• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions: $30 for paid version, Doom Slayer added, 6 new heroes by end of 2018

I'm getting better slowly. I had my first decent game. I went 21-13. Most of the time I break even or go 10-20. Regardless this game is fucking fun.

I have no idea why you would think the DOOM 2016 is anyone other than Doom guy. Also Doom Slayer is just kinda cooler name

Because the Doomguy from the original games has a backstory that places him on Earth with a family, whereas the Doom Slayer is something of an old entity that, for eons, has been, uh, slaying the demons from hell.

bee

there might not be as much action as q3/ql but this game/format has FAR more tension, the end of that cooller game had me shouting at the screen

dawid

I'm having trouble with microstuttering in the game. It feels like a problem with asset-loading while moving across the map. Always on 150+ fps. Tried a few drivers and lowering some settings but no changes.

Anyone has a solution for this?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
A part of me sincerely hopes there's a mode released that just equalizes everyone and removes abilities, and maybe limits it to the characters that are about equal size to one another or lets you choose who you want the enemy model to be while keeping hitboxes standardized.

sounds like you just want quake 3 :p

abracadaver

lol I just played my first 2 rounds

the FOV was way too high, like 130 or something it looked stupid

all the weapons look awful. I didn't know what weapon I was carrying. Rocket Launcher or Rail Gun? I couldn't tell until I shot

No auto switch option? Always had to scroll my mouse wheel to switch to a new weapon

I have no idea how to use the champion powers or what they do. Only played with the Ranger

The first map I played was Q3DM6 with slight modifications but they renamed it to something else

First impression: meh

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
all the weapons look awful. I didn't know what weapon I was carrying. Rocket Launcher or Rail Gun? I couldn't tell until I shot

The weapons luckily got alternate skins. For example your rocket launcher can switch to the Quake 1 style launcher, quake 3 style launcher, and your rail gun can switch to the Quake 2 style rail gun.

bee

No auto switch option? Always had to scroll my mouse wheel to switch to a new weapon

I have no idea how to use the champion powers or what they do. Only played with the Ranger

The first map I played was Q3DM6 with slight modifications but they renamed it to something else

lol

fov is user error, there's a fov slider in game and an ini to tweak just like most pc games

the weapons simply don't look the same? the rocket is red the rail is green and very different

you definitely shouldnt be using auto switch or the mouse wheel, all weapons bound to keys/mouse buttons

get some patience and look at the in game videos which show the champion abilities?

it is a modified dm6 correct

MiguelItUp

1. I believe you can change it, if not, it's going to happen. Early access gonna early access I suppose.

2. I personally don't have a problem with them, or deciphering which is which. Maybe that's just me? I doubt it though. Regardless I plan on re-skinning them with in-game currency.

3. Honestly this has been my biggest gripes thus far, but I'm sure it will be added in the future. Just annoying as an old Quake player.

4. When you select a character there's a video preview that plays of what their ability is and how to use it along the left side.

5. That's because the Quake community wanted to see it come back. I personally am still hoping for Q2DM1.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

you don't want to do either of these things. bind your guns to easily accessible places around wasd (or esdf if you prefer). i have shotgun on q, nailgun on e, tri on r, rail on f, rockets on mousewheel up, and lightning on mousewheel down. your game will improve tenfold once you stop fumbling for the right weapon in the middle of a fight.

as for the rest of your issues.... be smart and play more, i guess? you'll acclimate eventually.

sell the armour parts etc you get for champions you don't use?
Yes, I can do that. I have basically an entire costume for the roller skate lady. I might do that tonight.

I'm just saying don't tell someone they can change the way a weapon looks as if it's an easy thing anyone can do.

bee

Yes, I can do that. I have basically an entire costume for the roller skate lady. I might do that tonight.

I'm just saying don't tell someone they can change the way a weapon looks as if it's an easy thing anyone can do.

so why say they cost 12 dollars? i'm lvl 6 i think and almost have enough for a 1200 gun

luka

Loves Robotech S1

well, it is easy to do. it just takes a bit more time depending on how good/lucky you are

if someone actually has a difficult time identifying weapons because of the designs, that's something that can only be fixed by actually playing the game

(for what it's worth, i despise the new railgun and swapping it for the q2 version was the first thing i did)

so why say they cost 12 dollars? i'm lvl 6 i think and almost have enough for a 1200 gun

Because it costs 12 dollars?

If someone hates the game because they don't like the weapon models, telling them to go play the game for 5+ hours to change one item's skin, isn't really a solution.

bee

Because it costs 12 dollars?

If someone hates the game because they don't like the weapon models, telling them to go play the game for 5+ hours to change one item's skin, isn't really a solution.

i didn't really take that post seriously ("I have no idea how to use the champion powers or what they do") just countering with the fact the weapons and armours can all be got for free

Fugu

sounds like you just want quake 3 :p
Look, QC is fine and all -- it's better than Quake 2 in my opinion -- but yes, I really would just like Quake 3. Q3A (and QL) remain significantly better versions of this formula in many ways.

Duffk1ng

XI0CA6m.jpg

So uhhhh the matchmaking isn't so hot for newbies is it?

My #1 wish from my first few games is being able to see how much damage I did/enemy remaining health. I think I'm getting a lot of close calls.

Fugu

XI0CA6m.jpg

So uhhhh the matchmaking isn't so hot for newbies is it?
It's not good for players on the other side of the equation either. As much as I like destroying people who don't know how to navigate dm6, a close game is much more fun to play. After 40 games my KDR is still above 3, which is way too high.

Duffk1ng

My first game wasn't too bad, we scraped a win and one guy on my team went super positive but was cancelled out by the guy who went 1 and 17.

The game does seem to stack high ranks on one side though, possibly bad luck. I know it doesn't equate to skill, especially in games like Quake which have been around forever but still... I've never played against people before and every kill is a real challenge.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Look, QC is fine and all -- it's better than Quake 2 in my opinion -- but yes, I really would just like Quake 3. Q3A (and QL) remain significantly better versions of this formula in many ways.

i was poking fun at the post but i actually agree. q3/live is a better game and i would be happy to just play it forever.

but at the same time i don't think ql with better graphics is the best way to approach a new game, and i also don't really think separating the userbase between people who want a pure game and people who want champions would be a good thing either - for matchmaking to work you need a big pool of players. i'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how things develop

Bydobob

I'm having trouble with microstuttering in the game. It feels like a problem with asset-loading while moving across the map. Always on 150+ fps. Tried a few drivers and lowering some settings but no changes.

Anyone has a solution for this?

It's my biggest gripe with the game and seems to be tied to high framerates and data upload. Some people have had success with this "fix" combined with capping their framerate. I'm away from my PC at the moment but I'd be interested to know how you get on with a really low cap, say 90 for instance.

Fugu

no, i totally agree. q3/live is a better game and i would be happy to just play it forever. i was poking fun at your post because you were literally just asking for it to be q3 :)

but at the same time i don't think ql with better graphics is the best way to approach a new game, and i also don't really think separating the userbase between people who want a pure game and people who want champions would be a good thing either - for matchmaking to work you need a big pool of players. i'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how things develop
I think id managed their first attempt to revive Quake 3 pretty horribly, and if they'd done a better job with the logistics then the game itself would have been able to shine through more.

However, I also agree that splitting the player base would be bad. Also, I'm not the original poster you were replying to.

Oh hey, the Classic fires from the center.

And suddenly my aim with the rocket launcher got a lot better. I love center aimed rocket launchers.

I also like how this weapon's canon name comes from TF2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cooller's having trouble answering to clawz's aggressiveness.

Edit: All over red rover in favour of clawz.

Dommo

The netcode in this game is still rubbish. Hell, I swear it was better in beta. Getting really sick of it. I'm in Australia, notorious for shitty internet, but I haven't had anything close to this miserable an experience online in quite some time, and Quake of all games needs to be silky smooth.

I get frustrated enough as is playing Quake, but this just takes it to a whole new level. There's nothing like running into an enemy and immediately rubber banding for 5+ seconds then waking up to find you've been killed. Or launching pin point rockets only to have them not register at all then dying.

Every 10 or so seconds, there's something I'm dealing with, whether it's micro stuttering, micro-lag problems, minor delay in hit registers, or large rubber banding.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The netcode in this game is still rubbish. Hell, I swear it was better in beta. Getting really sick of it. I'm in Australia, notorious for shitty internet, but I haven't had anything close to this miserable an experience online in quite some time, and Quake of all games needs to be silky smooth.

I get frustrated enough as is playing Quake, but this just takes it to a whole new level. There's nothing like running into an enemy and immediately rubber banding for 5+ seconds then waking up to find you've been killed. Or launching pin point rockets only to have them not register at all then dying.

Every 10 or so seconds, there's something I'm dealing with, whether it's micro stuttering, micro-lag problems, minor delay in hit registers, or large rubber banding.

apparently it has to do with the game's upload rate being higher than normal, presumably to collect more data during the EA period. lots of people who live in areas with extremely low upload speeds are reporting the same issue.

Dommo

apparently it has to do with the game's upload rate being higher than normal, presumably to collect more data during the EA period. lots of people who live in areas with extremely low upload speeds are reporting the same issue.

Maybe I should just check out until the game's out of Early Access. The netcode will probably just frustrate me out of ever playing it again. Which is annoying because I just bought the Champions Pack on Steam....

Uriah

How does Doom Slayer's Leap attack work with his active? It says you have to hit the key again, but it seems kinda random to me.

Schug

Neo Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WITA9DpejSg

For those wondering about the netcode, your client update rate is based on your fps. The higher your fps, the more data you send to the server. For those experiencing any type of rubberbanding you should try to cap your framerate using rivatuner or some outside tool (no frame limiter built into the game). There is also extra data being sent for testing purposes. I know that isn't what people want to hear, but that is how the game currently handles it.

I added a great link to someone who has extensively tested the netcode in this game and others.

i was poking fun at the post but i actually agree. q3/live is a better game and i would be happy to just play it forever.

That's a good point! I like things being simple, but the game needs a concentrated vision to go for. I'm just a vain person in video games and I'd rather be Doomguy or Ranger in my Quake, not feel pressured to go for Hot Topic girls or "that guy who looks in his 30s but is still rocking high school fashion" if they just end up playing better, haha.

Top Bottom