• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break rated for PC in Brazil

ethomaz

Banned
Expected.

But I guess it is too early... an announce after release on Xbone is the safe thing to do and not something like happened with TR with the announce happening before release.

Bluth54

Not surprising, I expected this to come to PC eventually. Hopefully we wont have to wait too long after the Xbox One version.

SparkTR

Xbox hardware (outside of accessories) has never been valuable to MS... but the Live subscriptions are, and currently only users of Xbox hardware have been willing to provide that.

Sure currently, but with the right value proposition they can push subscriptions to any of their platforms. They'll want to eventually. If that's the main strand keeping them tethered to the Xbox hardware as a tentpole model then it's going to break sooner rather than later. Or even without it, I'm sure they'll trade their subscriptions for the kind of store that Apple of Google have built around their OS's in a heartbeat.

While Remedy Entertainment has not announced a PC version of Quantum Break, company co-founder Sam Lake said in November that he hopes the game will be released on PC one day.

Maybe he got confused and actually meant "day one" instead of "one day"

McHuj

Sure currently, but with the right value proposition they can push subscriptions to any of their platforms. They'll want to eventually. If that's the main strand keeping them tethered to the Xbox hardware as a tentpole model then it's going to break sooner rather than later. Or even without it, I'm sure they'll trade their subscriptions for the kind of store that Apple of Google have built around their OS's in a heartbeat.

I think it's too late, no PC gamers are going to pay money for Live and no one will use the App Store willingly, unless forced for an exclusive. With Steam, Origin, Uplay, and other online retailers there's not a lot of room for MS. They blew it, it's too late now.

If MS wants to abandon hardware like Xbox, then they should just go full third party with their IPs.

Paying for Live on the PC? Yeah, right.

Yeah, I'm sure all those PC gamers pirating the game will help it be commercially successful.

Low quality bait.

Rosur

PC version of this would be cool considering I've sold my XBOX one.

Also maybe this is now happening due to Denuvo actually working?

SparkTR

I think it's too late, no PC gamers are going to pay money for Live and no one will use the App Store willingly, unless forced for an exclusive. With Steam, Origin, Uplay, and other online retailers there's not a lot of room for MS. They blew it, it's too late now.

If MS wants to abandon hardware like Xbox, then they should just go full third party with their IPs.

They're never going to abandon Xbox, it just won't be confined to a single peice of hardware anymore. It's going to encompass all Microsoft products, from Windows PCs, laptops, mobiles, consoles etc. There's also plenty they can do to add value. Make one subscription encompass all of a customers devices, strengthen their efforts with GwG, add some interesting interconnectivity (cross platform saves etc). Basically the last time they offered a subscription for PC there was no value added. Gamers were getting a worse service than what they already had and they were paying for it. They'd have more sense now to try something better if that's what they have in mind.

McHuj

This would make less sense than anything else.

They're already doing it with minecraft. And they have had to start providing their office suites on iOS and android since no one gives a shit about their platform. Selling their software to the largest install base possible is the best way to go.

Synth

They're already doing it with minecraft. And they have had to start providing their office suites on iOS and android since no one gives a shit about their platform. Selling their software to the largest install base possible is the best way to go.

Yea, they do it with Minecraft, but that game's exceptional and was multiplat before it was even theirs.

Their other offerings are typically designed to be services... pretty much analogous to what Xbox and Xbox Live represent. It's a very different prospect than create games for tens of millions of dollars to be sold as a one off against increasing strong competition, before started over and doing the same again ad infinitum. For a company like Sega, this probably sounded appealing as their consoles struggled (and that sure went well), but for a company like MS, that sort of endeavour just becomes not worth their time... especially is the current situation is deemed to not be worth continuing.

JaggedSac

It's important to make sure everyone knows you've only bought/only buying an XB1 because you've got no option.

People might think you enjoy owning it, otherwise.

The funny part is that they would actually be buying the XB1 version as well with this purchase, since it will no doubt be cross-buy.

Psyren

And that's sort of the issue with MS right now isn't it.

Their goals and ideals are at odds with reality, and i'm pretty sure the internal corporate wars being fought inside of those offices are what's causing them to flip-flop about things. They themselves don't really know what they want to achieve...

If/when they abandon hardware that is what I see them doing. MGS would become an Activision/EA type entity and annualize stuff like Halo, Fable, and Forza and release them on everything from PS5 to the NX and PC's. Either that or hold a fire sale on their catalogue and leave gaming entirely to focus on Windows.

SparkTR

Their goals and ideals are at odds with reality, and i'm pretty sure the internal corporate wars being fought inside of those offices are what's causing them to flip-flop about things. They themselves don't really know what it is they want to achieve...

They know exactly what they want to achieve, Nadella's been talking about it for over a year now. Unifying Microsoft's ecosystem being a very technically difficult task alongside an established community like this has always meant it was going to be a slow road.

Hmm interesting if true. Wonder if it will be day and date with XB1 release..

Seems to me like Microsoft would rather have kept this under wraps to help push hardware sales in April, but I guess the impact overall is negligible really.

Yeah, I'm sure all those PC gamers pirating the game will help it be commercially successful.

Lmao what year is it?

Green Yoshi

Killer Instinct on PC, Quantum Break on PC, ReCore on PC, etc etc

I'm happy to have the chance of trying these games on my computer but at the same time this is the end of my idea of buying XONE. I'd love to play Scalebound but I don't buy sistems only for one game, no way.
Then buy it for Halo and Forza, too. ^^

The funny part is that they would actually be buying the XB1 version as well with this purchase, since it will no doubt be cross-buy.

Nah will eat my hat if that were the case.

They'll make you buy it twice for that profit deal.
It'd be like SFV being cross-buy on Steam which is absurd.

Their goals and ideals are at odds with reality, and i'm pretty sure the internal corporate wars being fought inside of those offices are what's causing them to flip-flop about things. They themselves don't really know what they want to achieve...
They're going to have to figure it out, and soon. The emergence of ios/android has made the PC more or less obsolete in the modern world and that is only going to become more apparent the more advanced mobile tech becomes and with the continued iterations by Apple and Google. MS needs to figure carve out a new niche because in ten years retailers won't be selling PC's anymore and that is a huge chunk of their business. Software and services will probably be their future and the days of them being the multi billion dollar corporate giant that they are may be numbered.

SparkTR

If/when they abandon hardware that is what I see them doing. MGS would become an Activision/EA type entity and annualize stuff like Halo, Fable, and Forza and release them on everything from PS5 to the NX and PC's. Either that or hold a fire sale on their catalogue and leave gaming entirely to focus on Windows.

I will be shocked if they ever abandon hardware. Expanding their focus towards a wider Microsoft ecosystem doesn't mean killing the Xbox or their living room computing options. They'll just become less important and be a cog in a larger ecosystem.

dr_rus

I think the Steam/WinStore split of Rise of the Tomb Raider is going to inform Microsoft's decision on what to do with its paid games. Gears UE will spell out Microsoft's intentions.

I don't think that this is the case. RotTR isn't MS's game, the IP isn't theirs and the publisher is not them. It was never their decision on how to publish RotTR on PC.

Gears and QB on the other hand are Microsoft's games and as such they will most likely be WinStore "exclusive" without any dependency on how RotTR will sell in WinStore. I'm not expecting them to release their IPs anywhere but in WinStore. Well, I'm not expecting them to release QB on PC at all but I still hope.

JaggedSac

Nah will eat my hat if that were the case.

They'll make you buy it twice for that profit deal.
It'd be like SFV being cross-buy on Steam which is absurd.

MS has already stated cross-buy will be a thing. If they aren't going to support that, no one will. KI has it as an example.

Synth

They know exactly what they want to achieve, Nadella's been talking about it for over a year now. Unifying Microsoft's ecosystem being a very technically difficult task alongside an established community like this has always meant it was going to be a slow road.

Ok, so to get back to the "third-party" stuff... how does this work in regards to releasing isolated game within other companies closed ecosystems? Release a game on PS5, and you don't strengthen the MS ecosystem, you strengthen Sony's (who will be looking to expand into the PC space with stuff like PS Now as well). They can't provide an Xbox Live on PlayStation... same with Nintendo. Pretty much anything that's not a f2p that they can monetize as a service becomes it's own isolated entity. Shit, EA can't even get their small little EA Access ecosystem off the ground as a result of Sony veto'ing.

The ecosystem stuff that Nadella talks about is the Xbox/Windows10 stuff we're seeing take form today. Not the typical publisher route that you're suggesting. They may look to expand this over time (for example deploying Xbox services to Mac), but is they can't make Xbox as an ecosystem work, then they'd likely lose interest in gaming very rapidly, cashing out on whatever IPs hold value at the time. They'd likely keep Minecraft though, because that has application beyond the general gaming sphere (as stuff like Minecraft Edu demonstrates).

