• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Q&A: What Makes A Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich?"

norm9

And for crying out loud, stop balking at the mayo thing. I do it all the time you can barely notice a difference and the flavour is awesome. I had a monterrey jack and jalapeno cheddar grilled cheese with tomato and bacon the other day and it was delicious.

American cheddar, for crying out loud. First Trump and now this, you Yankee's are spiraling out of control down there.

So you had partial frankenstein BLT with cheese.

Why does everyone want to ruin food with mayonnaise?

riotous

Banned
it isn't perfect unless its fast casual served in butcher paper on a wood plank, possibly on a miniature skillet because rustic urban visceral and the name of the place is called GRLD

GRLD : Artisan Cheese Grillery

Instead of cash registers they use antique typewriters; "Let me just type out a proof of purchase voucher here on Ebby" (since you don't want customers thinking you say stupid words like receipt and don't name your antique typewriters.) Do something ironic like offer all compostable utensils and advertise how green you are but then run a gas generator to power some 80s arcade machines outside.

DJ_Lae

If I'm going to have a straight up grilled cheese I'll go for nostalgia and shit ingredients because that's the way it's supposed to be.

White wonder bread, processed cheese slice, and motherfucking mayo on the outside as it makes a better sear. Butter is fine too but really, it's basically a waste as we're not dealing with top shelf cheese or anything.

And pair that with a can of Campbell's condensed tomato soup for the complete processed sodium bomb of awesomeness. Makes me feel like a kid again.

jts

...hate me...
anyone got that terrible euro grilled cheese with 2 pieces of toasts and a cheese slabbed in the middle, picture from the other thread. I feel like we need to shame it some more.
img_5844_156999231.jpg

Anyone else here like to have grilled cheese with Tomato soup?

How is that grilled?

TheExodu5

Banned
Mayonaise makes sense in a food truck since he needs to cook these quickly.

But at home? Dense bread, sharp cheese, lots of butter, and cook it low and slow. I take about 10-15 minutes to cook a perfect grilled cheese. Bonus points and added flavor for using salted cultured butter.

Serve with some pickles and tomato soup.

Hazmat

The star is the combination of the bread, butter, and cheese. It's a team effort.

Of course all three factor in, but the star is the cheese. You basically have two options when you make a grilled cheese: what bread and what cheese (butter is butter). If I, and I assume most others, had to choose between excellent bread and Kraft Singles or Wonderbread and excellent cheese, it's Wonderbread and excellent cheese every damn time. And I don't hate American cheese completely, it goes damn well on a burger, but it makes for a sad food-stamp grilled cheese.

Zoe

I'm with you, OP! Forget all the haters, American cheese is just cheddar cheese with more milk content to make it melt smoother.

Xis

You have to use at least some American cheese or Velveeta; other cheeses don't melt the same way. I usually make mine with one slice American / one slice sharp Cheddar. (I also put ham in mine, and the wife likes spicy mustard on hers so I am stretching the definition a bit...)

anyone got that terrible euro grilled cheese with 2 pieces of toasts and a cheese slabbed in the middle, picture from the other thread. I feel like we need to shame it some more.
img_5844_156999231.jpg

Terrible? Why would you grill a delicious slice of bread with some good cheese.

TheExodu5

Banned
I need to try aged Beemster in a grilled cheese. It's made the best mac & cheese I've ever had...gotta be good in a grilled cheese.

norm9

Decrying mayonaise and perfectly normal cheeses while stanning for American "cheese"...you some kind of picky eater, OP?

Least picky eater ever as evidenced by my liking american cheese. And mayonnaise is for fools, but it's still around so people must be buying.

typically what makes a perfect grilled cheese is the tomato/vegetable soup served alongside it

I don't anyone who has tomato soup sitting in their pantry readily available. I mean, I do, but that's because I've been hankering for grilled cheese lately. But normally, no soup in my house.

I would say it is a grilled cheese has to be primarily cheese inside. I.E. mostly cheese and just a little bacon or whatever added.

So you believe a grilled cheese sandwich is a bacon cheese melt?

Fuchsdh

While other cheeses might be "better" than a grilled cheese with American, I think the nostalgia-fueled taste of an American cheese grilled cheese is probably king if you grew up with it. Since I don't normally have American slices on hand, I usually make it with sharp cheddar.

Serrato

We've had Steak, Coffee, Tea, *insert meal* snobs.

But grilled cheese snobs? Jeez.

Who cares how people like theirs.

Personally I like mine with some Canadian Bacon and Onions and some mild old cheddar.

Fuchsdh

We've had Steak, Coffee, Tea, *insert meal* snobs.

But grilled cheese snobs? Jeez.

Who cares how people like theirs.

Personally I like mine with some Canadian Bacon and Onions and some mild old cheddar.

But this is serious business

(But I don't add stuff to my grilled cheese.)

Futureman

Dunno man, I grew up poor as fuck but we always ate real cheese. Then again I'm not American.

That stuff is foul.

Oh hey Mister 1%. Whenever you go to the opera do you sit in the general admission or do you have your own private balcony?

i've eaten from the grilled cheese truck. Not bad. I liked the Mac & Cheese one.

Anyway, Trader Joe's has a BACON CHEDDAR which I put on their sourdough bread for a grilled cheese and it is really fucking yummy.

Bustanen

img_5844_156999231.jpg

Hey that's real cheese at least compared to American cheese-like substance.

Amory

Y'all are ridiculous in your hate for American cheese. Is it my favorite? Nah. But it's got a good flavor for sandwiches and that's literally all it's used for

No one is serving American cheese with some grapes or whatever

Top Bottom