• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PvZ Garden Warfare PS4/PS3 |OT| Over-Delivering On Value

BadHand

I picked this up today and have been trying to match with other players in garden ops.

So far, after an hour I've only played with myself. Is it because there is nobody playing garden ops? Or am I doing something wrong?

Matchmaking says there are no games "try again later", if I create my own match nobody joins and I die after a few waves. Its set to public.

Edit: I see others are having issues too...

Sora_N

The more I play the better the game is feeling. I really like how you can put in 20 mins for a match and feel like you accomplished something but also have the option for multiple hour long sessions too. Fits my schedule really well.

Yeah I played 6 matches in a row last night after a super tiring day. I could stop anytime. Games are nice and short.

I just got this game for $20 (Canada). Pretty fun but I suck. I can't get into any of the classes, but especially the Zombie ones.

It takes awhile to find that class that you really like. For me, I was doing terrible until I finally found a class variant that I really liked to play and after that, the whole game came together for me. I feel like the shooting mechanics of the game take some getting used to, especially since dudes feel like absolute bullet sponges most of the time and it can make you ponder why you're using the class you are at that moment.

For me it took unlocking the Fire Cactus. I can vanquish people so quickly with it, it made playing the other classes really easy for some reason. On the Zombie side I use Marine Biologist if I'm really looking to do well, but I'll use any class if I feel we need another one. The only class I don't really enjoy playing is the Sunflower, as I feel it is really hard to defend yourself with it -- they all just feel weak as hell.

The fact that garden ops is no longer playable makes me even more annoyed every time I get Revives or Team Retrys out of expensive packs. /sigh.

I have all the original unlockable class-types now, plus the level 10 Sunflower, Chomper, and Soldier. Level 9 Peashooter and All-Star, so getting close there too. I am positively terrible at the Cactus, so unless I decide to just skip challenge my way all the way to 10 I'm not sure I'll ever unlock that guy.

About half way through the Zomboss down unlockable classes.

I haven't spent this much time on a game in such a short period of time since probably Mass Effect 2.

DagsJT

Loaded the game up and can't choose any modes or options. First off I was advised I need to be signed into PSN even though I was. So I went to the PSN store and back, that cleared that message. Now I'm being told I've lost my connection to the EA servers and can't do anything.

Odd seeing as I've just been playing Madden without any issues.

Closing and reopening the game seemed to fix it though.

I picked this up today and have been trying to match with other players in garden ops.

So far, after an hour I've only played with myself. Is it because there is nobody playing garden ops? Or am I doing something wrong?

Matchmaking says there are no games "try again later", if I create my own match nobody joins and I die after a few waves. Its set to public.

Edit: I see others are having issues too...
Co-op is p2p. So you need good connection.

Loomba

My characters keep resetting to their defaults (character items, abilities and gestures) I change them in the main menu and then enter a game and back to default. What the hell?

-MD-

My characters keep resetting to their defaults (character items, abilities and gestures) I change them in the main menu and then enter a game and back to default. What the hell?

Never had that issue, like Dallow said though maybe you're playing the default character modes.

Happened to me a couple of times. Seemed to happen after customizing outfits and stuff. Quitting and rejoining has always fixed it right away.

BadHand

I've been loving this game so far and up until a few hours ago been playing pretty good.

I've been getting really frustrated but only just noticed that something is up. When I face off with someone and get a couple of shots in (and it shows the 35, 20 point hit markers) the enemy doesn't go down and it says on the kill screen, "Killed by XXXX, 100% health remaining"

No matter what I do I cannot reduce an enemies health. Bombs have no effect either. Traps and that stun bomb thing (zombie engineer) does work, but I cannot get the kill. Drones will work also, so I sometimes finish a match with one or two kills.

Another issues is players keep disappearing. I ran around a map for about 5 minutes before I realized it was completely empty except for me. but I could still hear the audio of fighting around me.

I just deleted my game data and i'm hoping a fresh install fixes the issues.

For the people getting the game late, I just want to give some tips and facts about each vanilla classes in the game:
Plants
- Peashooter: The most deadly of all the plants in the right hands. It is also great for new people just getting into the game, because it is easy to master. It's only downside is having low health, which can be a problem against good players.

