• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG's Xbox "exclusivity" is just as confusing as it was for ROTTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayant

this is why when i hear people say MS is missing all these exclusives, i just yawn. They secure the big ones that matter. They locked down Minecraft and this game, which pretty much eclipses everything else.

I may not be interested in Minecraft or Player Unknown Battlegrounds, but a shit tons of people are, they are the users who MS decides on how to do things.
🤔😂😂😂😂

EvB

Lol what. Where the receipts for ms funding another studio to port an unfinished game into an unfinished state on xbox.

They've paid bluehole to port it to their console first that's all.

Bluehole aren’t porting it.
In fact one of the teams that has worked on Crackdown 3 is doing it..

When it's a small company, they have to pick a console maker to come to first, and do the other later. That's what happened here.
If PUBG continues on to super megahit on all released platforms, I wouldn't be surprised if MS puts an offer on the table to buy the Studio/IP.
It's a smaller dev team that may not have the resources to work on Xbone and PS4 versions along with continuing to develop the PC version.
Bluehole is not by any definition a small company, they have many hundreds of employees. (They support multiple service games, so only a portion are on Battlegrounds.) This makes them bigger than any Microsoft studio. Maybe about as big as 343i, The Coalition, and Rare put together?

Bluehole aren't porting it.
In fact one of the teams that has worked on Crackdown 3 is doing it..
Sumo or Ruffian?

mrk8885

Banned
I didn't think there was ever any confusion over tomb raider. I thought it was pretty clear it was a time exclusive deal. Same thing here, PUBG will show up on the PS4, we just don't know when exactly.

Nah there was definitely confusion at the beginning pretty similar to what's going on now with PUBG

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
this is why when i hear people say MS is missing all these exclusives, i just yawn. They secure the big ones that matter. They locked down Minecraft and this game, which pretty much eclipses everything else.

I may not be interested in Minecraft or Player Unknown Battlegrounds, but a shit tons of people are, they are the users who MS decides on how to do things.
You don't know what you are talking about.

Head.spawn

Last time I'm posting on this particular thing, but I feel like these tweets are taken completely out of context, the headline created kind of pushes a narrative, but I think if anybody besides the OP actually reads Destin's timeline, you'll realize two things:

1) He wasn't simply asking if the game is coming to PS4. His main question he was getting to was about MS as the publisher which leads to number 2...

2) He was literally asking if MS was going to be publishing the PS4 version, as he mistakenly thought they had published the PC version and was clarifying that it wasn't going to be the case that MS wouldn't be the publish of the other versions outside of the XBO (&PC) deal.

A person following his train of thought flat out even asks him in regards to PUBG:

F9vpd5m.png

Absolute funniest part in all of this is that he got the answer he was looking for and moved along:

HLkw5to.png

No idea why this random "Tall Dave" is included in the set of tweets as it pushes the idea they were asking the same question and looking for the same answer. Tall Dave was clearly concerned with "exclusivity" in general. He just crept into the twitter tree, doesn't actually ask a question and implies that she didn't answer a question (though above, clearly answered it for Destin) and she tells him they don't have any other announcements... now that only seems malicious if you imply the same thought process as OP, in context it's a sterile reply.

Now reread the OP. Bet money if you ask guy being quoted in the OP that this is an accurate summation that he'll say yes. I imagine this post will probably just get ignored though.

EvB

Bluehole is not by any definition a small company, they have many hundreds of employees. (They support multiple service games, so only a portion are on Battlegrounds.) This makes them bigger than any Microsoft studio. Maybe about as big as 343i, The Coalition, and Rare put together?

Sumo or Ruffian?

Acticto, who are working with Cloudgine.

JoeLT

I thought Philly wasnt a fan of these types of deals? lol
To be fair he was talking about content in games being held back, not games. Imo exclusive DLC like in Destiny bothers me more than timed exclusive games like this. Fair enough that people hate them both but that's not what Phil was saying I don't think.

Other than neither of the games you mentioned actually being exclusive, you make a great point. WTF.

