• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG's Xbox "exclusivity" is just as confusing as it was for ROTTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This is interesting.

I wonder if people that believe Sony "paid to speed up development" of Street Fighter V now think PUBG is full exclusive.

DHssj9oXYAAOJtI.jpg

Blindy

Yeah, thought Spence didn't like paying for games not to come to other consoles.

What happened to that whole thing?
The same as to when Phil Spencer mocked Sony for their numerous delays only to cancel Fable, Scalebound and delay Cuphead, Crackdown 3 and Quantum Break in a year and a half's worth of time.

He's good for TV though.

Third-party moneyhats suck. Microsoft moneyhats suck and Sony moneyhats suck. The only people who enjoy them are company executives who get to advertize these 'exclusives' and blind fanboys who don't seem to understand that any such 'victory' over the 'enemy' will inevitably lead to them getting screwed over once the 'enemy' retaliates with the same shit. Yet in every relevant thread you can see people celebrating Sony's or Microsoft's "huge get." In the world of gaming very few things are sadder than gamers celebrating that other gamers are getting screwed over.

Welcome to capitalism my friend.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If I had to guess it will be Xbox only in early access then a year after (like tomb raider). So PS4 in later 2018/early 2019?

Mr Moose

This is interesting.

I wonder if people that believe Sony "paid to speed up development" of Street Fighter V now think PUBG is full exclusive.

DHssj9oXYAAOJtI.jpg

I couldn't give a shit about this game, I think it's boring as fuck (watched streams, this and H1Z1 KotK). That tweet is saying MS won't publish other console versions from what I can tell (which is obvious, because why would they?).

Edit: PoopieQueen? That's disgusting wtf lol.

blakep267

I don't think it's hard to understand. I interpret it as, the game was coming to early Ccess in the Xbox regardless, but now MS has pumped some additional money behind it to get it out faster and make sure it has less bumps along the way. Whenever the port team making the Xbox version seems it adequate, then I'm guessing they'd start work on porting it to the PS4. The additional funding meaning they wouldn't have to rush other versions out and could solely focus on the Xbox version. If the Xbox version comes in October or Movember, I'd think next fall or summer for the PS4 version

border

PUBG is going to be exclusive to PC and the Xbox One console for an unspecified period of time.

What is confusing about this? What is there that you don't understand?

I don't see how people can argue that the wording isn't confusing and purposefully deflecting from answering the questions asked.

Whether or not you got confused is another conversation. But 17 year old dude bro about to go to college more than likely will interpret this as, "Xbox One is exclusively getting PUBG that game I keep hearing YouTubers boast about."

Most of us on GAF understand that if you do not answer "Yes this is an exclusive" when asked "Is this an exclusive" then it is not. But there is a reason why they are wording their responses as such and it is to confuse and mislead people.

nOoblet16

If this was 100% exclusive they wouldn't be playing with words and outright confirm.

I find it disingenuous when marketing uses vague terms and phrases that while technically true, exists solely for the entire purpose of misleading the audience. Like using "Captured from X console" or "in-engine footage" for pre rendered footage or this. I know that's what marketing does but they already try to exploit the user base as it is and this takes it a bit too far by further confusing the audience and thrive in that confusion which to me is just sad

It's not. Street Fighter V was a full moneyhat. I'm saying they said the same thing with SFV. "Funding to have it come out quicker".

Except here, it'll still be timed.
I guess I don't see why SFV is brought up, because as far as I know the official PR for SFV was that there was no budget for it. vs PUBG already having plans to release on both consoles.

I tried this out today and had fun although I cannot for the life of me play games on a computer with a mouse and keyboard. I was stuck in prone for 10 minues and ended up having to roll down a cliff into the water and swim around the entire island before giving up and restarting.

Hopefully this makes it to PS4 eventually in a way that can be played on console.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Aw, I'm late to the Rise of The Tom Braider party.

That said, if I were MS, I'd grab this exclusivity with tooth and nail.

JJD

I guess I don't see why SFV is brought up, because as far as I know the official PR for SFV was that there was no budget for it. vs PUBG already having plans to release on both consoles.

I don't know why SFV is being mentioned too.

Sony paid for the development of SFV, in return the game is exclusive on PS consoles and PC for life.

MS is paying for the port of PUBG for Xbox and in return they will get an undisclosed exclusivity window for their platform.

It's two completely different scenarios.

I don't know why SFV is being mentioned too.

Sony paid for the development of SFV, in return the game is exclusive on PS consoles and PC for life.

MS is paying for the port of PUBG for Xbox and in return they will get an undisclosed exclusivity window for their platform.

It's two completely different scenarios.

I'm pretty sure the SFV deal was to get the game out much sooner, since plans for SFV were put on hiatus. If Sony hadn't stepped in, you have to imagine Capcom would have still funded SFV at some point this gen. Sony wasn't exactly some white knight coming in to save a franchise that would never get another game. That said, I don't mind the money hats. It's just business, and if both parties in the partnership find the deal beneficial, they should go for it.

