• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts PC Demo

Memles

Just finished with the demo (Was forced to quite halfway through last time).

It's...good. I think that it's a solid platformer with a good sense of charm and style. I do not think the mechanics are all that good; I think it would be fine with a controller, but mouse and keyboard makes the rolling log puzzle pure hell. There is really nothing here that is imaginative from a gameplay perspective. That's disappointing, really, but at the same time it's a fun little romp with a lot of charm. It's really not that funny, though.

bridegur

The demo isn't a laugh a second, but it does have some really funny moments. The art is all beautiful and it just looks sharp. My favorite thing so far, however, is the fact that it's actually a platformer (and a fun one so far), something most developers have a hard time with these days. Oh, and I couldn't believe how well it controlled with a keyboard and mouse, but I ordered a PS2 to PC converter to make it perfect. My only complaint is the lack of DOTT-like adventure elements in the demo. Hopefully the game has some.

Vark

The build I played at GDC did have some more 'adventurey' stuff in it and there's definitely an inventory and the like. I wouldn't expect complex puzzles, but some of them are environment based and work out pretty well.

bridegur

That's good news, thanks.

On another note, I want a sequel to DOTT (only from Tim, of course). I wish it was a possibility.

Chiggs

Vark said:
How many people post here? What percentage of them rave about BG&E, ICO and the like?

Works out to what... 50 people? if that?

Videogame forums are hardly an accurate sample for a games popularity or retail success.

I certainly wasn't just referring to GAF, but, regardless, I see your point.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
No offense, but saying that there is nothing original to the gameplay when all that you get to sample from the demo is the tutorial, and in said you tutorial you don't get to use any of the hopefully cool psychic powers Ras accumulates throughout the game, seems pretty silly to me.

Amir0x

Banned
Schafer said:
No offense, but saying that there is nothing original to the gameplay when all that you get to sample from the demo is the tutorial, and in said you tutorial you don't get to use any of the hopefully cool psychic powers Ras accumulates throughout the game, seems pretty silly to me.

oh.

sup.

Chiggs

Schafer said:

Maybe the demo should have had a level or two that demonstrated that?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Schafer said:
I thought it would be painfully obvious that opinions based on the demo would be just that, BASED ON THE DEMO. On a brief note I mentioned that my opinions were based on the demo at least twice in my little writeup. You know, in case someone actually thought I played the game even though I began saying I played the demo.

Bebpo

Banned
I agree that the demo was great and the best part was how well it ran on weak hardware along with how well it controlled using a keyboard+mouse combo.

Great art and level design combined with very solid platforming gameplay, good music, and entertaining writing = the win!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Just got the demo, and loved it. Dont know how much time ya'll spent around the camp, but there were a couple of good platforming courses hidden in it as well.

Played through the main level twice, and was absolutely floored. Im a platforming whore who owns an Xbox though, so it could be from a lack of decent ones this generation.. but I really thought it felt, gameplay wise, like the original Crash game. Old school platforming in 3d. Nothing really felt all that fresh, but it was very solid. Which is more than most 3d platformers can say. Hopefully the freshness comes with the psychic powers.

One issue: I have the Logitech PC controller that looks like a PS2 one.. and for whatever reason the D-pad is used for movement instead of the left analoug. It didnt really give me any trouble but Im willing to bet it would work better with the analog stick. anyone know how to fix the mapping?

Top Bottom