• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PvZ Garden Warfare PS4/PS3 |OT| Over-Delivering On Value

VanWinkle

Don't understand why the meta-score is so low compared to Titanfall. Objectively the game clearly has a larger amount of content included, and froma personal viewpoint re the fun involved it's clear the majority of players absolutely love it.

Makes you feel either Titanfall was overrated in reviews, or this game got lower scores for odd reasons (possibly just people's initial impressions of an FPS set in the plants versus zombies world, which I admit I had as well!).

Yeah this game is far, FAR better than Titanfall, IMO. It's also not a technical mess like Titanfall, either.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Just played two games of Gardens vs Graveyards in a row against plants teams who didn't play the objective at all. Completely squashed them. I don't understand the (admittedly minority of) players in this game who seem to care about their K/D when it isn't even on display.

Also, do any of the scientists variants actually make him good? I suck with vanilla scientist and my teammates always run away from my heals, haha.

I scream at my TV when I see half the plant team be near the enemy spawn area, while the goddamn garden meter is getting purple'd out of it's ass
When you 7 Zombies on the meter, you don't camp their spawn area, cause that means most are at the garden area where you should be protecting and defending it

Some still don't realize Zombies can create transporters and warp...
I always go crazy when one created and try to destroy it, always nets me like 5+ chilli bomb kills + destroyed transporter
I have saved my teams ass so many times from defeat just due to destroying them, cause you push them way back to last garden area cleared, a long run no matter what and time is the Zombies enemy

For the Scientist I get massacred to the ones running with the Dolphin/Aquarium variant
No clue why, they kill me very easily, others I survive

MMaRsu

Banned
90% COME ON PLEASE LORD FORGIVE ME FOR BUYING AN EA GAME BUT LET ME PLAY IT ALREADY

The 'tutorial' while it installs is so much fun already

GraveRobberX

I hate online multiplayer's but I really enjoy this even if I am getting hammered and the garden warfare mode is fantastic . Where are the microtransactions ppl were talking about?

It's for coins...

13,500 - $0.99
30,000 - $1.99
85,000 - $4.99
200,000 - $9.99

It's so you can buy extra sticker packs to get more stuff, it's not pay to win
Just play Gardens and Graveyards, I earn roughly 10,000-17,000 coins every 15/30 minutes
I have 316,825 on me right now and that's playing a few hours here or there

MMaRsu

Banned
If it's a digital version, it's probably still downloading. The actual install process from disc should be pretty quick.

Yeah it was digital but I thought it wouldnt take that long to download but I guess my connection sucks

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
Is there a good pack to purchase for skip challenge stickers?

Based on my experience from buying some different packs it seemed to me the 20,000 coin "Supremium Pack" is the best bet.

Usually every time I bought one there was a skip challenge card in there with the highest multiplier I think being 7 so far. Although I might of gotten a 10 once but my memory is foggy.

I bought this game about a week ago. Since then I've spent less time playing it than my nephew has.

He friggin loves this game. It makes for a perfect "My first shooter" type game.

I'm hoping when Splatoon drops, it will be similar to this in that it will be great for kids and adults alike.

zOnJFv6.png

In Gardens & Graveyards, the plants team is getting really good. I can barely even make it to the 3rd round most of the time. People are even destroying teleporters, with 3 fully upgraded zombots defending them. It made being plants much easier, and being zombies much more difficult. I like that.

I also rarely have to pick Engineer anymore. Lots of people are picking him now. Now I seem to have to pick All Star, which I'm not very fond of. He can destroy a whole area with a single good Imp Punt or Charge, but he's a bullet magnet. Everyone wants to get rid of the All Star. Still having fun with the game so far. Had a few matches that were very laggy, but it usually gets better after I find another game.

vypek

In Gardens & Graveyards, the plants team is getting really good. I can barely even make it to the 3rd round most of the time. People are even destroying teleporters, with 3 fully upgraded zombots defending them. It made being plants much easier, and being zombies much more difficult. I like that.

I also rarely have to pick Engineer anymore. Lots of people are picking him now. Now I seem to have to pick All Star, which I'm not very fond of. He can destroy a whole area with a single good Imp Punt or Charge, but he's a bullet magnet. Everyone wants to get rid of the All Star. Still having fun with the game so far. Had a few matches that were very laggy, but it usually gets better after I find another game.

really? I'm hoping to jump into some matches soon. Should have a chance soon since classes are on holiday this Monday. I usually go for All Star. I tend to also be a plant that hunts down teleporters. Interesting that thing seem to be changing. I'm also hoping to play more games of gnome bomb

saunderez

I've been really enjoying the game. Surprising how much depth there is.

Yeah it really is the surprise hit of the year for me. I laughed at the very concept when it was announced, but got convinced to buy it by a friend and haven't regretted it in the slightest.

