• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions: $30 for paid version, Doom Slayer added, 6 new heroes by end of 2018

I played the beta and wasn't sure I'd get it. Then they added the Doom Slayer, and now I'm getting it early next month.

Also, please, there's a difference. Doomguy was the protag for Doom, The Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom. The Marine (or Doom Marine) was the protagonist of Doom 3. The Combat Engineer was the protagonist for Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil. Finally, the Doom Slayer is the protagonist of the Doom reboot (though it is implied he could actually be the Doomguy as well, but nothing has been confirmed).

Fugu

Yeah, this is the type of thing that will drive hordes of people from the game if they can't offer a better new player experience.
I agree. I'm a pubstomper now but it took me like, seven years of getting my ass handed to me at a time in my life where I was okay with spending my free time losing to get to that point. It's not necessary, and with good matchmaking it could be avoided. Quake isn't the kind of game where you're likely to mount a comeback (since you're probably losing for a good reason), so games like this are very, very unfun for the losing team.

Incidentally, Quake Live had the right idea but simply didn't have enough players to fill the lower tiers.

I was hoping that because the game asks you your skill level at launch that they had implemented some kind of skill-based matchmaking.

...It would seem that that's not the case.

Same mistakes all over again. Shit like this is why Quake can never be a popular game again.

Fugu

Same mistakes all over again. Shit like this is why Quake can never be a popular game again.
I think we're very early in the life cycle of the game and they have quite a bit of time to fix this particular mistake. My stats are "no matchmaking" stats (I have a 75% win rate and a 5:1 kdr) so it sure feels like right now they're doing nothing, but it's clear that they intend to restrict things soon. They have yet to actually announce the competitive mode, and I think that will force them to really start dividing players up.

As it is, most of my games are one-sided affairs unless the other team happens to also have a good, experienced player on their team, which happens maybe one in every ten games.

EDIT: Also, I think things were better on matchmaking in the closed beta, although it might just be that now that a lot of the jank has been cleared up that the game is more reliably rewarding winners.

I think we're very early in the life cycle of the game and they have quite a bit of time to fix this particular mistake. My stats are "no matchmaking" stats (I have a 75% win rate and a 5:1 kdr) so it sure feels like right now they're doing nothing, but it's clear that they intend to restrict things soon. They have yet to actually announce the competitive mode, and I think that will force them to really start dividing players up.

As it is, most of my games are one-sided affairs unless the other team happens to also have a good, experienced player on their team, which happens maybe one in every ten games.

EDIT: Also, I think things were better on matchmaking in the closed beta, although it might just be that now that a lot of the jank has been cleared up that the game is more reliably rewarding winners.

It's just frustrating because I've seen the same situation happening over the last 10 years. I can imagine none of the players on that enemy team having any fun for that entire match, and some of them just giving up the game after. Like why wouldn't they after that kind of game.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't know what they did to the super nail gun.

But wow. Its no longer a piece of shit and is actually really fun to use. But maybe its just cuz I got the quake 1 skin on it so my brain associates the gunplay with that game and I get better results.

JimiNutz

Banned
I know its sacrilegious to want to play Quake with a controller but I hope this game does well enough that they consider porting to consoles. I just can't really get on with keyboard and mouse anymore and I'd happily just put on some music and blast bots if they bought this to consoles.

I know its sacrilegious to want to play Quake with a controller but I hope this game does well enough that they consider porting to consoles. I just can't really get on with keyboard and mouse anymore and I'd happily just put on some music and blast bots if they bought this to consoles.

Pretty sure they stated it's never coming to consoles. Maybe I'm thinking of another game though.

Nekrono

I think they said it was PC only when the announced it and to my knowledge they haven't even mentioned a possible console port down the line.

Maybe if there's enough demand they would consider it but I doubt it.

bee

https://www.twitch.tv/quakechampions

don't forget quakecon tourney has started now, it's currently the almost unwatchable sacrifice though :( don't worry though there's bawls chugging on soon!! :D

duel starts later tonight

edit: oh shit, dj wheat, ddk, redeye and tosspot! it's like 2004 again

Yeah it was quake champions I was thinking of so yeah seems unlikely it will come to console

Quake Champions is strictly a PC game, one that Bethesda intends to have running at 120Hz with an uncapped frame rate. It may still come to consoles at some point, but it doesn't seem likely that you'll see the game on the current PS4 and Xbox One. Bethesda marketing boss Pete Hines told GameSpot, "There is not a console that supports our vision for [Quake Champions]."

When asked about Bethesda bringing games like Fallout Shelter to console, Hines said that the Elder Scrolls publisher makes games for platforms that it thinks "is a good idea."

"You know, Quake Champions, maybe anybody else would've been like, 'No, you have to do it, and it's got to work on every platform,'" Hines explained. "We were like, 'No, it's a PC-only thing. It's this kind of game. It's got to have this kind of performance, and it's going to be on PC full stop.' We feel very comfortable in making those calls.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-quake-champions-isnt-coming-to-ps4-and-xbox-on/1100-6442386/

Fugu

It's just frustrating because I've seen the same situation happening over the last 10 years. I can imagine none of the players on that enemy team having any fun for that entire match, and some of them just giving up the game after. Like why wouldn't they after that kind of game.
Part of it is because Quake is designed to be a very skill-oriented game and one that doesn't pull any punches when it comes to demonstrating the difference in skill between players/teams. That's a positive part of the Quake experience and one that really shouldn't change.

It's the bad matchmaking with no consideration for skill that needs to go. At least QL had self-policing communities with elo, although that too only really touched high level players.

I don't know what they did to the super nail gun.

But wow. Its no longer a piece of shit and is actually really fun to use. But maybe its just cuz I got the quake 1 skin on it so my brain associates the gunplay with that game and I get better results.
They improved the hit detection on projectile weapons in general so all of them just work better now. The SNG was borderline unusable before regardless of how well you aimed.

Fugu

It's significantly less impressive now that the melee does as much damage and has as much range as it does.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
just so people know if you link your beth.net and twitch account you can get loot boxes by watching quakecon

lefty1117

Gold Member
i loved quake 2. For some reason I just can't get into this game. I don't know why. I loved Doom 2016 so I don't think it's the movement and pace. In fact I play most shooters run & gun style these days owing to growing up with Quake. Why am I not getting into Quake Champions? Anyone else having a hard time getting into it?

Fugu

i loved quake 2. For some reason I just can't get into this game. I don't know why. I loved Doom 2016 so I don't think it's the movement and pace. In fact I play most shooters run & gun style these days owing to growing up with Quake. Why am I not getting into Quake Champions? Anyone else having a hard time getting into it?
This game is the least like Quake 2 out of the original three, so maybe that's it? I don't know.

Not sure if it's the same for you, but I can tell that age and years of playing slower-paced shooters have really deteriorated my skills in a game this fast. I am being absolutely destroyed in this game. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll either recover and/or id will add a team fortress mode so I can still get that Quake speed-feel in a game and also accomplish.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Quakecon stream has been dead for an hour lmao

It came back online just now, but apparently the backup internet connection isn't fast enough for the stream and tournament to run concurrently, so the former is going offline again and videos of the matches will be uploaded later. Prioritising the tournament schedule is of course the correct decision, but, yeah, what a mess. They did say the stream will be brought back online if the primary internet connection is restored, though, so I'd say the ISP has been given an earful, haha.

sn00zer

I played the beta and wasn't sure I'd get it. Then they added the Doom Slayer, and now I'm getting it early next month.

Also, please, there's a difference. Doomguy was the protag for Doom, The Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom. The Marine (or Doom Marine) was the protagonist of Doom 3. The Combat Engineer was the protagonist for Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil. Finally, the Doom Slayer is the protagonist of the Doom reboot (though it is implied he could actually be the Doomguy as well, but nothing has been confirmed).
I have no idea why you would think the DOOM 2016 is anyone other than Doom guy. Also Doom Slayer is just kinda cooler name

Synth

It came back online just now, but apparently the backup internet connection isn't fast enough for the stream and tournament to run concurrently, so the former is going offline again
and videos of the matches will be uploaded later. Prioritising the tournament schedule is of course the correct decision, but, yeah, what a mess. They did say the stream will be brought back online if the primary internet connection is restored, though, so I'd say the ISP has been given an earful, haha.

I miss GTV. That made things simple (and lossless).

Do I need to win the match to get a lore scroll?

I've collected quite a few, but none are unlocked in the scroll section.

Edit: Never mind, they were there now that I checked again

Sub_Level

59 kills with the super nail gun after 5 hours of play. Thats more than I got in all the months of the beta combined lol.

Now about that tri-grenade launcher thing....

E-flux

I'm definitely putting down my 30 euros as soon as i get back home in a week, was hoping to do that this weekend but got held back. What is the special ability of the doom slayer? is he any good?

