• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pyre |OT| We Carry The Fire

I'm about 5 hours into the game and I'm struggling to find the motivation to continue. Everything about it from the trial mechanics to the writing is just a plain ok so far, and nothing is really driving me to keep playing. I guess I'll play a bit more, but I wish the actual sports game was better. Very little of the character roster juggling and itemization actually seems to matter much for that.

Just started last night after having this since launch. I am only 2 rites in, but shocker....I am loving it. The style, writing, and...combat/soccer game? It is great.

Just started last night after having this since launch. I am only 2 rites in, but shocker....I am loving it. The style, writing, and...combat/soccer game? It is great.

Yeah, even omitting everything else, the trials are just really fun gameplay-wise.

Really hope that Supergiant can patch in online play one day. Would be so cool.

My favourite Super Giant game to date. It's been a while since a game made me care so much about the characters. I was putting myself at a disadvantage by
sending my favourite characters back to the Commonwealth because I felt like they deserved it
which feels like a really unique decision to make. I can't recall another game that made choices matter so much both narratively and mechanically.

DNAbro

Started playing the game yesterday and beat it today. This might be my new favorite Supergiant game. Easily my fav from a storytelling perspective. I think the OST is weaker than both Bastion and Transistor though.

I absolutely loved my ending.
I ended up losing one of the liberation battles against the Harpy team and losing that ended up being as interesting as winning. Pamitha had some interesting development because of it. Not winning made the final choice way harder. I kept Hedwyn down to the very last liberation cause I felt like he was that kind of person and when the final choice came to send him or the reader, Hedwyn telling me to take his spot made me a bit emotional. I did take it.

Also in the epilogue his loved one cast her self down into exile in order to be with him just made it better.
'

Fantastic game. Currently in my top 5 for the year in one of the best years of gaming.

hydruxo

Started playing the game yesterday and beat it today. This might be my new favorite Supergiant game. Easily my fav from a storytelling perspective. I think the OST is weaker than both Bastion and Transistor though.

I absolutely loved my ending.
I ended up losing one of the liberation battles against the Harpy team and losing that ended up being as interesting as winning. Pamitha had some interesting development because of it. Not winning made the final choice way harder. I kept Hedwyn down to the very last liberation cause I felt like he was that kind of person and when the final choice came to send him or the reader, Hedwyn telling me to take his spot made me a bit emotional. I did take it.

Also in the epilogue his loved one cast her self down into exile in order to be with him just made it better.
'

Fantastic game. Currently in my top 5 for the year in one of the best years of gaming.

I felt like the Pyre OST was a lot better than the Bastion/Transistor OSTs personally. At least, for me the songs stood out more in Pyre especially with how Darren played with all the different genres and vocal tracks. It just fit the game so well.

I agree with you about the game as a whole though, it's easily my favorite SG game.

gunstarhero

Anyone else getting really bad frame drops on PS4 Pro? It's especially bad with the worm character.

Spoiler question:
how many people do you need to send off to beat the game? Just wondering how much more of the game I have left - I'm returned my first character, and am about 3 matches in after that...

Roussow

Anyone else getting really bad frame drops on PS4 Pro? It's especially bad with the worm character.

Spoiler question:
how many people do you need to send off to beat the game? Just wondering how much more of the game I have left - I'm returned my first character, and am about 3 matches in after that...

There are
26 total
Rites, and
6 Liberation
Rites. The latter Rites become available in increasing frequency as the game goes on,
you don't need to successfully liberate anyone or win any matches to finish the game from what I understand, just show up.

God damn it. Another game that on paper i should like and in reality i am finding unexciting.

I think it is me, not the game.

It took me about half the game for the Rite's to actually click properly, by the end I was glad I bumped the difficulty up, forced me to play better. If some individual characters don't click for you after a while, don't be afraid to respec with an item bought from the shop, I had plenty of cash during my run, and they're pretty cheap to grab. I didn't take the speed perks for Ti'zo initially and before I reallocated points he pretty much stayed on the bench for the entire game, after that he became a mainstay. The story gets a massive bump in momentum after most of the party members are introduced, too.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I just beat the game and definitely my favorite SuperGiant game.

I thought it was pretty straight forward as far as who to send home in order to get the plan to work. I figured I got the "best end" aka the completely peaceful dismantling of the Commonwealth. I also went undefeated on normal with 5-8 titan modifiers enabled. Only times I reset were during the Sandra Trials, although the very last liberation rite was down to whoever scored next.