KageMaru

Nah there was definitely confusion at the beginning pretty similar to what's going on now with PUBG

Odd because I thought there were debates here on GAF where some were arguing that the TR exclusive deal wasn't as bad as the SFV deal because it wasn't a permanent exclusive.

I also remember holding out for the PS4 version until I built my PC and got that instead. The wording from the TR exclusive deal was along the lines of "launching exclusively on Xbox I 2015" IIRC. From that use of words, I thought it was clear it was coming to PS4 the following year.

Regardless, based on how unwilling they are to confirm full exclusivity on Xbox, I think it's safe to say it'll land on the PS4. I think people are worrying over nothing.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
But Minecraft isn't exclusive?

Neither of those are exclusives. WTF are you talking about?

Other than neither of the games you mentioned actually being exclusive, you make a great point. WTF.

It says console exclusive right there on the tin for PUBG, like Titanfall did before it.

And i'm referring to MS securing IP's, they own minecraft don't they? They can make anything having to do with it exclusive if they want to. They did what they had to to get PUBG on their system before anyone else, who knows if it'll come to other platforms.

That's just smart thinking

It says console exclusive right there on the tin for PUBG, like Titanfall did before it.

And i'm referring to MS securing IP's, they own minecraft don't they? They can make anything having to do with it exclusive if they want to. They did what they had to to get PUBG on their system before anyone else, who knows if it'll come to other platforms.

You didn't say "securing IPs". you said "exclusives" and your only existing example was minecraft, which is nonsense.

xxracerxx

I can't tell if you are intentionally being obtuse or not.

Heigic

It's not really confusing. If it was a full exclusive they would have said so. They haven't so it is not. Simple.

Hard to tell if this a serious post.

mrk8885

Banned
Odd because I thought there were debates here on GAF where some were arguing that the TR exclusive deal wasn't as bad as the SFV deal because it wasn't a permanent exclusive.

I also remember holding out for the PS4 version until I built my PC and got that instead. The wording from the TR exclusive deal was along the lines of "launching exclusively on Xbox I 2015" IIRC. From that use of words, I thought it was clear it was coming to PS4 the following year.

Regardless, based on how unwilling they are to confirm full exclusivity on Xbox, I think it's safe to say it'll land on the PS4. I think people are worrying over nothing.

It was definitely unclear at the announcement and got clarified later in press releases or something.

Gxgear

Why are people forcing the developers, who's obviously been gagged by Microsoft, to answer a question we already know?

Look, it's easy: when Microsoft starts to get cute and adds adjectives around the word 'exclusive', then you know it's not.

SpotAnime

He might.

You really think he is the end all be all in the company?

Im sure others have much more of a say than he does.

It's funny, I did a Dorito search to pull some Phil quotes against timed exclusives or exclusive deals, and it's not really what he said:

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/811350267991969792

DW4wfzE.jpg

So he's not a fan of deals where they lock out content from other consoles. Timed exclusives he's cool with though, especially when defending RotTR a couple of years ago:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...r-makes-case-for-tomb-raider-exclusivity-deal

I knew there would be some push back when we came out. Certain people won't believe this: it doesn't come from an evil space. It comes from a space where there's an opportunity that maps really well with what we need in terms of the genre, and a partner that's looking for a partnership. Other people can do the deal, but it was a deal that fit well with us. And I think it could help the franchise in the long run and help Crystal and Square and us.

Personally he's hiding behind his words. If you look at the two arguments, he's carefully choosing his words to defend himself when it benefits Xbox and express disappointment when it doesn't.

I don't like him. Like this whole cross platform multiplayer argument he started. He can say, cross platform multiplayer is good for the industry, we're doing it and it's easy to do, so it's all up to Sony. He put them on the defense. They've resisted because from a business sense, it's beneficial to keep gamers in the Playstation walled garden. And he knows damn well if he was in that situation, he would do the same as Sony. But he's getting beat, so he throws the challenge.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Instead of Microsoft? Sure. But we'd be in the exact same boat, just different consoles. Though of course, way more Gaffers would be happy.