Sub_Level

I'm definitely putting down my 30 euros as soon as i get back home in a week, was hoping to do that this weekend but got held back. What is the special ability of the doom slayer? is he any good?

He is really good. His double jump is fast enough to be viable in the game. His special ability is to punch people and make them explode into guts. It can be a little awkward to connect the punches but when you do you really do damage.

E-flux

He is really good. His double jump is fast enough to be viable in the game. His special ability is to punch people and make them explode into guts. It can be a little awkward to connect the punches but when you do you really do damage.

That punch sounds amazing, i saw that people mentioned that they buffed super nail gun? Do you know what changed?

Sub_Level

It just seems to hit more now. Hits register more consistently. I don't think there was a damage increase.

bee

id software and lan events, the words piss up and brewery spring to mind, guess i'll watch the duels on vod after work, cooller destroyed rapha 2-0 (6-0), the US has no chance in this event

Fugu

They didn't buff super nail gun. They just made all of the projectile weapons work better in general by improving hit detection, so it's working a lot more like it was supposed to be working this whole time.

I think Doomslayer is pretty weak. His special is worse than the other melee special and the special that just plain speeds you up, and the double jump makes you good at dodging rockets but very, very bad at dodging the shotgun and LG, so it's pretty exploitable.

Sub_Level

As much as I appreciate the rock music added to Burial Chamber (no sarcasm I really do like it), I had to turn the music off and start listening to my own stuff.

Played a few matches to some Quake 3 dreamcast music from youtube. It still fits so well.

I'm already running into the pains of hero-izing Quake. I like Doom Slayer because he knows how to shut up, but I'm not really jiving with his setup.

A part of me sincerely hopes there's a mode released that just equalizes everyone and removes abilities, and maybe limits it to the characters that are about equal size to one another or lets you choose who you want the enemy model to be while keeping hitboxes standardized.

Commander Keen a possible new character?
15034993503956msw5.png

I'm getting giddy at some of those names.

Hunter, Xaero, Uriel, Orbb, Klesk, Daemia and Crash are all great choices from the old Q3. Keel I think is there just to appease the old QuakeLive players who love their neon green Keel skins.

Those other names I don't recognize(aside from Commander Keen). I guess they're from older Quake games or other Bethesda properties.

There's also a LOT more characters than I was thinking on that list. Hopefully we get some announcements for these characters during QuakeCon.

JaseC

Those other names I don't recognize(aside from Commander Keen). I guess they're from older Quake games or other Bethesda properties.

Athena is the name of the female player model in Quake 2 MP:

athena.gif

Death Knight is an enemy in the original Quake (and possibly another hint that a reboot is in development):

latest

Raine is Nicholas Raine, the silent protagonist of Rage:

latest

Beast Master, Ingrid, Terada and Unumrey don't ring a bell to me, either, and are probably new characters created specifically for the game... well, Giant Bomb's character database has Beastmaster listed as a Dota 2 character and Ingrid as a Capcom fighting game character, but I sincerely doubt Bethesda is bringing them to the world of Quake.

JaseC

In the same interview they say aren't bringing Fallout Shelter to console.. it has since come out on console.

It sounds like Hines just danced around the question, which is often what developers/publishers do when they want to indicate "Yes" but can't say it.

Athena is the name of the female player model in Quake 2 MP:

Death Knight is an enemy in the original Quake (and possibly another hint that a reboot is in development):

Raine is Nicholas Raine, the silent protagonist of Rage:

Beast Master, Ingrid, Terada and Unumrey don't ring a bell to me, either, and are probably new characters created specifically for the game... well, Giant Bomb's character database has Beastmaster listed as a Dota 2 character and Ingrid as a Capcom fighting game character, but I sincerely doubt Bethesda is bringing them to the world of Quake.

Interesting. I guess Athena will have a Quake 2 style grappling hook as her ability, which will be really cool to see considering that QC has brought back all the movement styles from previous Quake games. I figured Bitterman would have been the Quake 2 rep, but having Athena be the one is a good choice!

I hadn't considered that "Death Knight" would be the Quake 1 enemy. That's an interesting choice, if it turns out to be true. I guess his ability would be that sword slash that causes a projectile spread to fire out.

The protagonist of RAGE is going to be added? That's a game I never played, so I've got no idea of what he can do and how he'll fit in the game.

You're probably right about those other names being new characters, or at the most, "re-imagined" versions of certain Quake 3 characters. I personally think Clutch is a re-imagined TankJr.

Top Bottom