I released (in order): Hedwyn, Jodariel, Rukey, Ti'Zo, Gilman, Pamitha, and Volfred. Fae and Bertha seemed to be fine staying down below and didn't really seem to provide anything for the revolt. The ending confirmed it since Fae and Alber became buddies and Bertha is just taking care of business. Also it didn't hurt that my Fae was a god. +8 quickness talisman + infinite stamina while holding the ball + no delay on sprints/jumps.

The only thing that I regret is letting go of Hedwyn so early because I never got to unlock his trinket, which I'm assuming locked me out of a conversation with Sandra. Was wondering if I could actually free her soul. However, I took her with me when she offered because she's rad.

Great game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just finished the game after a 5-hour session.

Those credits...

SuperGiant is officially my favorite videogame studio.

I just beat the game and definitely my favorite SuperGiant game.

I thought it was pretty straight forward as far as who to send home in order to get the plan to work. I figured I got the "best end" aka the completely peaceful dismantling of the Commonwealth. I also went undefeated on normal with 5-8 titan modifiers enabled. Only times I reset were during the Sandra Trials, although the very last liberation rite was down to whoever scored next.

I released (in order): Hedwyn, Jodariel, Rukey, Ti'Zo, Gilman, Pamitha, and Volfred. Fae and Bertha seemed to be fine staying down below and didn't really seem to provide anything for the revolt. The ending confirmed it since Fae and Alber became buddies and Bertha is just taking care of business. Also it didn't hurt that my Fae was a god. +8 quickness talisman + infinite stamina while holding the ball + no delay on sprints/jumps.

The only thing that I regret is letting go of Hedwyn so early because I never got to unlock his trinket, which I'm assuming locked me out of a conversation with Sandra. Was wondering if I could actually free her soul. However, I took her with me when she offered because she's rad.

Great game.

Phae (heh) actually has a pretty awesome post-liberation ending.

robotrock

Banned
Finally got around to finishing this! I liked it a bunch, might be my favorite Supergiant game. But I got super bummed when (Pyre Spoilers!!)
not everyone regained freedom. I can't believe there was no way to actually get everyone over to the Commonwealth.
Maybe I just play too many JRPGs or something but this came out of nowhere and hurt my feelings.

Incredible cast of characters though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm about 5 hours into the game and I'm struggling to find the motivation to continue. Everything about it from the trial mechanics to the writing is just a plain ok so far, and nothing is really driving me to keep playing. I guess I'll play a bit more, but I wish the actual sports game was better. Very little of the character roster juggling and itemization actually seems to matter much for that.

I'm kind of in the same boat.
Jury is still out for me. I may have let my expectations get the better of me - not in terms of quality, Pyre is certainly a quality product - but I may have had in mind this experience followed the trend of the studios after Transistor, but instead it's something entirely new.

Transistor is one of my favorite titles ever, so Pyre's play style and emotional journey are such a different breed I'm having trouble connecting as much. 5 hours in, and while the lore and characters are and style are really engaging, the overall package in struggling a little to connect with. Maybe it's too menu-dependent for me, I feel very distant from the world. Not sure.

I'll keep going, but likely slowly.

How long is a playthru?
I just got the winged lady.

megalowho

How long is a playthru?
I just got the winged lady.
12 hours, give or take a few. There's some significant story beats and reveals right around the corner, which brings more clarity to the proceedings and opens up opportunities for connecting with the cast and themes. Once you're able to nudge the story along as you see fit I found myself getting more invested.

I didn't enjoy this game at all, after about 4 hours, the game turned into a slog.

The story just didn't excite me, and most of the characters were either bland or annoying.

Also after awhile the choices you make just don't seem to matter.

In the latter half of the game and I think I will stop playing. Playing this game vs. high level CPU is the most frustrating thing I've done this year. It has all the hallmarks of playing against arcade in a fighting game + extra questionable/inconsistent hitboxes and rules. Ends up being way undercooked I think as a game mode. It's fun for a bit until you actually have to pay attention, at which point the CPU is basically exploiting being able to see everything/everyone and access/think about it at the same time. Not as good as Transistor in any capacity.

Somehow has no replays which you could use to maybe figure out/get a chance to actually see how you got scored on, but also you can't skip anything.

Slixshot

Banned
I finally got back to this for a moment today. What an amazing game this is. The style is unmatched. Might be the best looking game I've played. The game just sets up this amazing atmosphere. I want to know more about everything! Oh and actually playing it is so fun!

SoraNoKuni

I am about to get this, I really loved both of their previous titles a lot.