I like how you tried to turn this issue into a console war by making factually incorrect statements about GAF's reaction to Crash's exclusivity and then when you were called out on it with proof, you completely ignored it and never went back to it.

Yet in this post, you're continuing your console war bullshit.

xxracerxx

I like how you tried to turn this issue into a console war by making factually incorrect statements about GAF's reaction to Crash's exclusivity and then when you were called out on it with proof, you completely ignored it and never went back to it.

Yet in this post, you're continuing your console war bullshit.
Oh yeah, he never responded to my list. Huh.

Oh, well.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Deal?

Xbox has an early access program. PlayStation does not.

MS is now getting them some help to get the Xbox version out faster. That's it. The exclusivity window is due to the Early Access. It's basically a default timed exclusive.

It could be 3 months, 6 months 1 year or even 2 years. It depends on how long it's in early access for. MS hasn't had to pay for the exclusive window. How long it's exclusive depends completely on the developer.

Playstation will let games like PUBG on their system in their current state, it's the early access games that aren't feature complete that I assume they don't want.

Fortnite doesn't count because it even released retail. It's not the same vein of early access like Xbox has on XBL.

wtf? Fortnite is literally in early access on PC. Same thing with stuff like Dreadnought. Sony can make exceptions if they want to. They could have said PUBG was in "paid Beta" or some shit. It's all meaningless anyway.

blakep267

Playstation doesn't have a program, but they allow Early Access games. Look at Fortnite.
They have allowed 2 games this gen. Fortnite and Ark( about a year after it was in the MS program). They don't have an early access program. They have twice allowed an early access game on the platform. One of which has a retail release

As of this moment Microsoft has 12 games in the early access preview program. If Sony is allowing EA games on the platform in bulk, maybe they should spread the word to devs out there. I'm sure black desert or Conan exiles would rather be on the PS4 than Xbox. PUBG devs specifically named Game preview 3+ months ago as the reason why it was coming to Xbox first

wtf? Fortnite is literally in early access on PC. Same thing with stuff like Dreadnought. Sony can make exceptions if they want to. They could have said PUBG was in "paid Beta" or some shit. It's all meaningless anyway.

It's worth mentioning that they also had an Early Access period for the Marvel Heroes Omega release prior to its official release on the platform. So while its not common its certainly not unprecedented either.

It only "blows up in their face" on GAF, a community of a few thousand people. To the millions of people outside of gaf who are into gaming they just know it's exclusive to Xbox and that they'll need one to play PUBG on console.

Never confuse the general sentiment here with the sentiment of the general population. They almost never line up.

The sales for Rise of the Tomb Raider say otherwise and they say it rather loudly.

You can buy it on one platform this holiday and not the other. That's all that matters.

Whether it'll give MS any boost is questionable. Not like PUBG is some graphical powerhouse or anything. I don't get it, and luckily it's not my job to care.

If thats what they would actually say then yes thats all that would matter but thats not what they say. What they say is in a conscious effort to deceive people about their business dealings and not only does that upset people in the here and now who see through it but eventually upsets the people for whom it actually works when the truth (or Software in this case) comes out. Its basically mortgaging their consumer good will and brand positivity for some potential short term profits.

Just to reiterate my initial post for the new page in case anyone wants to address the points I made or discuss how this actually benefits the Xbox brand/department in any way:

I can not for the life of me understand what Xbox stands to gain out of these word games they play with their marketing. Every time they've tried it has blown up in their faces and I can't imagine the meager number of sales they would stand to gain from the deception would be worth the long term damage to their brand as it would inevitably sour anyone it actually worked on against them in the long run. Its baffling.

Being silent and refusing to comment on releases on other platforms I totally get that strategy and it makes sense to me but constantly playing word games to try and deceive potential customers about something for which the truth will eventually come out can do nothing but damage your reputation with said customers making them even less likely to trust your claims the next time around. Are they that focused on the here and now that they truly don't care about the image they cultivate for their brand? It seems reckless and foolish to gamble with what is arguably your strongest asset (your brand) just to eek out some extra temporary marketshare.

