• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

AaronMT86

Cheat codes for the game already found

Here is a list of all the codes for Puyo Puyo Tetris. On the splash screen, Enable win counter for Multiplayer: Hold ZL and R. While still holding them, press Down, X, Y. If done correctly, a sound should play.

Permanently unlock all characters, skins, voice packs, and music: Hold L1 and R1. While still holding them, press Up, Down, Right, Left, X, B, Y, Y. If done correctly, a sound should play.

Maximum difficulty CPU players for VS mode: Hold L, then press Y before selecting a CPU player.

Just picked this up, and I realized something a little distressing.

Is there no way to just play an endless game of Tetris? The quick-play option on the main menu is a 150 line challenge, and the Challenge option in Solo Arcade only offers Endless Puyo.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just started this game. Is there some like Puyo Puyo cinematic universe that I'm unaware of?

Yes, there is a new thread where we are exploring the Puyo Puyo cinematic universe. You are of course very welcome to join us on our journey.

Skyzard

Banned
Cheat codes for the game already found

Here is a list of all the codes for Puyo Puyo Tetris. On the splash screen, Enable win counter for Multiplayer: Hold ZL and R. While still holding them, press Down, X, Y. If done correctly, a sound should play.

Permanently unlock all characters, skins, voice packs, and music: Hold L1 and R1. While still holding them, press Up, Down, Right, Left, X, B, Y, Y. If done correctly, a sound should play.

Maximum difficulty CPU players for VS mode: Hold L, then press Y before selecting a CPU player.

About these:

I've tried the bottom two with my Vita. Just to note, there isn't a way to undo the unlock all code it so you may have to delete your save file if you don't want it all unlocked. It doesn't grab dlc ones either but I'm not sure what that's like on other consoles.

The max difficulty cpu - I didn't hear a sound play, which should happen after successful entry, as it does with the 'unlock all code'. I also didn't notice any difference. I think that code could have been for a different console that didn't let you set the handicap?

Because you can set it to max handicap on the CPU part...that makes it harder for them but I'm not sure if that is the same thing as max difficulty... I'm interested if anyone knows what that's about.

xabi

Is there a way to have hard drop turned on or off for both Tetris and Puyo Puyo? I know you can do it before a match, but then it reverts back. Can you have the game remember your preference?

Doorman

Is there no way to just play an endless game of Tetris? The quick-play option on the main menu is a 150 line challenge, and the Challenge option in Solo Arcade only offers Endless Puyo.

It's called "marathon" right below endless puyo in the challenge menu.

Theswweet

I was in an online lobby and got a 6-chain near the start of the match against 3 Tetris players. I can't even begin to imagine what they were all thinking when they basically immediately lost. I honestly feel bad about it.

What've you guys been leaning on, for multiplayer? Puyo Puyo or Tetris?

It does have endless mode. I don't have the game in front of me and I don't remember exactly where, but I suggest looking in all the menus. I remember it being in a menu you wouldn't expect it to be.

Cindro

I just put a good hour into the demo... it was wonderful! I normally don't care for puzzlers, but the style and presentation really push it far over the edge. Love those bright, vivid colors.

I read the OP, but I still don't understand this part:

Are there any differences between the characters?
They have different items and dropsets in Party and Fusion mode, and their CPU AI behaves differently.

What do the items do, and are they restricted to Party Mode? And what is a dropset?

Is there some implicit difficulty with playing against COM with certain characters I'm not aware of? I just played versus against Suketoudara playing Puyo Puyo and got WRECKED.

Hattori

Banned
It took a while but I finally have grasp on how to Puyo. It feels amazing hitting 3-4 chains ( ^∀^)

It does have endless mode. I don't have the game in front of me and I don't remember exactly where, but I suggest looking in all the menus. I remember it being in a menu you wouldn't expect it to be.

Found it. It's Marathon, and then you can turn on Endless in the settings before starting the round. Wierd.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Is there some implicit difficulty with playing against COM with certain characters I'm not aware of? I just played versus against Suketoudara playing Puyo Puyo and got WRECKED.

Have you checked out the tutorial? If you're not chaining, you're not gonna win

Stopdoor

This game is pretty great so far. Actually haven't touched Adventure mode, went into Online pretty quickly after trying all the modes.

The ranked play is weird with how it randomly cycles through game modes, I like variety at least. Almost no one is hosting free play rooms which is weird considering it's release day?

I don't really understand Big Bang mode, with Tetris it just seems brain dead easy and all about who can input the fastest, and that seems like it's mostly decided from the get go, so if you're near the same skill level it just goes on forever. I do alright with it in other modes, but Puyo Puyo is way less obvious to me to pick out the chains so it's futile to fight even a basic Tetris player there.

