• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

Skyzard

Banned
The flying creature thing from puyo puyo side constantly wrecks me in vs ai. It performs combos straight from the off and I'm just not good enough. I was playing endurance and was 4 opponents down and it destroyed me, started a new run and it was first up, destroyed me again!

I didn't know the different characters had different difficulties, good to know.

Yeah, I've had my ass whooped by AI a few times too... it's good fun.

My brain isn't made for puyo puyo but I'm going to figure it out. Working through the story mode really makes you want to get better, it's very addictive game.

Swapping between puyo puyo and tetris screens on a timer against another player/ai is really tough as it switches faster and faster giving you less time to prepare. You learn your limits quick.

When I first got the game I jumped into one of the endless tetris modes and just played that most of the time after getting scared by puyo puyo.

But there's actually quite a lot more to the game and story mode is a decent way to introduce you to all the different game types (and get you kinda ready for tougher challenges).
A lot of them are actually really fun, just got to give puyo puyo a good chance. Maybe come back to it after a while if you aren't comfortable or getting it initially.

I've done that, and now I'm hooked to the main game and am keen on exploring the different modes. Glad all this hype brought me back to give it a more thorough look.

DKL

I'm not sure I'm ready for online when I can't even beat an AI who probably isn't aggressively blocking my setups lol

(I play against that blue haired Puyo kid since he seems to build up large combos if you're slow)

Like, I'm not even at the "watch what the opponent is doing" level yet...

It's crazy how complicated it is to even understand what's going on. I can't remember the last time I was so completely lost while playing a game for this amount of time.

That said, I'm finally seeing the value of t-spin once you vaguely recognize the setup: I had no access to Tetrises in my current almost dead setup, but I came back because I set two up quickly into various random unintentional combos.

That said, 7-combo chains in Tetris is mostly luck at this point... I'm hoping to change this, but I can't even do the 4-wide stuff correctly and have just been scrubbing it out with 2-3.

(not even gonna touch the setup you do in the middle at this point since it's fucking hard)

ASIS

I'm not sure I'm ready for online when I can't even beat an AI who probably isn't aggressively blocking my setups lol

(I play against that blue haired Puyo kid since he seems to build up large combos if you're slow)

Like, I'm not even at the "watch what the opponent is doing" level yet...

It's crazy how complicated it is to even understand what's going on. I can't remember the last time I was so completely lost while playing a game for this amount of time.

That said, I'm finally seeing the value of t-spin once you vaguely recognize the setup: I had no access to Tetrises in my current almost dead setup, but I came back because I set two up quickly into various random unintentional combos.

That said, 7-combo chains in Tetris is mostly luck at this point... I'm hoping to change this, but I can't even do the 4-wide stuff correctly and have just been scrubbing it out with 2-3.

(not even gonna touch the setup you do in the middle at this point since it's fucking hard)
Bruh, I'm not even at the point where I look at what my next piece will be.

It's just too much stuff to keep in mind at once. I love it.

vulva

Heh, glad I could help :)

Edit: one thing, it might take a couple hours for the code to be emailed to you - only downside. It took me around 3h earlier today. :)

I literally got it in less than 2 minutes. Everything worked out perfectly. Thank you again, I really do appreciate it a lot!

jonno394

I didn't know the different characters had different difficulties, good to know.

Yeah, I've had my ass whooped by AI a few times too... it's good fun.

My brain isn't made for puyo puyo but I'm going to figure it out. Working through the story mode really makes you want to get better, it's very addictive game.

Swapping between puyo puyo and tetris screens on a timer against another player/ai is really tough as it switches faster and faster giving you less time to prepare. You learn your limits quick.

When I first got the game I jumped into one of the endless tetris modes and just played that most of the time after getting scared by puyo puyo.

But there's actually quite a lot more to the game and story mode is a decent way to introduce you to all the different game types (and get you kinda ready for tougher challenges).
A lot of them are actually really fun, just got to give puyo puyo a good chance. Maybe come back to it after a while if you aren't comfortable or getting it initially.

I've done that, and now I'm hooked to the main game and am keen on exploring the different modes. Glad all this hype brought me back to give it a more thorough look.

I played endless Puyo mode last night in bed (which is pretty much my first experience of Puyo Puyo) and managed to start hitting combos and got up to 1.3m score before I gave up. I think I actually like it better than Tetris!