(I hope its ok to reiterate an initial post like this. If not please let me know and I will edit it out of this reply)

xxracerxx

They have allowed 2 games this gen. Fortnite and Ark( about a year after it was in the MS program). They don't have an early access program. They have twice allowed an early access game on the platform. One of which has a retail release

As of this moment Microsoft has 12 games in the early access preview program. If Sony is allowing EA games on the platform in bulk, maybe they should spread the word to devs out there. I'm sure black desert or Conan exiles would rather be on the PS4 than Xbox. PUBG devs specifically named Game preview 3+ months ago as the reason why it was coming to Xbox first

I mean, that is literally what I said.

I am bit confused. So are we going to have a bitching party every time a console maker make a deal with third party? Or are we just doing that because Sony fans here can't play the game early or exclusively for once?

The sales for Rise of the Tomb Raider say otherwise and they say it rather loudly.

If thats what they would actually say then yes thats all that would matter but thats not what they say. What they say is in a conscious effort to deceive people about their business dealings and not only does that upset people in the here and now who see through it but eventually upsets the people for whom it actually works when the truth (or Software in this case) comes out. Its basically mortgaging their consumer good will and brand positivity for some potential short term profits.

The sales of Rise of the Tomb Raider is pretty fine last time I remember. Plus the paycheck from Microsoft, I bet that's why Crystal Dynamics is still making games and not fired like IO Interactive.

I think it's not Microsoft Publishing's place to say whether a non-exclusive game is coming to PS4 or Switch or not. "Exclusively this year" is the only statement that is guaranteed to be true in the scenario. No body can be sure whether the dev will port the game to other platform or not. Anything can happen. As for the dev, "focusing on the current platform" comment is also the only statement that is guaranteed to be true. If for some reason PUBG bombed on Xbox One, it's possible the dev will give up console port once and for all. Plus, it was the game preview program that get it's Xbox One release in the first place. The game may stay in preview program for a long long time, I don't think the dev would like to undercut the sale performance for another port that might not be happening soon.

Some people seem angry about the wording, idk why. It makes no sense to sign any kind of deal and then tell potential customers exactly how long they need to wait to play it on another platform. Seems especially weird given how chill people are in crossplay threads and how "well it just makes business sense for Sony!"

I mean, the wording seems obvious. If it were a real exclusive then MS would be shouting it from the rooftops.

I am bit confused. So are we going to have a bitching party every time a console maker make a deal with third party? Or are we just doing that because Sony fans here can't play the game early or exclusively for once?

Funny thing is that some of the posters spouting the most vitiroil and/or concern posts about PUBG Xbox exclusivity have said opposite in Crash posts, something more blatantly a slap in the face than PUBG (devs stated why it's on Xbox as opposed to all the back and forths regarding Crash). Earlier at work as I was going through this thread I wanted to make a wall of shame but now that I have the chance, it's just not worth it.

IMHO none of these games should be fully exclusive, but the hypocrisy and double standards from some are crazy.

I'm too lazy to look up all the threads, but considering that different communities within GAF have bitched significantly for the following, but not limited to:

- Destiny 1/2 DLC timed-exclusivity
- Titanfall timed/lifetime exclusivity
- ROTR's unclear/timed/is it 6 months or 1 year exclusivity status
- No Man's Sky exclusivity status
- Dead Rising 4's timed exclusivity ( just a little bit )
- Is Crash exclusive? Will it be exclusive? Think of Sony's involvement? It won't be, Acti still owns it! etc etc.

Among other games...

Yes, we are going to basically have a bitching party every time.

Venom.

This is a clear as day, it's a timed exclusive.

By saying 'bring to Xbox players faster' it means faster than PlayStation. The only question is how long is the exclusive window? Originally the game was slated as Xbox in late 2016 and PlayStation in 2017 so I predict Q1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom