly room for both, imho.

Anyway, pj is right. This is GAF, and you have to understand we're game enthusiasts. And as such we're constantly lookin' for those undiscovered titles with the awesome gameplay, because that's what we like. I don't know how you can fault us (or anyone) for that.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Duckhuntdog said:
Eh, pretty much what I was told from the buds at MS. Run of the mill platformer with snappy dialog. Tim would do better with adventure games, but as we all know, graphics killed adventure games, right Tim?

The PC gaming industry's laser-like focus on first-person shooters and RTS killed the adventure game. It's a shame, but the developers and publishers have no one to blame but themselves.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
naut6zt.jpg

Fun stuff :D!

Gattsu25

Banned
just completed the demo...at first I wasn't too impressed but the game seems pretty fun. Didn't seem like a AAA game but I did manage to beat the first level...which is a lot more than I can say about many other platformers....the most impressive aspect of the game was the world and the characters :)

The game was severly lacking in graphical options, though. I miss not having minute control over every aspect of a game's visuals.

Unison

I finished the demo too & don't regret my pre-order at all, even if this has a hell of a long way to go to live up to TS's best work. I can't complain about what we're getting here, since the concepts behind the levels are sheer genius (I loved that rolling log room!).

I appreciate that this is a platformer where the focus is on hopping from platform to platform. The gameplay's not that amazing though... It's perfectly adequate, but rather undistinguished. Hopefully some of the powers you earn spice things up a bit.

Then again, what could possibly follow up Grim Fandango without disappointing on some level?

bridegur

I just got finished with the demo. So far it's awesome, I'm going to preorder the PC version now and get a PC controller. I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time, plus it made me laugh out loud, something nearly every other game couldn't come close to. The graphics are great and it runs smoothly. As of right now the game has lived up to my very-high expectations, and I've just played the training level!

bridegur

Question: if I got a PC converter for my Xbox or PS2 controller, would it work with Psychonauts? Where can I get one for cheap?

Daigoro

Pachinko said:
I'd probally get it for xbox though instead of PC just becuase it's less work when your controller is allready configured...

20$ less work?

Gattsu25 said:
The game was severly lacking in graphical options, though. I miss not having minute control over every aspect of a game's visuals.

maybe there will be more options when the full game is released.

im looking forward to trying this demo. when i get home tomorrow if i have time.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I just finished the demo and I'm pleased with it. I think it's a fine game that hovers between above average and greatness but it never quite gets the "upper echelon." If it weren't for the fantastic atmosphere and great characters there's really wouldn't be anything special to distinguish it from the glut of platformers out there. I really dug the level design and had a blast navigating it's terrain but we revert back to the same point, nothing genuinely new simply by-the-books retread of common platforming hi-jinks. A few key parts put a big grin on my face. One section which appeared to be a dead-end there was this child who wouldn't stop rambling. It annoyed me to the point where I had to swat him to shut him up while I figured out what to do and he revealed to me the secret, great planning on that part. While the antics of the general are amusing by themselves, the section where he blew up your cheerleaders for no other reason because he could makes me smile. It was precisely what I wanted to happen; the game plays to my devilish desires.

Based off my impressions of the demo I don't suggest you guys to rush out and buy this game. However, if you want to support a genuinely imaginative team that managed to put together a product that combines great direction, slightly humorous events, eccentric characters, and fun game play then please do. It's not going to amaze, it's simply an enjoyable game that everyone should give a shot even if only to sample the creativity of Tim Schafer. One quick blurb, unless you have a controller, stick with the console versions. Though I managed to modify my mouse speed to adequate settings it was still set to control like an analogue stick (y-axis slowed down dramatically) and I don't think you can modify it farther with the demo.

The only downsides are the comments regarding the final product losing its charm near the end and becoming a tiresome fetch-quest but I can't confirm nor deny that. I think Che would do a much better explanation since I'm sure he's played it. I can say I certainly see hints at that with the collect a-thon that was presented in the demo. Of course it will only irritate completionists but I hope it doesn't extend to where you have to collect a crazy amount of items a-la Star Fox Adventures.

Thanks for reading my inept and completely ridiculous attempt at giving an opinion over a demo. Goddamn there's a reason why I make games and not write about them.

Vark

I realize that maybe you guys are just the vocal minority, but there sure are a fucking lot of you.

How many people post here? What percentage of them rave about BG&E, ICO and the like?

Works out to what... 50 people? if that?

Videogame forums are hardly an accurate sample for a games popularity or retail success.

Top Bottom