-Sunflower: Recommended for advanced players. It's low health and fragility make it an easy target. It also has a terrible attack. It is great for support though, remember to revive, revive and revive all the time. Once you master it, you can rack up a lot of "kill" points. Gardens and Graveyards is a great place to start using them.

-Chomper: Also recommended for advanced players, but for different reasons. This bad boy is SLOW and huge, which puts you at disadvantages, and makes you an easy target. But it has the highest health meter of all the plants, and can kill opponents with one hit by eating them. Is great to use them in Team Vanquish.

-Cactus: Great for new players, but has a higher learning curve than the peashooter. It is also not as versatile in the play style. It is a "sniper" class, which is not good in close combat, but makes it great for defending targets, and supporting teammates. It's onion drone makes it easy to pick opponents from far away. It is my favorite class on the plant side.

Zombies
Soldier- Same characteristic as the peashooter, but with a lower attack. It makes up for it by having a rocket luncher, and toxic grenades, which makes you think twice before going head to head with him. Great for new players.

Scientist- Advanced players only, as this zombies are extremely hard to master. It has the lowest health of the zombies, and it is only good at killing at close range. You do the math. The scientist is great for healing people, and it also has sticky grenades. If you are using it, please revive AND heal. Don't be that guy. Oh, and it also teleports. It is my favorite class on the zombie side.

Engineer- I love the shotgun power of this class, as it does splash damage! Recommended for veterans, because it is fat and slow. As the cactus, is the only other class that can fly drones. Great class for support.

All-Star- Deadliest of all the zombies and great for new players. It has a lot of health, which makes it feel like a tank. It is also fairly fast. It is great for kill assists and suppressing the opponent. It's only disadvantage is its size, which makes it stand out and be an easy target. Keep that in mind when using it, and you will be fine.

I hope that little guide helps. I'm not an expert on the game (rank 27), but by playing each class focusing on their strength, I've really enjoyed my first week with the game.

Loomba

Are you playing Welcome Mat or "classic"?

Never had that issue, like Dallow said though maybe you're playing the default character modes.

Happened to me a couple of times. Seemed to happen after customizing outfits and stuff. Quitting and rejoining has always fixed it right away.

Thanks guys, BlewHedgehog won hehe (I wasn't joining a classic game)

I think it was because I was in a game and skipped a challenge then immediately switched teams, game must have gotten confused.

I closed the game and reopened it and it fixed itself, weird though.

Sora_N

For the people getting the game late, I just want to give some tips and facts about each vanilla classes in the game:
Plants
- Peashooter: The most deadly of all the plants in the right hands. It is also great for new people just getting into the game, because it is easy to master. It's only downside is having low health, which can be a problem against good players.

-Sunflower: Recommended for advanced players. It's low health and fragility make it an easy target. It also has a terrible attack. It is great for support though, remember to revive, revive and revive all the time. Once you master it, you can rack up a lot of "kill" points. Gardens and Graveyards is a great place to start using them.

-Chomper: Also recommended for advanced players, but for different reasons. This bad boy is SLOW and huge, which puts you at disadvantages, and makes you an easy target. But it has the highest health meter of all the plants, and can kill opponents with one hit by eating them. Is great to use them in Team Vanquish.

-Cactus: Great for new players, but has a higher learning curve than the peashooter. It is also not as versatile in the play style. It is a "sniper" class, which is not good in close combat, but makes it great for defending targets, and supporting teammates. It's onion drone makes it easy to pick opponents from far away. It is my favorite class on the plant side.

Zombies
Soldier- Same characteristic as the peashooter, but with a lower attack. It makes up for it by having a rocket luncher, and toxic grenades, which makes you think twice before going head to head with him. Great for new players.

Scientist- Advanced players only, as this zombies are extremely hard to master. It has the lowest health of the zombies, and it is only good at killing at close range. You do the math. The scientist is great for healing people, and it also has sticky grenades. If you are using it, please revive AND heal. Don't be that guy. Oh, and it also teleports. It is my favorite class on the zombie side.

Engineer- I love the shotgun power of this class, as it does splash damage! Recommended for veterans, because it is fat and slow. As the cactus, is the only other class that can fly drones. Great class for support.