JJD

I'm pretty sure the SFV deal was to get the game out much sooner, since plans for SFV were put on hiatus. If Sony hadn't stepped in, you have to imagine Capcom would have still funded SFV at some point this gen. Sony wasn't exactly some white knight coming in to save a franchise that would never get another game. That said, I don't mind the money hats. It's just business, and if both parties in the partnership find the deal beneficial, they should go for it.

Yeah, I agree.

I think when PUBG gets out of early access it will find it's way to PS4. That will probably take awhile.

NolbertoS

Have no idea why GAF is acting surprised at "timed" exclusivity. Everybody does it. Will it stop, probably never as long as there are 3 consoles vying for the consumers money, so some developers will get rewarded others not. If you want first dibs buy it on Xbox, than abyear later the "Full" edition with DLC on PS4. Who knows, might throw scraps to Switch.

EvB

How is this like SFV?

Because Microsoft has funded the development of PUBG for Xbox One by another Studio.

Capcom said that Sony funded development of SFV, which is why it was only made for PS4.

Bluehole games aren’t doing it, they will carry on with the PC version

This is interesting.

DHssj9oXYAAOJtI.jpg

Uh

this still isn't clear? All she's saying is that MS and Bluepoint will work closer to bring it to the Xbox faster.

I swear can't these marketers just say 'It's exclusive forever'?

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
People hating on Phil need to open their eyes. The confusing PR about PUBG excluivity is only too similar to Sony and Acti acting coy about Crash exclusivity a few months back. It's almost like this is a direct response from Phil to other pubs to stop doing this shit because he's been there and he knows the confusion helps nobody, especially paying customers. Microsoft and Bluehole are being ironically obtuse about the PUBG deal, so to speak, and none of this would've happened if other pubs were more clear in their messaging.

If anything, this make Phil more charming in my eyes, if he's masterminded this whole thing.
Lol seriously?

I can not for the life of me understand what Xbox stands to gain out of these word games they play with their marketing. Every time they've tried it has blown up in their faces and I can't imagine the meager number of sales they would stand to gain from the deception would be worth the long term damage to their brand as it would inevitably sour anyone it actually worked on against them in the long run. Its baffling.

Being silent and refusing to comment on releases on other platforms I totally get that strategy and it makes sense to me but constantly playing word games to try and deceive potential customers about something for which the truth will eventually come out can do nothing but damage your reputation with said customers making them even less likely to trust your claims the next time around. Are they that focused on the here and now that they truly don't care about the image they cultivate for their brand? It seems reckless and foolish to gamble with what is arguably your strongest asset (your brand) just to eek out some extra temporary marketshare.

I can not for the life of me understand what Xbox stands to gain out of these word games they play with their marketing. Every time they've tried it has blown up in their faces and I can't imagine the meager number of sales they would stand to gain from the deception would be worth the long term damage to their brand as it would inevitably sour anyone it actually worked on against them in the long run. Its baffling.

Being silent and refusing to comment on releases on other platforms I totally get that strategy and it makes sense to me but constantly playing word games to try and deceive potential customers about something for which the truth will eventually come out can do nothing but damage your reputation with said customers making them even less likely to trust your claims the next time around. Are they that focused on the here and now that they truly don't care about the image they cultivate for their brand? It seems reckless and foolish to gamble with what is arguably your strongest asset (your brand) just to eek out some extra temporary marketshare.

It only "blows up in their face" on GAF, a community of a few thousand people. To the millions of people outside of gaf who are into gaming they just know it's exclusive to Xbox and that they'll need one to play PUBG on console.

Never confuse the general sentiment here with the sentiment of the general population. They almost never line up.

Because Microsoft has funded the development of PUBG for Xbox One by another Studio.

Capcom said that Sony funded development of SFV, which is why it was only made for PS4.

Lol what. Where the receipts for ms funding another studio to port an unfinished game into an unfinished state on xbox.

They've paid bluehole to port it to their console first that's all.

I know what the situation is, it was already planned for consoles but MS sped up XB! development while keeping it off PS4 for a period of time. Why SFV is brought up is still beyond me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
this is why when i hear people say MS is missing all these exclusives, i just yawn. They secure the big ones that matter. They locked down Minecraft and this game, which pretty much eclipses everything else.

I may not be interested in Minecraft or Player Unknown Battlegrounds, but a shit tons of people are, they are the users who MS decides on how to do things.

this is why when i hear people say MS is missing all these exclusives, i just yawn. They secure the big ones that matter. They locked down Minecraft and this game, which pretty much eclipses everything else.

I may not be interested in Minecraft or Player Unknown Battlegrounds, but a shit tons of people are, they are the users who MS decides on how to do things.

But Minecraft isn't exclusive?

Neither of those are exclusives. WTF are you talking about?

KageMaru

I didn't think there was ever any confusion over tomb raider. I thought it was pretty clear it was a time exclusive deal. Same thing here, PUBG will show up on the PS4, we just don't know when exactly.

jtb

Banned

You can buy it on one platform this holiday and not the other. That's all that matters.

Whether it'll give MS any boost is questionable. Not like PUBG is some graphical powerhouse or anything. I don't get it, and luckily it's not my job to care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom