• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q1 of 2017 is ending, what are your thoughts on it?

I haven't purchased any games released this quarter, but i reckon it will go down as one of those that people remember with fondness and nostalgia in years to come. Lots of incredible titles, and it's very refreshing to see so many well recieved Asian titles amongst the line up too.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
It was pure madness and I'm going to spend a hopefully quieter q2 trying to recover from it(slash getting to like the 3-4 games I missed out on)

SLOW THE FUCK DOWN!

I have yet to beat Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Horizon, Zelda, Shovel Knight, Nier and now Persona 5 is knocking on the door ready to let a bunch of Q2 releases in.

I played Yakuza 0, Tales of Berseria, and Nier: Automata this quarter. I had to wait on several games I think I'll really enjoy, like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Resident Evil 7, and BoTW. I'm sure I'll love them when I get to them; I'm actually looking forward to the next slow release month.

I think what I like best about this quarter is how much variety it had. I had the chance to weigh a lot of appealing options against each other and choose the games that best aligned with my mood.

Wagram

It's awesome. Every game has been a lot of fun. Top 3 so far:

1.) Horizon: Zero Dawn
2.) Gravity Rush 2
3.) Nier Automata

In the midst of Zelda right now. Still have Resident Evil 7, Yakuza 0, and Mass Effect to go.

RE VR was amazing, Yakuza 0 even better (ch9 so far + a shitload of side stuff to do).
Will pick up GR2 and Nier dirt cheap later this year. Horizon is fantastic too.
And now P5 is already knocking on the door. :(

2015 with Witcher 3 and Bloodborne was brilliant. This quarter of gaming is absolutely the best in a long time. Great games across multiple formats and a new Nintendo system.

Andrew J.

It's been pretty packed, that's for sure.

Something interesting I've noticed: 7 out of the top ten most anticipated games came out in Q1, 8 if you count Persona 5, which is missing the cutoff by just a few days.5 of those have release dates in the five-week period from February 28 to April 4.

...I haven't played any of the games in the OP except Shovel Knight :(

I got Breath of the Wild... just need to find a Switch to play it on. My Q1 was spent playing Yoshi's Wooly World, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, Crusader Kings II, Stardew Valley and goofing around in my old N64 save files (Majora's Mask and DK64 mostly)

My favorite game I played this quarter was definitely Heroine's Quest: Herald of Ragnarok, a masterpiece... and it was free :D

FirLocke

Insanely good. And that's just with Gravity Rush, Horizon and Zelda for me. Nioh, Nier and Yakuza are must buys for this year.

Gotta make room for Persona though. :)

Solid. I cant imagine anyone who plays games could have gotten through these first 3 months without falling in love with at least one of these.

Kanann

Gravity Rush = Great
RE7 = G.Great
Nioh = G.G.G.G.Great
Nier: Automata = Greatest
Horizon = Good
Zelda = G.G.Grestest

Tales of Berseria and DQVIII and Persona 5 are all Gx100 Great too, but I already playing them last year.

Amazingly, I finished all of those above alive.

Hindl

Zelda. Nuff said

But still enjoying Yakuza 0, and have Horizon + Nioh on the backlog. And Persona 5 is basically Q1

sym30l1c

I played and finished Yakuza 0, Nioh and Horizon ZD, and loved all of them.
Next on my list are ME Andromeda, Sniper Elite 4 and Nier Automata...that should keep me busy until summer.

A very strong quarter, though I didn't play a single AAA release.

Still a bang-up Q1 for smaller releases. Couldn't have been happier.

** Due out Friday. Day One purchase.

This is a great post; thanks for making it. I was planning on buying Night in the Woods, but I wound up going out of town the day it was released. Sure I'll get to it later this year! A lot of the other games you listed here are new to me.

I'm especially interested in Oxygen Not Included! I'm a huge Don't Starve fan, and a Klei space colony game seems right up my alley.

tjlee2

Neo Member
I think this is the first time I have a real backlog of new releases, and I am sure I will enjoy all of them.

Tales of Berseria (Currently working on)
SRW V
Nier Automata
DS3 DLC (Not a new release but will still take up a decent amount of my time)

I will likely pick up a Switch if Xenoblade 2 turns out well, and of course get Zelda along with it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I platinumed Horizon and its seriously probably my favorite Sony first party exclusive (Bloodborne qualifies as second party right)

I moved onto Zelda now with Nier Automata waiting for me. A friend will lend me RE7 when I see him next.

Its honestly probably one of, if not the best Q1 I can remember but to be honest, Im ready for Persona 5.

Elios83

It was amazing and I think that the success of most of the games released during the period will change the way that many publishers will plan their release dates going forward.
Q4 will continue to be dominated by a few mega blockbusters while other games will be moved to other periods of the year. This will lead to a better spread of release dates which imo is a good thing for gamers.

MrS

Banned
It's been a blast. Nioh still my GOTY so far. Really excited for Strafe and Tekken 7 in Q2.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Best quarter of gaming for me personally. I own the last 4 games in the image in the OP. I love it.

FiraB

Banned
My wallet is screaming. Thankfully I had almost beat my backlog before the onslaught began and have a good few months of games to keep me busy until deatiny 2.

MoonFrog

I've still got Nier, Nioh, and Blastermaster Zero to work on as to new games, with Persona 5 looming in the background.

Played Zelda, Resident Evil VII, and Yakuza 0 already. Really fucking strong, with Zelda headlining as a game of the generation sort of deal. Resident Evil VII is such a good step towards a survival horror game I like for the franchise; feel so much better about that old love now. Yakuza 0 was a great introduction into a series I've missed and a great remainder as to how much I like good Yakuza movies.

But really, this also comes off a holiday where I played (for the first time) TLG, DQ Builders, FFXV, Ghost Trick, and VLR into January, with FFXV being the only really questionable one among the bunch.

Also still working on Radiant Historia and Bloodborne (for the first time), although the latter has been sort of tabled after I lost steam while on a trip west in late January.

Idk. I had an incredibly strong fall and summer too. I have plenty of classics I want to finish/play sitting around.

And again, P5 is almost here.

Edit: I played the DQVIII remake, too. Was nice/interesting to go back to it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I thought it was "meh".
Tales of Berseria was really good, but it's also the only game I've bought all year so far.

SLOW THE FUCK DOWN!

I have yet to beat Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Horizon, Zelda, Shovel Knight, Nier and now Persona 5 is knocking on the door ready to let a bunch of Q2 releases in.
I had to cancel like 4 preorders this week cuz I know damn well I'm not even going to touch them past installation.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fixed it

S0h1RPq.png

(Disclaimer: I am a big Mass Effect fan but Andromeda is such a disappointment on many different level that I feel like it just doesn't deserve to be in the hall of the ''Quality Q1 2017 Titles'' )

Yea, I haven't even played Yakuza 0 yet, but am surprised it wasn't included given how nuts this forum has been for it.

I'd also add Berseria as well though...

juicyb

I'm still working on Horizon: Zero Dawn atm. After I finish that my next decision will be to purchase Yakuza 0, Tales of Berseria, Nier:Automata, or Nioh. My god lol that's so much gaming. It's been a great quarter not only for quality, but also quantity. A lot of these games are lengthy as well.

I don't know too much about Q2 other then Persona 5 is a day one purchase.

T-Rex.

Banned
NieR is one of the best games I've ever played so it's been fantastic for me. I've also had a lot of fun playing Fate/Extella, Resident Evil and Berseria.

mackmoney

I bought pretty much every major release this quarter. The quarter was very good but not sure if it is extraordinary.

BotW is the best of the bunch and is the only one bordering on a classic. Horizon is very good. RE7 was revitalizing. Aside from these 3, a lot of 7/10 games.

Nier and Nioh while good games are a bit overstated in the sense that these are two nice 7/10 games your see come out in any quarter. They're not exceptional per se. They don't rank higher than a For Honor in my estimation.

Yakuza 0 while good is a late release and is another Yakuza game. Gravity Rush 2 I think I like more than most but also is another Gravity Rush game. Meaning that could easily have padre on both games because the predecessors have matched or surpassed them.

Zelda and Horizon are what carry this quarter by a wide margin.

I bought pretty much every major release this quarter. The quarter was very good but not sure if it is extraordinary.

BotW is the best of the bunch and is the only one bordering on a classic. Horizon is very good. RE7 was revitalizing. Aside from these 3, a lot of 7/10 games.

Nier and Nioh while good games are a bit overstated in the sense that these are two nice 7/10 games your see come out in any quarter. They're not exceptional per se. They don't rank higher than a For Honor in my estimation.

Yakuza 0 while good is a late release and is another Yakuza game. Gravity Rush 2 I think I like more than most but also is another Gravity Rush game. Meaning that could easily have padre on both games because the predecessors have matched or surpassed them.

Zelda and Horizon are what carry this quarter by a wide margin.

While I don't agree with everything in this post (I think you're undervaluing games like Nioh and Nier, for example), I do agree with its overall premise.

I think if you take Zelda out of the equation, you're left with a very strong quarter. Its inclusion single-handedly changes it from a strong quarter to a truly remarkable one.

Top Bottom