GraveRobberX

So fucking close to the Platinum for the PS4
Only need to reach Rank 50, Win 25 Team Vanquish matches for Platinum

Need to win 15 Gnome Bomb matches for the DLC pack to 100%

Rank 50 taking awhile due to challenges being cleared for certain classes

I thought I was never going to get the 10 Sticky Explody Balls for Scientist
Just ate deaths, but 2 games in G&G with me just lobbing them left and right where I saw a bunch of plants was what I needed
Last was a Triple Kill which was fucking amazing (very fucking hard), lobbed 2 back to back on walls, 2 sunflowers and a peashooter gave chase, all 3 got hit with 40+ damage, then again 1 sec later, netting me the Trophy
Felt awesome

Now I gotta grind Team Vanquish and Gnome bomb for 25 and 15 wins respectively, then try to hit Rank 50!

My new favorite Pea Shooter is Law Pea, holy fuck is his Critical devastating
I can kill most hurt zombies with my six-shooter from a mile away
Some of the challenges are really fucking stupid, asking you to do things that can be super annoying
Scientist shoot 3 Cactus Drones, I mean it takes for a dumb pilot who never sways up and down and you line up the shot
Worst is you have the shot, but your foot-soldier teammate out shoots and gets the kill
Luckily some dumb pilot always brought his drone chasing my teammates at ground level, netted me 3 easy kills one round of G&G

Even with Skip Challenge cards, there's not enough to bypass to reach rank 50, most classes now require +10 challenges, hell my level 10 Foo-Soldier needs 15 and now the requirements are retarded as hell, same hard stuff but now more requirement
(Hate that stupid Get hit with Chomper Goop then kill someone while in that goop... So goddamn annoying, god forbid the goop washes/dissolves off and you get a kill, doesn't count =/)

Loomba

Whats the best way for fast coins? Is the best way just playing Gardens and Graveyards and trying to get vanquish streaks?

Agent

Picked this game up the other night on an impulse buy based on some of the feedback here. Plus I was getting tired of playing Battlefield 4 and was looking for something new to play until Destiny comes out. I have to say, this game has been a blast to play so far. I want to keep playing to unlock everything. I am definitely going to keep playing this even after Destiny comes out.

I just unlocked the Sky Trooper Foot Soldier zombie through the Spectacular Character pack and well, how can using a weapon called the Danger Zone not be awesome?

Also, is it better to save coins for the Spectacular Character Pack or just spend them on some of the 10,000/20,000 packs to unlock some of the abilities and other items?

GraveRobberX

^

I always get 200K-300K and buy the 20K packs
The Dave and Zomboss ones
They give you the star skip challenge cards, (those thing come in fucking handy at higher levels if you wanna reach Rank 50+)

One dave pack gave +7 cards, I was so f'n happy, some of the challenges are goddamn sadistic
Kill 2 plants with Foot-Zoldier ZPG 5 times (one time is luck, 5 times...) or Rocket Jump and Vanquish 3 Plants right afterwards within a session.. Yeah no!

I get roughly 150K coins a night and level up a char or two a level
@ Rank 45, so 5 levels from the characters to go, 2 have 15 challenges per, rest at 10 challenges per, all like 0/10 to 4/15... FML!

saunderez

Also, is it better to save coins for the Spectacular Character Pack or just spend them on some of the 10,000/20,000 packs to unlock some of the abilities and other items?

You get characters from the 20k packs as well. I got a All Star character from one last night. Considering they're 9 stickers vs 5 in the Spectacular pack they're better value overall.

Agent

^

I always get 200K-300K and buy the 20K packs
The Dave and Zomboss ones
They give you the star skip challenge cards, (those thing come in fucking handy at higher levels if you wanna reach Rank 50+)

One dave pack gave +7 cards, I was so f'n happy, some of the challenges are goddamn sadistic
Kill 2 plants with Foot-Zoldier ZPG 5 times (one time is luck, 5 times...) or Rocket Jump and Vanquish 3 Plants right afterwards within a session.. Yeah no!

I get roughly 150K coins a night and level up a char or two a level
@ Rank 45, so 5 levels from the characters to go, 2 have 15 challenges per, rest at 10 challenges per, all like 0/10 to 4/15... FML!

Thanks, I kind of figured the 20K Dave/Zomboss were probably the better value than the 40K ones but wasn't sure. I'm not accumulating coins at too fast of a rate, my average is around 700 per minute. Granted I only played Vanquish Confirmed to start but now have played Gardens & Graveyards more often which has helped to get more coins.

I will make sure to stockpile the star skip challenges ones as I can see already how some of them are a bit frustrating. Even though i'm a noob, some of these challenges at the earlier levels are quite annoying. For example, vanquish 3 sunflowers in one round, or vanquish 3 people while hyper as a Peashooter. If people on the other team aren't sunflowers it is quite annoying to complete them.