Forkball

For people who are struggling: are you putting the blocks into place, or are you letting the blocks put you into place?

Think about it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just capped off a 26-win streak via Swap stalling tactics.

It's been a nice evening of ego-stroking, but it's a matter of time until I start running into people who won't give me the time to set-up 4-wide.

For people who are struggling: are you putting the blocks into place, or are you letting the blocks put you into place?

Think about it.

Whoa.

Theswweet

I've run into a few people that have disconnected right before I beat them... it's a shame that there doesn't seem to be any sort of penalty for rage-quitting.

Theswweet

anyone with the Japanese version tried deleting and seeing if you can redownload from the UK/US store?

They're separate games as far as the eShop is concerned. My Japanese copy of Snipperclips and ACA titles show up as purchased on the NA eShop, but my NA PPT doesn't show up as purchased on the JP eShop.

So far, I'm really enjoying this game. Adventure mode is a lot of fun and I like the silly nature of the characters in it. It sure looks sharp on the Switch screen, too. Haven't played it online yet, but I'm looking forward to doing that and playing with my girlfriend.

Playing it on the go reminds me of the fun I used to have with Tetris on the original Game Boy!

I am slowly learning how to properly play Puyo Puyo. Becoming a fan. Story mode has been interesting, the games at least. Learning a lot. I've been skipping the cutscenes though, not interested in that.

johnyqd

Anyone know how to assign player names when playing local multiplayer on the Switch? I can't find an option to assign a user when setting up each controller. It would be great if each player could see their name other then "player 2".

S2

Anyone know how to assign player names when playing local multiplayer on the Switch? I can't find an option to assign a user when setting up each controller. It would be great if each player could see their name other then "player 2".
I think this might only be possible if you do multiplayer via Local Wireless instead of on the same Switch

johnyqd

I think this might only be possible if you do multiplayer via Local Wireless instead of on the same Switch

Thanks for the quick reply - odd that you can't set this up when configuring controllers - maybe it's coming in a system update.

Deft Beck

Played for about an hour last night.

Fun! Fusion mode has a lot of nuance to it that I'd like to understand further.

CPU in the story mode seemed to ramp up around 1-5. Had to skip past that damn dog.

Matchmaking in the online mode seems a bit off at times; the first match was with a 2200 player who just bodied me with three Tetrises in a row. I got matched a little lower and did better.

Unlocked everything via that one cheat code; that way, when I inevitably have a PPT party, --as is planned with some friends who are very much into Tetris Grand Master -- they can pick what they'd like.

Chorazin

This game really solidifies how fucked the Switch Pro Controller D-pad is. What a shame that Nintendo of all people shit the bed on the d-pad.

Other than that, game is awesome. Great to have it in English, now I can retire my J3DS copy.

RRockman

Banned
This game really solidifies how fucked the Switch Pro Controller D-pad is. What a shame that Nintendo of all people shit the bed on the d-pad.

Other than that, game is awesome. Great to have it in English, now I can retire my J3DS copy.

Says you, it's very percise and I love it.

The game is great though and the dub is very enjoyable. Except for Sig. You can tell the cast had fun with it.

AEREC

God I suck at Puyo Puyo. This is my first time playing PP and and I did look up some chaining videos but it really requires a different way of thinking ahead that Ill need to get used to.

shanafan

This is the first game I am playing with the Switch Joy-Con, and I think I have a defective left.

I would play with the Joy-Con in my lap, and a few times I could not move the piece left or right. Nothing would happen. If I raise up the Joy-Con, it would work.

Guess I need to look into calling Nintendo to get this repaired.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Chorazin

Says you, it's very percise and I love it.

The game is great though and the dub is very enjoyable. Except for Sig. You can tell the cast had fun with it.

Really? I keep fast dropping stuff I have no intention of fast dropping using the d-pad. If I don't hit Right or Left EXACTLY in the middle of them, it seems to trigger an Up as well. :(

vanty

I'm having no issues with the dpad. I am very slightly lifting my thumb between pressing each direction though instead of keeping pressure the entire time. Doesn't really seem to be any slower or require me to think about it, it just happens naturally.

Then again, the bit of KoF98 I've played I had no issues with inputs and that's definitely not lifting my thumb between directions.