All-Star- Deadliest of all the zombies and great for new players. It has a lot of health, which makes it feel like a tank. It is also fairly fast. It is great for kill assists and suppressing the opponent. It's only disadvantage is its size, which makes it stand out and be an easy target. Keep that in mind when using it, and you will be fine.

I hope that little guide helps. I'm not an expert on the game (rank 27), but by playing each class focusing on their strength, I've really enjoyed my first week with the game.

Thanks for that, I pretty much figured all the classes out myself other than Scientist where your post explains his gun.

I unlocked Tank Commando Zombie today, that one shot rocket launcher gun was really offputting to me since I'm not great at aiming lol.

My favourite Plant is Cactus > Peashooter. I can't play Chomper or Sunflower at all.

I really like playing Soldier mostly, and sometimes All-Star. I couldn't get into Engineer and found Scientist really hard to use.

I'm 'grinding' each class to level 5 for that trophy atm though, sometimes it's annoying when they force me to revive people.

Scientists are pretty easy to play once you get one of the "shotgun" style guns.

I don't know why they don't start the base Scientist with one.

Majora

As someone who isn't a particularly great shot I find the sunflower the easiest class to use. I'm pretty selfless and you can easily rack up a ton of points by healing and reviving loads of people. Often the garden vs graveyards game can end and I'll be 2nd/3rd in my team with only 3 or 4 kills because I've helped so many people out.

It's really annoying watching other sunflowers barely helping out at all. In a 1 on 1 they're pretty much always going to lose, attack wise they're only useful for occasionally chipping in. If you're playing as a sunflower and not spending most of your time looking after your teammates then you've picked the wrong class, especially given that they revive teammates about 3 times quicker than the other plant classes.

Personally I love playing every zombie class. Especially the tank commander. I do not really enjoy the plants. Law pea is decent with sombrero bean bomb and I like the fire cactus but I'm still always bummed when I have to play as plants

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Garden Ops still works fine. It's just the matchmaking that doesn't work. You can still invite/join friends and play solo.

My friend and I can't join each others games when he invites me, or vice versa.
We were only able to play when he made a specific map/difficulty and I just searched for it hoping the matchmaking put us together.

Frenden

Banned
There's a "servers will be down for maintenance" notification on the billboard in the main menu. Maybe it's related.

I still can't connect to any Garden Ops matches. They're the only trophies I need left to platinum, boo.

yea that's what I was thinking too, updates usually roll on Tuesday with the new games. i wanted to do a challenge but couldn't find any G-ops games. i started one of my own though but nobody joined.

-MD-

There's a "servers will be down for maintenance" notification on the billboard in the main menu. Maybe it's related.

I still can't connect to any Garden Ops matches. They're the only trophies I need left to platinum, boo.

yea that's what I was thinking too, updates usually roll on Tuesday with the new games. i wanted to do a challenge but couldn't find any G-ops games. i started one of my own though but nobody joined.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PvZGardenWarfare/comments/2furd2/pvzgw_garden_ops_match_making_fix_incoming/

bLaiSe

I wish this game had some kind of upgrade program. I bought it for my brother on PS3 and we were playing split-screen the other day. It's so much fun! I just can't justify paying for it again on PS4. :/ Maybe I'll get it on a sale one day.

Clipse

Got my PS4 today and will be downloading this game tomorrow after my 1TB SSHD arrives! Would love to play with some Gaffers! PSN ID is Dudemeister329

Liberty4all

Banned
Oh wow, I unlocked the upgrade that let's you warp the scientist as an energy ball ... such a difference in my playstyle with him now.

Mindlog

Oh wow, I unlocked the upgrade that let's you warp the scientist as an energy ball ... such a difference in my playstyle with him now.
It's an extremely powerful tool for invading the mansion.
Still prefer 2 warps for killing though.
Tried cheesy warp, but didn't find the damage to be worth giving up another jump. May give it another go some time.

SiDCrAzY

PSN ID: SiDCrAzYY

I only have a couple of people on my friends list that play this, wouldn't mind some more :)

Great game, favorite game this gen so far.(unless I count The Last of Us Remastered).