For some weird reason Pyre seems to have a lot less hype in contrast with bastion and transistor though.
I wonder why, I hope it'll sell good though.

hydruxo

For some weird reason Pyre seems to have a lot less hype in contrast with bastion and transistor though.

I think people don't know what to make of the gameplay on first glance at it. I know for a long time I thought it looked gorgeous but I didn't really get the gameplay. I had to watch some more in-depth gameplay videos for it to click and when I bought it and started playing I really got into it. So yeah, I think it's more niche than Bastion and Transistor were.

BTA

I think people don't know what to make of the gameplay on first glance at it. I know for a long time I thought it looked gorgeous but I didn't really get the gameplay. I had to watch some more in-depth gameplay videos for it to click and when I bought it and started playing I really got into it. So yeah, I think it's more niche than Bastion and Transistor were.

I was kinda offput by the little I saw of it despite loving Transistor (and being hyped for Transistor since its first trailer). Maybe I should have watched one of the trailers more, since looking back it also had a song (In the Flame, which I somehow forgot existed till this week despite being a fantastic song? the soundtrack tracklist needs to not be ordered so weirdly) that would have gotten me to rewatch/relisten a few times like Transistor's.

And now it's one of my favorite games ever so... agreed, hah.

Cronen

I really liked the game but felt that it maybe went on a little longer than it should have. Overall, it's well worth checking out.

Also, the ending:
the way the song lyrics change based on your choices was fantastic.

Slixshot

Banned

The SuperGiant team has been great about getting their games on as many platforms as possible. I tweeted at GKasavin today asking about a possible switch port and he said no plans as of now, but this NBA jam esque game seems like it would be such a great game to play on the go and with couch coop.

Also, enjoy the game :)

I finished the game a few days ago and enjoyed it a little more than Transistor which I also really liked. All of the characters were really memorable, music was fantastic, art was interesting and the game did just enough to change things up along the way to keep it fresh enough despite it sticking very closely to a simple structure.

I cant say enough good things about the gameplay of the Rites. The concept of the Rites "sport" is brilliant and I think could have made a hell of a competitive game with all the nuance and strategy available. I played the game in a relatively straightforward way but noticed some really interesting concepts from the opposition A.I. that I think were just scratching the surface on what you can potentially do. I had so many tense moments with the gameplay, with miracle comebacks and incredible clutch plays, especially in the important matches where the stakes are high. Ive pondered ovee how the game would play in 3 v 3 with all humans, and wonder if that was ever play-tested.

Another awesome creation from Supergiant Games who are 3 for 3 for me with top tier indie games.

Weebos

Banned
Looks like a new mode just dropped on PC: http://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/pyre-free-true-nightwing-update-out-now/

· Base difficulty same as Heightened.
· All Titan Stars unlocked, and some must be used.
· Enlightenment required to rank up re-scaled.
· Cannot load checkpoints or restart Rites.
· Book of Rites and White Lute fully unlocked.
· Slugmarket inventory fully unlocked.
· Feats of Glory introduced much sooner.
· Note: Once chosen, this setting cannot be changed.

Looks like a "New Game +" style mode, which is enough to get me to play it again.

I finished this game about a week ago. I loved it, easily my GOTY and a 9/10 for me! The music and art were always great, but I had problems with the gameplay until I began to use my controller (I was previously using mouse and keyboard controls). Towards the end I was really, really into it. Voice acting was also well done, although a part of me wishes that they spoke English instead of their Latin-Esque Mumble Bumble.
Although that would have made the part where Volfred looks at you and says "I can read too, my girl." less awesome.

I freed:

Jodariel
Hedwyn
Rukey
Ti'Zo
Sir Gilman
Tamitha
And Me/Reader. I made it so that I lost to Oralech in the last rite, and then I helped him with his dilemma so that he ended up allowing me to leave.

Then...

I left Shae, Big Bertrude, Volfred and Pamitha. Shae I left because I felt that she wouldn't do well in the Commonwealth, although in retrospect I probably should have freed her too. Big Bertrude seems happier in Downside than she would in the commonwealth. Volfred I feel could've went either way. Pamitha left because her sister begged for her so I threw the match, but I think me letting her go is what made my revolution sort of violent.

Also, I had a question about a bit of the ending....

I didn't get the relationship between Celeste and Tariq. I mean, I think they're meant to be lovers/spouses because of that one duet they do near the end of the game as well as how love-lorn Tariq acts every time you go to the Gate, but I can't understand how they ended up in their position? Did they volunteer to do this? Are they spirits?

Top Bottom