Chairhome

Who said the voice acting was bad btw?
Everyone. Before they heard the final game. The reason was that some of us adored the Japanese voices and weren't happy that they were redoing them. For me, I'm glad I was wrong. It'll take a little getting used to, but the English voices are fine. And the dub on Adventure mode is great.

Other than feeling stiff, I think the pad is fine. No accidental drops for me.

RRockman

Banned
Really? I keep fast dropping stuff I have no intention of fast dropping using the d-pad. If I don't hit Right or Left EXACTLY in the middle of them, it seems to trigger an Up as well. :(

Oh wait for some reason I thought you said Joycons. Sorry, I'll put on my dunce cap now. :(

I think you might have gotten one of the bad pro controllers if you are getting that issue. Are you able to get it exchanged or sent to Nintendo?

MikeBison

I haven't played Tetris in about 20 years when I was a kid and it was the first thing I had on gameboy. Played the demo for this last night and I can see why people think Tetris is basically a perfect game. It's digital heroin. Just amazing. And the package of this game is delightful. Definitely picking this up for the Switch later on.

I've lost Like 10 games in a row, it seems there is literally no one playing that is my skill level.

That's the best way to learn, I don't have the game but I've been playing competitive Street Fighter for like 12 years now.

When you lose a lot you learn what doesn't work very quickly.

My ps4 copy comes on friday, hope the online isn't a ghost town.

So does the game output at 720p docked after all? Checked last night a few feet from my 60" set and it looked pretty crisp to me. At least from the menu.

Chorazin

Oh wait for some reason I thought you said Joycons. Sorry, I'll put on my dunce cap now. :(

I think you might have gotten one of the bad pro controllers if you are getting that issue. Are you able to get it exchanged or sent to Nintendo?

I imported my from Japan so I'm guessing I'm screwed. :(

Steveo

Banned
I bought the PS4 version, and gamefly'd the Switch version.

I got this mainly to play online... since I played PuyoPuyo Tetris a fair amount last year. But there's almost no one online... is there an issue with my router, or are there really like almost zero people online? If so, is the Switch version healthier online?

Leatherface

Well I stayed up until 3AM playing this damn game last night. I'm at work now and tired as fuck. Thanks a lot Puyo Puyo. :'(

Oh BTW, I played adventure mode and made it to 3-10. This is where I apparently will stay forever. I can not beat that motherfucker no matter what. I played the best Tetris of my life and still got owned over and over again. That is when my stubbornness kicked in. I simply could not stand losing to that little smart-ass prick with his little saying after the match. However, after probably 142,000 matches I hung my head in shame and went to bed.
Up until this point the game was very manageable in it's difficulty incline. WTF?!! Do I just suck? I probably suck.. sigh..

deoee

Well I stayed up until 3AM playing this damn game last night. I'm at work now and tired as fuck. Thanks a lot Puyo Puyo. :'(

Oh BTW, I played adventure mode and made it to 3-10. This is where I apparently will stay forever. I can not beat that motherfucker no matter what. I played the best Tetris of my life and still got owned over and over again. That is when my stubbornness kicked in. I simply could not stand losing to that little smart-ass prick with his little saying after the match. However, after probably 142,000 matches I hung my head in shame and went to bed.
Up until this point the game was very manageable in it's difficulty incline. WTF?!! Do I just suck? I probably suck.. sigh..

http://webm.land/media/tdXC.webm

You probably suck

mlclmtckr

Banned
So I don't understand why people were acting like the English voices are so offensively bad. They seem completely fine to me, maybe not like amazing but certainly at least acceptable. Why were people flipping out? Was it just a GLORIOUS NIPPON thing or what?

When you pop puyo or a row in tetris you send garbage over to your opponent which drops on them after the drop their next piece, assuming they don't trigger their own combo to cancel it out. The little bubbles are one individual garbage puyo that'll fall somewhere randomly(?) while the larger ones are an entire rows worth. The red bubbles are a whooping five rows and a star basically means you're fucked.

Thank you!!

shanafan

So I don't understand why people were acting like the English voices are so offensively bad. They seem completely fine to me, maybe not like amazing but certainly at least acceptable. Why were people flipping out? Was it just a GLORIOUS NIPPON thing or what?

Here's what you do.. choose the character that are two kids. Bottom right corner. They will annoy the crap out of your opponent ;)

Top Bottom