Guerrilla

If this turns out to be wrong, I suspect most of the people here being "relieved" that they now won't have to buy an xbox one and can dodge this terrible fate, still won't buy an xbox one. I'll subscribe to this thread for future reference...

Banned
Awesome. I hope it is coming to PC. That leaves Halo MCC and 5, along with Gears 4 and Scalebound. My dreams are coming true.

SparkTR

Ok, so to get back to the "third-party" stuff... how does this work in regards to releasing isolated game within other companies closed ecosystems? Release a game on PS5, and you don't strengthen the MS ecosystem, you strengthen Sony's (who will be looking to expand into the PC space with stuff like PS Now as well). They can't provide an Xbox Live on PlayStation... same with Nintendo. Pretty much anything that's not a f2p that they can monetize as a service becomes it's own isolated entity. Shit, EA can't even get their small little EA Access ecosystem off the ground as a result of Sony veto'ing.

The ecosystem stuff that Nadella talks about is the Xbox/Windows10 stuff we're seeing take form today. Not the typical publisher route that you're suggesting. They may look to expand this over time (for example deploying Xbox services to Mac), but is they can't make Xbox as an ecosystem work, then they'd likely lose interest in gaming very rapidly, cashing out on whatever IPs hold value at the time. They'd likely keep Minecraft though, because that has application beyond the general gaming sphere (as stuff like Minecraft Edu demonstrates).

Somebody else suggested that. As far as I'm concerned a Microsoft published game won't ever appear on Playstation/Nintendo platforms outside of Minecraft. The Android/iOS markets are too large to ignore as far as their productivity and office suites are concerned, Microsoft lives for products like Office so they need to look at where the users are. Sony and Nintendo are small fish as far as revenue is concerned, they're not anything worth going after. Hell, gaming in general is.

MS has already stated cross-buy will be a thing. If they aren't going to support that, no one will. KI has it as an example.

Isn't Killer Instinct F2P at this point?
Same for Fable Legends as well?

This won't be the case for a full retail title like QB, it's too much money left on the table.

? The Witness was always coming to PC...
I think they mean the fact that Witness got rated for Xbox One but Blow said that's just in case he decides to do it in the future he won't need it to get re rated.

But MS doesn't need to worry about money for ratings so I doubt they would rate something just for the hell of it. If they rated it, it's coming.

Psyren

Actions, words, you know the saying...

While Nadella has been clear from the very beginning about what it is they want. They've really been struggling to not only to get it all together, but their execution of their initiatives and their attitude to date has been shoddy, and as cultivated a feeling of skepticism and cynicism amongst the global community at large.

I think biggest factor here really is MS struggling to get their various divisions and upper management to get on board with the same corporate message and not deliberately trying to stifle on another, along with listening to the global community at large and giving them what they want...

Is it though? Are there a whole lot of xb1/pc double dippers?

I'm sure the majority of buyers will be casuals without a gaming PC yeah.

But the thought of chucking in a free PC game in addition to XB1 purchase (with how much games cost today), I'd be very surprised if this is cross buy.

Of course I could be wrong, just don't see it happening.
A precedent would basically be set for sure.

Guerrilla

I'm sure the majority of buyers will be casuals without a gaming PC yeah.

But the thought of chucking in a free PC game in addition to XB1 purchase (with how much games cost today), I'd be very surprised if this is cross buy.

Of course I could be wrong, just don't see it happening.
A precedent would basically be set for sure.

Well it would of course be tied to your xb gamertag on pc, so it really only affects the people who buy it for xb1 first and then for pc again or vice versa, which is not that many I reckon for a purely single player game. I bet it's well below 1% of people (number from my ass) and it could generate some good will.

Microsoft is giving options for their exclusives games.. If you want to play the game early and don't have a lot of money, buy and Xbox One and a low quality version of the game, if you want a expensive version buy a gaming pc. I like the idea. At the end the casuals are going to buy the first option. Is a win win situation for microsoft and the hardcore gamers.

Fractal

Banned
Do PC gamers (and people faking XB1 interest) like waiting years and years?
Not really... only, it's hard to justify buying a whole system for a single game. For example, as of now the only PS4 exclusive I find interesting is Bloodborne, but I don't find it that interesting to justify buying a PS4.

On XB1, Quantum Break is the only exclusive which interests me so far, and if I can get it on the PC after some time, it's great news, since it's unlikely I'll ever be buying an XB1. Waiting is preferable to missing out on a game.

Top Bottom