• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Episode Pack(Live Action Show), 75GB download on Xbox One

TheKeyPit

Banned
Seventy five fucking gigs. Wtf. Yesterday I was super pumped about this game and pre ordered it, then today I was browsing YT vids about the game and saw some walkthrough vids that had the whole of episode one of the live action shorts uploaded along with the opening chapters. Really, what was the bloody point of the live action stuff? Over 20 minutes of mostly pointless, slow moving, slightly corny, largely boring exposition. At least it ended in a cool way, but really, this live action stuff is a big ass potential problem area. Totally killed the pacing and brought a whole new meaning to "cinematic game". I mean, 2-3 parts of his 5 part upload of the first area of the game, were just live action video or cut scenes lol.

Fact that it all has to be streamed or downloaded is annoying too. Couldn't they have just put these extras on a second blu-ray? If you're going to spend the budget on the clips, you might as well spend the extra on consumer convenience too. Not to mention they're guaranteed to get the full picture in terms of story.

Anyway, still holding out on reviews, but I'm not convinced about the live action stuff.

I'm happy to see a developer try something new. You can choose to turn it off if you don't want to see the show.

Thats neat, but you can still get 4 seasons of breaking bad at 1080p and DTS sound for that size of download. Really odd.

Not saying it's not a super weird high number. But everyone saying it is just 4 x 22 minutes are wrong.

Also there's more FMV then just those episodes inside the game.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Not being able to get everything on a physical disc is a deal breaker. Even if some of us are able to download this, it'll kill their data limit.

Caayn

Not being able to get everything on a physical disc is a deal breaker. Even if some of us are able to download this, it'll kill their data limit.
Data caps are so last century :p

If you can't download it you can stream it, if your cap is too low for that as well switch ISP or disable the live actions footage in the game's settings.

I know that I'll be downloading this sweet uncompressed sugar.

Syriel

Netflix's bitrate is horrible low. That's why it uses so few data per hour to stream.

Netflix UHD has a lower bitrate than a 1080p blu-ray for example.

Netflix UHD also uses a different codec than Blu-ray, so a direct bitrate comparison is pointless. ;)

When asked if an option will exist for those wanting to download it, Louden says that it will only be offered on the Xbox One version, but the Windows 10 version does feature 4K resolution, making the video size all the more substantial. Quantum Break is set to launch on both Xbox One and Windows 10 April 5.

It's typically intended to be streamed, not downloaded.

The PC version doesn't even have a download option IIRC.

In other words, the PC version effectively expires when Microsoft shuts down Quantum Break's servers -- if that's before the Windows Store is closed.

Caayn

Netflix UHD also uses a different codec than Blu-ray, so a direct bitrate comparison is pointless. ;)
True, however the bitrate comparison between h.265 and h.264 is fairly easy.

Netflix uses roughly 15.6M/bits with the h.265 codec for 4k stream, while a 1080p blu-ray can use 40M/bits with the h.264 codec. 15.6M/bits would roughly translate to 30M/bits on a h.264 codec. Leaving the 1080p blu-ray with a higher effective bitrate while using an older codec and only outputting a fourth of the pixels. Resulting in a much higher quality image.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
In 5 years time the hot new feature for next-gen consoles will be dedicated hard-drive farms located in the Midwest. 10 acres of HDD space per console owner.

cireza

I only have a 500GB Xbox One, which is more like 350GB really. I did not think that games and content would become so big so fast :/

76 gigs? It's 1080 for the live action cinematics on the X1 right? Must be a reason behind this. For 1080p Blu-Rays it's usually high quality H.264 at 5000 KBPS with VBR for superior IQ as the files are in the physical media, in this case, the HDD. Since the PC version is only through streaming and UHD, it mostly will be 4K 24FPS with CBR. Audio formats should be as usual, AC-3/LPCM and lossless audio for Xbox One (D-THD, DTS-HDMA).

Either this or there are various number of branching outcomes to each episode/chapter at the behest of the player and how they play it. Certain prerequisites (side missions/objectives etc) which may unlock certain cinematics through progression. Weird, I always thought this was a linear game. Anyway, they better have a theater mode, after completion/unlocks, for X1 players who D/L this or they're gonna pissed. XD

Easy solution to both X1 & PC players would be to remember your choices at the end of each episode, and before proceeding to the next one, snap YouTube/alt+tab, go to random Youtuber who's uploaded all the cinematics (this mostly happens for all games these days), choose the cinematic based on your choice of action in your game, save your monthly data and enjoy at 144p
m9VvAVo.jpg

foxbeldin

Not starting a new thread for this but someone on a french forum seems to have leaked play times.

According to him, including the live action in every playthrough :

-His first play through took him 8h15 while exploring and searching for a maximum of objects (i don't know what he refers to)
-His second playthrough took him : 6h45-7h while making different choices. He spent a bit of time looking for other objects.
-Third playthrough : he rushed and it took him 6h. He made the choices so he'd have the storyline he liked the most.

Also according to him, QB is a game you have to play 2-3 times to be able to see everything. More is useless, but once is stupid. (his words)

Source : He deleted his post but it was quoted in the thread.

Shin-chan

Not starting a new thread for this but someone on a french forum seems to have leaked play times.

-His first play through took him 8h15 while exploring and searching for a maximum of objects (i don't know what he refers to)
-His second playthrough took him : 6h45-7h while making different choices. He spent a bit of time looking for other objects.
-Third playthrough : he rushed and it took him 6h. He made the choices so he'd have the storyline he liked the most.

Also according to him, QB is a game you have to play 2-3 times to be able to see everything. More is useless, but once is stupid. (his words)

Cool, is there any indication if the different branches lead to different gameplay scenarios or is it purely to alter the story?

mike4001_

Thats neat, but you can still get 4 seasons of breaking bad at 1080p and DTS sound for that size of download. Really odd.

Yes it´s kind of strange.

To be fair => The Bitrate of BluRays is much higher than "releases for download".

But still 75 GB is way too much.

Unless it´s 4K ready ? :)

nib95

Banned

Is that 8h hours including the multiple 20+ minute long live action cut scenes?

nib95

Banned
from my post

Damn. So potentially Order 1886 territories of overall length. Bearing in mind, we have no idea how much game time is occupied by the in game (non live action) cut scenes, which seem rather plentiful. Then again, it looks to have more overall replay value.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Damn. So potentially Order 1886 territories of overall length. Maybe less if you take in to account the regular in game cut scenes as well. Then again, it looks to have more overall replay value.

Overall there should be 30 "slightly" different live action show episodes.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
76 gigs? It's 1080 for the live action cinematics on the X1 right? Must be a reason behind this. For 1080p Blu-Rays it's usually high quality H.264 at 5000 KBPS with VBR for superior IQ as the files are in the physical media, in this case, the HDD. Since the PC version is only through streaming and UHD, it mostly will be 4K 24FPS with CBR. Audio formats should be as usual, AC-3/LPCM and lossless audio for Xbox One (D-THD, DTS-HDMA).

Either this or there are various number of branching outcomes to each episode/chapter at the behest of the player and how they play it. Certain prerequisites (side missions/objectives etc) which may unlock certain cinematics through progression. Weird, I always thought this was a linear game. Anyway, they better have a theater mode, after completion/unlocks, for X1 players who D/L this or they're gonna pissed. XD

Easy solution to both X1 & PC players would be to remember your choices at the end of each episode, and before proceeding to the next one, snap YouTube/alt+tab, go to random Youtuber who's uploaded all the cinematics (this mostly happens for all games these days), choose the cinematic based on your choice of action in your game, save your monthly data and enjoy at 144p
m9VvAVo.jpg
It's the modern day equivalent of a 7 CD FMV game from 1997.

4 x 22 mins episodes with something like 40 different permutations of them.

EvB

Damn. So potentially Order 1886 territories of overall length. Bearing in mind, we have no idea how much game time is occupied by the in game (non live action) cut scenes, which seem rather plentiful. Then again, it looks to have more overall replay value.

None of the game is occupied by these episodes as they unlock as you play on the main menu . They will not play as part of the game

Gamezone

Gold Member

I'm actually okay with this. I don't have time for 50+ hours of open world games. I rather have a shorter period of quality gameplay.

None of the game is occupied by these episodes as they unlock as you play on the main menu . They will not play as part of the game

They play as a part of the game, and you go straight into one.

You end a Act (game part) and then you go to a Junction (game - choice section) and that triggers a Episode (tv show)

Havik

I wonder how many different episodes there are. If you can make 2 different choices before each episode and the choice of the previous episodes also makes a difference on the next episodes then:

the first episode would have 2 variants, the 2nd 4 the 3rd 8 and the 4th 16.
then there would be 2+4+8+16 = 30 different episodes so 660 minutes of footage.

c0de

Seriously, is MS doing *anything* right this gen when it comes to exclusives? Every game starts with so much expectations and near release they always manage to fuck something up, often essential things. People just observing this scratch their head how people in charge are responsible for this continued mess and how bad they handle social media the whole gen.

No, as Fox already has pointed out, that playthrough times already count in the live action episodes footages (around 22*4 = little less than an hour and a half) . To this time you should add the realtime cutscenes that are insteads directly in the game.

I applaud Remedy for this. They are giving gamers a choice. Stream it ala Netflix without worry or download it for the video purists. It's very wise for them to have done this and I wish 343 Studios had done the same with Halo 4's Spartan OP's cutscenes.

Top Bottom