I want to like Fusion mode, but every match I play seems to drag out forever. It takes me ages to set up a nice combo half because of the mind-bending where I dunno what I should focus on, and half the piece distribution feeling like it never gives what I want, and then when I have an empty field it takes forever to start up again. And most players don't seem to be any good with it either so it goes slowww.

blitz64

there is endless.

boot up the game and hear the sound 'Sega'.
Then select tetris on the right hand side.

3-10 is so hard lol
There are basically three ways to 3-star that stage and a couple similar stages:

1) Actually learn how to play Tetris "properly" with T-spin set-ups and shit.
2) 4-wide
3) Sheer dumb luck

2 is what S2 recommended to me back when I bitched about that stage and it worked like a charm. There's even now a video he made about it up on the SegaAmerica channel that you can check out.
The ranked play is weird with how it randomly cycles through game modes
In Japan the standard is to change your settings to VS-only AFAIK. I expect that to eventually happen here too.

beanman25

First puyo puyo experience. Also my first time trying tetris in a vs way. Extremely bad at it, but loving it. Big bang mode is my favorite so far. Really gotta be quick on that one

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I did yeah! Its specifically with that character. He drops puyos quicker than I can even think where to place mine.

getting my ass kicked in tetris in 3-10 so i hear ya

There are basically three ways to 3-star that stage and a couple similar stages:

1) Actually learn how to play Tetris "properly" with T-spin set-ups and shit.
2) 4-wide
3) Sheer dumb luck

2 is what S2 recommended to me back when I bitched about that stage and it worked like a charm. There's even now a video he made about it up on the SegaAmerica channel that you can check out.

I'll check it out, I've seen some of the vids he posted but I concentrated on learning Puyo

Dinjoralo

Blazed through the Adventure mode... I think I'm slightly better at puyo, now!

And I'm tempted to use that cheat... >.> but no, I've gotta git gud and all that.

Soooo this won't even recognize a second controller in the online mode. Total bummer.

I'm pretty sure MK8 can do split screen online. Any reason this was held back from Puyo Puyo Tetris?

Man I love this game, everything about it is so cozy and so good...

But I would pay money for a JP voice pack. The english dub is not bad at all actually, it's quite charming, but I'm just very very used to the classic japanese Puyo Puyo dub. Not hearing Risukuma saying "I LOOO YOU" or people actually calling Satan... well, Satan, makes me a bit sad

iphys

Soooo this won't even recognize a second controller in the online mode. Total bummer.

I'm pretty sure MK8 can do split screen online. Any reason this was held back from Puyo Puyo Tetris?

They'd probably rather you buy a second Switch and copy of the game for each person going online or just play each other locally, and it's not like Mario Kart where you really need a lot of people to avoid people getting totally separated and not really interacting on the course. At least with the local multiplayer you can add 1 or 2 cpus if you're just looking to mix things up a little more than 1v1.

Tobe

i disabled puyo puyo for now, just want to git gud at tetris cuz i dont know how to t spin or perfect clear for shit.

Owensboro

I'm freaking awful at Puyo. Been trying to three star those initial levels and just can't wrap my head around setting up chains. I have no idea how to train myself to see them better either. Time to find some YouTube videos (and watch those 3 in the OP)

Just lost 5 in a row, online.

My opponents won't let me breathe. It's like I'm playing against machines.
I haven't tried out the online yet. Is there some kind of ranking system to keep the people who are really good away from idiots like me? I hope so, otherwise I'm never going to have fun online.

We need a scrub league.

Tobe

also i cant for my life see the different colors of puyo well the yellow and green i cant see any difference so i cant play without looking the actual puyo. :(

Step 1) Play Endless Fever when you really should be learning how to make stairs
Step 2) Change settings to Big Bang only
Step 3) Change filter to 4 bars only because you can
Step 4) Enjoy

I haven't tried out the online yet. Is there some kind of ranking system to keep the people who are really good away from idiots like me? I hope so, otherwise I'm never going to have fun online.

We need a scrub league.

There is a ranking system, but idk how hard it tries to keep skill levels apart. I'm close to 3000 rating now and it still matches me up against players at 2000 and like three leagues below mine. Also I got invaded for a promotion exam by some crazy JP player with double my rating

Tubie

I played this with a friend today and she loved it, you wouldn't believe the trash talk lol.

Now she wants to get a Switch (first time she used one).

mstevens

Is there a way to change the difficulty of the cpu besides just changing the handicap?

Also, I'm trying to get my head wrapped around Puyo Puyo and I'm a little bummed there's not some one player mode I can practice making stairs and chains on, unless I'm missing it somewhere.

Is there a way to change the difficulty of the cpu besides just changing the handicap?

Also, I'm trying to get my head wrapped around Puyo Puyo and I'm a little bummed there's not some one player mode I can practice making stairs and chains on, unless I'm missing it somewhere.
Is there not an endless puyo one? In Solo arcade -> challenges

Top Bottom