Mindlog

My son wants this game. I currently have a mental block about paying 40 for it though.
If it helps. There are very few kid friendly games of this quality available :]
You get characters from the 20k packs as well. I got a All Star character from one last night. Considering they're 9 stickers vs 5 in the Spectacular pack they're better value overall.
Yeah, going full 20k is a pretty good idea. Towards the end I started going 40k then drop back to 20k to fill out its upgrades just to mix things up and get some new classes going. Buying only 40k packs will unlock all of the classes faster, but with no consumables and none of the important class upgrades.

Has anyone on 360 noticed any changes. Maybe it's just in my head.
Definitely haven't seen the Tactical Cuke map in a long time. Wonder what happened.

WOW are you kidding me, just had the most epic Gardens vs Graveyards. It's the Megaflower one and we're at the very last garden (objective: destroy Megaflower). I'm the All Star football zombie. There's about 45 seconds left on the clock, I just died and get in the cannon and launch to the island (love that cannon btw) and I run up the stairs, Punt an imp in the doorway and get a double kill. Clock is ticking down now, the Megaflower has like not even 10% life left. I make it to the flower and just hold the fire button and unleash my gatling gun, there's like 10 seconds left on the clock. It's just about dead, a couple hits but my gun overheats. Less than 5 seconds now... boom someone else manages to kill him. Literally there was 1, maybe 2 seconds left on the clock. Like a buzzer beater in an NBA game. Got 13k coins from it. It was maybe 15 minutes, not even.

Loomba

I was playing last night before the maintenance and I had a match where I opened the scoreboard and it was blank, so I pressed the button to close it and it stayed open, then after about 10 times pressing the close button (I know that was stupid) it finally closed and then I was stuck in place.

I couldn't move at all, thankfully it didn't kick me out of the game because I had like 10k points, but we lost and I couldn't help :(

Cynn

I bought this game about a week ago. Since then I've spent less time playing it than my nephew has.

He friggin loves this game. It makes for a perfect "My first shooter" type game.

I'm hoping when Splatoon drops, it will be similar to this in that it will be great for kids and adults alike.

It's a perfect "my first shooter" while at the same time being a fantastically balanced and hyper competitive game for old grinders like me. Easy to learn, hard to master.

I often relate it to others as the game Nintendo would make if they created a class based shooter. It's gorgeous, the frame rate is locked, the art style is accessible by all ages and got damn I love Pop Cap.

I'm also really looking forward to Splatoon!

vypek

I was playing last night before the maintenance and I had a match where I opened the scoreboard and it was blank, so I pressed the button to close it and it stayed open, then after about 10 times pressing the close button (I know that was stupid) it finally closed and then I was stuck in place.

I couldn't move at all, thankfully it didn't kick me out of the game because I had like 10k points, but we lost and I couldn't help :(

I've had something similar just one time. I was able to eventually move. Maybe because I tried to respawn myself during the time the leaderboard was stuck on the screen while blank. It eventually disappeared and I could keep playing. Wonder what the problem is. Seems hard to reproduce but I hope they can find it and take care of the bug.

Playing as an engineer is really frustrating when foot soldiers don't shoot down drones that keep camping the teleporter. :/

Yeah, if you're a foot solider and you don't shoot down drones then you aren't doing your job. Especially since there tends to be a lot of soldiers being selected.

GraveRobberX

You know you are on a garbage team when there's 3+ drone zooming in the air and there's 6+ foot-soldiers grunting along hobbling past you...

I seriously can't play any other Zombie class to really level them up, cause I get frustrated at my team not doing their job, so always be the foot-soldier

I watch the skies and cover my teammates
I have saved so many zombies from Chomper's OM NOM NOM attack, giving them a chance to continue then die to a potato mine... FML!

That garden hills map, last part (Dave's mansion) I go do the extra mile for the first 3 minutes
Destroy all those tall-nut canons, destroy as many potato mines laid out, and get as many potted plants removed from on side
So many victories I've gotten due to doing this, also at that part, Engineer with Jackhammer is fucking OP if you cleared out the area for them, just need 5 Zombies need to enter
Same goes for the CUKE map, destroy all Corn Missle Launchers, clear the outside area, jump onto the dome area in middle and give flanking/cover fire/be a target

The best thing I do now is try to enter the Garden ASAP, and make the flowers give chase, it has worked so many times, by the time they realize what has happened, we have gotten at least 40% done, with 5 minutes left

This party system needs to come soon, it's frustrating playing matches with no team coordination and communication, and this happens a lot.

Frenden

Banned
Just got this yesterday. What a blast. A fantastic shooter with non of the faux-machismo crap that a modern military shooter tends to court.

Frenden on PSN if anyone's adding folks in anticipation of a working party system.

To anyone who has played the XB1 or 360 versions:

The "Suburbination" expansion adds 1 new map. Can you play Gardens & Graveyards on that new map?

Top Bottom