• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putting the Ly into Polygon, Crecente: "Oh, that I saw"

Jackpot

Banned
Who said that it was? Or even implied it? How is this even relevant? This is a message board about video games not an International War Crimes Tribunal.

I'm not saying "why talk about this, it's not important", I'm making a post of similar faux hyperbole in order to show how silly it was for Polygon to take the Kim Jong Un comment seriously.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Well we have 2 options:

1. Gies is dumb and gets fired.
2. Gies is not dumb because he knows they wont do shit.

Since obviously I don't frequent Polygon because theres hard alcohol to do that kind of damage to my neurons, this here jpeg of joy from this very thread was my first experience of Reviews Editor Mr Gies' level of writing ability:
polygonlol75u3y.png

Third sentence in and already my eyes are turning in on themselves while my right claw reaches instinctively for the red pen of correction.

Who said that it was? Or even implied it? How is this even relevant? This is a message board about video games not an International War Crimes Tribunal.

Gies RTd a pic of someone literally calling him Kim Jong-Un as a joke. It's part of his larger effort to distract from his jackassery by using constant straw man arguments.

I'm not saying "why talk about this, it's not important", I'm making a post of similar faux hyperbole in order to show how silly it was for Polygon to take the Kim Jong Un comment seriously.

as a games writer i wish all the people who made hyperbolic posts would consider the feelings of the easily confused.

Glix

What the fuck is with these people!?!

Unreal.

We all knew it was going to be like this when they release that awful documentary. Awful.

Replicant

I really wish congress would pass a law banning gaming bloggers from having twitter accounts.

I actually love how Twitter shows us who are the dumbasses and bigots on the internet. Because let's face it, most of these guys have no restraint when they are given their own platform to speak. Twitter doesn't even need to do anything. These guys willingly air out their stupidity and prejudice on their own accord so the rest of us know which people to avoid.

Since obviously I don't frequent Polygon because theres hard alcohol to do that kind of damage to my neurons, this here jpeg of joy from this very thread was my first experience of Reviews Editor Mr Gies' level of writing ability:
polygonlol75u3y.png

Third sentence in and already my eyes are turning in on themselves while my right claw reaches instinctively for the red pen of correction.

Yeah, this is a great example of how full of BS Polygon, and specifically Gies can be. The MP clearly impacts the SP especially in how the game is saved.

MYeager

There's a difference between "this works, this doesn't work" and "they should have done X instead of Y and the only reason they didn't was because they're <lazy/greedy/stupid/hate you/miscellaneous other vitriol>."

Eh, I think you're generalizing a bit. I can watch the movie Transformers and question the choices the choices they made without knowing how to make a blockbuster movie. I don't know how to code, but when a major release comes out with pathfinding that doesn't function correctly for whatever reason, saying that it should have been better should not be a problem. If paying customers are saying it, than I can empathize a bit with the vitriol.

I don't get why polygon never admit they are wrong or at fault. They just turn into defendive assholes It like I they admit to it god will turn them into a pillar of salt if something .

Eh, I think you're generalizing a bit. I can watch the movie Transformers and question the choices the choices they made without knowing how to make a blockbuster movie. I don't know how to code, but when a major release comes out with pathfinding that doesn't function correctly for whatever reason, saying that it should have been better should not be a problem. If paying customers are saying it, than I can empathize a bit with the vitriol.

you mean stuff like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQs4WIxXQog

I don't know how to make video games so I should just accept stuff like this.

I don't get why polygon never admit they are wrong or at fault. They just turn into defendive assholes It like I they admit to it god will turn them into a pillar of salt if something .
Because any sort of attention inevitably leads to more hits for them?

It's like how Jeff pointed out all the journalist complaints about IGN's admittedly shady exclusive Bioshock Infinite review probably advertised it more than IGN could've themselves.

Schreier and Totilo come on here and debate like men instead of running to twitter; advantage Kotaku.

I've said this before, i don't keep up with their site any more, but their willingness to engage GAF has softened my desire to carry a torch/pitchfork combination and call for them to be a banned.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Because any sort of attention inevitably leads to more hits for them?

It's like how Jeff pointed out all the journalist complaints about IGN's admittedly shady exclusive Bioshock Infinite review probably advertised it more than IGN could've themselves.

Which jeff?

I've said this before, i don't keep up with their site any more, but their willingness to engage GAF has softened my desire to carry a torch/pitchfork combination and call for them to be a banned.
Gies and a couple other Polygon staff do post on GAF. Or did before the whole SimCity fiasco at any rate.

Which jeff?
Jeff Gerstmann, on his tumblr when asked about his thoughts on the matter.

Since the videogame industry is in its infancy, makes a lot of sense that the press covering is composed of infants.

Well, sure bet videogame press miss the golden age.

Vorg

Banned
So besides Gies tweeting that people who aren't working at Maxis don't know what they are talking about what else has he done that gets people so pissed at him? I've noticed it in the past.

He's generally a terrible writer and reviewer. Many times doesn't know how to play the games and then gives them bad scores.

Gies and a couple other Polygon staff do post on GAF. Or did before the whole SimCity fiasco at any rate.

I'm talking about when the HEAT is on them or their site, the Kotaku dudes show up right away. They don't really have to, but the fact that they do says alot about their maturity and to some extent, their character.

Right, but it's exceptionally weak coming from someone who dedicates time to doing just this. He's a "video game journalist" who writes reviews. His career is telling people they could do better!

Not really:p His career is to tell people how they should pre order all these awesome triple A games.
We are mad because he isn't doing what you suggest his career is at all.

I want to get a job where I can say "With respect, go fuck yourself".

How do I do that? Do I get a tattoo? Strum a guitar in front of a woman? What?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can't wait for aegies to turn up.

He already has an account. Last time he posted was nearly a month ago.

I'm sure he's worried about GAF giving him a new one, which is why he isn't posting here.

freddy

Banned
It's pretty obvious some of the games media are working towards getting hired at game companies. Looks like Microsoft is all out of lickers positions at the moment so some are angling to work at EA.

EA should take note however of the type of people they are hiring. These people have no scruples with making a complete joke out of their current employer, Polygon, when the heat comes on and their ego is at stake. Make sure you put that on the notes when the interview comes around guys.

Is there a communal lead-based water fountain at the Polygon offices?

was reading this a moment ago in the old thread. someone posted we should give those guys a break, I think they should be made accountable for their bullshit. acting like children and full of themselves at the same time. it's a not so funny joke.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It still kind of feels like Gaf has always had it out for Polygon and loves witch hunts, regardless of what Polygon has done. Gaf's hated them from the beginning (not that some of it isn't warranted).

freddy

Banned
Why is Arthur Gies speaking for Maxis? Didn't the 'community' release an offline patch for Sim City a few days earlier anyway?

Because he wants a job there most likely. At best he sees himself as part of the elite gaming industry and thinks the fans are all mouth breathers.

Top Bottom