• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG has #1 peak population on Steam beating out Dota 2 & CSGO

mas8705

So is this to say that PUBG is literally the biggest PC game out right now? Crazy stuff to consider and kudos to the devlopers for making a game that has grown so much and still hasn't had a full release yet.

So is this to say that PUBG is literally the biggest PC game out right now? Crazy stuff to consider and kudos to the devlopers for making a game that has grown so much and still hasn't had a full release yet.

on Steam yea

LoL is probably bigger, but I honestly have no idea what kind of numbers that game does.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean, Bluehole has TERA, PUBG and Devilian.

2 of those games are big, Valve buying Bluehole is a win for them.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Valve isn't going to go buy a 500 person Korean company when they don't even have 500 staff themselves.

on Steam yea

LoL is probably bigger, but I honestly have no idea what kind of numbers that game does.
League has 27 million daily active players.

Cartho

100% is more than 30%. My guess is that Valve is going to either make their own or just buy out the developer.

I'm not sure they need to bother. I mean sure every currency will be different but if 8 million copies were sold using GBP (£) that's 30% of £26.99 X 8 million (using rough numbers here) which, according to my calculator, means Valve would have raked in £64.8 million from it. For doing basically sod all.

Obviously the numbers won't be exactly that due to different currencies and exchange rates etc but you're probably in that kind of ballpark. Valve are laughing their way to the bank for basically zero effort on their side at all, it's ridiculously easy money for them.

I've played since April and it still amazes me they did this with 1 map, a bunch of fairly boring UE shop weapons, and vaulting etc still in development.

It's just such a fun game, even when you lose pathetically. Like last night when I couldn't hit anything.

Neptonic

This is the GoTY
No question
Even if Zelda is actually technically better (which I'm pretty sure it is), PUBG is just always fun

Durante

I think it's pretty uncontroversial to say that it's the biggest non-F2P game on PC right now.

I'm kinda surprised it's grown so much to be honest. The game itself is fun but it felt very anti lone wolf when I played it. I'm not really good enough at it to play solo either so wanted to go in a squad but I'd always end up with some idiots that think landing on top of another squad that got there 20 seconds ago is a good strategy and end up solo again right at the start.

Just a little surprised it's grown so much when having a pre-made feels so crucial to the game.

kcxiv

its pretty easy for casuals to pick this game, up. the more i play it, the more i see why people play it. Its pretty easy to shoot in this game, im ass as shooting and even i can get good kill games. Sniping is easy as shit in this game as well. You see someone running across the open field and you a have a good rifle? easy peasy to take them out.

I can see why, its very casual friendly imo.

kcxiv

...and every other game on the premier PC platform

why are people so mad about pubg's success?

because they dont understand it. i didnt either, but the most my buddies kept asking me to play and im like ahh, alright fine!! then you play it, and can see why, there are things that piss me the Fuck off about the game, but its fun.

Mohasus

Dota 2 has been in beta forever. It left beta status for a while, then a new version came and back to beta it went.

Does this have more #'s than Destiny or Overwatch?

More thabnDestiny, for sure.
More than Overwatch, maybe not.

The latest Destiny expansion had something like 300k concurrent on Ps4. Add 200 max for Xbox One and you're still below 500.

We don't have concurrent numbers for Overwatch, but that title is also very popular in Asia, so it could be ahead. Who knows

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I can't imagine how deflated Daybreak must feel after not getting the jank fixed in H1Z1 and sitting by watching this phenomenon happen.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Shared by sanhora in the SteamGAF Thread:

yilabx.PNG

Top Bottom