Liberty4all

Banned
Man, I need to play this more! That sounds awesome...

I play a couple rounds daily or at least try to. My goal is to unlock one 20k booster a day minimum.

I still want to spend more time with Diablo III too but I find Diablo is much more of a time commitment. An awesome time commitment mind you but one that I can barely afford. With Diablo I log on and will spend 40 minutes selling, equipping, preparing to fight. With this game I just log on and go. Don't get me wrong I love Diablo but I really do like how Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare is kind to the time deficient of us.

Sora_N

PSN ID: SiDCrAzYY

I only have a couple of people on my friends list that play this, wouldn't mind some more :)

Great game, favorite game this gen so far.(unless I count The Last of Us Remastered).

I will add you. If anyone else wants please add me too Aisutron. There's not many other PS4 games I will buy so I think I'd be playing this for a while

I play a couple rounds daily or at least try to. My goal is to unlock one 20k booster a day minimum.

I still want to spend more time with Diablo III too but I find Diablo is much more of a time commitment. An awesome time commitment mind you but one that I can barely afford. With Diablo I log on and will spend 40 minutes selling, equipping, preparing to fight. With this game I just log on and go. Don't get me wrong I love Diablo but I really do like how Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare is kind to the time deficient of us.

It can get addictive but it is great since I don't have a lot of time

Just saw this on Facebook. Looks like a community event similar to the old ME3 multiplayer:

This weekend, heal your way to a give away. We are running a community event, across all platforms, all weekend long, and the participation rewards are worth their weight in brainz:

Scientist Bust a Heal

· Community Goal 1: Get 250,000 revives with the Scientist

o Reward: Super Duper Pack

· Community Goal 2: Get 300,000 heals with the Scientist

o Reward: Supremium Pack + Mysterious Character Pack

Sunflower Bust a Heal

· Goal 1: Get 250,000 revives with the Sunflower

o Reward: Craaazy Pack

· Goal 2: Get 300,000 heals with the Sunflower

o Reward: Supremium Pack + Zomboss Down Pack

The Bust a Heal community event will run from 6.00pm PDT September 12th to 6.00pm PDT September 15th. Get Healing!

SiDCrAzY

Yeah, the game is so much fun. I love it, it's beautiful.

iZf5oEk4j5hSB.gif

I will add you.

Thanks for the add, I have about five people on my list that have played this game now.

So, I'm just missing 2 trophies. Getting to rank 10 with one class and getting to rank 50. But I feel I'm doing something wrong, since it's taking forever. Should I try to do this purely by getting sticker stars from packets? I'm currently rank 8 with the foot soldier, and some of the challenges are just ridiculous and based on luck. Specially since the community is so active. Help!

-MD-

I think I'm done with the game until the Suburbination DLC comes out. I don't know what's taking so long on it.

You haven't even had the game a month yet and got all that extra content right out of the gate that Xbox/PC players waited 2-6 months for and you're done?

VanWinkle

You haven't even had the game a month yet and got all that extra content right out of the gate that Xbox/PC players waited 2-6 months for and you're done?

I'm not extremely bored by the game or anything. I just have Destiny to play now but I'll come back to it when the Suburbination DLC comes out. And I don't know why it hasn't come out yet since it released like a month ago on other platforms.

Nexfero

Neo Member
So, I just missing 2 trophies. Getting to rank 10 with one class and getting to rank 50. But I feel I'm doing something wrong, since it's taking forever. Should I try to do this purely by getting sticker stars from packets? I'm currently rank 8 with the foot soldier, and some of the challenges are just ridiculous and based on luck. Specially since the community is so active. Help!
You need to play all other classes, plant and zombies. If you don't it's going to take you a very long time playing only one character. Since higher the rank requires more and harder challenges. I've been hoarding the skip challange stars for later challenges, currently have around 200. If you get all other characters to rank 7 you'll reach rank 50.

Nexfero

Neo Member
The PS4 already has the new map from suburbination right? The golf map for gardens versus graveyards mode?
No, that's from the Zomboss Down DLC.
The new DLC includes two new Garden Ops bosses, new Pea Shooter variant, and a new map and play mode. Also new bling customizable items.

Top Bottom